Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“LED vs LCD”

• LED 65 votes
      38%
    • LCD 104 votes
      62%

(169 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shadow (resized).JPG
    ColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpg
    ColorDMD LCD (resized).jpg
    25EA3691-2F44-42EA-BBFA-45D262E6CED9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

I have an lcd on my Met pro and an led on my T3, they are side by side. Very happy with the lcd but the led has a black problem. Because the led's have a white bulb when they aren't lit the white of the bulb picks up the reflected pf light so the black is kind of a gray. Adding a Bent Plastic only blocks about 75% of the reflected light from the bottom up of the led display so that 75% is black but the top 25% is still gray.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I've installed many of the LCD's and decided to give the LED model a try on TWD premium. It's ok but the DotsXL is the best looking upgrade available and you can't do it with the LED. The LED is nice and bright for sure but the space between the pixels is more pronounced compared to the LCD.

Now if they came out with an HD LED display with double the leds THAT would be a game changer for me. Just wishful thinking on my part.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Do those even exist yet? RGB LED panels at that density?

I remember seeing something about HD displays on Pinside but I can't remember where of when.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Buying that one display is going to cost you!
    (because you won't be able to cope with the others not having it)

Aint that the truth. I keep holding off because otherwise I'd be out BIG $$$$$$

2 months later
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

I know this thread is a bit old now but I installed an LCD ColorDMD in my Getaway about 3 years ago and I thought it was great. Recently, I've read lots of great reviews about the LED version so about 3 days I decided to install one in my Shadow. At first I hated it and was starting to regret my purchase but with some tweaking to the brightness and contrast levels I finally have it to a level where I really like it too. If it's possible, I may switch the 2 displays to see which one is more fitting for each pin. I think most of the opinions are subjective, including mine, so here's what I think....
    PROS:
    LCD
    More versatile because it has more display options, 8bit, dots, hi res...
    Can give a more modern look to an older machine with the smoothing
    LED
    Better brightness and more of an old school look with the dots
    Perfect fit into the speaker panel
    CONS:
    LCD
    The size of the display doesn't fit perfectly into the speaker panel but this isn't a real issue
    Not as bright as LED
    LED
    Can pick up the white reflection from the backbox or playfield lights. I was able to correct this by filling in the small gaps around the display
    Can be too bright if turned up too high
    In the end, it comes down to personal preference and, in my opinion, either one is great upgrade to the pin and one of the better more tasteful mods.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Compare the blacks between the 2. I find that the blacks are nice and black with the lcd. Because the led is made up of frosted white bulbs when they are off to form the black the white bulbs pick up the light reflection from the pf so the blacks look gray not truly black. That's something else to look for.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Bent plastics help to reduce glare from PF lights on all versions of colordmd.
    When I first bought colordmds, I thought I didn't need the bent plastics anymore, and removed them. I was wrong, they are still needed for the reverse glare.

Yes that's what I used also, the bottom 3/4 of the led version is nice and black but the top 1/4 looks like crap.

Quoted from tiltmonster:

I didn't see that to the extent you're describing but I did have some light from the backbox hitting the top of the panel which made it seem to have a white li e across the top. This cleared up when I covered the 1/8" gap with electrical tape and this solved the problem.

Put a Bent Plastic on your led version and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-led-vs-lcd-poll?tu=MustangPaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.