pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider camcamaro1991.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Hello All,
I'm debating on a LCD or LED for Star Trek. I can't seem to find a good video of Star Trek with the LCD upscaling in full color. Although both LED and LCD look great with the dots, Star Trek being a LED if LED is a better fit and I am curious if the LCD will look flat and if the upscalling will look blobbly. Some games look great with the upscaling (LOTR for example) and some much better with dots (Family Guy). Thanks for any input.

LCD with DOTXL, done! HI-RES looks ok at first but then you will more than likely set it to DOTXL.

7 months later
#607 5 years ago

I really like that the ColorDMD LCD sits a little further back, no reflection on my playfield glass which is a nice plus, which before the my STLE and GB had a little bit of a reflection before with the stock/factory Red/Orange LED. My Harley Davidson ColorDMD LED has loads reflection even with HD glass, but the panel is not angled like my STLE & GB. ColorDMD please color the HD, I know your getting closer to fewer and fewer colorable games. PLEASE, 100# or 3 out of 3 pins have ColorDMD's in them.

6 months later
#648 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Ok, so I tried to pay attention at the NW Pin Show tonight and I think I saw one thing about the debate that is going to make me go LCD. If I am correct, on the LED I could actually see the "segments" of LEDs (like 8x8 squares or something) behind a shiny black "plastic" coating. If that is actually correct, if that is the LED screen then I am going to go LCD as that would drive me nuts. Can someone confirm that is actually the situation?

I own both ColorDMD's, 1x LED (my 1st ColorDMD purchase for Whitestar) and 2x LCD's ( 2-3 purchase for Sam & Spike) ColorDMD's, This as been discussed many times. I feel what you are saying about the segments, since the LED uses a RGB 3 color emitter's in a single node "Y" pattern, in some colors you can see the single emitter produce light, which can off center a cluster of LED's, in addition to the block/pack of LED's, they can have slightly larger gap or separation or angled slightly towards or away from the user, between the blocks to them adding to a misalignment, which the factory Stern LED suffer from as well, which I do notice it drove me crazy on my factory Stern LED on my GB.

I prefer the LCD for the most consistent & even look, esp... since DOTs & DOTXL (<-my favorite) delivers on a very accurate DMD experience, color, perfect alignment. ColorDMD demo's their YouTube videos with LCD pattern for obvious reasons, you get exactly what you see in the videos on your pin.

Regardless which you choose. IMO, ColorDMD is the single most important mod I have done on my pins, they are worth every penny. ColorDMD please color HD, you could knock out 2 brand pins, Sega and Stern!

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The LEDs on the RGB modules used by ColorDMD are individually pick-and-placed so there isn't any clustering between groups of LEDs within a module. When fabricated, the surface tension on each of the solder pads helps to pull all the LEDs into position so they appear extremely uniform.
To get 128x32, two 64x32 modules are combined. At worst you would see a vertical seam midway between the two modules but this should be almost invisible. It's possible the modules shift during shipping and they can be adjusted by loosening the screws on the rear of the display and realigning them back into position.
The red, green, and blue emitters in each LED are actually in a row (or column) rather than a Y pattern. (A Y pattern would be better in my opinion). The separation for some colors (usually magenta or purple) may be visible when only the two outer LEDs are lit. Color convergence for LCD is better where the position of the red, green, blue pixels is much closer than the LED emitters.

I do see the 2 modules, and the vertical seam.

Thanks for correcting me, my bad ColorDMD

2 months later
#658 4 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I'm considering an DMDColor LCD for my Ghost Busters Premium, and then I realized the LCD top part sticking up into the back glass will very likely cast a shadow on the backglass-art making dark patch. Anyone who's using DMDColor LCD on a Ghostbusters or maybe any Spike machine, Could you please comment ?[quoted image]

No issues with shadow, also get the gasket!

Ill try and garb a pic later, LCD dot XL FTW!!!

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Thanks! That's very helpful. The Spike machines have a small but "power of the sun" led set near the middle only. This may result in the light flooding around the LCD panel as indicated by @camcamaro1991 -- Any photos from LCD owners showing the backglass + LCD display would be great.

Sorry I slept since then... here you go!

LCD is plenty bright enough, LCD color shading is superior to LED.

you need the LCD ColorDMD kit, it includes the LCD, clear plexi, gasket, wiring harness for spike. SKU = GB-SHIELD

$423 http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-ghostbusters-pinball-machine/

&

$22 http://shop.colordmd.com/lcd-foam-gasket-stretch-fit/

so about $445ish

ColorDMD004 (resized).JPGColorDMD004 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#687 4 years ago
Quoted from HectorCM:

@goatdan I'm pulling the trigger for a LCD ColorDmd for my Metallica premium...should I also get the Gasket for glare? (As I read here is important for a game like Ghostbusters? Or is it not necessary?)
Thank you!!!

LCD's IMO pretty much require the gasket 100% unless you have wood (this is due to the gasket thickness). like the older SAM and Whitestar, the current kits dont allow for enough room and I believe a thinner gasket should be offered at 1/2 the thickness or more,

Gasket helps with dust off the back side of the clear lens, also longer spacers could fix the thickness issues or if your willing to slice it yourself which I would bet most folks dont have foam cutters/hotwire. I actually prefer the LCD to sit further back gives it a nice look with the added depth and reduces DMD reflection, even with HD glass as the angled dmd panels dont always fix the reflection.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I may break down and get one of these but I'm going to get a $2 sheet of foam at the craft store and cut one out myself.
$22 for a foam gasket? Jesus.
$24 for a clear piece of plastic and a couple bucks worth of spacers doesn't give you much faith in their pricing system either.
I don't mean to sound so negative but paying $450 (with shipping) for a small LCD screen doesn't thrill me.
I know they would say it's an odd size so you can't get them dirt cheap like other LCD screens, yadda yadda but the frugal side of me (read:cheap) simply rebels at this purchase
But where else can ya go? I get it.
----

IMO the 450 is better than buying LED esp... on newer Sterns. In the end it looks like OEM.
This is the 1 of 2 mods I can justifying this price, that and my Stern GB's topper.

1 year later
#832 2 years ago

After owning both LCD & LED, I have come to the conclusion.... either LCD & LED is better than original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 24.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider camcamaro1991.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=camcamaro1991 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.