image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
smokin_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image-1_(resized).jpg
game_42_(resized).png
pasted_image_(resized).png
There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 23.
#701 7 years ago

I would like to personally thank Randy Perlow for the quick response and solution to this issue with Tommy. In a matter of hours he diagnosed the problem and sent me another version of the code which worked great!

Installing this into Tommy was no simple matter. I wish I had taken pics of the install but I did not. You need to be handy with a Dremmel and have a variety of bits to make this work. Apparently Tommy can have either a wooden or a plastic speaker panel. Mine has the plastic speaker panel. I followed the instructions from a few posts above. Here are my notes to get a good clean install.

1. Dremmel out the large portion at the top as shown in the instructions.
2. You do not have to cut off the fifth mounting screw. It will simply unscrew from the plastic.
3. You must elongate the four mounting holes in the metal LCD bracket. Without doing this you cannot get the LCD screen to drop down past the plastic frame at the bottom.
4. You can just re-use the four large white plastic washers, rather than use the 1/4 inch plastic spacers that come with the DMD. This will get the LCD screen a mm or two closer to the plastic screen.
5. If you follow these details you can get the LCD screen just as close to the window as the original DMD was. I would say it is less than 1/2 inch away from the window.
6. You will have to remove 3 of the GI bulbs in the backbox light board, otherwise there is not enough clearance to re-install the speaker panel with the taller LCD display.

Just an FYI, this was nothing like my previous four installs which were AFM, LOTR, Met, and Tron. But it was well worth the effort because this display is fantastic! The colors are very bright. I really like the blue shades during the skillshot and video mode. I love details like the Christmas mode being done mostly in Red/Green. The blue/white on the Data East logo during attract mode is sweet. I only have this one pic to share.

20160507_190218.jpg20160507_190218.jpg

#702 7 years ago

LOTR_breath, did you purchase the DE display that was linked to the Tommy pin on the ColorDMD website?

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

LOTR_breath, did you purchase the DE display that was linked to the Tommy pin on the ColorDMD website?

Yes, that's the one.

#704 7 years ago

Does video exist of Cirqus Voltaire running on the LED platform at MGC?

Also, I look forward (Family Guy) to future ColorDMD releases. Keep up the (Family Guy) great work!

#705 7 years ago

STLE?

#706 7 years ago

I as well went with the data east install , again the support from color DMD was fantastic, true not really plug and play , however the outcome is fantastic!
Hats off to you Randy!
Long time fan and loyal customer!

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Installing this into Tommy was no simple matter.

#707 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I would like to personally thank Randy Perlow for the quick response and solution to this issue with Tommy. In a matter of hours he diagnosed the problem and sent me another version of the code which worked great!
Installing this into Tommy was no simple matter. I wish I had taken pics of the install but I did not. You need to be handy with a Dremmel and have a variety of bits to make this work. Apparently Tommy can have either a wooden or a plastic speaker panel. Mine has the plastic speaker panel. I followed the instructions from a few posts above. Here are my notes to get a good clean install.
1. Dremmel out the large portion at the top as shown in the instructions.
2. You do not have to cut off the fifth mounting screw. It will simply unscrew from the plastic.
3. You must elongate the four mounting holes in the metal LCD bracket. Without doing this you cannot get the LCD screen to drop down past the plastic frame at the bottom.
4. You can just re-use the four large white plastic washers, rather than use the 1/4 inch plastic spacers that come with the DMD. This will get the LCD screen a mm or two closer to the plastic screen.
5. If you follow these details you can get the LCD screen just as close to the window as the original DMD was. I would say it is less than 1/2 inch away from the window.
6. You will have to remove 3 of the GI bulbs in the backbox light board, otherwise there is not enough clearance to re-install the speaker panel with the taller LCD display.
Just an FYI, this was nothing like my previous four installs which were AFM, LOTR, Met, and Tron. But it was well worth the effort because this display is fantastic! The colors are very bright. I really like the blue shades during the skillshot and video mode. I love details like the Christmas mode being done mostly in Red/Green. The blue/white on the Data East logo during attract mode is sweet. I only have this one pic to share.

This sounds rediculous. A dremel? Elongating a bracket? Remove GI (that was meant to be there). Maybe this game should have been skipped. Probably going to return my order or exchange it for a different game.

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

This sounds rediculois

Well worth a little effort! Sounds worse than it really is ... No harder than than rebuilding a flipper assembly!

#709 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

This sounds rediculous. A dremel? Elongating a bracket? Remove GI (that was meant to be there). Maybe this game should have been skipped. Probably going to return my order or exchange it for a different game.

I don't think it would be one game that would have to be skipped. It's more like all of the DE games.

I would like to see pics of a DE install. Is there any way to get around all of that cutting? I've never seen that panel before.

#710 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

With a different power cable, it will go right in your CFTBL.

#712 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

With a different power cable, it will go right in your CFTBL.

Already have one in Creech and Judge Dredd. Maybe Demoman.

#713 7 years ago

As for modding the game, yes, in Tommy, with the Plastic speaker panel you have to dremel off the lip and remove some GI bulbs. Once the RGB-LED displays come out you'll have a different option but if you want the resolution options you'll still want to go LCD. Worth it for the improvement on display. It is a bit of a pain, but that doesn't mean a game shouldn't be done otherwise DE games won't get done at all and that's just silly.

#714 7 years ago

Well, maybe I'll just nut up and give it a shot. Gave me an excuse to buy a new toy.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#715 7 years ago

Congrats! It's really not that bad. I think anyone who can work on and repair pinball machines can handle this install. Just know going into it, this will not be the typical 20-30 minute colorDMD install. I spent most of a Saturday afternoon on this. The results are well worth it!

Also, in the link above the guy mentions drilling new holes in the LCD mounting bracket. I found that I only needed to slide the display upwards by about 2-3mm, that is why I opted to just elongate the holes that were already there.

#716 7 years ago

I was able to get the new LCD mounting bracket into the speaker panel without drilling holes. It is extremely tight but a bit of a wiggle and slight bending on the posts and bottom strip and it slides right down the 4 posts. I had to do everything in the instructions. Just take your time. 3 lower GI bulbs in the backbox are removed simply because the lcd panel will hit into them. There are over 30 GI bulbs in the backbox, you will never notice them missing.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Congrats! It's really not that bad. I think anyone who can work on and repair pinball machines can handle this install. Just know going into it, this will not be the typical 20-30 minute colorDMD install. I spent most of a Saturday afternoon on this. The results are well worth it!
Also, in the link above the guy mentions drilling new holes in the LCD mounting bracket. I found that I only needed to slide the display upwards by about 2-3mm, that is why I opted to just elongate the holes that were already there.

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There are over 30 GI bulbs in the backbox, you will never notice them missing.

In my Data East games, I usually end up removing half of the GI bulbs anyways as I find them to be too bright and this greatly cuts down on the back box glare/reflection on the playfield glass.

#719 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We are producing a pilot run for a new LED platform this summer, targeted initially at games like CV where the LCD wont fit. If successful, we will extend software support to the entire ColorDMD library.
The LCD platform will continue but you may see some changes in the second half of the year, driven largely by which LCD screens are being produced by manufacturers. The notebook industry has transitioned to thinner (but taller) LCD screens than the previous generation. Support for these new screens will require changes to our controller and mounting solution.

Any chance of a dmd size lcd in the future like tbl?.

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Any chance of a dmd size lcd in the future like tbl?.

Unlikely unless a major LCD manufacturer begins producing LCD screens in a wider aspect ratio with good availability.

TBL isn't really DMD size as DMDs are a 4 aspect ratio. The LCD in TBL is a standard LCD screen that has been (literally) cut down after market to reduce the height. I did look into this a couple of years ago but the cut panels were almost 3x the cost of the standard panel we currently use and would have required a change to the controller.

THe LED screen size has the correct aspect ratio and can be used to fit games where the LCD mounting is problematic or impossible. Hoping to have sample parts (custom brackets and controller boards) from vendors by the end of next week to finalize the LED design.

#721 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

THe LED screen size has the correct aspect ratio and can be used to fit games where the LCD mounting is problematic or impossible. Hoping to have sample parts (custom brackets and controller boards) from vendors by the end of next week to finalize the LED design.

Soooooo .... Safecracker?

(I'm taking one to SFGE if you have anything ready to demo by then ....)

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Unlikely unless a major LCD manufacturer begins producing LCD screens in a wider aspect ratio with good availability.
TBL isn't really DMD size as DMDs are a 4 aspect ratio. The LCD in TBL is a standard LCD screen that has been (literally) cut down after market to reduce the height. I did look into this a couple of years ago but the cut panels were almost 3x the cost of the standard panel we currently use and would have required a change to the controller.

I like the colordmd plug and play and quality.

But i have to go for a"do it your self" color system because i have a homebrew machine with mm software and want to disable the mm logo on game over by coloring it black.
Sorry.

#723 7 years ago

New clue for the next colored treatment.

Bill_Paxton_(resized).pngBill_Paxton_(resized).png

#724 7 years ago

so twister?
what other pins was paxton in?

#725 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

so twister?
what other pins was paxton in?

He was also in Apollo 13.

I had a Sigma display in Twister set on HiRes and light blue about 18 months ago. It looked sharp.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#726 7 years ago

Bill Paxton ... Private Hudson in Aliens. I had to look that up.

#727 7 years ago

He was also in an episode of Tales From The Crypt (checked IMDB)

#728 7 years ago

He was in the first Terminator. I forgot about that.

#729 7 years ago

Family Guy? Stewie says "Game over man! Game over!" Like Paxton

#730 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I like the colordmd plug and play and quality.
But i have to go for a"do it your self" color system because i have a homebrew machine with mm software and want to disable the mm logo on game over by coloring it black.
Sorry.

PM sent.

#731 7 years ago

Looks like another clue today.

thankful_(resized).pngthankful_(resized).png

#732 7 years ago

Hedgehog = Sonic = Sega = Apollo 13 or Twister

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hedgehog = Sonic = Sega = Apollo 13 or Twister

"In the eye" of a twister?

#734 7 years ago

What about the microphone? What's that for?

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What about the microphone? What's that for?

They were using a microphone on Apollo 13

#736 7 years ago

I think those are just all the tools you'll need in the next installation.

#737 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I think those are just all the tools you'll need in the next installation.

You're still salty about the Tommy install, huh?

#738 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

You're still salty about the Tommy install, huh?

Hah! Sorry, I kid.

#739 7 years ago

Its not the Gilligan"s Island I'd love to see....
Bill Paxton, small TMNT screen..128x16...Leaves only 5 Titles....HOOK!! OR BATMAN ITS BATMAN!!!
Because it not Checkpoint or Star Trek.
My Guess.

#740 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Its not the Gilligan"s Island I'd love to see....
Bill Paxton, small TMNT screen..128x16...Leaves only 5 Titles....HOOK!! OR BATMAN ITS BATMAN!!!
Because it not Checkpoint or Star Trek.
My Guess.

What do those 5 titles have to do with Bill Paxton?

#741 7 years ago

They all use the smaller 128x16 dmd, which it appears the Bill Paxton machine uses as well.

http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

#742 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

They all use the smaller 128x16 dmd, which it appears the Bill Paxton machine uses as well.
http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

Good job. I did not notice it was a 128x16 display in that Ben Heck game.

Though, clue 2 is hitting toward Sega machines.

#743 7 years ago

When is SM getting some love?

#744 7 years ago

It has to be Twister.

Clue #1: Bill Paxton (who was in Twister)
Clue #2: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega who produced Twister) and Sunglasses/drumstick representing Alex Van Halen (Song performed by Van Halen in Twister)

#745 7 years ago

Tales From The Crypt please! My money is ready and waiting.

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

It has to be Twister.
Clue #1: Bill Paxton (who was in Twister)
Clue #2: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega who produced Twister) and Sunglasses/drumstick representing Alex Van Halen (Song performed by Van Halen in Twister)

Paxton was in Apollo 13 also produced by Sega.

He was also in Terminator. I wonder if the hedgehog image is in reference to Arnold's catchphrase but I don't know what the microphone is for.

#747 7 years ago

The hedgehog had a stick pointing to the one eye plus Arnold wore sunglasses in T2.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#748 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The hedgehog had a stick pointing to the one eye plus Arnold wore sunglasses in T2.

Good counter!

I am still sticking with my logic supporting Twister.
Paxton: Twister or Apollo 13 or T2
Hedgehog: Sega
Glasses: Arnold (T2) or Alex Van Halen (Twister)
Stick: Pointing to eye (T2) or Alex Van Halen drumstick held in right hand of Hedgehog
Microphone: Suggesting music themed clue (Van Halen.....Twister)

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought maybe he was pointing to his eye and laying on his back for "I'll be back."

Don't forget about T3.

#750 7 years ago

Apollo 13 it is. Hopefully we have more games on the horizon. The amount of titles this year has been awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2016/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.