tumbleweed.jpg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
There are 1,229 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 25.
#451 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

If I owner one I might.

Someone find this man a Flintstones! Just not mine lol

#452 8 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Congratulations Taxman. I know this must have taken many, MANY hours to complete. Amazing gesture for Python, and Phoebe!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Although I'm getting trashed I expected some harassment.

Before others who are wondering "why" please do not blame Randy, Chris or anyone else at ColorDMD for "my" choice and not coloring your game. Here it is in a nutshell.

The game was designed by Python Anghelo who lost his battle with cancer last year. Many in the pinball community played pinball in fundraisers to help with his treatments. A friend of mine (and of ColorDMD) Phoebe has been jokingly asking for this game to be colored since the beginning. This planted the seed.

At this point I owned 12 ColorDMD boards and had Beta tested for them. A Popeye became available in my area and I asked Randy if I bought it could I color it as a game. I was not sure if I could pull it off so Popeye was a perfect choice. Not only would it be a tribute (as stated above) but the cartoon animation would be easier for me to learn the ColorDMD process. And if I did not complete in a timely manor (or at all) no one was expecting it anyway. So I would not be holding up one of the titles everyone is asking to color.

So what does that mean? It means I bought the game just to color it so it is even worse than you thought

#453 8 years ago

I'm super happy for anyone who gets their games colored and I know we are all deep down appreciative of the time and effort these artists put into their projects.

Still can't help but feeling like I'm being punked by the ColorDMD team

#454 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm super happy for anyone who gets their games colored and I know we are all deep down appreciative of the time and effort these artists put into their projects.
Still can't help but feeling like I'm being punked by the ColorDMD team

With how many games color dmd has come out with the last few months alone, just look at this one as a bonus

I cant wait to see this in game. Nice work taxman!

#455 8 years ago

Popeye was at least a better choice than Lethal Weapon 3!!

#456 8 years ago

How about T2 or WCS next for the Taxman treatment.

#457 8 years ago

How many Williams, Bally, and Stern games are DMD (not counting CV)?

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

How about T2 or WCS next for the Taxman treatment.

Here's a thought: why don't you volunteer to color a game?

Taxman was just a normal dude who stepped up to do something he thought felt right to do. Any of you could spend your time and energy coloring the game that's so important to you.

And if you don't have the time, then hey, don't complain when someone else spends their's doing the game they picked.

#459 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Taxman was just a normal dude who stepped up to do something he thought felt right to do. Any of you could spend your time and energy coloring the game that's so important to you.
And if you don't have the time, then hey, don't complain when someone else spends their's doing the game they picked.

What the hell are you talking about? No ones complaining about anything. We are just making suggestions for his next games to colour, and naturally we we all suggest games we own that he does as well. If he decides to do another game then fine, no big deal. The only person I see complaining about something is you, complaining about nonexistent complaining. I think you want to just get in and stir the pot a bit. I'm starting to think eggbert52 was right about you.

#460 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I really wish I had the skill-set to do it as I'd love to give it a shot, sadly I don't think I'd even know where to start!

#461 8 years ago

Really? Popeye? Come onnnnn

#462 8 years ago

I'd just like to publically thank ColorDMD for their support of Pintastic New England. Quite a few people have taken advantage of their generous offer of taking $50 a Color DMD if you install it in your machine and bring it out to the show and display their logo card. Gabe has picked up four more for his machines and they look beyond amazing! Absolutely gorgeous color and graphics displays. MET, AC/DC, TOM, Wh2O. They're beyond awesome.

So if you're on the fence on these, get off and jump in. One of the absolute best mods in all of pinball for not a lot of money. Especially when you consider all the time it takes to program all those colors into it PLUS the show discounts Color DMD runs.

Anyway, thnk you Color DMD for your support and GL moving forward. I can't wait for a TF release!

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

You negative Nancys ever look at the dots on Popeye? It's gonna look great colored!

#464 8 years ago

Let. Me say Dave showed me the animations this morning and it's beyond sweet. Popeye really is an amazing game and it's a great tribute to Python really.

Can't wait to start playing some popeye in color. When are you bringing it to The Sanctum?

-Jim

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I'm starting to think eggbert52 was right about you.

That I'm a liberal California pussy?

Relax man, lots of people are outright complaining, wasn't putting it all on you. Just saying, here's a guy who volunteered his time, rather than asking him do your favorite game next, why not step up yourself?

It's a lot of work! I know I don't have the time, so I'm just grateful for the people who've done the titles I have, and will be grateful to the people who do the ones I buy in the future.

The ColorDMD guys all have day jobs, this is a hobby business. Thank goodness they're still doing it, I know how many headaches it causes.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Haha, O-din tagged Big Hurt

It does look like we are getting closer.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#467 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That I'm a liberal California pussy?

Hahaahahahaha, right on, that's what I was looking for I'm glad you didn't take my post too seriously. All joking aside though, I would colour T2 myself, it would be an easy one to do because it has very few animations. But here's the problem, it's not time, I have lots of that this time of year, it's artistic ability. There are technical people and then there are the artistic people. I am definently a technical person. If I were to colour T2 the terminators would all be one shade of blue and nothing would have depth. It would look like something from SmartDMD I don't have the artistic ability to add depth through colours like the ColorDMD team does. The shading on the ground and in the bushes of AC/DC is a perfect example of how they create depth from a flat object, sadly I can not do that. So cudos to Taxman and others like him that have that ability.

#468 8 years ago

Colourizing isn't a linear process - Popeye getting done has zero impact on any other games currently being done in parallel. Popeye just happened to be finished next.

I imagine a number of people are working on other games as we type.

#469 8 years ago

Im just salty a game i own hasnt been chosen yet....no reason to downvote. If i had the time and ability id attempt this, but i dont.

#470 8 years ago

What's wrong with Popeye. Its a cool game. I would get one if I had the room.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

How would one go about mounting a colorDMD in a showcase game?

it has been done. It takes a little tweaking but works. I can't remember which pinsider has done it but there are pics.

#472 8 years ago

Out of curiosity if someone's willing to put the time in how hard is it to color a game? Like do you need a lot of computer programming experience? Is there any special equipment that a devolper needs to get? I think it's fantastic that the community has colored a lot of these titles.

#473 8 years ago

Star Trek up next...I hope.

#474 8 years ago

Im just salty a game i own hasnt been chosen yet....no reason to downvote. If i had the time and ability id attempt this, but i dont.

But that is a great reason for a down vote. A down vote shows disagreement. Your post gave no substance or reason just a cheap shot. Have you ever played the game?

After looking at your game list it is now decided that games like T2 and JP should never be done out of spite.

Just kidding

#475 8 years ago

Taxman, hats off to you! I don't usually salute IRS men, but this year I make an exception.

#476 8 years ago

Yes, yes i have playd it. Granted it wasnt theest example at the hall of fame, but still.

#477 8 years ago

Haha. Taxman as an IRS man?? That's funny! If only you actually knew him

#478 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Haha. Taxman as an IRS man??

When I read the name Taxman, this is all that comes to mind.

#479 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

+1

#480 8 years ago

People always wonder if I'm an accountant. But the nickname is simpler than that. It is a Czechoslovakian name "Tkacs" with a silent "k". Pronounced Tax. (yes, I was teased as a kid, heard them all thank you)

And yes, people reference the Beatles "Taxman" to me just as much as they do the Who's "Pinball Wizard" to all of us.

#481 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'll second that wish.

#482 8 years ago

I think doing Sterns from ST on right now might not happen for a bit since any code updates stern releases could mess with color dmd's code.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#483 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I think doing Sterns from ST on right now might not happen for a bit since any code updates stern releases could mess with color dmd's code.

I don't think that should be a huge problem. They can always make an update.

#484 8 years ago

Ordered two ColorDMDs a couple days ago and they got delivered blazing fast - respect!
Installed one in my Star Trek pro, set it on DotXL and blue-ish color which looks quite nice.

Today I've installed the other one in a Lord of the Rings that I've "parked" at a friends home, and DAMN - it's another game!
It looks so fckn great....I would even swear that it plays better now

Just one thing, the right orbit skill shot shows garbled on the screen (the anouncement as well as the animation/score when you actually make the shot) - anyone know why this could be?
We've installed the most recent (v3.3) colordmd rom, and the game itself should be on the latest release as well.

Everything else looks flawless, though I cannot speak for valinor at the moment

#485 8 years ago

I would download the ROM again an re-install. After reading your post I checked mine and found it still at 3.0 so I got 3.3 and installed. I wanted DotXL mode anyway.

I got three different scenes from the right orbit. Collect a ring, collect Merry and even super skill shot with the flying arrow. All looked fine.

But the super skill goes from flying arrow to Orc face, red screen then the Super Skill text all just fine.

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Out of curiosity if someone's willing to put the time in how hard is it to color a game? Like do you need a lot of computer programming experience? Is there any special equipment that a devolper needs to get? I think it's fantastic that the community has colored a lot of these titles.

Wondering this as well. Would love to help out with a game, especially if Data East support is being added.

#487 8 years ago

I'm just about finished with my TZ rebuild. I would sure love to put a colorDMD in this baby!

#488 8 years ago

Just send Dmod a PM if you're serious about trying your hand at it. Assuming they're able to manage more volunteers right now you'll need to sign an NDA and then they can walk you through things.

I don't know what the status of Data East support is, I know they were planning on it.

#489 8 years ago

Got my colordmd in my TZ yesterday, looks awesome!
Now waiting for the color ROM

#490 8 years ago

The excitement of ColorDMD is so retro, reminds me of computers in the 80's... it was exciting to go from monochrome to color monitors, and then go through iterations of 4-color games, to 16 color games to 256 color games to millions of colors... upgrading monitors and graphics cards all the way. Hopefully monochrome DMDs are coming to an end after 25 years, and based on the enthusiasm, long overdue!

That also means are 25 years of pinball machines to colorize just like the old black and white movies... very exciting to see them released one by one.

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That also means are 25 years of pinball machines to colorize just like the old black and white movies... very exciting to see them released one by one.

For me, colorizing of movies is a downgrade and I prefer them in their original form, but pinball is another story. Keep em coming!

#492 8 years ago

As always, I'm ready to hear about the next game getting full color. I am hoping for indy 500 or the Shadow.

#493 8 years ago

I just installed my Metallica ColorDMD and its my first. It is unbelievable. It really makes the game pop.

#494 8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing some more sterns get completed. ColorDMD is the best mod in pinball by far.

#495 8 years ago

It won't be your last I'm guessing!

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Looking forward to seeing some more sterns get completed. ColorDMD is the best mod in pinball by far.

I think so too. Very nice work Randy!

#497 8 years ago

Popeyee and High Speed II now supported....I'm going to pickup a sigma for my WCS and FGY now.....surely, these titles will show, as completely random stuff coming through now.....happy for the Pinsiders that have these machines....mark

#498 8 years ago

I have volunteered to take on WWF Royal Rumble when Data East support is available. That's one I've wanted to do since I first heard of ColorDMD, and would be a really fun game to see in color!

#499 8 years ago

do you have volunteered to take on TFTC ?

#500 8 years ago

Untill the color ROM for TZ is released, I'm happy with the ColorDMD connected to my RGB controller (which also controls the LED strip behind Rod Sterling)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 218.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,800 (OBO)
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,229 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2015/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.