1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 535 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 67 days ago by Draegermeister
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2857 (resized).JPG
IMG_2859 (resized).JPG
IMG_2862 (resized).JPG
IMG_2864 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
IMG_1160 (resized).JPG
IMG_1165 (resized).JPG
IMG_1166 (resized).JPG
IMG_1158 (resized).JPG
IMG_4507 (resized).JPG
IMG_4505 (resized).JPG
IMG_4504 (resized).JPG
IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
IMG_2535 (resized).JPG
IMG_2533 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
#251 1 year ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

So anyone got a film to go over an LED that they really think helps? And a pointer on where to buy?
I've had ColorDMD in a bunch of games and I'm sure I've just gotten used to it, but so far I like it better by a tad than the LED I just put in my TronLE. That's based on purely comparing the look of the display itself (usually like XL mode on the ColorDMD). The LED now seems a tad harsh to me, even playing with contrast and brightness. I feel like a physical diffuser might help.
But I'm going to keep the LED in the TronLE *and* convert a colorDMD in my Metallica to LED because of the form factor. I have animated backbox kits in both machines and the LCD creates a shadow on the bottom 3/4" of the back glass that's very obvious. It's a bit smaller and a LOT less obvious on IronMan simply because of the backglass art, so I'm leaving that one DMD.
But on my other Bally/Williams games where the backbox art isn't compromised, I'll be staying DMD.
--Donnie

I used the anti-glare film from comet on my ColorDMD LED on SMVE. I imagine the one from pinball life would work just as well. Helps cut some of the LED intensity and I can play without the bent plastic.

#252 1 year ago

I have an LED on SS and love it. The regular ColorDMD in AFM next to it looks a little bland in comparison. Overall I think I prefer the LED version in my limited experience.

#253 1 year ago

Installed a ColorDMD LED display into Tommy just in time for the holidays! I prefer keeping the original dots intact and the vivid colors are really impressive. I was worried about losing some of the detail and shading in the dot art, but setting the contrast lower looks just right. Installation was easy and straightforward, just had to remove the bottom center screw post (which I don't think the instructions mentioned). Happy holidays, everyone! Silver bells and silver balls all around!

IMG_8461 (resized).JPG

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I'm sure it's been covered- but do the new LEDs use less power than the LCD (or the same?)-- I've been hedging on adding to my STTNG that's running a blue XPin LED that works great....I've read about STTNG resets with the LCD so I returned mine before I installed it.
I'm running color LCDs in TOM, TZ with no issues.....
Anyone have any input? - or an LED they don't like? I may be buyin' !

Randy said earlier in this thread that the LED product uses *less* power than the LCD. I was surprised by that, but I'll take Randy's word for it, certainly. That said, I really doubt there's anything special about STTNG on the power side...if people are getting resets with the LCD product they'd likely get them with the LED one, too. They likely simply need to update their power supply components, notably the bridge rectifiers and possibly power plugs and pins, with other possibilities existing as well. Resets on WMS games can be from a multitude of things and it isn't surprising that putting a slightly larger load on the system can exacerbate it, but you likely had a system going south anyway if that put you over the top.

--Donnie

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

I used the anti-glare film from comet on my ColorDMD LED on SMVE. I imagine the one from pinball life would work just as well. Helps cut some of the LED intensity and I can play without the bent plastic.

Thanks. Ordered one to try.

--Donnie

#256 1 year ago

Resets when installing a ColorDMD are rare.

#257 1 year ago

I've just added my 4th and have two of each now. LED: TOTAN & CV LCD: TAF & IJ

I'm preferring the look of LED's but will likely use the LCD's in my AC/DC and MET as I prefer the upscaling looks on them.

On a side note: what is needed to install my existing LCD's into my Sterns? Will be getting LED's to replace my TAF and IJ.

IMG_3687 (resized).JPG

IMG_3688 (resized).JPG

IMG_3689 (resized).JPG

IMG_3516 (resized).JPG

IMG_3683 (resized).JPG

#258 1 year ago

I got a LCD for xmas... I'm actually hesitating installing it because I am tempted to get a LED instead... The look on tron impressed me that much. Anyone got video of LED in LOTR?

#259 1 year ago

I got the LED version for my TRON for Xmas I really like it.
I moved my LCD version to AC/DC. LED all the way for TRON.

#260 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I've just added my 4th and have two of each now. LED: TOTAN & CV LCD: TAF & IJ
I'm preferring the look of LED's but will likely use the LCD's in my AC/DC and MET as I prefer the upscaling looks on them.
On a side note: what is needed to install my existing LCD's into my Sterns? Will be getting LED's to replace my TAF and IJ.

Not sure if TAF, IJ and TOTAN are important games or not, but you show the same picture 3 times. I would had thought you would had included pictures of your AC/DC and MET in one of those pictures.

You would need a Sam/Whitestar cable kit for both machines.

In addition to the power adapter, if your MET is the new slanted metal backbox, then you'll need the Pinbits Clear Shield and Mounting Standoffs for New Stern Cabinets, which will get rid of the red display shield in front of the DMD.

http://shop.colordmd.com/accessories/

If AC/DC has a red shield as well, you need a clear one for it too.

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

what is needed to install my existing LCD's into my Stern's

I think the Stern's specifically the older SAM wooden speaker panel games need a different mounting bracket. They can be mounted using the existing bracket but the screw holes don't line up and some adaptations need to be made to make it work. I think the Stern mounting bracket is on the ColorDMD website along with the cable kit...

Phoebe

#262 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Not sure if TAF, IJ and TOTAN are important games or not, but you show the same picture 3 times. I would had thought you would had included pictures of your AC/DC and MET in one of those pictures.
You would need a Sam/Whitestar cable kit for both machines.
In addition to the power adapter, if your MET is the new slanted metal backbox, then you'll need the Pinbits Clear Shield and Mounting Standoffs for New Stern Cabinets, which will get rid of the red display shield in front of the DMD.
If AC/DC has a red shield as well, you need a clear one for it too.

The pictures were unfortunately the only ones showing the color differences but not really noticeable. I had three as they were showing three different screens at the time.

Thank you to you and Phoebe as that answers my questions!

#263 1 year ago

dmacy, how long ago did you purchase 2 LCD ColorDMDs? Do you see a Rev on the board? That can might show if the LCD mounting bracket is the latest one.

I have a LCD in my Stern IJ and I didn't need to modify that mounting bracket. I'll try and get a picture of it later today so we can see how many mounting holes are in this mounting bracket.

#264 1 year ago

Is there any issue with an LCD DMD when the Jackpot board has been fitted into an IJ?

Capture (resized).JPG

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

Is there any issue with an LCD DMD when the Jackpot board has been fitted into an IJ?

It was on mine. I have the Marco board they sell and needed to space the display to clear that board. Not much, but 1/2" or so. I'll take pics next week when I get my LCD for it. I took some plastic "L" trim I had to block the light from escaping.

#266 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

dmacy, how long ago did you purchase 2 LCD ColorDMDs? Do you see a Rev on the board? That can might show if the LCD mounting bracket is the latest one.
I have a LCD in my Stern IJ and I didn't need to modify that mounting bracket. I'll try and get a picture of it later today so we can see how many mounting holes are in this mounting bracket.

The one in TAF was early 2013 maybe? The IJ was September 2015. I only needed to to clear the jackpot board to space the display away. So you have that jackpot light board in yours?

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

The one in TAF was early 2013 maybe? The IJ was September 2015. I only needed to to clear the jackpot board to space the display away. So you have that jackpot light board in yours?

No. I do not have a jackpot light board in my Williams IJ. Haven't given it any thought. My LCD ColorDMD is sitting low as possible in the speaker panel so that I can still open the lamp board without removing the speaker panel first.

#268 1 year ago

Ok that is why. The jackpot board will need some room so it needs spaced away. Mine is also in the lowest setting.

#269 1 year ago

I have only seen one LED, on IJ. I have LCDs in Tron, LOTR, TSPP. The Tron and TSPP are amazing. LOTR is just OK.

I found the LED to have way too much glare. The LCD on HIRES looks better to me. I do appreciate the clean install of the LED, but I have no love for dots. Dot matrix...really? That's just not a 2016 technology.

LCD all the way. Looking forward to more of the true LCD era.

#270 1 year ago

I've got an LCD in my Monster Bash (love it), and I just received an LED today that I'm going to put in my TAF as soon as it arrives. I'm looking forward to seeing how the two compare.

#271 1 year ago

dmacy, back on post #263, I am referring to my Stern IJ that I have the LCD ColorDMD in. I'll take a picture of the mounting bracket in it so you can tell if your 2 LCD's have the right bracket so can be used in your AC/DC and MET. Stern IJ should be the same fit as in AC/DC since both have the wood speaker panels.

#272 1 year ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

That one works fine. The thicker ones won't.

#273 1 year ago

Saw several of the LED type displays on location and not a huge fan. Too bright, too much bling, dots only and doesn't go with the machine I was playing. I'll stick with LCD IF I even get another.

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Saw several of the LED type displays on location and not a huge fan. Too bright, too much bling, dots only and doesn't go with the machine I was playing. I'll stick with LCD IF I even get another.

How did it not go with it? If it's color, it goes with it.

#275 1 year ago

For me, the display just seemed too bright. Didn't go with the rest of the game in that the playfield and inserts were not as bright, more of a retro feel and the display was opposite. It's just my opinion of course but the LED display may go better with a newer title that has a lot of lighting effects such as GB or MET.

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

For me, the display just seemed too bright. Didn't go with the rest of the game in that the playfield and inserts were not as bright, more of a retro feel and the display was opposite. It's just my opinion of course but the LED display may go better with a newer title that has a lot of lighting effects such as GB or MET.

Gotcha - look, I like both styles of display - but IMO the LED actually looks more retro since Orange DMDs are extremely bright. LED ColorDMD has that "real DMD" look (but color).

#277 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

It was on mine. I have the Marco board they sell and needed to space the display to clear that board. Not much, but 1/2" or so. I'll take pics next week when I get my LCD for it. I took some plastic "L" trim I had to block the light from escaping.

Here's some pics I took today with the LCD needing spaced and my plastic "L" trim. It works fine and I never bothered to paint the trim black but I don't care for the set back look of the display.

The spacing from the jackpot board is 1/4" or so. The easier solution would have been to put shorter spacers in the jackpot board...

IMG_3692 (resized).JPG
IMG_3693 (resized).JPG

#278 1 year ago

I'm completely happy with the lcd.

20161231_173205 (resized).jpg

20161231_173039 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#279 1 year ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I've got an LCD in my Monster Bash (love it), and I just received an LED today that I'm going to put in my TAF as soon as it arrives. I'm looking forward to seeing how the two compare.

Putting the LED display in TAF means you keep the THING light board in place?

The Thing light board gives more brightness than using an LCD display?

Is this correct?

#280 1 year ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Putting the LED display in TAF means you keep the THING light board in place?
The Thing light board gives more brightness than using an LCD display?
Is this correct?

You use the original lamp board for both LCD and LED. LCD sticks up above the speaker panel so you'll need to lower the speaker panel before opening/closing the backbox door.

1 week later
#281 1 year ago

Has anyone seen LED and LCD on ST TNG. Any thoughts on what you liked more?

#282 1 year ago

Just installed ColorDMD LED displays in TAF and NGG today.Thanks again Randy for the quick shipping to Australia.

All 7 machines are now colored. 4 LCD and 3 LED.I don't know which I like better of the two.

Glare guards are a must with LED displays. A piece of something 16 inch by 5 inch with a 45 degree 1 inch bend.Spray black and install,easy.

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Has anyone seen LED and LCD on ST TNG. Any thoughts on what you liked more?

I've never seen the LED in it but this is one game where the HiRes smoothing / upscaling mode looks REALLY good so I would recommend the LCD personally.

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Just installed ColorDMD LED displays in TAF and NGG today.Thanks again Randy for the quick shipping to Australia.
All 7 machines are now colored. 4 LCD and 3 LED.I don't know which I like better of the two.
Glare guards are a must with LED displays. A piece of something 16 inch by 5 inch with a 45 degree 1 inch bend.Spray black and install,easy.

How does the LED display look in TAF? My TAF is scheduled to be delivered between 10am-12pm Monday... so I should have my LED display installed by about 12:30.

#285 1 year ago

How does the LED display look in TAF?

Very happy with the LED display in TAF other than the prominent glare/reflection it gives off.Must have a glare guard. My first LED was Cv for obvious reasons. I just like the sharp vibrant colors and had to keep going with Led displays to finish off the coloring.

I have a TAF gold rom there that I'll have to try out.Cousin It's gold watch etc..

#286 1 year ago

so I should have my LED display installed by about 12:30.

How is it Dave?

#287 1 year ago

I have the color dmd instaled in my Mediëval castle and its great, but iI hope for a new hi res system in the future.
something Like MMR.

New animated graphics made by a artist and converts the pages on the display rom.
lets say a color dmd 3.0.

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

How is it Dave?

It's awesome! The LED display is more vibrant than the LCD, and pops more. Now that I've got one of each, I know which way I'm going with Scared Stiff: LED.

IMG_0772 (resized).JPG

IMG_0781 (resized).JPG

#289 1 year ago

It's awesome! The LED display is more vibrant than the LCD, and pops more. Now that I've got one of each, I know which way I'm going with Scared Stiff: LED.

Why single color?

#290 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Why single color?

It's not. It just happened to be on that color in each photo. Haha.

#292 1 year ago

I put a LCD ColorDMD into my TZ and really like it.

#293 1 year ago

Can someone please tell me? If I buy an LCD and an LED color DM display, can I swap and change them into different machines to see which one I like best? TIA

#294 1 year ago
Quoted from toeskneez:

Can someone please tell me? If I buy an LCD and an LED color DM display, can I swap and change them into different machines to see which one I like best? TIA

Yep. Easy to swap around. That is the beauty of the display. Displays come with one power cable adapter, which you pick between Bally/Williams or Stern/Sam/Whitestar. As long as you got the right power cable, then you just load up the new color ROM for the game the display is installed.

#295 1 year ago

Just to clarify:
I have a sample Williams IJ with the factory jackpot lighting board installed.
If I decide to buy and install the color LED display, since it's a regular sized display, can it just fit above that jackpot lighting board without having to do any further spacing or modifications?
Thanks for clarifying.
I currently have the Color LCD in my MB, TAFG and MET; and think they all look awesome. This would be my first LED.

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from toeskneez:

If you're able,go ahead and get one of each. A list B/W titles like TAF and TZ deserve it.

You can always get something back for your orange displays.

As they say here,deal with confidence.

#297 1 year ago

I have two LCD's and just bought an LED for HS2. I had a party over the weekend and asked others what they thought of the LED display. Most thought that the colors were brighter, which they are, and the black is nice and black. I personally prefer the LCD larger dots myself. If there was a way to get an LED display with larger dots, I think that would be really nice. The dots on the LED look smaller than the DMD games on either side of it.

#298 1 year ago

A local collector here has a Spiderman Vault with an LED ColorDMD. It is a fantastic fit for the art of the DMD and the game. I personally love the LED look much better, I don't really like the scaling modes and the LEDs give much better contrast.

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Looks like all the LEDs are sold out.

And production of more is stalled by Chinese New Year break for a few weeks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernal, UT
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Oak Creek, WI
$ 989.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside