4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mappy24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190901_224614 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

So I bought a ColorDMD LED back in February for my STTNG, when I installed it I noticed it had a totally dead LED on the left side matrix. The LED matrix board was swapped out under warranty and it's been working great since then.

A few nights ago I noticed that there was a problem with one of the LED's on the right hand side matrix now, it works fine except the color red is dead. I've reported this to the distributor and they will (hopefully) be able to help me with another replacement.

Has this happened to anyone else? Starting to wish I hadn't bothered now and just got a regular orange DMD instead.

IMG_20190901_224614 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_224614 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

A couple portions of one or two LEDs went out in the ColorDMD LED panel in the Junk Yard at the VFW Pinball Museum. They weren't originally out when the panel was installed. It happened over the next few weeks/months.

Why go with an orange DMD instead of a ColorDMD LCD panel? Are you totally against LCD?

#3 4 years ago

I have 4 and they have no issues. Two of them I already had for 3 years.

#4 4 years ago

Ive only owned the LCD version and have had no issues. I like the extra customizable options on the lcd vs the led. I understand that the led is smaller (original dmd size) and fits in a few pins that the lcd version won’t fit. I would also contact colordmd and see if the the defect is covered under warranty

#5 4 years ago

I had one led lose RED on my LED ColorDMD on LOTR. I think it happened within the first few months. My other one I have on GOT is fine.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

A couple portions of one or two LEDs went out in the ColorDMD LED panel in the Junk Yard at the VFW Pinball Museum. They weren't originally out when the panel was installed. It happened over the next few weeks/months.
    Why go with an orange DMD instead of a ColorDMD LCD panel? Are you totally against LCD?

I had a play on an STTNG with an LCD in it last month, made me glad I went for the LED version I think LED suits the old WPC-era games better.

However, I could have saved a small fortune just getting a stock orange DMD!!

Once the display is out of warranty I assume I can just get these of Aliexpress if I have issues again?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044173307.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.15.1a441ab9Zg5vik

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have 4 and they have no issues. Two of them I already had for 3 years.

That's two that have had issues in the months I've owned it. Maybe it was a bad batch of displays!!

Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I had one led lose RED on my LED ColorDMD on LOTR. I think it happened within the first few months. My other one I have on GOT is fine.

Interesting, seems I'm not alone here!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-led-reliability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.