pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeterG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Just ordered an LED for my TOTAN. I have an LCD in my STTNG so I am interested in seeing the difference side by side.
I'll post an update once I get it installed.

I like to see that, and hear your opinion on black level, fading, view angle etc.

I like the LCD for its modes, although I think I would only use Dots, Dotsxl and Tiles.
I like the LED for the formfactor (although you will not see that once build in) clarity and black levels.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm in the "depends on which game it's in" crowd. I think STTNG and MM look awesome in HiRes but i use DotsXL for SM. Now that the ROM is released I'm going to do a direct comparison with the LCD and LED is SM. My only complaint with the LCD version has been color reproduction of Red, the color gamut of the screen used limits it's capabilities and on titles like SM where a lot of red is used I think the LED version will shine. As far as contrast and brightness goes on the LCD panel, make sure you tweak these to the viewing angle in the game, maxing out the brightness makes the background look grey instead of black but the right combination produces a great experience.

Please post a picture/video of that as SM is my main title which will get a colorDMD treatment. Still wondering to go Led or LCD on this title.
DotXL vs Dots?

#92 7 years ago

That looks real good.

#99 7 years ago

Looks great, dots on LCD. Is there a difference between dots and dotsXL? Indeed this title needs color, only to know what you are looking at. I can see that LED seems brighter than the LCD. It looks more vivid.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

One other thing of note is that the LCD panel partially blocks the bottom row of LEDs on my backbox board in SM, it's minor but it is noticeable in attract mode (the backbox board dims during play).

That will be a SM VE then, as the original SM has no LED in the backbox but just a tube. Or do you have an other adjustment made yourself?

#110 7 years ago

Thanks for all the video's - finally we have a good comparison of all the modes. It was not yet out on the internet. I like the dotsXL mode. I can see what you mean with the screen being to large so it will block the bottom of the translite. I do not think that is a Led issue, I think that will also be the case with the original tube also, it is just te shadow of the light that falls on the translite. Maybe anyone else with a LCD in any Stern machine with a tube can confirm.

#125 7 years ago

I made my choice, LCD it is, I like the fact that you can control some parameters and have the various modes. Next to that, I am one of the few people that see the rainbow effect when colors are created using multiple led's. I see that with modern stage lights made of leds, I see that with DLP projectors, Ambilight from Philips TV's and am affraid I will see that with the LED screen too. So LCD, I just start saving to replace 6 pins with this option.......

1 week later
#153 7 years ago

Anyone installed the LCD on a Indiana Jones (WMS) with Jackpot light? Is that possible?

#192 7 years ago

I have the no glare filter on all my machines, great product, I can imagine the same effect with the color LED. With the LCD I do not think you need it, as it is less bright under certain viewing angles.

4 months later
#345 7 years ago

Do you need tobuy a specific cable set of is that included? I assume the wpc titles have the correct cable and the stern have also the correct cable included. Only when you swap between wpc and stern that will be a problem?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#372 6 years ago

Got led in two games, what is the best setting for brightness and contrast for a Spiderman and Tron?

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I left my SMVE at the default level - you should get a DMD Glare guard for it. the LED display is way brighter than the LCD display and the reflection on the playfield can be bad. the awesomeness of the display more than makes up for the glare.

I have a anti glare filter on all my pins. I like it so the brightness is not the problem. I now have contrast set on 5, higher is not good, images get washed out, i will play it a little more.

2 weeks later
#398 6 years ago

Is that red not just a red film like on many other machines? Otherwise maybe pinbits has a clear one for Williams.

1 month later
#427 6 years ago

I have led on all my machines and just added a dmd anti glare filter. Work perfect. Real nice. Personally I do not like the advanced options and format of the LCD. The LED is easy to install, fit is the same, brightness can be altered. Dots all the way

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I get the sense that most people choose LED because they don't like the large size of the LCD screen. The excess area is hidden, but I think it still bothers many people.

You see that on a stern machine in the translite - there is a shadow, once you see it, you are drawn to it...

4 months later
#479 6 years ago

Anti Glare for stern, but they are out there for older machines.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212

Work great, have it on all my machines.

2 months later
#495 6 years ago

I have also led in them all. Just like the dots. Have glare filters on all. That way the brightness is great. Form factor and easy install is just great. CFTBL, IJ, POTC, SM, Tron all look great waiting on GB.

1 month later
#509 6 years ago

I have LED on all my machines, never liked the upscaling, hi-res options, not the form factor and the grey look of the blacks. The LED just pops, yes I use anti glare filters on all, no money is not the issue. Just my preference.

4 months later
#541 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I didn't like mine until I put on the Comet glare guard and did a bunch of messing with the settings.

Agree, get the glareguard and get the settings right. Brightness all full, contrast you can play a bit to you see what details you will get. I am an led guy all the way. Love them, do not like the lcd, form factor, grey areas and other formats do not do it for me. Dots all the way. Do not take it too personal if you disagree

3 years later
#830 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

LCD DOTSXL is the only way to go. The LED is harsh on the eyes and very pinpointed specs of light

TastyLikelyBunting-size_restricted (resized).pngTastyLikelyBunting-size_restricted (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
$ 45.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 85.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
$ 63.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeterG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=PeterG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.