Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“LED vs LCD”

• LED 65 votes
      38%
    • LCD 104 votes
      62%

(169 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shadow (resized).JPG
    ColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpg
    ColorDMD LCD (resized).jpg
    25EA3691-2F44-42EA-BBFA-45D262E6CED9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Over the last few months I’m following the ColorDMD LED vs LCD thread. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led)

And now I’m VERY curious to know what the approximate share each system has. So I thought it’s nice if we all use this poll to visualize the Prinsiders preference.
    25EA3691-2F44-42EA-BBFA-45D262E6CED9 (resized).jpeg25EA3691-2F44-42EA-BBFA-45D262E6CED9 (resized).jpeg

Let us please keep the discussions in the original thread. I purely started this topic for the poll.

#2 5 years ago

I have LCD's in my recent Sterns in "tile mode" and I love it. It looks modern, it's very nice and looks good next to a recent lcd-stern.
    I have friend who came over and also bought lcd's for there sterns.
    I would never buy a led color dmd.

But that's just my opinion.

#3 5 years ago

LCD & DotsXL for the win.

#4 5 years ago

LCD & 8bit mode on all the games I can. Not interested in the LED versions at all since they won’t do the 8bit mode.

#5 5 years ago

I bought the Led. After seeing both the Led was brighter and more true to the original.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

I bought the Led. After seeing both the Led was brighter and more true to the original.

Did you put an orange filter on it for that old time feel too?

#7 5 years ago

Poll fail, as it does not allow for a mixture of displays in one's collection, such as mine.

I have a LED display in LAH, CV, currently Corvette, had in R&B (sold the game with it). LCD is currently in Pinball Magic, Stern and Williams IJ, STTNG, POTC, TZ, Indy 500, and Junkyard.

I like each for difference reasons so there is no wrong answer because it is your preference as to which you may like more. I do prefer the LCD.

#8 5 years ago

I have an lcd on my Met pro and an led on my T3, they are side by side. Very happy with the lcd but the led has a black problem. Because the led's have a white bulb when they aren't lit the white of the bulb picks up the reflected pf light so the black is kind of a gray. Adding a Bent Plastic only blocks about 75% of the reflected light from the bottom up of the led display so that 75% is black but the top 25% is still gray.

#9 5 years ago

LED displays in all 6 (soon to be 7) games. Love them.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Poll fail, as it does not allow for a mixture of displays in one's collection, such as mine.
    I have a LED display in LAH, CV, currently Corvette, had in R&B (sold the game with it). LCD is currently in Pinball Magic, Stern and Williams IJ, STTNG, POTC, TZ, Indy 500, and Junkyard.
    I like each for difference reasons so there is no wrong answer because it is your preference as to which you may like more. I do prefer the LCD.

I’m sorry you HAVE to pick just one. Which one is it going to be?

#11 5 years ago

I can't pick one. I used to be LCD all the way but after putting LED in GB I think it depends on the pin.

#12 5 years ago

From what Ive had an seen I do prefer LCD (dots xl) but all the games Id put it on are newer sterns with the metal backbox which has a huge gap after install. So Im going to wait for them to release a form fitting lcd before I buy any more.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

From what Ive had an seen I do prefer LCD (dots xl) but all the games Id put it on are newer sterns with the metal backbox which has a huge gap after install. So Im going to wait for them to release a form fitting lcd before I buy any more.

We offer foam gaskets on our site now that fill the space between the speaker panel and LCD.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Koos:

I’m sorry you HAVE to pick just one. Which one is it going to be?

I had answered that with the last comment in my post.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I do prefer the LCD.

#15 5 years ago

As long as you don't use smoothing, it's all good baby.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

I prefer it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

That’s for a different poll!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

We offer foam gaskets on our site now that fill the space between the speaker panel and LCD.

Ive seen those and they do look good however I still dont like the large space - the install of the led looks so much better but I dont like how much black space there is.

I'll just wait for the next gen of displays, once its been improved I have 5 sterns to do! But no rush.

#19 5 years ago

I've installed many of the LCD's and decided to give the LED model a try on TWD premium. It's ok but the DotsXL is the best looking upgrade available and you can't do it with the LED. The LED is nice and bright for sure but the space between the pixels is more pronounced compared to the LCD.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I've installed many of the LCD's and decided to give the LED model a try on TWD premium. It's ok but the DotsXL is the best looking upgrade available and you can't do it with the LED. The LED is nice and bright for sure but the space between the pixels is more pronounced compared to the LCD.

Now if they came out with an HD LED display with double the leds THAT would be a game changer for me. Just wishful thinking on my part.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Now if they came out with an HD LED display with double the leds THAT would be a game changer for me. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Oooooh great idea!!
    I wonder what Dmod is developing behind closed curtains.

#22 5 years ago

LED all the way for me, easy to install, looks original and the colors are so much more intense.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Very happy with the lcd but the led has a black problem.

I HIGHLY recommended coupling the LED display with the pinball life glare film. Then turn the LED brightness all the way up and BAM amazing blacks and contrast ratio. Off pixels vanish. Gap between pixels is invisible. Not to mention no reflection off the glass.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

sterns with the metal backbox which has a huge gap

You can buy $5 worth of black adhesive weatherstripping from lowes and build a foam gasket to fill the gap pretty easily.

#25 5 years ago

LCD all the way, and maybe its me, but I just don't seem to have an issue with gap. I really didn't even pay much attention until the foam gasket thread popped up.

as far which mode, to me, THAT depends on the pin.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Do those even exist yet? RGB LED panels at that density?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Do those even exist yet? RGB LED panels at that density?

I remember seeing something about HD displays on Pinside but I can't remember where of when.

#28 5 years ago

Great poll, I’m looking to get my first colourdmd for Xmas this year so this will help me decide, keep the votes coming

#29 5 years ago

I have LCD in all my dmd games but one which is Tommy. I only went with an LED for tommy because that was the only option. I prefer the looks of LCD. If I could have LCD in Tommy without modifying the game I would.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Great poll, I’m looking to get my first colourdmd for Xmas this year so this will help me decide, keep the votes coming

Buying that one display is going to cost you!

(because you won't be able to cope with the others not having it)

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Buying that one display is going to cost you!
    (because you won't be able to cope with the others not having it)

Aint that the truth. I keep holding off because otherwise I'd be out BIG $$$$$$

2 months later
    #32 5 years ago

I know this thread is a bit old now but I installed an LCD ColorDMD in my Getaway about 3 years ago and I thought it was great. Recently, I've read lots of great reviews about the LED version so about 3 days I decided to install one in my Shadow. At first I hated it and was starting to regret my purchase but with some tweaking to the brightness and contrast levels I finally have it to a level where I really like it too. If it's possible, I may switch the 2 displays to see which one is more fitting for each pin. I think most of the opinions are subjective, including mine, so here's what I think....

PROS:

LCD
    More versatile because it has more display options, 8bit, dots, hi res...
    Can give a more modern look to an older machine with the smoothing

LED
    Better brightness and more of an old school look with the dots
    Perfect fit into the speaker panel

CONS:

LCD
    The size of the display doesn't fit perfectly into the speaker panel but this isn't a real issue
    Not as bright as LED

LED
    Can pick up the white reflection from the backbox or playfield lights. I was able to correct this by filling in the small gaps around the display
    Can be too bright if turned up too high

In the end, it comes down to personal preference and, in my opinion, either one is great upgrade to the pin and one of the better more tasteful mods.
    ColorDMD LCD (resized).jpgColorDMD LCD (resized).jpgColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpgColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpg

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

I know this thread is a bit old now but I installed an LCD ColorDMD in my Getaway about 3 years ago and I thought it was great. Recently, I've read lots of great reviews about the LED version so about 3 days I decided to install one in my Shadow. At first I hated it and was starting to regret my purchase but with some tweaking to the brightness and contrast levels I finally have it to a level where I really like it too. If it's possible, I may switch the 2 displays to see which one is more fitting for each pin. I think most of the opinions are subjective, including mine, so here's what I think....
    PROS:
    LCD
    More versatile because it has more display options, 8bit, dots, hi res...
    Can give a more modern look to an older machine with the smoothing
    LED
    Better brightness and more of an old school look with the dots
    Perfect fit into the speaker panel
    CONS:
    LCD
    The size of the display doesn't fit perfectly into the speaker panel but this isn't a real issue
    Not as bright as LED
    LED
    Can pick up the white reflection from the backbox or playfield lights. I was able to correct this by filling in the small gaps around the display
    In the end, it comes down to personal preference and, in my opinion, either one is great upgrade to the pin and one of the better more tasteful mods.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Compare the blacks between the 2. I find that the blacks are nice and black with the lcd. Because the led is made up of frosted white bulbs when they are off to form the black the white bulbs pick up the light reflection from the pf so the blacks look gray not truly black. That's something else to look for.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Compare the blacks between the 2. I find that the blacks are nice and black with the lcd. Because the led is made up of frosted white bulbs when they are off to form the black the white bulbs pick up the light reflection from the pf so the blacks look gray not truly black. That's something else to look for.

I didn't see that to the extent you're describing but I did have some light from the backbox hitting the top of the panel which made it seem to have a white li e across the top. This cleared up when I covered the 1/8" gap with electrical tape and this solved the problem.

#35 5 years ago

Bent plastics help to reduce glare from PF lights on all versions of colordmd.

When I first bought colordmds, I thought I didn't need the bent plastics anymore, and removed them. I was wrong, they are still needed for the reverse glare.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

When I first bought colordmds, I thought I didn't need the bent plastics anymore, and removed them. I was wrong, they are still needed for the reverse glare.

Yes that's what I used also, the bottom 3/4 of the led version is nice and black but the top 1/4 looks like crap.

Quoted from tiltmonster:

I didn't see that to the extent you're describing but I did have some light from the backbox hitting the top of the panel which made it seem to have a white li e across the top. This cleared up when I covered the 1/8" gap with electrical tape and this solved the problem.

Put a Bent Plastic on your led version and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

This product works amazingly well for both the LED & LCD (I have both). I removed the bent plastics after installing the glare film.

https://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from zene10:

This product works amazingly well for both the LED & LCD (I have both). I removed the bent plastics after installing the glare film.

Thanks! I will have to give this a go.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from zene10:

I use a similar film and it's a must-have in my opinion. It makes the display darker and the contrast gets improved a lot.

#40 5 years ago

Yes, adding the glare-guard improves the LED display 2x. Removes the light reflecting off the LEDs from the PF and knocks the over-bright colors down so they all appear uniform. They should sell these with the displays IMHO.

Comparing the 2 well, using Hi-Rez mode on a 90s game is a travesty IMHO. I greatly prefer the Dots setting on the LCD. The LED here looks fantastic!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

I've read lots of great reviews about the LED version so about 3 days I decided to install one in my Shadow.
    CONS:

LED

I found the biggest con for LED is the off-pixels are visible in a distracting way and makes for poor blacks. It's especially obvious in your own image around the face.

It bothered me enough, I came up with my own solution I made available:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-led-display-cover-panel-to-improve-contrast

Shadow (resized).JPGShadow (resized).JPG

#42 5 years ago

Just installed my 2nd Colordmd.
    I’m in the LCD group. The colors pop and the blacks are true. I use dotsXL and to me it mimics the original DMD really well. The LED is cheaper and fits all games which is plus but like others have said the blacks are not quite right and the colors can be too bright and not exactly uniform.

#43 5 years ago

Thought about it and I prefer the LED, I do really like the dots xl on the lcd, however the cleaner install, added brightness, and off axis viewing angle are much more important to me.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I found the biggest con for LED is the off-pixels are visible in a distracting way and makes for poor blacks. It's especially obvious in your own image around the face.
    It bothered me enough, I came up with my own solution I made available:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-led-display-cover-panel-to-improve-contrast
    [quoted image]

I'm not 100% sure what this is or how it installs but I do not want to hijack the thread... I would like more information other than what I see in your market place ad

#45 5 years ago

I have been using only ColorDMD LCDs. But a friend has the LED version in his Scared Stiff and it is brighter (than the LCD in my SS) and I liked it better in that particular game. So I purchased an LED to put in my SS. And I lucked out, because they finally colorized WHOdunnit. So I am moving the LCD from my SS over to W?D.

#46 5 years ago

LED ColorDMD here

#47 5 years ago

Another vote for ColorDmd LED with the comet pinball glare eliminators. Simple to install. Colors look much brighter in my opinion, but the reality is it doesn’t matter. Either one is so much better than Orange! Once you convert one game pretty soon you’ll be spending more money on the rest!
    If you attend any of the pinball festivals that ColorDmd attends you may be able to save on shipping. I bought a couple last year prior to the TPF and picked them up there. It made me feel like I was getting a deal!

1 year later
    #48 3 years ago

Just installed the LCD on my "new to me" ST vault - color makes a huge difference on the animations on this game. I like the "tile" setting. Haven't been bothered by the gap yet but may added some black foam in the future.

My LoTRs came with a LCD set on smoothing, thinking of changing to "tile".

I really dislike the directional aspect of LEDs. Bothers my eyes. LCD is easier on the eyes IMO.

Recently went to Logan Airport and all the signage is now LEDs, too bright and searing on the eyeballs.

#49 3 years ago

What looks best on metallica?

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

What looks best on metallica?

LCD, like it does on every other machine

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-led-vs-lcd-poll?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.