2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpeg
pic 2 (resized).jpg
pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 18.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Can someone post the different modes for the LCD display? Thinking about getting one for my ToM and trying to decided between LED and LCD.

No need. I'll decide for you. LCD looks great!

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

No need. I'll decide for you. LCD looks great!

The LED colors are substantially more bright and vibrant than LCD. If you prefer the look of dots, get the LED.

If you like smoothing, you must get the LCD. Colors are washed out though.

The videos never capture how beautiful the LED colors are in real life. (I've got both LCD and LED.)

#353 6 years ago

The one thing I noticed about the LED's is you can visibly see the RGB separation in the individual bulbs with certain hues. In my WhiteWater I don't see them at all, but the purples in TOM definitely do it a bit... Will probably swap between my Tron, which has the LCD and TOM... although I LOVE the square pixel grid in Tron. You really can't lose, both look fantastic!

#354 6 years ago

Looking to trade two of my ColorDMD's for 2 ColorLED's. 1 trade. Can bring to Allentown show. Located in North NJ.

#355 6 years ago

I put the ColorDMD LED in my RBION. Looks fantastic!

IMG_4502 (resized).JPGIMG_4502 (resized).JPG

IMG_4504 (resized).JPGIMG_4504 (resized).JPG

IMG_4505 (resized).JPGIMG_4505 (resized).JPG

IMG_4507 (resized).JPGIMG_4507 (resized).JPG

#356 6 years ago

LOTR LCD or LED?
Would like to here from people that have one in there games. Pros and cons.

#357 6 years ago

like my LCD with dots in LOTR - but have never seen color led in LOTR

#358 6 years ago

I think this thread has settled it for me... Color LED is the way to go for my TZ. I like dots not blobs and LED sounds like it has the best dots with no blobs so its a win win for me.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think this thread has settled it for me... Color LED is the way to go for my TZ. I like dots not blobs and LED sounds like it has the best dots with no blobs so its a win win for me.

I'm going with LED's for all my pins!

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

LOTR LCD or LED?
Would like to here from people that have one in there games. Pros and cons.

LED looks really impressive. The reds and oranges really pop and the golds almost shimmer.

Cons: need to turn the brightness way down to reduce reflection. Also, not quite as "smooth" looking as, for example, DotsXL, if you care about that sort of thing.

Been meaning to swap in the LCD from my other pin for months but just haven't gotten around to it because it's a minor hassle and, well, the LED looks really good. Though they are on different games, for what it's worth, wife and guests all think the LED looks better than my LCD.

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

LED looks really impressive. The reds and oranges really pop and the golds almost shimmer.
Cons: need to turn the brightness way down to reduce reflection. Also, not quite as "smooth" looking as, for example, DotsXL, if you care about that sort of thing.
Been meaning to swap in the LCD from my other pin for months but just haven't gotten around to it because it's a minor hassle and, well, the LED looks really good. Though they are on different games, for what it's worth, wife and guests all think the LED looks better than my LCD.

If you are worried about glare, I'd highly suggest getting some polarizing film (aka Glare Eliminator) to go over the dmd.

Like this:
http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

If you are worried about glare, I'd highly suggest getting some polarizing film (aka Glare Eliminator) to go over the dmd.
Like this:
http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

I use these plastic glareguards, work great, cheap, easy to install, can move them from machine to machine, and though they are obviously noticeable on the game, I don't even notice them anymore myself: http://cointaker.com/products/pinball-glare-guards

#363 6 years ago

I thought about a film, but I was fine with it after turning the brightness down to 2 or 3. Still looks quite bright at that setting but no glare issues.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I use these plastic glareguards, work great, cheap, easy to install, can move them from machine to machine, and though they are obviously noticeable on the game, I don't even notice them anymore myself: http://cointaker.com/products/pinball-glare-guards

Do you have picture of that on the game? Just curious how that version looks installed.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Do you have picture of that on the game? Just curious how that version looks installed.

Sure, here are a bunch.

IMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1160 (resized).JPGIMG_1160 (resized).JPGNote Dirty Donny's signature on the translight :)Note Dirty Donny's signature on the translight IMG_1166 (resized).JPGIMG_1166 (resized).JPG

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sure, here are a bunch.

Hehe, Thanks!

Obviously, functional but, I prefer the glare guard/eliminator; It just blends in better.

#367 6 years ago

I put LED in all my games (except the ones not available yet) and even changed out an LCD version I had before (first one I bought), LCD looks kind of grey with washed out colors, I also don't like the filled animations (between the dots).
The LED version fits like it should, looks like the original display but in color and looks way more vibrant.

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sure, here are a bunch.

These also have the added benefit of blocking the glare coming up from the playfield lights up onto the color display. Very important for games with spotlights.

#369 6 years ago

So what is everyone doing with their LCDs if they are replacing them now with LEDs?

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

These also have the added benefit of blocking the glare coming up from the playfield lights up onto the color display. Very important for games with spotlights.

Yes, this is an important benefit. You can see it in one of the pics I posted clearly blocking a substantial amount of glare from hitting the led display.

#371 6 years ago

As my AC/DC DMD flaked out recently (vertical line always on through the middle area), I had an excuse to go the color route.

Picked up the LED version, and zero regrets. Dots are slightly smaller, but you get used to it very quickly, and they are very bright and vibrant. The images you see posted do not do it justice. Having seen the LCD version several times through the years, across several pins, I think I'd go the LED route with most pins. It's going to be hard to fight the urge to colorize everything - it really makes the DMD graphics pop and adds freshness to the game!

#372 6 years ago

Got led in two games, what is the best setting for brightness and contrast for a Spiderman and Tron?

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Got led in two games, what is the best setting for brightness and contrast for a Spiderman and Tron?

I left my SMVE at the default level - you should get a DMD Glare guard for it. the LED display is way brighter than the LCD display and the reflection on the playfield can be bad. the awesomeness of the display more than makes up for the glare.

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I left my SMVE at the default level - you should get a DMD Glare guard for it. the LED display is way brighter than the LCD display and the reflection on the playfield can be bad. the awesomeness of the display more than makes up for the glare.

I have a anti glare filter on all my pins. I like it so the brightness is not the problem. I now have contrast set on 5, higher is not good, images get washed out, i will play it a little more.

#375 6 years ago

Decided to try a color LED after being very happy with my first two color LCDs.

Unfortunately, the display arrived with two broken pixels, one on each half of the display. Hoping Randy will make it right, but a very disappointing first experience with the LED version.

I'd recommend if you have the LED version to go into DMD test and confirm that you don't have any bad pixels. It can be very hard to tell during normal gameplay.

#376 6 years ago

I just installed the LCD color dmd in my metallica. Is there a way to adjust horizontal size? I was only able to move it vertically. Seems like it doesnt take up the full screen.

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Decided to try a color LED after being very happy with my first two color LCDs.
Unfortunately, the display arrived with two broken pixels, one on each half of the display. Hoping Randy will make it right, but a very disappointing first experience with the LED version.
I'd recommend if you have the LED version to go into DMD test and confirm that you don't have any bad pixels. It can be very hard to tell during normal gameplay.

How do you go into DMD test?

#378 6 years ago

This may have been asked in the thread but how is the glare on the playfield glass with LED?

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This may have been asked in the thread but how is the glare on the playfield glass with LED?

It depends on the game and how the panel is angled. It's not that much worse than the LCD... I recently installed bent plastic on all my machines so for like $7 a pop you can make it completely vanish.

#380 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led/page/8#post-3738925

#381 6 years ago

I use a DMD Filter on standard DMDs and it works wonders, I never bothered on a LCD Color DMD because there is so little glare. I guess worse case is you use a filter on the LED version. Thanks guys

#382 6 years ago

I put a ColorDMD (LED) in my Road Show yesterday, the color animations are fantastic as that game has A LOT.

I'll try to get some video this weekend to share.

I was completely thrown off as i didn't realize i had ordered the LED version and I was expecting it to look like my MMr (factory LCD). It's growing on me though as the colors really pop. I do like the "dotsXL" display on MMr, it's not actually that as it's not a ColorDMD, but that's the closest way to explain it (minus the HD graphics).

#383 6 years ago

I sold off all my ColorDMD LCDs and went 100% LED. Here's why I like the LED better:

1) cheaper
2) uses less power (very important with multiple mods)
3) colors are more vibrant and brighter
4) plug and play (I can keep my TAF light board, not cut my TFTC speaker panel, only option for CV)
5) no dark shadow at the bottom of my Stern translights
6) no ugly bezel showing at the sides of my WPC95 games

I tried keeping a mix of the LEDs and LCDs for a while, but after you see the LED in a game, the LCDs just look washed out. Even my wife noticed a big difference and she doesn't notice much about pinball (a blessing and a curse).

#384 6 years ago

So regardless of the washed colors, you prefer the dots over the smooth LCD display?

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

So regardless of the washed colors, you prefer the dots over the smooth LCD display?

If you are asking about HiRes smoothing, yes I prefer the dots. The only HiRes I've seen that I liked better than dots was TSPP. HiRes with everything else looks clunky to me.

#386 6 years ago

Yeah i don't care for the HiRes. But dotsXL is pretty sharp... That would be the one i'd question whether that's better than the LED display.

#387 6 years ago

Plus one for the Led display.

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Yeah i don't care for the HiRes. But dotsXL is pretty sharp... That would be the one i'd question whether that's better than the LED display.

I do like dotsXL, but not near enough to overcome the other factors I mentioned.

#389 6 years ago

Had an LED in LotR and an LCD in WH2O for awhile, then switched them. I'm not 100% sure yet, but very strongly leaning toward replacing the LCD with another LED. Colors are just better with the LED. Everyone who sees both prefers it. The only thing i really like better about the LCD is i love the "8-bit" look that dotsXL gives and it does seem a bit smoother on animation/transitions. That said, the LED just seems nicer looking overall.

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

How do you go into DMD test?

Just use the regular settings/menu for the pinball machine and search for the test (buttons inside coin door).

#391 6 years ago

I have an LCD in my MM and AFM, and I have an LED for my CV as that was the only option. At first, I wasn't sure I liked the vibrant and brighter dots of the LED, but.. the more I got used to it, the better I like it. The colors just POP. Some colors just seem to glow. It's almost like a little screen of jewels, lol. After having the LED for a few months, I think I'm gonna stick with the LED on all my machines. The benefits that Damonator mentioned in post #383 are also nice.

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Just use the regular settings/menu for the pinball machine and search for the test (buttons inside coin door).

Dur

#393 6 years ago

Any resellers have the LED display in stock? ColorDMD has been out for a while now...

#394 6 years ago

I would be glad to purchase aNY newer LCD Sam and LCD spike
Specifically Metallica if available.
Send me a PM and date of purchase .

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from NonStopSwagger:

Any resellers have the LED display in stock? ColorDMD has been out for a while now...

I ordered mine from Ministry of Pinball, they have several LED ones in stock. Took a little over a week to get here (states).

#396 6 years ago

I put the LED version in my Doctor Who. It just felt right and looks great! And with the obvious side benefit of not having to modify the light board below the display.

1 week later
#397 6 years ago

I just bought a ColorDMD for my BSD and the DMD is outgassing so I really had no choice. All my friends have an LCD screen and while I like the Hi-Res graphics on say an Iron Man, I think dots are the way to go for older titles.

So I know the red tint will interfere with the color screen. Can I just get a knife and cut out the tinted window rather than buying a replacement speaker panel with a clear screen?

#398 6 years ago

Is that red not just a red film like on many other machines? Otherwise maybe pinbits has a clear one for Williams.

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

I just bought a ColorDMD for my BSD and the DMD is outgassing so I really had no choice. All my friends have an LCD screen and while I like the Hi-Res graphics on say an Iron Man, I think dots are the way to go for older titles.
So I know the red tint will interfere with the color screen. Can I just get a knife and cut out the tinted window rather than buying a replacement speaker panel with a clear screen?

I would advise against cutting it out. Some people talked about using a chemical to get the red film off the speaker panel insert. I need to find out what it is that was used. Hopefully, someone will beat me to it and post about it.

#400 6 years ago

Like this ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led/page/8?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.