pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#715 4 years ago

This is now my second ColorDMD, both LED. The first in a TFTC and another in a BSD.

I first opted for LED in the TFTC because I didn't want to dremel the interior of my speaker panel for the LCD to fit, and didn't like how the top of the LCD screen could be seen as a black form in a bottom part of the translite. I'm so happy the way the LED looked and never considered changing.

Then had an opportunity to grab color for BSD, and once again I couldn't be happier with LED. Looks great and I don't have to lower my speaker panel every time I want to swing open my light panel to see the boards.

It's really personal preference, both are a luxury, both are awesome, and may always be a game to game decision. I seem to like MET in LCD, but sticking to the original technology of an LED screen just with a splash of color feels right. With all the odd fittings it seems weird to mount a laptop screen in a game. I'll probably feel different when I try LCD one day.

IMG_1517 (resized).jpgIMG_1517 (resized).jpg

6 months later
#720 3 years ago

I love my ColorDMD LED's, and with the PinballLife glare guard it looks amazing. It's a must have addition if you do go LED. Couldn't be happier with it.

#729 3 years ago
Quoted from Codeman00:

Do I need to order the inner or outer mounting no glare film for the LED ColorDMD?

The pictures in the product link below show the stripping that is probably already attached to your panel. The film sits on top of that stripping, and with the help of spacers, the DMD sits just slightly off the glare film. As others have stated if you see a gap, then fill in where necessary to your preference. But I don't recall seeing any on my BSD.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0115-00

From there, increase the brightness of the DMD to shine through the film, and it looks great. I can barely see the dots anymore when the game is off and almost looks like an LCD screen is in there.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions on install.

1 week later
#780 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Anyone put an LCD in a Data East game? I think you have to cut the DMD/speaker panel.

Yes you have to dremel the interior of the speaker panel to fit an LCD in a Data East game.

The LCD screen will leave a half inch (give or take) tall shadow along the bottom of the translite. Some games it’s not noticeable and others it is. I had TFTC and the comic art goes from top to bottom, so I didn’t want to block any of that or permanently alter the panel.

Couldn’t be happier with the end result.

#800 3 years ago

I would ask PinballLife since it’s their product.

I’ll try to replicate it tonight.

#802 3 years ago

Awesome man. Glad you’re getting clarity on what you like. Again, people seem to think those stern models do very well with the smoothing.

And with the glare of the PF, you may never get it perfect. I will say that the LeD reflected off the PF glass a lot, but a glare guard plastic under the DMD panel blocks it completely both ways, but you gotta live with the plastic, which mentally disappears over time, and of course your first attempt at the glare film had an issue.

As discussed, try both with and without supporting accessories like the glare guards and see what works for you.

I have good news to report that you may not be crazy on the double image. This weekend I tested it with a variety of angles and I think I recreated what you seen. The pic below shows my camera on my toes as high as I can to grab a shot, and it shows what looks like an extra set of blue dots under each set of real dots. Is this what you were seeing?

If so, it’s the glare guard and the way it’s made I guess. You said to me pinballlife is promising to return it for you so I would do that. I’m 5’ 11” so it isnt an issue for me and very happy with mine, but I am super curious to try the comet version now.

38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wappingers Falls, NY
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=davebart5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.