IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
ACF4918D-E2B4-4114-A4A3-EDE02217E5DF (resized).jpeg
IMG_1517 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Buy a Pin2dmd LED and do the colorization yourself. Save a couple hundred.

Learn from my experience! Don't discount the commercial products.

...A note of warning: If you're considering coloring a game yourself as a way to save money over purchasing a ColorDMD version, think twice. It is seriously time consuming. I'm well over 100 man-hours into the colorization process and this does not count the hardware portion. ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-ve-smve-smartdmd-colorization#post-3226641

1 month later
#201 4 years ago

Put LED version of ColorDMD in about a month ago on SMVE. Been on the fence between LCD and LED but liked what I saw of the LED version on various games at Expo in October.

The form-factor fits so much better than the LCD on newer Sterns. The LED fits right in where the DMD was not set back from the front of the display like the LCD version.

Super bright! The colors are saturated.
Not sold on keeping it though. No matter how I adjust it it seems some of the detail is missing.

I have the contrast turned way down (2/3 range out of 9) to get some of the darker features of the graphics but seems to make the overall image too dark. If I pump up the contrast above 3, the graphics seem to get washed out. I've tried every combo of brightness & contrast.

Finally settled on brightness in the 7/8/9 range and contrast in the 2/3 range. To get results I like.

Also put on a DMD glare film which seemed to help.

I'll try it out for a while longer, move it to another game, but I may be listing on pinside soon and swapping it for out the LCD version.

Like other's have said, pictures are hard to get right and don't do justice to seeing it in-person. Pictures also show some scan artifacts (brigher lines) that you don't see in person.

WED_5019 (resized).JPG
WED_5021 (resized).JPG
WED_5023 (resized).JPG
WED_5025 (resized).JPG
WED_5027 (resized).JPG
WED_5028 (resized).JPG
WED_5029 (resized).JPG
WED_5031 (resized).JPG
WED_5034 (resized).JPG
WED_5035 (resized).JPG
WED_5038 (resized).JPG
WED_5036 (resized).JPG

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Your post got me confused... You're talking about the LED version, right?

Yes, meant LED. Corrected text in original post. Sorry for the confusion.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have LED on Shadow and LCD on Met.
The brighter vibrant colors on Shadow are so much better than washed out colors on Met's LCD.
I do not find the complaints about the LED being too piercing or too much black space an issue for me at all. I don't play my games in a dark room though.
I was concerned it might be an issue, but I really don't see it. The LCD washed out colors bug me more.
Brightness and color vibrancy is the outstanding difference to me. The Shadow is much improved with the LED.
I'm convinced it just depends on the individual and the game.

Agreed. It's a matter of taste.

A friend has an LCD on his TSPP, with upscaling, which makes it look more like the TV animation. LED would not work on that game as well.

I have LED on SMVE and LCD on MET. LCD does look washed out comparitively.
I do wish the LED had bigger dots though. I like the look of the adjustable (larger) LCD dots compared to the LED.

Side by side, guests are instantly drawn to the bright LED over the LCD.

3 weeks later
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

So anyone got a film to go over an LED that they really think helps? And a pointer on where to buy?
I've had ColorDMD in a bunch of games and I'm sure I've just gotten used to it, but so far I like it better by a tad than the LED I just put in my TronLE. That's based on purely comparing the look of the display itself (usually like XL mode on the ColorDMD). The LED now seems a tad harsh to me, even playing with contrast and brightness. I feel like a physical diffuser might help.
But I'm going to keep the LED in the TronLE *and* convert a colorDMD in my Metallica to LED because of the form factor. I have animated backbox kits in both machines and the LCD creates a shadow on the bottom 3/4" of the back glass that's very obvious. It's a bit smaller and a LOT less obvious on IronMan simply because of the backglass art, so I'm leaving that one DMD.
But on my other Bally/Williams games where the backbox art isn't compromised, I'll be staying DMD.
--Donnie

I used the anti-glare film from comet on my ColorDMD LED on SMVE. I imagine the one from pinball life would work just as well. Helps cut some of the LED intensity and I can play without the bent plastic.

2 years later
#627 2 years ago

I've a current generation Stern ColorDMD LED kit I'm thinking about selling (metal backbox type with clear shield & Comet Glare Guard installed). PM if interested. $400 shipped

1 month later
#640 2 years ago

ColorDMD LED listed for sale.

Archived after 0 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Contributed to Pinside
Mod - For Sale
Used, good condition “100% working latest generation ColorDMD (purchased in October of 2016). Includes new (unused) connection kit for SAM/Whitestar system. Includes Clear Shield for Metal Speaker Pane...”
2019-05-30
Tucson, AZ
330 (Firm)

1 year later
#721 1 year ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I love my ColorDMD LED's, and with the PinballLife glare guard it looks amazing. It's a must have addition if you do go LED. Couldn't be happier with it.

+1 for glare guard on LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside