pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#336 7 years ago

I can't decide between LED or LCD for my IMVE. I have LCD in my MET and ACDC, but both have the older wooden speaker panels. I'm not sure I like the idea of the LCD display being pushed back so far on IMVE. So, I just removed it from ACDC and mounting it in IMVE. I had standoffs (brass computer motherboard mounts are PERFECT!) and had a glass shop cut me a clear acrylic shield for $15. I'll try this out and see how well it goes. I covered the sides so there's no light bleed internally from the backbox. LED will be a much cleaner fit and doesn't need the offset.

That's where I'm at with this.

Rob

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just go with the LED on IM. I have the LCD and I keep it in DotsXL mode.....hi-res looks horrible on IM.....so you might as well just get the LED version.

Now that I have played it, I can certainly say IM absolutely looks fantastic with DotsXL. From a player perspective I don't notice the display is offset 1/4 inch. The video clips actually make sense now - it's really a night and day difference! To keep the displays all basically the same, I'm going to stick with the LCD.

I only use DotsXL on my games, never HiRes.

The Iron Monger liftoff looks over saturated though, like the colors are not right....?

Rob

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

There are like 4 different monger start clips - and I think at release one of them was not gamma corrected. I thought I updated the data for Randy, but maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe he didn't update the rom.

Not my video, but here's an example of that scene: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131877641?t=01h11m35s

Rob

9 months later
#491 6 years ago

What kind of LCD panels are ColorDMD using? Are they IPS? The reason I ask is because the viewing angles on my older colordmd displays I have in ACDC and MET have really good viewing angles. The new LCD panel I just bought for my IMVE isn't nearly as good. At a 45 degree viewing angle (someone watching from the side for example), the brightness drop is significant on the new panel - about 50%.

I just ordered another new LCD for GoT. I wanted to keep the displays consistent on DOTSXL (which I like best) so that is why I stuck with LCD, even though the mounting on newer Sterns is less than elegant.

Rob

1 month later
#492 6 years ago

What kind of panels are being used in the LCD displays now? Are these TN? They just don't seem to have as good of viewing angles like my older color dmd displays I bought 3 years ago. It's like 50% brightness drop at 45 degrees (someone watching to the side).

Rob

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Beats me, once I saw the LED (in JD) next to my LCD (in TZ using DotsXL) there was no going back.
Plus as you mention, the mounting is far more elegant.

Randy said they are TN panels. Maybe it's also a combination of the panel angle on new backboxes and that they are mounted further back. I would seriously reconsider LED at this point over LCD, but I know I would then miss DOTSXL. Oh well....

Rob

#498 6 years ago

My final thoughts... I think the LCD is fine in both brightness and viewing angle. I was perhaps a bit over concerned about things - my older displays still dim at wider viewing angles as well. I think it's just the mounting that makes a little extra difference. There's little to no mounting gap on the old Stern heads compared to the newer style backboxes. I'm not fond of the gap, but you don't notice it at all from playing perspective. Is LED worth it for the cleaner mounting? I don't know... I still like dots xl best on all my games. When I mounted the LCD panels in GoT and IMVE, I masked the metal edges of the panel in black tape and also shrouded the sides (foam stripping and black tape) so there is no backbox light coming through the sides.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.95
$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 63.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 218.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.