IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
ACF4918D-E2B4-4114-A4A3-EDE02217E5DF (resized).jpeg
IMG_1517 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (4 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

LCD is great but the LED look is really brilliant. It feels more like a real DMD but in full color. I only have one in CV, as I had no choice with that one - but I really want to see how more games look with the LED. I only use Dots XL on LCD, so not having the smear options doesn't matter for me.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I mean, come on, look at the HiRes TSPP video that Razorbak86 linked to, how the hell can you not like that? It is like watching the Simpsons cartoon.

But it's not, and that's the problem. The smear mode can't turn pixel art into real high resolution art. Simpsons cartoons don't have jagged lines or blobby eyes. The eyes are circles. The side of Barts head is straight. In dots, your brain fills in the missing information and you feel like you're seeing straight lines and circles. Smear mode fills in the blanks, but is limited by the limited resolution of the master art...and it just becomes a smear & isn't what the artists were going for. Dots XL is the superior option.

#54 4 years ago

Really? Are you looking at it 2 inches away? Enjoy it for what it is standing 3-4 foot away.

I have eyes. I enjoy dots very much because that's the art as it was created. Smear mode destroys the art and makes it look shitty....from 10 feet away, even.

#60 4 years ago

Looks great to me and I don't wear glasses. Of course, I'm not analyzing every dot and every frame.
Every piece of Electronics has it limits, even the newest 4k TV, which looks like a waste of money to me.

It's not about analyzing every frame. It's about what looks right and what looks wrong. I think if their High res filter was able to interpret things in the way some video game emulator settings do, I might be interested...until then, I'm sticking w/ DotsXL. For instance, this filter on Super Mario World makes the game look like "hand drawn" type art with perfectly curved lines. ColorDMD doesn't do that. I wonder if future updates could be capable of offering a smoother smoothing mode.

SMW (resized).png
TSPP (resized).png

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Your example is around 300x100pixels whereas ColorDMD has 128x32 to work with. You can't get a perfectly smooth line without available datapoints.
The beauty of the LCD model is the choices you get to maximize the display on the machine. Some look great with dotsXL, some with SCAN, some with HIRES. You don't have to convince us that HIRES is bad, I think it looks terrific on some titles, whereas dotsXL looks better on others. The LED version is great for a super bright display with saturated colors and fits in a standard DMD opening, but if the LCD fits, I'd prefer the LCD.
Either way, enjoy! There's no 'right' answer, its all personal choice.

Yup! My point is, it doesn't make Simpsons look like the show.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

This paper was an inspiration for trying to add upscaling to the ColorDMD but the example of SMW graphics is a bit optimistic. The problem with the curve fitting in this algorithm is that it makes everything look curvy... which is kind of cool but it makes text look weird.
The dark little secret of pinball animation is that most of the time you're looking at text. If the text is goofy, people hate it no matter how the graphics look... and one of the main reason people like the smoothing in the ColorDMD is that (most of the time) it makes the text really easy and more pleasant to read.

That's where we've always differed on this topic. You're interested in the text. I'm interested in the character art. Is ColorDMD capable of doing a curvy algorithm? If so, I'd love to see how that looks!!!

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

That looks amazing in HIRES. Where's the DOTXL for comparison?

I don't think this is XL (just found these on Google), but it's dots...personally, I think this looks better...it's the way the art was designed. It looks retro and cool...but when made solid, it looks like a poor version of the cartoon. But hey, to each their own...

TSPP (resized).png

dots (resized).png

1 week later
#111 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Black levels seems nice compared to most LCD colorDMD displays I have seen. Is that cause of the video or did you tweak the video setting?

They've used different display brands over the years. I've seen a lot of ColorDMDs that look a bit different from one to the next.

1 month later
#218 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I was anti-LED but just got back from playing a TRON with the LED display and its awesome for that game! I'm sure its going to be a matter of fitting the game.. but for TRON it's a 'must have'. Looks amazing

Yeah I just bought and installed the LED on my Tron...it's a little too dark with stock settings, but just bumping up the contrast from 5 to 7 makes it SING. It's crazy gorgeous, and the brighter/more saturated colors make the video footage look better, makes the Recognizers look beautiful, overall it just makes all the colors more "Trony". For instance, the oranges looked a bit brown on the LCD, but are nice and orange on the LED.

I turned on my Iron Man next to Tron, afraid I'd now hate the LCD and wanna switch all my games...thankfully, I still think it looks good - I'm gonna leave the others as LCD for the time being....but I really like the LED display and highly recommend it to anyone who likes the classic DMD look/feel, but in color!

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Could post a few pics, or maybe a video of it?

The unfortunate thing with LED is that it's really hard to photograph/video to show the true depth of the color. I tried to take some video of my Tron with LED, but deep blue turns into light blue on my phone's camera.

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just looked at my MET Pro with the lcd and my T3 with the LED. The unlit leds are turned off so they are black but the pf light reflection lights up the face of the leds so they look white, so the blacks of the led version actually look pretty bad. The blacks of the lcd are totally black and look MUCH better. For that reason alone I'm gonna go with a LCD for Avatar.

Interesting. I have Glare Guards on my games ...they used to be to keep DMD reflection off the glass....now I use them to keep playfield light reflection off the ColorDMD. So, if you're worried about light on the display, try a Glare Guard!

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think I would prefer a grey tinted gel in front of the LED to get rid of seeing the dots that aren't lit.

I don't mind seeing the unlit dots, as that's how standard DMDs look!

2 weeks later
#248 4 years ago

I had some "normal" people over (non pin peeps) ...and one girl was absolutely mesmerized by the LED display I put in Tron. It's surrounded by games with LCD ColorDMDs and a Hobbit ...but the LED Tron had her interest. She said "this is so beautiful...make it do cool things" lol...so, I played while she watched the screen...she thought it was the greatest thing ever.

On the other hand - a friend of mine who just has one game (Popeye) wanted to buy a ColorDMD for his game - I showed him the options and he wanted LCD (on DotsXL) ...he liked the the LCD look more.

At the end of the day, they're both awesome.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Saw several of the LED type displays on location and not a huge fan. Too bright, too much bling, dots only and doesn't go with the machine I was playing. I'll stick with LCD IF I even get another.

How did it not go with it? If it's color, it goes with it.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

For me, the display just seemed too bright. Didn't go with the rest of the game in that the playfield and inserts were not as bright, more of a retro feel and the display was opposite. It's just my opinion of course but the LED display may go better with a newer title that has a lot of lighting effects such as GB or MET.

Gotcha - look, I like both styles of display - but IMO the LED actually looks more retro since Orange DMDs are extremely bright. LED ColorDMD has that "real DMD" look (but color).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside