By goatdan

1 year ago

Stats

• 533 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 month ago by Draegermeister
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2857 (resized).JPG
IMG_2859 (resized).JPG
IMG_2862 (resized).JPG
IMG_2864 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
IMG_1160 (resized).JPG
IMG_1165 (resized).JPG
IMG_1166 (resized).JPG
IMG_1158 (resized).JPG
IMG_4507 (resized).JPG
IMG_4505 (resized).JPG
IMG_4504 (resized).JPG
IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
IMG_2535 (resized).JPG
IMG_2533 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (1 year ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (1 year ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (1 year ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 1 year ago

I also just installed LED (on Shadow) and it is awesome. The colors are bright and vibrant. Much better to me than the LCD.

I have the color LCD on STTNG with dotsXL, and it is a major improvement over monochrome, but the colors are washed out. And the lack of brightness makes it inferior.

I also have LCD on Met with the upscale cartoon mode, which looks good on that game, but I still think the brighter colors you get with the LED are more impressive.

If you like the traditional dots, LED is definitely the way to go.

3 weeks later
#215 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I bought the LED one for my Shadow, but haven't had a change to install it yet (started tearing it down to clean it up). However, I noticed when looking at the panel that it didn't have the LED diffusers (as you mentioned). In the back of my mind I was thinking about it, but figured I'd wait until I got it installed to see how I felt about it. Since you've brought this back into fore of my thoughts I was thinking that maybe I (or anyone) could try printing the DMD hole pattern with larger holes on a semi-transparent vellum paper or something to get closer to the DotsXL look...?
If you figure something out, please post. Otherwise I can try in a month or so when I get my machine back together..

I have LED on Shadow and LCD on Met.

The brighter vibrant colors on Shadow are so much better than washed out colors on Met's LCD.

I do not find the complaints about the LED being too piercing or too much black space an issue for me at all. I don't play my games in a dark room though.

I was concerned it might be an issue, but I really don't see it. The LCD washed out colors bug me more.

Brightness and color vibrancy is the outstanding difference to me. The Shadow is much improved with the LED.

I'm convinced it just depends on the individual and the game.

4 months later
#352 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

No need. I'll decide for you. LCD looks great!

The LED colors are substantially more bright and vibrant than LCD. If you prefer the look of dots, get the LED.

If you like smoothing, you must get the LCD. Colors are washed out though.

The videos never capture how beautiful the LED colors are in real life. (I've got both LCD and LED.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 80.00
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 28.00
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Goffstown, NH
$ 78.00
£ 20.00
6,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Huntingtion , NY
$ 9.99
$ 64.99
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
£ 12.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside