Topic Stats

• 627 posts
  • 222 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ST-custom3 (resized).jpg
ST-custom2 (resized).jpg
ST-custom1 (resized).jpg
GB-Clear (resized).jpg
84B9B39F-D068-415B-BD56-207DD4D39E59 (resized).jpeg
20181114_234942 (resized).jpg
20181114_235051 (resized).jpg
20181121_180137 (resized).jpg
20181118_065504 (resized).jpg
A9C32916-230A-4E1A-8661-31EFF6C5FB25 (resized).jpeg
3B4014B4-85BD-4A37-8605-2CB8F1636865 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2857 (resized).JPG
IMG_2859 (resized).JPG
IMG_2862 (resized).JPG
IMG_2864 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (2 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (2 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (2 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (2 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm looking at potentially starting to change over some of my games to ColorDMDs soon - I'm finally starting to set up the gameroom at the new house. When I do, I have recently seen that ColorDMD is starting to sell color LED boards... and they said they would have a further announcement about this at Expo.

From what I can see on their web site, Tommy is the only game that currently has an option about which set to use. Does anyone know more about what is going on with this option? Is the "traditional" ColorDMD the way to go? Does the LED version give any bonuses (other than the $30 cheaper price tag)? Not sure what to go with when I decide, and I can't seem to find much info on it either!

#6 2 years ago

Thanks everyone, good to know! For those who have modified DE games, how difficult is it to do? I'm probably going to make myself a list and start going through it one by one

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Here is a pic of the Tommy with the colorDMD LCD installed.

So, is it a case of you take down the speaker panel before opening up the backbox? Just trying to figure out how this all works, and I don't have a bunch to compare to physically here. All of this input is super appreciated I might end up starting with one of each and then swap them around to see what looks best in what. They tend to hold their value from what I have seen, so it shouldn't be like I'm losing a bunch of money if I opt to not use one or the other.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

On the LCD yes as the top of screen blocks the door from opening ! It's a minor issue that you get used to!

Is this for all games, or just the DE ones?

1 week later
#118 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Since I already had the camera and everything setup I figured why not post one in DotsXL mode too?

I was apparently one of the 14 people that looked through these so far, and just gotta say THANKS! This is SUPER helpful to me!

I *think* that LCD looks a little bit better to me, although I'm not positive on that yet... Having said that, before this video, I still had no idea!

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I was another one of the 14 that looked at all of them. I was more interested in dots vs. dots xl. I saw the LED vs. LCD at the Chicago Expo booth, and I like the LCD better. The LEDs are too "pointedly bright". Small bright pinpoint lights with a lot of black space around them - I didn't like that. I purchased the LCD and just received my ColorDMD order today for my ACDCPrem. Hopefully I get time this weekend or next to install it and put the right software download on it. From the videos it looks like I want to find the dots XL setting. Thanks for showing the comparisons on the same machine.

Yeah, from what I saw I agree that the DotsXL seemed like the way to go for me too. I haven't yet bit the bullet, as I will probably be stupid and want to buy like 10 at the exact same time, but my DM is starting to outgas...

I need to get the walls down in the basement and start making more machines appear...

2 years later
#608 4 months ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

From the horses mouth, do you side with the opinion that the LEDs are preferred on older games w/ limited brightness levels as opposed to newer games w/ substantially more brightness levels and more full animation art?

I'm not the horse's mouth, but I started the thread so...

I ended up buying (so far) one of each. LED in STTNG and LCD in Metallica. Having said that, I have been working with a collection of games that has about 10 color DMDs now on a regular basis and in short...

I think the LED looks more "correct" in the older games. It looks like how their DMDs looked, and the four color thing makes them feel just about right.

The newer Stern games I always thought their DMDs looked like they couldn't handle whatever the art was supposed to be. The LCD allows you to smooth that and make it seem more like how I would expect it to be, honestly.

I intend to get more in the future, and my rule of thumb will probably be pre-2000 games will be LED and post 2000 games will be LCD. Will have to make determinations on any Whitestar games...

#619 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm an LED guy now. Cheaper, smaller, easier to install, looks better, and more durable (I've seen the LCDs cracked in shipping).
I think upscaling is dumb 100% of the time so not an issue for me. If you prefer your DMD animations bastardized into blobs the LCD is your only choice.

Curious, do you feel this way on the newer Sterns? I feel like they have built it DMD animations that have been pre-bastardized into blobs, and some of the LCD smoothing modes help them look somewhat better. For sure those games with rendered animation I think look FAR better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
3,850 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Valencia, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
4,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Eunice, LA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 218.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 16.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside