(Topic ID: 154907)

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays at TPF!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CV colored (resized).png
    20160822_213250 (resized).jpg
    20160822_213136 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    (23)_ColorDMD_Pinball_Displays_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Slugfest_1_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpeg
    CFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpeg
    chabmo_(resized).jpg
    popeye_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7322_(resized).JPG

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 8 years ago

Great news!

Nevertheless somehow as a pinhead I often feel like a turkey at thanksgiving - since pinball machines are mostly owned by collectors prices have multiplied...

I would never buy hardware worth $100 with such a high charge. My limit would be $250 the most.

#102 8 years ago

The LED display at Texas looked amazing. A lot brighter and crisper then the LCD displays. I'm really looking forward to these coming out. I won't switch games that already have color LCD displays but any new purchases with LED available I'll definitely chose the LED option.

#103 8 years ago

This brings me hope that LED will be solution to getting Gilligan's island colored! There lost on that island without color, they where only in black and white first season.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This brings me hope that LED will be solution to getting Gilligan's island colored! There lost on that island without color, they where only in black and white first season.

Ever get this feeling?

chabmo_(resized).jpgchabmo_(resized).jpg

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Ever get this feeling?
    chabmo_(resized).jpg

Yes, Yes I have.

#106 8 years ago

There's always Hope, they made Popeye didn't they?

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

So the question is then...is it still BETTER than a monochrome DMD?

I think so. The color on CV really stands out. I'd want to dial the CV display brightness down a notch, to a level more in balance with the game.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Any pics of the new display?

I did not care for it at all. Bright, cool color spectrum and harsh to my eyes. Coolfor games where there is no other choice to get color.

#109 8 years ago

I still think including a film over the display to improve contrast, black levels, and harshness would make a world of difference. Similar to taking apart an alarm clock. The filter built in to the case is designed to reduce brightness and hide unlit digits. Without this you end up with a similar situation with LED alphanumeric displays vs. plasma.

IOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpegIOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpeg
    CFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpegCFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpeg

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I still think including a film over the display to improve contrast, black levels, and harshness would make a world of difference. Similar to taking apart an alarm clock and removing the filter to improve visibility of the digits.
    IOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpeg
    CFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpeg

Like I mentioned above. ND Film. I have some on order, should arrive later this week. I ordered two levels, since I'm not sure which dimming would be good. Also not sure if it'd help any with the odd blurriness (color LED offset) or not - it *could* even make it worse. We'll see...

#111 8 years ago

Can't wait to see how that works out. I was mainly replying to Whysnow.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Can't wait to see how that works out. I was mainly replying to Whysnow.

Yeah, sorry - I also hit enter too soon, forgot to add some info. (Now added..) Some kind of light diffuser may be needed if the LED color offset is still bad.

#113 8 years ago

The LEDs themselves don't have a lot of diffusion, especially at low brightness levels where the dots reduce to pinpoints of light with wide black spacing between the dots.

I think it would take some type of diffuser to soften the dots but then you also run the risk of it appearing blurry without an additional mask to sharpen the edges of the dots again.

These panels are really intended for video walls that are much brighter and viewed from large distances.

#114 8 years ago

Ask PPS what kind of wax paper they are going to insert into MMr inserts to tone down the LEDs.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I think it would take some type of diffuser to soften the dots but then you also run the risk of it appearing blurry without an additional mask to sharpen the edges of the dots again.

You may be onto something. I've never seen a film that sharpens/reduces the size of a wide beam of light but sounds interesting...

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It is logical, but let's be honest here...there's been conflict between CDMD and other projects before. It's not unprecedented. They're trying to protect their cash cow. I think it's telling that they didn't have this announcement a long time ago, and now that these things actually have traction with the community, are available for reasonable prices (that blow CDMD's and XPin's out of the water) and users are happy with them, THEN they're on the bandwagon? I'm not easily impressed, I guess.
    Like I said, I really want to see the price, and to see what this means to the other LED dmd projects. I haven't bought into the others because I'm not going to color my own games, but at the same time, if these are 400 bucks like their LCD counterparts, I'm equally out more likely than not.

Thought it had already been mentioned these would be as expensive or more so than the existing LCD ones ... i.e. $200 more than the solutions already on the market (possibly with the same LED panel supplier).

#117 8 years ago

I have money waiting for pinball magic if/when it comes out!

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Thought it had already been mentioned these would be as expensive or more so than the existing LCD ones ... i.e. $200 more than the solutions already on the market (possibly with the same LED panel supplier).

Can't really compare a turnkey solution to the other 'solutions on the market' when they don't include development, direct support, etc. It's like comparing oranges to donkeys. One's a fruit, the other's an ass.

#119 8 years ago

Martin posted a few pictures of Avengers and CV in his TPF show report!

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2016

#120 8 years ago

I took some photos from TPF this weekend.
    I thought CV looked awesome. Bright and bold and matched the colors in CV really well
    The photos are in the CV owners forum - last page

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-circus-cv-club-for-owners-fans/page/5#post-3050711

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I took some photos from TPF this weekend.
    I thought CV looked awesome. Bright and bold and matched the colors in CV really well
    The photos are in the CV owners forum - last page
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-circus-cv-club-for-owners-fans/page/5#post-3050711

Randy tried to point out the color separation in the CV purple balloons, but my eyes weren't listening - they were in love from first sight.

Until you see it in person, it's hard to capture in a picture - the colors simply *pop* so much more than the LCD panels.

It completely worked in CV & Avengers....but I'd love to see how it does with the 50 shades of blue that Tron is.

#122 8 years ago

The pictures from the CV look promising. I think this is the way to go. I do have some concerns on what the price will be, wonder how gray-ish the display looks when turned of and if that influences black level when it's on. I hope all titles now working with colorDMD will be included from the start. I personally like the dots and are not fond of the hi-res scaling abilities, will not need that in any way. Next to that the form factor is great - more a replacement, the colorDMD lCD screen are way to big.

#123 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#124 8 years ago

I'm holding out for the OLED displays

#125 8 years ago

When do these go up for sale? Or did I miss that in an earlier post?

#126 8 years ago

Can someone please do the comparisons between this one & the DMD?

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

When do these go up for sale? Or did I miss that in an earlier post?

They aren't for sale yet. Sounds like they aren't far off, though. Pricing not yet announced, but won't be far off the LCD.

--Donnie

#128 7 years ago

I wanted to like the LED version with the promise of much brighter colors but the light comes from such a small point of light, it just doesn't look better than the high-res mode of the LCD. It would be much better if the LED modules had diffusers to make dots of light as opposed to pinpoints of light.

2 weeks later
    #129 7 years ago

Any news on the release of these?

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

it just doesn't look better than the high-res mode of the LCD

These displays are designed to resemble original dot matrix DMDs, not LCDs with post-processing effects. I prefer the smaller color dots actually since this is more reminiscent of the plasma dots.

3 weeks later
    #131 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Spike games too? That would be sweet!

lets put one in big game...

#132 7 years ago

this is what my displays look like after 9 shots of espolon

1 month later
    #133 7 years ago

How did the Pilot Run turn out?

Quoted from Dmod:

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays!

ColorDMD will be demonstrating its new full-color LED displays at TPF, and we are planning a pilot production run in April.

#134 7 years ago

Bump. Looking forward to this release, especially for Slugfest_1_(resized).pngSlugfest_1_(resized).png

1 week later
    #136 7 years ago

Randy, will these LED displays be shipping soon?

#137 7 years ago

If no unforeseen circumstances, we're looking at late July for the initial pilot run.

#138 7 years ago

Great. I hope all goes well for the pilot run.

#139 7 years ago

Are there plans to port your existing titles to the new color DMD ?

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from jhagen:

Are there plans to port your existing titles to the new color DMD ?

In the opening post the OP said "The new LED displays will be able to utilize the entire library of ColorDMD titles!"

#141 7 years ago

Just saw that at the end of the first post, appreciate it.

1 week later
    #142 7 years ago

Wow. Two more weeks to go until the end of the month. This sure has been a long month for sure.

#143 7 years ago

Cant wait for CV!!! Hope all turns out well with the pilot run. Brought my machine up to work for our summer party and it is being loved by all.image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago

Safecracker, too!

#145 7 years ago

AND Slugfest, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Black Rose!

#146 7 years ago

Oh yea! Cant wait!

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

If no unforeseen circumstances, we're looking at late July for the initial pilot run.

If you need beta testers at all, I've got a TAF and a TZ I could throw one into to make sure they're compatible, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

#148 7 years ago

Maybe show off CV on my machine at CLE PIN? (Which is just around the corner....)

#149 7 years ago

I offered my Safecracker for a demo/pilot showcase @ SFGE, but nobody responded ...

#150 7 years ago

Hopefully the LED display pilot run is going well.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.