Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by wamonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

735A46B4-94CF-4114-858E-4DEBA88F4190 (resized).png

#1 65 days ago

Looking at at a machime the current owner modded, adding a colordmd. Is there a way to just change to a solid red color with this display mod?

Appreciate any suggestions and input.

Tim

#2 65 days ago
Quoted from ChiTownPinHead:

You wont like a single color as much as the actual Color DMD

#3 65 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You wont like a single color as much as the actual Color DMD

I thought so myself but I'm actually looking for that 80s style red display.

#4 65 days ago

Just buy a stern red led dmd then, I installed those on a few games, at least half the price of a color dmd if not even cheaper.

#5 65 days ago

Might want to jst try a filter...although i never have

https://www.ulekstore.com/Red_DMD_Filter_for_Terminator_2_pinball_machine_p/wpc-dmd-red.htm
Mezel mods has one as well...maybe others

#6 65 days ago

Looking at at a machime the current owner modded, adding a colordmd. Is there a way to just change to a solid red color with this display mod?
Tim

Color DMDs are awesome and rarely show up as individual items on the resale market. I can almost promise you that if you get the machine with the color DMD, you could put up a local add for "Color DMD for sale, 200$ + a normal DMD". You'd have multiple offers and someone would probably come remove/install a replacement "regular" one for you.

#7 65 days ago

Red filter.

#8 65 days ago

Tim

Hey chi town, chi town here...any chance you want to sell that color dmd? Just wondering. Its retro enough for me still.

#9 65 days ago

I thought so myself but I'm actually looking for that 80s style red display.

Well, that's going to be a fun conversion.

Following.

#10 65 days ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Hey chi town, chi town here...any chance you want to sell that color dmd? Just wondering. Its retro enough for me still.

After thinking about it I'll probably just buy a red DMD and shelf the color for a different pin.

#11 65 days ago
Quoted from kklank:

Red filter.

Thought about this. Wonder if it would work?

#12 65 days ago

Thought about this. Wonder if it would work?

Replacing it with a RED LED display, either stern or otherwise would be your easiest.. You would need to find 5v to power it off of.

#13 65 days ago

Is the SIGMA ROM for ColorDMD still a thing? Couldn't the OP just load that onto the ColorDMD, and set it to red?

#14 65 days ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Is the SIGMA ROM for ColorDMD still a thing? Couldn't the OP just load that onto the ColorDMD, and set it to red?

That's what I was thinking... just install the SIGMA rom and pick whatever color you want for now.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html#SIGMA%20ROM

Maybe email ColodDMD with your displays info, just to confirm it's comparable.

#15 65 days ago

Doesn't matter guys! Deal fell through. The hunt for a T2 continues. This one was already modded and I am really looking to add my personal touch so not too bummed.

#16 65 days ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Considered this but I'd be running an expensive display to achieve my desired look. I'd be thinking it's just too much money spent compared to to a red dmd filter mod. Just gotta find the right machine. 15,202 made there's going to be one right for me.

#17 65 days ago

Ill trade you straight up for a standard dmd

#18 65 days ago

Buy a used Stern 5 volt DMD and go to Marco To get the adapter for it. I think you should’ve be able to get a used Stern DMD for $75-109 shipped and $8 for the cable - I did that on Getaway and looks great.

735A46B4-94CF-4114-858E-4DEBA88F4190 (resized).png
#19 65 days ago

If you ask as a topic to buy a used Stern 5 volt .... tons are around .... I bet you can get one easy.

#20 64 days ago

Doesn't matter guys! Deal fell through. The hunt for a T2 continues. This one was already modded and I am really looking to add my personal touch so not too bummed.

Oh it was for t2? Ya, good move tossing the color dmd. Pretty useless in that game.

#21 64 days ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oh it was for t2? Ya, good move tossing the color dmd. Pretty useless in that game.

I understand it's a personal preference but to me having a red display just feels right on T2. As a few others have stated it could easily be swapped out with a Stern display for a bargain. I am still interested in seeing how the filter would look as well. For the money saved I'd rather upgrade the sound board compared to investing in the colorDMD. Until I find a base machine for my build I'm definitely going to start grabbing components!

#22 64 days ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Buy a used Stern 5 volt DMD and go to Marco To get the adapter for it. I think you should’ve be able to get a used Stern DMD for $75-109 shipped and $8 for the cable - I did that on Getaway and looks great.[quoted image]

This was the answer to my needs. Even get the bonus of preserving the original display for future projects.

#23 64 days ago

This was the answer to my needs. Even get the bonus of preserving the original display for future projects.

Worked for me on Getaway and a red 5 volt Stern would be great on T2.

Seriously- just ask Pinside who has a Stern red display I am sure tons of people have one laying around from a ColorDMD upgrade. They would be happy to get $75-100 back on their colorDMD purchase. On Facebook pinball sales groups they come up kind of often or wanted posts come up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
Trade
Sale Pending!
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 19.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside