pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexsmendes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 7 years ago

As it's my first I'm going with LED - it's US$ 30 cheaper!

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

After a bit of trial and error I was able to capture a pretty decent video of the LED display in SM - now running ROM 3.3. (Original run LED displays will have the product key erased when you load the Spiderman Chroma ROM onto it so capture that and the process to re-enter it before you do load it. Randy said this will not happen with new displays that are now shipping or with other ROMs). I had to under-expose the video to best capture the colors but it's still doesn't match the vibrancy the eye sees. I captured with with contrast at 3 and brightness at 4 which are the settings I thought looked best in person. I'll try to upload similar videos with the LCD display in both HiRes and Dots for comparison and link they here.
LED Display with 3.3 ROM: » YouTube video

Great! Looking forward for your next videos!

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

I have the LED panel in a twilight zone I'm doing for a friend. It looks fantastic! Very rich colors, and great contrast. Looking forward to getting an LED panel for Dr Who too.

Post some videos!

#112 7 years ago

Just ordered a LED unit for my SS...

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

So I got the LED installed in the TOTAN. I love it. It's darker and brighter. The reds and yellows are deeper. The dots are far apart - particularly when you compare it to hi-res mode on the LCD.
When you compare it to the orange DMD you are replacing it's much more consistent and closer to the original design.
I just brought home an AFM yesterday with a color LCD and I don't plan on replacing it but given the option to save $30 on the next title I will go with the LED again.

COOL!!!!

1 week later
#152 7 years ago

Installed the LED DMD on my SS... Super easy to install, I got it in a few minutes!

As most people are reporting, yes, it is super f*** bright!!! Now I got to find out how to tune it according to my taste... where do I get some instructions? Please, advise!

Also noticed that some transitions are not ok, especially when not at game-play, when I could pay more attention... sometimes a colored animation begins in white, and it takes a few time (less than a second), to turn into the proper color!

Anyway, this is my first colordmd and I'm happy with it.... Waiting for the updates on the rom to correct these minor transitions faults!

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There are four buttons on the back. Right most should be the menu button. Hit that until you see the settting you want. There are several levels that you can adjust. The other buttons are toggle up, toggle down, and save.
If you see uncolored frames, email colordmd the exact frames that you see (or a picture of the frame if possible) and colordmd will review and try to fix the issue. It would probably help to know which SS rom version you are using in case any frames changed during the rom versions. It sounds like you are seeing an issue in Attract mode (non-game mode).

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, there are 4 buttons on the back... I'll try to do it later...

The problem is on the transition of the frames and yes, I noticed that on the attract mode... It will be hard to take any pictures because it happens too fast, but I'll take a note and report to colordmd tech.

I'm surely running the latest SS ROM, now I can't remember which version it is...

#159 7 years ago

Here it is:

Sent an e-mail to Randy @ colordmd to report this issue. I'll report back as soon as I get some news!

BTW, set the brightness to lowest and contrast to maximum.... Looks way better now!

#160 7 years ago

OK - here's the reply I got rom Randy:

"Those fading transitions do not occur in a predictable way and cannot be reliably detected by the ColorDMD. They occur in many WPC games.

There are no current plans to update the SS ROM but we are continuing to improve and add features to the ColorDMD coloring engine. If we reach a point where we feel we can better handle or hide those transitions we will likely take another look at some of the earlier ROMs."

So, for now I'll keep the dmd on my SS, but I'm already thinking on moving it to another game of mine.... Creech? TZ? TAF? TotAN?... Which one the code is more mature? Oh, so many choices and not so much $$$!!!

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Transitions on essentially all of the WPC games are the same -- so the question is just which game has the least transitions that can't be detected.

I see.... since this is my first colordmd, I understand that the LCD versions basically have the same issue, correct?

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Does anyone have a ColorDMD for Ghostbusters? I will be getting this table next month and have been debating the ColorDMD for it, but not sure if I want LED or LCD...
Curious if anyone has any insight to this.

I don't think there's code for the GB pinball machine yet... Tho I nurse hopes for some SEGA games as well.... (SWT )

BTW, is this table that you're getting? It already got leds!

JF19435lg (resized).jpgJF19435lg (resized).jpg

1 week later
#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Went back and forth with trying an LED version, but opted to stick with the LCD model for BSD...
Jaz

Care to say why?

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Put LCD version of ColorDMD in about a month ago on SMVE. Been on the fence between LCD and LED but liked what I saw of the LCD version on various games at Expo in October.
The form-factor fits so much better than the LCD on newer Sterns. The LED fits right in where the DMD was not set back from the front of the display like the LCD version.
Super bright! The colors are saturated.
Not sold on keeping it though. No matter how I adjust it it seems some of the detail is missing.
I have the contrast turned way down (2/3 range out of 9) to get some of the darker features of the graphics but seems to make the overall image too dark. If I pump up the contrast above 3, the graphics seem to get washed out. I've tried every combo of brightness & contrast.
Finally settled on brightness in the 7/8/9 range and contrast in the 2/3 range. To get results I like.
Also put on a DMD glare film which seemed to help.
I'll try it out for a while longer, move it to another game, but I may be listing on pinside soon and swapping it for out the LCD version.
Like other's have said, pictures are hard to get right and don't do justice to seeing it in-person. Pictures also show some scan artifacts (brigher lines) that you don't see in person.

Your post got me confused... You're talking about the LED version, right?

#208 7 years ago

72ddb03706e3f32452a4f32eab4f4923 (resized).jpg72ddb03706e3f32452a4f32eab4f4923 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#232 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

the #2 looks cut off on your DMD (high score #2) and the zero in the actual score.

I also noticed that but I thought that maybe it was an animation going on....

1 week later
#243 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

your avatars says #1 not #2

OK, changed it... Better now?

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from gremlinuo:

One of the reasons that i chose the led is that I like the fit of the led unit. It feels more like a product that is designed as a dmd replacement and less like a hack.

+1

2 months later
#305 7 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of what the LED looks like when the game is turned off?
Am I correct in believing the LED "pixels" are somewhat white and visible?
... Altan

No, they're not!

4 weeks later
#326 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I'm sorry but dots mode (maybe this is 8-bit mode?) looks 100 x better to me:
» YouTube video

+1

1 month later
#359 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think this thread has settled it for me... Color LED is the way to go for my TZ. I like dots not blobs and LED sounds like it has the best dots with no blobs so its a win win for me.

I'm going with LED's for all my pins!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 16.00
$ 45.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 64.99
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexsmendes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=alexsmendes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.