(Topic ID: 154907)

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays at TPF!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CV colored (resized).png
    20160822_213250 (resized).jpg
    20160822_213136 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    (23)_ColorDMD_Pinball_Displays_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Slugfest_1_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpeg
    CFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpeg
    chabmo_(resized).jpg
    popeye_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7322_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

Fitment isn't just an issue for games like CV and SC, the LCD blocks my backbox mod on my Metallica, too. Very much looking forward to an LED solution for a few games!

Can't wait.

--Donnie

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Why jump immediately to the (assumed) negative? It's just logical for ColorDMD to support this alternate display type now that it exists.

Agreed.

I think the patent issue has already been played out. Anyone who does a competing PRODUCT in the US that violates the patent, will be notified they risk legal issue. pin2dmd violates the patent when used to colorize, and as such is licensed for non-commercial use only and can't be sold as a product in the US. Other solutions do exist to colorize in the US, but don't appear to violate the patent so they will go on.

None of us has to like that they have the market cornered on the main way to colorize, but they have that right legally under the current US system. Don't like that? Work to change the system, don't yell at one of MANY people operating legally within it. Or dig around and create a solution that doesn't violate their patent. It can be done.

--Donnie

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am amazed how people will put tons of money into mods and then not feel that ColorDMD is a worthy mod for the price in comparison.
    To me there are very few mods that are better than ColorDMD and glare reducing glass. There are a few mods such as the TRON ramp lights that give a decent bang for the buck but there really are not many mods at that level.

Agreed.

Their customer service, in the rare event you need it, is also top notch. I actually bought an early model from a guy second-hand who had never used it. And then *I* forgot I had it because I had only bought it because it was a killer deal and at the time I didn't have a title that needed it. Then I forgot about the world of pinball for a couple years (other than playing games, I wasn't on the forums or doing any mods). When I found it, MANY years passed since it was new, and ColorDMD had been selling units for YEARS that didn't need you to email for a license key.

Even so, I emailed on a Saturday for a license key, figuring at best I'd have one on Monday. A couple hours later I had a license key. Downloaded the ROM I needed and installed it and was in business.

When you consider how much time and energy has to go into colorizing every frame of a title along with the development of the logic to make these work like they do, the price is reasonable, IMHO. Especially when compared to what it would cost to just replace your display with a monochrome one.

I'm pretty sure the LED version will be nearly the same price as the LCD one. I'm fine with that. I'll be buying a few. And I have and will likely use some of the more DIY solutions, too. But for titles already colorized by ColorDMD the price is worth it to me. The DIY solutions even at the absolute rock bottom are going to cost you $150ish in parts alone, and that's if you're waiting on your LED panels from China (3ish weeks), and then you have to figure out how to mash it all up. And then you're sitting down for a long time to actually colorize, or you're leveraging the work of someone who already did it for you and was nice enough to give all that work away for free. I'm not sure what titles are out there now or if ANY of them are complete, but if so, it's only a handful.

--Donnie

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

This also means we can reinstall the original light boards in TAF - awesome!

There is an LED board mod you can buy that fits with a ColorDMD LCD, FWIW. Works great. I'd probably buy one of those before I'd sell my LCD in favor of a full ColorDMD LED version. And since I already have one, I'll definitely leave it like it is.

But yeah, the ColorDMD solution of just removing the light board and then letting the LCD drive those light holes isn't a very good one. I do applaud them for going to the length they did to make that work as well as it did, though.

--Donnie

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Actually, Randy already knows exactly what it would take to fix - and is trying to work with the MFG to get it corrected.

And he'll sell enough volume that he can likely make that happen. It's unlikely any of the DIY solutions would have been able to do this kind of thing. Just the nature of how things work. And there's a good chance that the tech that solves this WILL filter out into the supply chain for the DIY person, too. Everyone wins.

--Donnie

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

@Frax, Your original comment and a few others in this thread really do come off sounding angry, as though you've lost personal investment. As for the 'cash cow' I don't know what Randy's outlays are but from the colorist end, we do get paid for our work, but if it were on an hourly basis, Randy would have to charge $1K per display to pay for game development. We like some compensation but there is definitely that aspect of being a hobbyist that makes this at all possible. I seriously doubt in any figuring of the situation that Randy and/or Chris make much profit at all - that isn't largely put right back into development. As for squashing competition - if that competition violates patent, then it should be squashed unless those people work out licensing with Randy. If someone else came up with their own methods without violating either the licenses associated with the game's IP or Randy's IP, then more power to them. As it is, it took Randy to start this process to begin with. It wasn't till after Randy showed the viability the side projects came about. So even those utilizing the SmartDMD system owe at least a debt of gratitude to Randy.
    Happy to hear about these as it will make a few more titles doable, including DE games that would otherwise require lots of modification of the game to install.
    Oh, and the $400 price tag. At $10/hour that's a full week of nothing but coloring and I can tell you I've spent weeks more coloring a game than that!

Thanks for this perspective.

I'd also add that I have 8 games that are colorized thanks to ColorDMD and many have been for a while. Had we had to wait on DIY solutions, well, I doubt I've have even one right now and it would have been a LONG time before all 8 were done.

I'm happy with my purchase, even though it'll probably end up costing me a few more bucks to "upgrade" the couple machines that I would prefer the LED solution in. I don't think I'll want it in every case, but I have a couple where the LCD blocks a small portion of my backbox mod and it bugs me.

--Donnie

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from dito:

what mod is that? I have a LCD in my Metallica and can't think of a backbox mod it would disrupt...?

Note the small shadow along the bottom edge. That's with a full animated backbox mod behind it. I have a cheaper non-animated LED light board in my Ironman that does the same thing.

The fluorescent tube is up high seems to cast at a different enough angle that it doesn't do that, but when you replace it with a panel that has LEDs down low, you get the shadow. It's minor, I admit, but for some reason it bugs me. I've thought of some ways to work around it, but I really think the best way is putting an LED display board in there.

--Donnie

IMG_7322_(resized).JPGIMG_7322_(resized).JPG

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Curbfeeler:

I've done two DIY projects for $80 each. I don't know where your $150 is coming from. These panels shipped from China were $52 each.

$52 panel from China, $59 for "UncleSash" pin2dmd board, $9 FAST frame, $15 for a power supply, some misc shipping and other stuff. You can sub Eli's board for $50ish, IIRC.

So sure, under $150, but over $125, anyway. And you're still doing some amount of custom wiring to power things. With pin2dmd you also need a 2GB SD card. Also note that the panel shipped from China option is seeming to have a pretty high failure rate. So far they've been good about replacing them for free, but at 3 weeks shipping each, that can be painful.

I'm sure you can DIY your own board and save a few bucks more, and probably skip the FAST board (but for that price, dang, I don't know why you would).

Then what do you have? Something you can easily pick ONE different color for your game. What games are *completely* and fully colorized already and available for download for free for any of these solutions? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'm pretty sure the list of titles is short. And that's a place the community certainly isn't organized yet...it's really neat that with PinSound (which is admittedly ONE platform) they have a nice repo of contributed reorchestrations. Do we have that for any of the colorization efforts?

--Donnie

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

SmartDMD already has a couple games colorized for SAM. Regardless of what system you buy at the end of the day it is the community that is colorizing the games, not the people designing the software/hardware. So not sure why you are spouting off about having any of that for colorization efforts.

"Spouting off"? I asked a question. Seems like the next step that the community needs is to know there are colorized games and which ones they are. And from there how to get that stuff working on their game...ideally without having to dig through a mound of forum threads.

--Donnie

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

On CV, the display (to me ) seemed pretty harsh on the eye. Not just bright, but seemed.. almost out of focus. I think this was an effect of having the 3 LED's (R,G,B) in each LED package; and the eye not *quite* blending them together.

So the question is then...is it still BETTER than a monochrome DMD? And if so, how much? As in, is it still $400 better such that you'd replace a good DMD with an LED one anyway? Or is it "just" $200 better such that if you had to replace your now-bad DMD anyway that you'd at least then be willing to spend $400 instead of $200? Or is it sort of "meh, maybe I like the monochrome just as well?"

I'm doubting it's the latter, but just looking for where it is on the relative scale.

(And my numbers are assuming a $400 price point, which I think is probably close but may not be exact.)

--Donnie

1 week later
    #127 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

When do these go up for sale? Or did I miss that in an earlier post?

They aren't for sale yet. Sounds like they aren't far off, though. Pricing not yet announced, but won't be far off the LCD.

--Donnie

5 months later
    #181 7 years ago

Main reason I want the LED product is because a couple of my animated backbox mods are blocked by the LCD being so tall. It's just the bottom half inch of the back glass, but it's noticeable and it bugs me.

I got the Sigma one and put it in my TronLE on blue just to see how it looked. I like it, but I like some things about the LCD version better, too. If I were buying for a game I didn't have, I'd *probably* buy LED just because the fit in the backbox is better. But the only LCD's I'll replace are the ones that interfere with the backbox (Metallica, IronMan, and Tron for me...TZ, TAF, MM, CC will all stay LCD).

--Donnie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.