By goatdan

1 year ago

Stats

• 489 posts
  • 182 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 weeks ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2857 (resized).JPG
IMG_2859 (resized).JPG
IMG_2862 (resized).JPG
IMG_2864 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
IMG_1160 (resized).JPG
IMG_1165 (resized).JPG
IMG_1166 (resized).JPG
IMG_1158 (resized).JPG
IMG_4507 (resized).JPG
IMG_4505 (resized).JPG
IMG_4504 (resized).JPG
IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
IMG_2535 (resized).JPG
IMG_2533 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 489 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 1 year ago

Double post.

#152 1 year ago

Installed the LED DMD on my SS... Super easy to install, I got it in a few minutes!

As most people are reporting, yes, it is super f*** bright!!! Now I got to find out how to tune it according to my taste... where do I get some instructions? Please, advise!

Also noticed that some transitions are not ok, especially when not at game-play, when I could pay more attention... sometimes a colored animation begins in white, and it takes a few time (less than a second), to turn into the proper color!

Anyway, this is my first colordmd and I'm happy with it.... Waiting for the updates on the rom to correct these minor transitions faults!

#153 1 year ago

Anyone installed the LCD on a Indiana Jones (WMS) with Jackpot light? Is that possible?

#154 1 year ago

I like the looks of LED in Cirqus Voltaire. Not sure it would look as good in TSPP, or Creature, though.....

#155 1 year ago

There are four buttons on the back. Right most should be the menu button. Hit that until you see the settting you want. There are several levels that you can adjust. The other buttons are toggle up, toggle down, and save.

If you see uncolored frames, email colordmd the exact frames that you see (or a picture of the frame if possible) and colordmd will review and try to fix the issue. It would probably help to know which SS rom version you are using in case any frames changed during the rom versions. It sounds like you are seeing an issue in Attract mode (non-game mode).

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Installed the LED DMD on my SS... Super easy to install, I got it in a few minutes!
As most people are reporting, yes, it is super f*** bright!!! Now I got to find out how to tune it according to my taste... where do I get some instructions? Please, advise!
Also noticed that some transitions are not ok, especially when not at game-play, when I could pay more attention... sometimes a colored animation begins in white, and it takes a few time (less than a second), to turn into the proper color!
Anyway, this is my first colordmd and I'm happy with it.... Waiting for the updates on the rom to correct these minor transitions faults!

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There are four buttons on the back. Right most should be the menu button. Hit that until you see the settting you want. There are several levels that you can adjust. The other buttons are toggle up, toggle down, and save.
If you see uncolored frames, email colordmd the exact frames that you see (or a picture of the frame if possible) and colordmd will review and try to fix the issue. It would probably help to know which SS rom version you are using in case any frames changed during the rom versions. It sounds like you are seeing an issue in Attract mode (non-game mode).

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, there are 4 buttons on the back... I'll try to do it later...

The problem is on the transition of the frames and yes, I noticed that on the attract mode... It will be hard to take any pictures because it happens too fast, but I'll take a note and report to colordmd tech.

I'm surely running the latest SS ROM, now I can't remember which version it is...

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm surely running the latest SS ROM, now I can't remember which version it is...

You will see it when you turn on the game.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hey, thanks for the reply!
Yeah, there are 4 buttons on the back... I'll try to do it later...
The problem is on the transition of the frames and yes, I noticed that on the attract mode... It will be hard to take any pictures because it happens too fast, but I'll take a note and report to colordmd tech.

Transitions (crossfades, wipes, etc) on WPC games are hard to detect and color because very often they don't render full normal frames while they're happening. So during those, if there's no recognizable frames, the display falls back to the 'default' color for the rom.

#159 1 year ago

Here it is:

» YouTube video

Sent an e-mail to Randy @ colordmd to report this issue. I'll report back as soon as I get some news!

BTW, set the brightness to lowest and contrast to maximum.... Looks way better now!

#160 1 year ago

OK - here's the reply I got rom Randy:

"Those fading transitions do not occur in a predictable way and cannot be reliably detected by the ColorDMD. They occur in many WPC games.

There are no current plans to update the SS ROM but we are continuing to improve and add features to the ColorDMD coloring engine. If we reach a point where we feel we can better handle or hide those transitions we will likely take another look at some of the earlier ROMs."

So, for now I'll keep the dmd on my SS, but I'm already thinking on moving it to another game of mine.... Creech? TZ? TAF? TotAN?... Which one the code is more mature? Oh, so many choices and not so much $$$!!!

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Which one the code is more mature? Oh, so many choices and not so much $$$!!!

Transitions on essentially all of the WPC games are the same -- so the question is just which game has the least transitions that can't be detected.

#162 1 year ago

Does anyone have a ColorDMD for Ghostbusters? I will be getting this table next month and have been debating the ColorDMD for it, but not sure if I want LED or LCD...

Curious if anyone has any insight to this.

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Transitions on essentially all of the WPC games are the same -- so the question is just which game has the least transitions that can't be detected.

I see.... since this is my first colordmd, I understand that the LCD versions basically have the same issue, correct?

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Does anyone have a ColorDMD for Ghostbusters? I will be getting this table next month and have been debating the ColorDMD for it, but not sure if I want LED or LCD...

I don't think there's code for the GB pinball machine yet... Tho I nurse hopes for some SEGA games as well.... (SWT )

BTW, is this table that you're getting? It already got leds!

JF19435lg (resized).jpg

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I see.... since this is my first colordmd, I understand that the LCD versions basically have the same issue, correct?

I'll fire SS up this evening and check it with the LCD version that's installed. I don't seem to remember the white transition happening that much on mine but I could be wrong.

I'll report back tonight.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yeah, it's not a screen issue, it's a colordmd processing issue -- so it occurs on both versions.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I don't think there's code for the GB pinball machine yet... Tho I nurse hopes for some SEGA games as well.... (SWT )
BTW, is this table that you're getting? It already got leds!

Hahaha!

Correct, the DMD's do not have GB coding yet, but I played one last weekend and I was not impressed with the dots on the stock display.
What screen has Dots xl? I saw that spiderman video and that looked great.

Also, with new sterns, would I need to also order the Pinbits clear shield with this?

Thanks.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

There has been one or 2 people who put in a ColorDMD into their GB. Since the game has not been colorized, you can still take advantage of all the options that the single color Sigma has to offer, including your choice of any single color you want the display to be. Light green would look good.

#169 1 year ago

The spike games use all 16 levels of brightness for shading (rather than the 12 SAM used), so, IMHO, it would look best on the LCD because it can represent those shades without shrinking the points of light. On the LED display, the dimmer the light gets, the smaller the point of light is.

#170 1 year ago

DERP. Sorry

#171 1 year ago

Thanks.

Do you know if I would need the Pinbits Clear Shield accessory with this?

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thanks.
Do you know if I would need the Pinbits Clear Shield accessory with this?

Yeah, any metal head backbox is the same deal. New clear window and standoffs needed.

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, any metal head backbox is the same deal. New clear window and standoffs needed.

Thanks. Wish there was a package price for this haha.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Hahaha!

What screen has Dots xl? I saw that spiderman video and that looked great.

Thanks.

DotsXL is available on the LCD ColorDMD on any game that's supported.

#175 1 year ago

I had an issue with the LED but I was able to resolve it with some help from Randy at ColorDMD. You can see from the photo that there was a line down the center. The display is made up of 2 panels that are held in place by the 8 silver screws on the back - 2 of those screws are underneath the control board.

After unscrewing the silver screws the panel drops down and I was able to access the small black screws that hold the panel to the housing.

I was able to tighten up the black screws and align the panels back together

20161118_105527 (resized).jpg

20161118_123907 (resized).jpg

20161118_150011 (resized).jpg

#176 1 year ago

Got color? Just installed my new LED ColorDMD. My scores will never be the same.POTC (resized).jpg

#177 1 year ago

I just swapped an LCD for an LED in my Indiana Jones and the results are even better than expected. I expected better color saturation, darker blacks, and higher overall brightness. I got all that to the max. It's almost too bright, but I like it - definitely have to adjust brightness setting to match game and room lighting. There are colors and details showing up in animations that I never saw before.

All in all it feels great in Indy and I highly recommend it over the LCD version. I am biased because I love dots and am not a fan of pixel smoothing modes.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I just swapped an LCD for an LED in my Indiana Jones and the results are even better than expected. I expected better color saturation, darker blacks, and higher overall brightness. I got all that to the max. It's almost too bright, but I like it - definitely have to adjust brightness setting to match game and room lighting. There are colors and details showing up in animations that I never saw before.
All in all it feels great in Indy and I highly recommend it over the LCD version. I am biased because I love dots and am not a fan of pixel smoothing modes.

Any chance of seeing it in action, as I am considering LCD vs LED for an IJ being restored.

#179 1 year ago

I know there is no coding for GB but has anyone put a led in one on just green or is lcd the way to go?

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

Any chance of seeing it in action, as I am considering LCD vs LED for an IJ being restored.

I'll try and capture some pics or video this weekend however the LEDs don't record very well because they are so bright. Definitely more impressive in person. I'd say if you want it to feel more "factory" then go LED. If you like pixel smoothing or are keeping the incandescent lighting then the LCD would be good choice since it's not overly bright.

I'm 100% happy I made the switch though!

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I'll try and capture some pics or video this weekend however the LEDs don't record very well because they are so bright. Definitely more impressive in person. I'd say if you want it to feel more "factory" then go LED. If you like pixel smoothing or are keeping the incandescent lighting then the LCD would be good choice since it's not overly bright.
I'm 100% happy I made the switch though!

Love the way they fit into the game as LCD is a bit clunky although you don't see that of course as hidden in game.

LED's are very bright - how dimmable are they in the settings?

#182 1 year ago

I just put the LED version in X-Men. Very impressed with the brightness and the colors. I had to turn the brightness down to 2. I do have a ColorDMD LCD on my Metallica. I think it's really a matter of preference depending on the theme of the game. I think most folks would be happy with either one.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Love the way they fit into the game as LCD is a bit clunky although you don't see that of course as hidden in game.
LED's are very bright - how dimmable are they in the settings?

1-9 for both brightness and contrast. Brightness is very noticeable and can be set pretty dim if needed.

#184 1 year ago

+

Quoted from FlippyD:

Thank you for posting this. I have been going back and forth on which version to order for IJ.

#185 1 year ago

Out of the box the LED display in my Spiderman was a bit too bright but it was easily adjusted. I think the LED version looks much better than the LCD and it fits better in the display panel.

#186 1 year ago

Has ColorDMD ever run any Black Friday sales in the past?

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

No.

#188 1 year ago

Has anyone ever tried the no glare film on the colordmd LED Version?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212

I had one on a red led display once and it drops the brightness quite a bit, and darkens the whole display area. Since it sounds like the colordmd led display has brightness to spare, this might be a way to help darken the "off" state, and help to blur the discrete elements into a single dot? I saw the LED Version at TPF and I preferred the LCD version for these reasons. If the no glare film fixes these, my opinion might change.

#189 1 year ago

+1 for Randy, he has helped many times. Nice guy...met him at Expo.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from caker137:

Has anyone ever tried the no glare film on the colordmd LED Version

I put a no glare film on my led color dmd and it's still nice and bright with no glare at all. The glare from the dmd without it was pretty bad.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

There was a "buy 3 get free shipping" thing once. Can't recall any really good sales.

#192 1 year ago

I have the no glare filter on all my machines, great product, I can imagine the same effect with the color LED. With the LCD I do not think you need it, as it is less bright under certain viewing angles.

#193 1 year ago

Does it help to resolve the separate appearance of the individual led element colors on a single pixel? Do they blur better into a single round dot?

Does it make the off state of the pixels appear black instead of white?

Quoted from BillySastard:

I put a no glare film on my led color dmd

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from caker137:

Does it make the off state of the pixels appear black instead of white?

White is still white.

Quoted from caker137:

Does it help to resolve the separate appearance of the individual led element colors on a single pixel? Do they blur better into a single round dot?

I really have no idea, I'm not that anal when looking at it. It stopped the glare and my LED ColorDMD looks awesome in my Family Guy.

#195 1 year ago

I've been experimenting with a number of different films. I finally found one I like, and just ordered enough to do several displays. I'll report back with photos once I have it installed.

From my testing with the samples, the one I've settled on does a nice job of increasing the contrast. The off pixels now look really black, which helps the brain do a better job of filling in the blanks. It does cut the brightness a fair bit, so I ratcheted it up to 9 to compensate. It really "takes the edge off" so the LEDs aren't quite as piercing. They're still bright and the colors are great (except white becomes a bit more grey). It also completely hides the ghosting.

Unfortunately, it does make the subpixel separation a bit worse since it's cutting the brightness enough that they don't blur together as much. I experimented with a few frosted films, and while they did help the subpixels fade together, they just made everything look blurry (like looking through a dirty window).

1 week later
#196 1 year ago

Went back and forth with trying an LED version, but opted to stick with the LCD model for BSD...

Jaz

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Went back and forth with trying an LED version, but opted to stick with the LCD model for BSD...
Jaz

Care to say why?

#198 1 year ago

I went LED and really like it! Keeps some nastalga but looks so much better.

The only thing Id like to see on it is if they could do a colour temperature adjustment. The LED panels whites are cool white, and lots of games Id like to run it in Id want to use warm white leds

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Care to say why?

Personal preference really. I saw the two side by side at Expo and each had their merits. I've got a lot of experience with the LCDs and the modes they support and feel it will look better on this game.

#200 1 year ago

They are both great.
However, and this may just be me. On the LED version I saw on an X-Men, the blues and to some extent the red appeared blurry to my eye. Almost as it were creating a halo effect around the object or score.
I do not see this on the LCD version.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 22.00
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 989.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
£ 15.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Wanted
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
£ 80.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 489 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside