image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
smokin_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image-1_(resized).jpg
game_42_(resized).png
pasted_image_(resized).png
There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.
#651 7 years ago

I have 3 spare speaker panel plastics with the clear display for BSD, brand new repro's with polythene still attached to both sides. I had to order more to get them to do it in clear, if anyone's interested pm me.

#652 7 years ago

ROM UPDATES FOR TZ AND MET!

The color ROMs to support Twilight Zone and Metallical pinball machines have been updated and are now available for download from the SUPPORT page of our site.

TZ 3.1: (04/26/16) Fixed coloring for GS and HS scores over 2B, and added color for flipper bonus.

MET 3.3: (04/26/16) Fixed coloring for ramp combos score, lady just high score entry, and footer text in service menus.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

install_firmware_(resized).jpginstall_firmware_(resized).jpg

#653 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

MET 3.3: (04/26/15) Fixed coloring for ramp combos score, lady just high score entry, and footer text in service menus.

Date is off by a year here and on the firmware page.

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Date is off by a year here and on the firmware page.

Thank you! Fixed.

#655 7 years ago

Is color ready for GB yet?

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Thank you! Fixed.

As payment could you expedite the TWD colorization? Thanks.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Is color ready for GB yet?

i hope so, too

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

ROM UPDATES FOR TZ AND MET!
The color ROMs to support Twilight Zone and Metallical pinball machines have been updated and are now available for download from the SUPPORT page of our site...

Great news....now get some back in stock!

#659 7 years ago

Family Guy... Family Guy... Family Guy

#661 7 years ago

We've received the first 25% of the units from our April production run. Inventory has been added to our store site and is now available for immediate delivery.

The remainder units will be completed in early May, pending the delivery of some back-ordered parts.

BackInStock_(resized).jpgBackInStock_(resized).jpg

#663 7 years ago

Are the colordmd's going to an LED version or will they remain LCD's?

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from gac:

LED display is in development/testing. It was shown at TPF and MGC already this year.

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from gac:

There are a lot of people that prefer the LCD because of the smoothing/color combination, so I don't expect the LCD option to go away.
The LED option gives possibilities of colorizing for games that previously could not fit an LCD size display in the pinball machine because of the way the game was designed (such as CV with the display below the backbox).

#666 7 years ago
Quoted from gac:

We are producing a pilot run for a new LED platform this summer, targeted initially at games like CV where the LCD wont fit. If successful, we will extend software support to the entire ColorDMD library.

The LCD platform will continue but you may see some changes in the second half of the year, driven largely by which LCD screens are being produced by manufacturers. The notebook industry has transitioned to thinner (but taller) LCD screens than the previous generation. Support for these new screens will require changes to our controller and mounting solution.

#667 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We are producing a pilot run for a new LED platform this summer, targeted initially at games like CV where the LCD wont fit. If successful, we will extend software support to the entire ColorDMD library.
The LCD platform will continue but you may see some changes in the second half of the year, driven largely by which LCD screens are being produced by manufacturers. The notebook industry has transitioned to thinner (but taller) LCD screens than the previous generation. Support for these new screens will require changes to our controller and mounting solution.

I'm a buyer of the LED version when it's available. After seeing it in CV at mgc, i prefer the way it looks over the lcd. I'd like to see you guys have success!

#668 7 years ago

Would love to have color for my newly arriving Star Trek LE and (of course) GBLE. Already have Color DMD for Monopoly, LOTR, and X-MEN LE. Prefer the LCD for the smoothing effect as I think it looks better, but will buy the LED for a CV if I can find a nice machine!

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Jurassic Park would be better!

TFTC would be wonderful.

#670 7 years ago

Can you make install instructions more bull it proof for Data east

Just blew my board , $200 damage
Heard about 8 others did the same

Thank you

#671 7 years ago

WTF did you do?

#672 7 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Can you make install instructions more bull it proof for Data east
Just blew my board , $200 damage
Heard about 8 others did the same
Thank you

Yikes

#673 7 years ago

I am curious as well.

#674 7 years ago

I followed the instructions to the teeth
Switch on the game and display picture was frantically shaking

I switched it of and made sure again all was connected properly
Switched game back on and game locks up now

Any tips would be appreciated
Sending my CPU out for diagnose/repair is $200
Buying a rotenndog is $350

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Switch on the game and display picture was frantically shaking

Start off reseating all the ribbon cables to and from the MPU to the DMD controller to the DMD. That is 6 total connections. Also reseat the 2 pin (black/red) power connector to the DMD controller board.

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Buying a rotenndog is $350

Just a personal note, I had a rottendog board in my Jurrassic Park , installed the color DMD and it would boot fine. However after a while my DMD would flicker and fade to black! The cure for my unit was an Xpin power board!
Installed working and very happy with my color DMD!

#677 7 years ago

Now I'm nervous. This is common?

#678 7 years ago

Maybe I was a little hasty wishing for that color DMD for TFTC...

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just a personal note, I had a rottendog board in my Jurrassic Park , installed the color DMD and it would boot fine. However after a while my DMD would flicker and fade to black! The cure for my unit was an Xpin power board!
Installed working and very happy with my color DMD!

Since ColorDMD uses the 5 volts and 12 volt rails from the power supply, very likely the 5 volts was the issue in your game. At around 4.7 volts the game will reset. Anything below that, the game may not even boot up.

So with any DE/Sega (non-Whitestar) game, I suggest replacing C2 (100uf either 35v or 50 volt radial electrolytic capacitor) on any original DE/Sega power supply. C2 will likely fail due to age and the extra load on the 5 volts.

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Now I'm nervous. This is common?

Quoted from Billy16:

Maybe I was a little hasty wishing for that color DMD for TFTC...

Replace the C2 on the power supply as I mentioned in the above post, and you'll be good. I'll change it for you if you want.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Switched game back on and game locks up now

I missed this part. If 5 volts measures anything less than 4.9 volts, change the C2 on the power supply (100uf use either 35 or 50 volt capacitor).

#682 7 years ago

Thanks for the great input
I will start on the power supply
Makes sense to me

#683 7 years ago

Hi Robert.

The ColorDMD runs off 12V unregulated (5V is only used for the USB port). Can't see it damaging the MPU board unless you were connecting to both the PWR and AUX connectors on the ColorDMD and somehow shorted 12V into 5V. Since you said you were following the instructions this doesn't seem likely.

A more likely problem is the Whitestar DMD controller loading down the address/data bus and interfering with communication. This can happen if the ribbon cable is inserted improperly or the Whitestar board isn't receiving power.

If the MPU isn't booting, check fuses associated with 5V and try disconnecting the wide ribbon cable and two-pin power cable that runs from the MPU to the Whitestar DMD board. See if the game will start up.

You can email me directly if you need additional help.

#684 7 years ago

I have rebuilt several Data East games. First thing I do is throw power supply in the garbage can if original. The x-pin power supply is top notch. This will help power flow better than original 25 old power supplies.

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The x-pin power supply is top notch

I agree ordered a new Xpin power board for my TFTC, to install my next color DMD...

#686 7 years ago

COLORDMD TOMMY RELEASE!

The color ROM to support The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard pinball machines has been released and is now available for download from our firmware SUPPORT page!

Thanks to Frank Gigliotti for all the work to complete this title!

Thanks also to Bill B and Mark J for their help beta testing!

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#687 7 years ago

Can you tell me which set of instructions to follow for installing on Tommy? I don't see Data East on the website. I also noticed a small extra board that came in the box with the colorDMD that does not look familiar. I have installed several colorDMD's on SAM, Whitestar, WPC, but this is my first going into a Data East. Thanks for any and all help!

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Can you tell me which set of instructions to follow for installing on Tommy? I don't see Data East on the website. I also noticed a small extra board that came in the box with the colorDMD that does not look familiar. I have installed several colorDMD's on SAM, Whitestar, WPC, but this is my first going into a Data East. Thanks for any and all help!

http://www.colordmd.com/ColorDMD%20Installation%20Instructions%20for%20Data%20East%20Rev6.PDF

#690 7 years ago

Also, this may be of interest (install of a GNR ColorDMD):

#692 7 years ago

This is interesting. There are 2 different sets of mounting instructions for Data East. One for a wooden speaker panel and one for a plastic speaker panel. If you don't look closely at the top of the instructions, it's easy to miss that detail.

Here is revision 4 that is linked to on the Tommy ColorDMD page. It is for the plastic speaker panel and shows the latest version of the LCD mounting panel.

http://www.colordmd.com/Assembly%20for%20Instructions%20Data%20East%20Plastic%20Speaker%20Panel%20Rev4.PDF

Here is revision 6 that is linked to from the GNR page. It is for the wooden speaker panel and shows the previous version of the LCD mounting panel.

http://www.colordmd.com/ColorDMD%20Installation%20Instructions%20for%20Data%20East%20Rev6.PDF

#693 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think colorDMD really needs to update their website. From the frontpage if you click on support, then hardware installation, there are only instructions for WPC, WPC-95, Whitestar, and SAM. The ONLY place you will find a link to these Data East instructions is on the screen where you add the dmd to your cart. AND, you will only see the link if you scroll down below towards the bottom of the page.

Here is the wording on the order page:
*** Installation in TOMMY requires additional tools and permanent modification to the speaker panel. Please review all installation instructions before ordering! ***

But you can easily never see this when ordering.

I'm not super excited about permanently modifying the speaker panel, but I will have to in order to get this installed. It doesn't look too difficult, just a surprise I didn't see coming. I have nothing but good things to say about colorDMD. This is the 5th one I've bought. Just a little better info on the website would be helpful. Thanks!

#694 7 years ago

The more DMD animations I see for Ghostbusters the more I think it's going to be one of the best ColorDMD releases yet. There is so much detail to many of the animations and overall they are pretty slick.

#695 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The more DMD animations I see for Ghostbusters the more I think it's going to be one of the best ColorDMD releases yet. There is so much detail to many of the animations and overall they are pretty slick.

The stuff that is very obviously 3d rendered and then converted to dots will be difficult to make look nice by hand. I'm sure it will get done eventually though.

#696 7 years ago

Man, I having a time with this Tommy colorDMD install. I emailed them directly but thought I would see if anyone here has an answer. I loaded the Tommy ROM from their site, successfully because the display screen shows Tommy 3.0. The display works but everything is displayed in monochrome, no colors.

#697 7 years ago

I would try to reload the firmware again.

#698 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Man, I having a time with this Tommy colorDMD install. I emailed them directly but thought I would see if anyone here has an answer. I loaded the Tommy ROM from their site, successfully because the display screen shows Tommy 3.0. The display works but everything is displayed in monochrome, no colors.

This was the result of having a Stern Whitestar DMD board installed in a DE game. It has been fixed in the Tommy 3.1 update. This is the only change so no need to update if it's already working in your game.

#700 7 years ago

Now that's customer service! 8 1/2 hours from bug report to software revision. On a Saturday!!! WoooHooo!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2016/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.