pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#319 7 years ago

I just got my first LED disply for my CV today. I can't wait to install it and check it out. I've got 2 LCD displays in my AFM and MM. I want to compare them to see which way I'd like to go in the future.

Added over 7 years ago: Edit: I got the LED display put into my CV, and wow! It really pops. The colors are super bright and vivid. The dots look a little smaller than the original dots on the orange DMD I removed, but you really don't notice that much because they are nice and bright. These bright and vivid display colors work really well for the gaudy multi-colored circus theme of CV, but I'm torn on using it on other machines in my collection. I think I might prefer the slightly muted tones of the LCD panels for my other games, plus the ability to customize the display method (like choosing Dots XL) to my liking.

But Kudos to Color DMD for offering this choice. I once thought I'd never be able to shoehorn a full color display into the limited space of CV, but they made it possible, and it's awesome.

1 month later
#391 6 years ago

I have an LCD in my MM and AFM, and I have an LED for my CV as that was the only option. At first, I wasn't sure I liked the vibrant and brighter dots of the LED, but.. the more I got used to it, the better I like it. The colors just POP. Some colors just seem to glow. It's almost like a little screen of jewels, lol. After having the LED for a few months, I think I'm gonna stick with the LED on all my machines. The benefits that Damonator mentioned in post #383 are also nice.

1 month later
#436 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can you elaborate? I have an LED in my DW and it doesn't seem to have any dead space? What am I missing?

I think he's referring to the space between the individual LEDs on the LED panel as dead space. I believe the individual LEDs are slightly smaller than the individual dots on the original plasma DMD, and they're slightly smaller than the dots shown on the LCD panels. They're certainly smaller than the optional "Dots XL" display style that the LCD display can show.

I personally don't notice the dead space issue much, if at all, because the brightness of the LEDs seems to wash-out/minimize the visibility of this dead space, to my eyes at least. I suppose this might be due to the brightness settings of the LED panels I was viewing. I think it reasons that a LED panel with a brighter setting would have less noticeable dead space than a panel with a dim brightness setting.

7 months later
#512 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There is an artistic style to a DMD, but when it's "upscaled" it looks more like a poorly drawn cartoon.

I agree with you on that point, but I still like the DotsXL option of the LCD where you can make the dots just a little bit bigger than normal, and that's what I like using on all my games. I do have an LED in CV though, as that's all that will fit in there, and it's not a bad option at all, the colors really POP. I always say any ColorDMD, whether LCD (my preference) or LED, is better than an old school orange DMD.

4 months later
#545 5 years ago
Quoted from Johno75:

why are the LED's $30 cheaper than the LCD's?

I think that's simply due to the LED being less expensive (cheaper) to produce. I prefer the looks and optional display modes offered by the LCD. I have an LED in my CV as there are no other choices due to the oddball screen size required. The colors in the LED are more vibrant and really "POP", but it simply looks a little harsher to my eyes. That being said, I'd rather have an LED ColorDMD than no ColorDMD at all. So, despite my favoring the LCD, I could live with an LED.

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

This filter:

makes a world of difference!

Thanks. I'll check that out.

1 year later
#730 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep, LCD or bust!

Right. I've got one LED in my CV. I don't like the way it looks when on or off. I much prefer the LCDs in the rest of my machines, but hey, whatever works for this guy.

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I think it really is preference, and I've also heard that different games are better with one or the other. I don't think it's cut and dry that one is always better than the other.

ANY color is better than no color in my book, no matter what choice you make.

#734 3 years ago

Just go with the LED Codeman. You'll be happy with it.

#735 3 years ago

One other thing Codeman, if you ever changed your mind in the future, you can easily sell whatever ColorDMD you buy at close to what you paid for it. There's always a demand for either version.

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from Codeman00:

Is that correct?

I think that sums it up pretty well.

I wish you could visit the VFW Pinball Museum in Ann Arbor Michigan sometime. We have all Williams/Bally DMD games except Popeye (Sorry Popeye fans, LOL). We also have ColorDMDs in all of them, and pretty evenly split between LCD and LED. It gives you a great idea of how they look in various titles. Unfortunately this year our May event was postponed due to the pandemic.

#763 3 years ago

LOL, I forgot about Gilligan. In my defense, not hard to do

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 218.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 63.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=Rum-Z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.