(Topic ID: 154907)

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays at TPF!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CV colored (resized).png
    20160822_213250 (resized).jpg
    20160822_213136 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    (23)_ColorDMD_Pinball_Displays_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Slugfest_1_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IOoQj2si3xxQRT2c.medium_(resized).jpeg
    CFMl1b51oLuDgRLo.medium_(resized).jpeg
    chabmo_(resized).jpg
    popeye_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7322_(resized).JPG
    There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

One question. I assume since LED boards are discrete pixels the Sigma blending modes are out if you use these in a game, correct? So are you going to offer choice of boards when you order in the future? LCD / LED / WPC / Whitestar? like a checklist or is that to be worked out?

Initially, we'll probably focus the pilot primarily on CV, and then begin rolling out software support for other titles.

We'll have to figure out how to list things so that it's clear which display works on which games. Probably need to find a web developer to organize/improve the web site.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I don't think many of us will ever know but if Popeye outsold Doctor Who I will be disappointed! Since people move them from machine to machine or pre-order to save on shipping knowing their title will eventually be colored it's probably even impossible for Randy to know.

People who order Popeye have them shipped to P.O. Boxes to hide their home address.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Initially, we'll probably focus the pilot primarily on CV, and then begin rolling out software support for other titles.
    We'll have to figure out how to list things so that it's clear which display works on which games. Probably need to find a web developer to organize/improve the web site.

Good call. I would make it very clear what displays work with what, especially if you don't take returns or exchanges on non-defective items.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

People who order Popeye have them shipped to P.O. Boxes to hide their home address.

Nah, they just order the AFM display and secretly download the Popeye firmware from home.

#55 8 years ago

I'd assume software downloads is how they can tell what games are being colored...not actual display sales

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Like I said, I really want to see the price

I am sure it will remain high, someones got to pay for those patent attorneys

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

In my personal opinion, it's not better... just different. Your mileage may vary.
    As an active display, colors are definitely brighter and more vibrant. Black level in a dark room is much better as there's no backlight. However, the faces of the LEDs themselves are white, so in a lit room the black level isn't as good. The panels themselves look gray.
    The "dots" are smaller than plasma, and at low brightness levels the dots reduce to pinpoints of light. This is more noticable on SAM games than WPC which only have four levels. Also the red, green, and blue LEDs are not as close together as an LCD. For some colors like magenta, the spacing between the red and blue LEDs is visible. If you zoom in on the purple balloon picture above, you'll see what I mean.
    Then there's the aforementioned questions about reliability of the panels (there are 4096*3 LEDs and if one goes out it will be noticable) and whether the ghosting can be eliminated.
    The main advantage from my perspective is the form factor. These displays will work in a lot of places the LCD won't.
    Looking forward to getting feedback from others at TPF.

Good to know, because I just placed an order for a ColorDMD last night.

And I'd like to add that you shipped it within an hour... Thanks!

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Patents are dependent on country. Many also find the patent system to be broken. Software patents especially. Setting aside the notion of pinball displays, go and look at what some people have patented in terms of software over the years. It borderlines on ridiculous.

LOL. I haven't read Randy's patent - have you?
    Regardless; it is what it is - deal with it.

I'm glad randy is embarking on new technologies... my concern Technically; is the power requirements of these panels.... If you think ColorDMD had an issue... ColorLED will be an order of magnitude worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy has to ship with a secondary PSU.

#59 8 years ago

This is just what I've been waiting for! I've never been wild on LCDs as DMDs and had been keeping an eye on the homebrew LED stuff, but there's a lot of faffing around with it... never mind wondering about the quality of whoever was doing the colouring. With this, it solves both of those problems!

I just hope they're ready to go by the time they announce RBION!

#60 8 years ago

Three more for me.

Tron
    PotC
    Met pro

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#61 8 years ago

What's the ETA for sales on the CV platform? If it can be had by end of April, would like to set mine up in local pin expo.

#62 8 years ago

Shoot! I knew I should have waited....

Quoted from Dmod:

In my personal opinion, it's not better... just different. Your mileage may vary.
    As an active display, colors are definitely brighter and more vibrant. Black level in a dark room is much better as there's no backlight. However, the faces of the LEDs themselves are white, so in a lit room the black level isn't as good. The panels themselves look gray.
    The "dots" are smaller than plasma, and at low brightness levels the dots reduce to pinpoints of light. This is more noticable on SAM games than WPC which only have four levels. Also the red, green, and blue LEDs are not as close together as an LCD. For some colors like magenta, the spacing between the red and blue LEDs is visible. If you zoom in on the purple balloon picture above, you'll see what I mean.
    Then there's the aforementioned questions about reliability of the panels (there are 4096*3 LEDs and if one goes out it will be noticable) and whether the ghosting can be eliminated.
    The main advantage from my perspective is the form factor. These displays will work in a lot of places the LCD won't.
    Looking forward to getting feedback from others at TPF.

#63 8 years ago

I've been waiting for a model with darker black levels

#64 8 years ago

Black levels can be improved with a film to create true black.

#65 8 years ago

CV!!!! Cant wait to see this in action. Ive been hoping there would be a solution for CV one day. Now i just have to find some money to buy it lol. Someone please take a video at TPF for me!!

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from frankie898:

CV!!!! Cant wait to see this in action. Ive been hoping there would be a solution for CV one day. Now i just have to find some money to buy it lol. Someone please take a video at TPF for me!!

Was contemplating TZ for Color and now I open this thread. CV is an absolute must ( more vivid coloring?)

#68 8 years ago

Woot! One more thing to check out at TPF!

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Fitment isn't just an issue for games like CV and SC, the LCD blocks my backbox mod on my Metallica, too. Very much looking forward to an LED solution for a few games!
    Can't wait.
    --Donnie

what mod is that? I have a LCD in my Metallica and can't think of a backbox mod it would disrupt...?

#70 8 years ago

This will hopefully make it so Rocky and Bullwinkle can finally have the coloring it deserves. Nothing screams a need for color like a game based off of a cartoon. fingers crossed...

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Black levels can be improved with a film to create true black.

Yup, I got some ND film for my Pin2DMD for my TZ. Once I get it install, I'll grab a pic with it off.

The LED panels put off enough light to easily look bright enough with the film over them.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from dito:

what mod is that? I have a LCD in my Metallica and can't think of a backbox mod it would disrupt...?

Note the small shadow along the bottom edge. That's with a full animated backbox mod behind it. I have a cheaper non-animated LED light board in my Ironman that does the same thing.

The fluorescent tube is up high seems to cast at a different enough angle that it doesn't do that, but when you replace it with a panel that has LEDs down low, you get the shadow. It's minor, I admit, but for some reason it bugs me. I've thought of some ways to work around it, but I really think the best way is putting an LED display board in there.

--Donnie

IMG_7322_(resized).JPGIMG_7322_(resized).JPG

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

The DIY solutions even at the absolute rock bottom are going to cost you $150ish in parts alone

I've done two DIY projects for $80 each. I don't know where your $150 is coming from. These panels shipped from China were $52 each.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Curbfeeler:

I've done two DIY projects for $80 each. I don't know where your $150 is coming from. These panels shipped from China were $52 each.

$52 panel from China, $59 for "UncleSash" pin2dmd board, $9 FAST frame, $15 for a power supply, some misc shipping and other stuff. You can sub Eli's board for $50ish, IIRC.

So sure, under $150, but over $125, anyway. And you're still doing some amount of custom wiring to power things. With pin2dmd you also need a 2GB SD card. Also note that the panel shipped from China option is seeming to have a pretty high failure rate. So far they've been good about replacing them for free, but at 3 weeks shipping each, that can be painful.

I'm sure you can DIY your own board and save a few bucks more, and probably skip the FAST board (but for that price, dang, I don't know why you would).

Then what do you have? Something you can easily pick ONE different color for your game. What games are *completely* and fully colorized already and available for download for free for any of these solutions? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'm pretty sure the list of titles is short. And that's a place the community certainly isn't organized yet...it's really neat that with PinSound (which is admittedly ONE platform) they have a nice repo of contributed reorchestrations. Do we have that for any of the colorization efforts?

--Donnie

#75 8 years ago

I love when people price parts from China and pretend the people HERE working on these solutions don't deserve to be paid and the r&d it takes. But hey, if I can save $50.

#76 8 years ago

We are planning to have two LED displays on the floor at TPF in the ColorDMD ring. One will be placed in CV and another in a SAM game to demonstrate results for both 4-level and 13-level game platforms.

Thank you to our friends providing games for the ring: Paul McKinney, Craig Hassell, and Kim Keist (Kimball's Pinballs), and to Ed Vanderveen for hosting us at the show!

In the ring we expect to have:
    TRON LE, Metallica, Iron Man, Avengers LE, Flintstones, and CV

Thanks also to Paul Danis for allowing us to use his POTC to demonstrate the new POTC ColorDMD, and to Brian Foytik for bringing TZ and a Corvette with a SIGMA display. I think POTC will be located in the BackAlley Creations booth. Don't miss it!

A number of other games hosting ColorDMDs will be located throughout the show floor.

#77 8 years ago

Did I miss a Flintstones release for colorDMD or is it just a SIGMA?

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'd assume software downloads is how they can tell what games are being colored...not actual display sales

I've been downloading the popeye rom image on a daily basis. I guess the jig is up
    popeye_(resized).jpgpopeye_(resized).jpg

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

The Flintstones was released Full Colored in October 2015.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've been downloading the popeye rom image on a daily basis. I guess the jig is up
    popeye_(resized).jpg

Me too! Actually even though they ship Simga they use the game you pick when ordering to track. Too hard to track as you move from game to game.

Nice Goon picture.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Check the list and see what else you missed out on.
    http://shop.colordmd.com/

#82 8 years ago

Could someone put up a video of this when you get a chance? Thanks

#83 8 years ago

Any plans to change the lcd for one that fits the original plasma display like Dutch Pinball did for there Big Lebouwski.
    That one fits a cv and you still can upscale it.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Any plans to change the lcd for one that fits the original plasma display like Dutch Pinball did for there Big Lebouwski.
    That one fits a cv and you still can upscale it.

Custom cut/size LCDs are VERY expensive. People already gripe too much that ColorDMD is expensive, nobody would want to pay what a custom LCD makes it cost.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Then what do you have? Something you can easily pick ONE different color for your game. What games are *completely* and fully colorized already and available for download for free for any of these solutions? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'm pretty sure the list of titles is short. And that's a place the community certainly isn't organized yet...it's really neat that with PinSound (which is admittedly ONE platform) they have a nice repo of contributed reorchestrations. Do we have that for any of the colorization efforts?
    --Donnie

SmartDMD already has a couple games colorized for SAM. Regardless of what system you buy at the end of the day it is the community that is colorizing the games, not the people designing the software/hardware. So not sure why you are spouting off about having any of that for colorization efforts.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Custom cut/size LCDs are VERY expensive. People already gripe too much that ColorDMD is expensive, nobody would want to pay what a custom LCD makes it cost.

Unless you want to pay $10k for a pinball (Lebowski)

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

SmartDMD already has a couple games colorized for SAM. Regardless of what system you buy at the end of the day it is the community that is colorizing the games, not the people designing the software/hardware. So not sure why you are spouting off about having any of that for colorization efforts.

"Spouting off"? I asked a question. Seems like the next step that the community needs is to know there are colorized games and which ones they are. And from there how to get that stuff working on their game...ideally without having to dig through a mound of forum threads.

--Donnie

#88 8 years ago

Anyone at the show care to comment on the new displays? Any pics?

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Anyone at the show care to comment on the new displays? Any pics?

Show doesn't officially open for a few hours yet. CV might not be running yet.

#90 8 years ago

Oh yeah, CV with the new LED display looks great!!! I need to find that POTC now.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Oh yeah, CV with the new LED display looks great!!! I need to find that POTC now.

The POTC ColorDMD looks great. No going back once you have seen it.

#92 8 years ago

Any pics of the new display?

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Any pics of the new display?

Saw two in the pinball news article.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2016/index.html

#94 8 years ago

I'm impressed with what I saw. It really pops compared to the LCD monitors. My only complaint is I did notice a slight flicker compared to a traditional DMD. That's being super picky and in no way a deal breaker. Really looks great. Buying one as soon as they're available for my CV.

#95 8 years ago

Glad you liked it! So far the response has been very positive.

For the panels we're demonstrating at the show there's a tradeoff between refresh rate and ghosting. At higher refresh rates, ghosting (i.e. vertical columns of dots that sometimes glow dimly) is more pronounced.

Refresh rate is currently an adjustable parameter in the display menus. It is currently turned down to reduce ghosting but could be made faster.

#96 8 years ago

On Avengers, it looked decent. I like the wider angle viewing versus LCD.

On CV, the display (to me ) seemed pretty harsh on the eye. Not just bright, but seemed.. almost out of focus. I think this was an effect of having the 3 LED's (R,G,B) in each LED package; and the eye not *quite* blending them together.

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

On CV, the display (to me ) seemed pretty harsh on the eye. Not just bright, but seemed.. almost out of focus. I think this was an effect of having the 3 LED's (R,G,B) in each LED package; and the eye not *quite* blending them together.

So the question is then...is it still BETTER than a monochrome DMD? And if so, how much? As in, is it still $400 better such that you'd replace a good DMD with an LED one anyway? Or is it "just" $200 better such that if you had to replace your now-bad DMD anyway that you'd at least then be willing to spend $400 instead of $200? Or is it sort of "meh, maybe I like the monochrome just as well?"

I'm doubting it's the latter, but just looking for where it is on the relative scale.

(And my numbers are assuming a $400 price point, which I think is probably close but may not be exact.)

--Donnie

#98 8 years ago

It's definitely better than monochrome, but I'm not much of a fan of the display style in general. In the games where it's the only workable option, so be it, but I'd always take LCD over LED if it fit.

The one in CV looks decent enough. Some colors seem too bright, but not terribly so.

#99 8 years ago

I'd like to see some video of it in action but from the pics the dots seem to be more true to traditional dmd but not as clear as the LCD

Adds another element of decision making for what goes in my shadow.. price and more info will help determine

#100 8 years ago

Looks like a solution for all games that won't fit a regular colordmd, but suspect with the loss of the additional modes like Scan or DotsXL the regular colordmd will still be the standard.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.