2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpeg
pic 2 (resized).jpg
pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
#801 3 years ago

LCD is installed on my WPT. It's tough not to have the best of both worlds. I use the Style setting. I personally like the full animation vs the dots...it looks good to me. I hate that it can't be as bright as the LED but at least it's clear and the animations look normal now. Of course I've had to turn the contrast and brightness up to 9 and now my blacks are gray because of it just so I can have some kind of brightness. I'm going to play it for a week or so but honestly i think I like it better than the LED double image dots. However, one of the lights on the playfield now reflect off of the LCD screen and bother me a because the LCD isn't bright enough.

Time will tell I guess.

#802 3 years ago

Awesome man. Glad you’re getting clarity on what you like. Again, people seem to think those stern models do very well with the smoothing.

And with the glare of the PF, you may never get it perfect. I will say that the LeD reflected off the PF glass a lot, but a glare guard plastic under the DMD panel blocks it completely both ways, but you gotta live with the plastic, which mentally disappears over time, and of course your first attempt at the glare film had an issue.

As discussed, try both with and without supporting accessories like the glare guards and see what works for you.

I have good news to report that you may not be crazy on the double image. This weekend I tested it with a variety of angles and I think I recreated what you seen. The pic below shows my camera on my toes as high as I can to grab a shot, and it shows what looks like an extra set of blue dots under each set of real dots. Is this what you were seeing?

If so, it’s the glare guard and the way it’s made I guess. You said to me pinballlife is promising to return it for you so I would do that. I’m 5’ 11” so it isnt an issue for me and very happy with mine, but I am super curious to try the comet version now.

38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png

#803 3 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Awesome man. Glad you’re getting clarity on what you like. Again, people seem to think those stern models do very well with the smoothing.
And with the glare of the PF, you may never get it perfect. I will say that the LeD reflected off the PF glass a lot, but a glare guard plastic under the DMD panel blocks it completely both ways, but you gotta live with the plastic, which mentally disappears over time, and of course your first attempt at the glare film had an issue.
As discussed, try both with and without supporting accessories like the glare guards and see what works for you.
I have good news to report that you may not be crazy on the double image. This weekend I tested it with a variety of angles and I think I recreated what you seen. The pic below shows my camera on my toes as high as I can to grab a shot, and it shows what looks like an extra set of blue dots under each set of real dots. Is this what you were seeing?
If so, it’s the glare guard and the way it’s made I guess. You said to me pinballlife is promising to return it for you so I would do that. I’m 5’ 11” so it isnt an issue for me and very happy with mine, but I am super curious to try the comet version now.
[quoted image]

Thank so much for doing the research! Yes, that is exactly the double image I see, every time I play. It's interesting that your recreated it. It was bothersome from the beginning unfortunately. I'm glad its not an issue with others because it's very tilting.

I'm in the process with playing the LCD for right now. I honestly like the Style mode that doesn't have the dots. If I have to look at dots, I'd rather go LED since at least they are bright and the colors pop. After I give the LCD a run, I'll then put the LED back on with the glare guard and then without....and see what I like best. I don't know if I'm going to order the Comet glare guard or not....

#804 3 years ago

I need your support. I received my LCD Color DMD today and it didn't arrive in the condition I expected. I'm not sure if it was damaged in transit or if Canada Customs damaged it during their inspection. I've reached out to ColorDMD for their support and I am awaiting their reply. Can someone please send me a photo of how the ribbon cable is connected and I will try to reconnect it myself, if at all possible...Pictures are enclosed.

pic 1 (resized).jpgpic 1 (resized).jpgpic 2 (resized).jpgpic 2 (resized).jpg
#805 3 years ago

So, I was installing a Color DMD into my Tommy. I noted the instructions were incomplete [step 9 and hooking up power and the ribbons are missing], so I went on line to confirm my best guesses. Warning - it is kind of easy to install the 5v plug backward if you are not careful. I had it on backward. I had not fired it up yet, but I came close. Ended up working like a charm and I'm up and running. I went with LED and it looks fantastic. I've seen the game fitted with an LCD, and it looks great too. They have a different feel to them, so it really is just personal taste in my humble opinion. I don't see that one is better than the other. I happen to like the LED. I must say though that the provided instructions are needlessly vague and incomplete. There is ample support among hobbyist. If you are installing one, I suggest reviewing a video or two, at least for a Data East install. Remember to check your 5v plug alignment and that with the ribbon cables, the red line is toward the #1 pin side. Have fun.

1 week later
#806 3 years ago

I just installed the LED version on my I500. Any idea how to get rid of the line of light across the top? It is not present on my other ColorDMDs (LED or LCD).

2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpeg2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpegC0320AC0-7AD5-47CA-A619-82DAF8B6A51E (resized).jpegC0320AC0-7AD5-47CA-A619-82DAF8B6A51E (resized).jpeg
#807 3 years ago

At least with the 128x16, there is no decision needed to be made since it will only be available in LED. https://mailchi.mp/53dc7b89cdb6/colordmd-announces-new-platform-for-128x16-dmd-games?e=c9c02c6747

#808 3 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I just installed the LED version on my I500. Any idea how to get rid of the line of light across the top? It is not present on my other ColorDMDs (LED or LCD).
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's light shining down from the backbox and hitting the top of the LED modules. Foam weatherstripping (from the hardware store) placed between the top of the metal bracket and speaker panel works great for blocking the light.

#809 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

I need your support. I received my LCD Color DMD today and it didn't arrive in the condition I expected. I'm not sure if it was damaged in transit or if Canada Customs damaged it during their inspection. I've reached out to ColorDMD for their support and I am awaiting their reply. Can someone please send me a photo of how the ribbon cable is connected and I will try to reconnect it myself, if at all possible...Pictures are enclosed.[quoted image][quoted image]

can you provide another photo of the connector where it came off of the LCD panel? it's hard to tell from the 2 photos if the connector was broken or the relief tab just came unglued from the ribbon cable.

#810 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So, I was installing a Color DMD into my Tommy. I noted the instructions were incomplete [step 9 and hooking up power and the ribbons are missing], so I went on line to confirm my best guesses. Warning - it is kind of easy to install the 5v plug backward if you are not careful. I had it on backward. I had not fired it up yet, but I came close. Ended up working like a charm and I'm up and running. I went with LED and it looks fantastic. I've seen the game fitted with an LCD, and it looks great too. They have a different feel to them, so it really is just personal taste in my humble opinion. I don't see that one is better than the other. I happen to like the LED. I must say though that the provided instructions are needlessly vague and incomplete. There is ample support among hobbyist. If you are installing one, I suggest reviewing a video or two, at least for a Data East install. Remember to check your 5v plug alignment and that with the ribbon cables, the red line is toward the #1 pin side. Have fun.

I completely agree about the instructions being needlessly vague. Right button, left button with no reference to which way is right or left. Also, there were a lot of things like attachment points, etc. just left out and left to guess about. I too watched a few videos to put the missing pieces together..

#811 3 years ago
Quoted from Codeman00:

Right button, left button with no reference to which way is right or left...

cdmd (resized).jpgcdmd (resized).jpg
#812 3 years ago

So I have a detached cable that I need to plug in. I need to make sure that the red stripe on the cable is on the "Right" side. However no where does it say which is side is the right side. After the cable is plugged in (hopefully correct), then now I think I know which side is right hand which side is left (if I did it right) and now I can deduce what button is right and left.... I think.

How about putting "right side" and "left side" on the diagram and establishing a coordinate system at the beginning? How about labeling the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of the lines of text next to each button but referring to them in the instructions as "left" and "right" when they aren't labeled as such on the PCB or in the diagram. I'm an engineer. I've created these diagrams for customers.

It can really be done better.

#813 3 years ago

Ah, so your question is a "right" vs "stage right" type thing?

Numbering them not a bad idea...but can you not see the orientation of the board components in the diagram?
Edit: sorry that last part is for orientation of the red stripe

#814 3 years ago

I will have to come back to this thread when my colordmd shows up this weekend and I need to install it!

3 months later
#815 3 years ago

LED version in a Williams Indiana Jones:

#816 3 years ago

ColorDMD LCD versus LED is really a personal choice. I have tried both and have to say, the LED versison are much brighter and feel like a color exact replacement panel version of the DMD displays originally shipped, while the LCD feels to me like a mod and is a bit lower in brightness, but can nicely 'smooth' out the screen experience. Which is better? It's really up to each owner and some machines probably feel more at home with one versus the other.

As a point of reference, I left LED in my Tales of the Arabian Nights machine.

#817 3 years ago

I have all newer sterns with the tv screens looking to buy my first dmd game Star Trek LE or premium, since I’m used to the lcd wouldnt I be better served staying with what I’m used too.

#818 3 years ago
Quoted from Sluggo39:

I have all newer sterns with the tv screens looking to buy my first dmd game Star Trek LE or premium, since I’m used to the lcd wouldnt I be better served staying with what I’m used too.

Like I said, I wish there was a magic answer, but it's really a personal preference. I have newer Stern and older WPC machines and I don't think it's as easy as staying with what you are used to. I suggest looking online at many of the posted COLORDMD youtube videos for LED and LCD and decide for yourself. The panels are about the same cost, so it's really up to you. The LCD does have a few operational mode settings, so you can mostly emulate a dot-oriented DMD display, albiet not nearly as bright as the LED version.

9 months later
#819 2 years ago

I’m torn between LCD and LED. Basically I want it to look like original style, just full color. I’m not a fan of it being super smooth, looks too perfect and unnatural IMO. What is the best one for what I’m looking for?

#820 2 years ago
Quoted from grantnel:

I What is the best one for what I’m looking for?

LED for your needs 100%

#821 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

LED for your needs 100%

Totally agree.

#822 2 years ago
Quoted from grantnel:

I’m torn between LCD and LED. Basically I want it to look like original style, just full color. I’m not a fan of it being super smooth, looks too perfect and unnatural IMO. What is the best one for what I’m looking for?

I suggest reaching out to local Pinsiders and seeing both in person. My games are in a basement, and I keep the lighting low while playing. I think LED would have been too bright for my needs. The LCD has multiple modes, including 2 sizes of dots, as well as a lot of other adjustments. Being able to switch things up was a big bonus for me. Every game, and personal preference differs.

The fact that we have a choice, and access to the older games to upgrade really points to the fact that we really might be in the golden age of pinball. Prices are high, but choices abound.

#823 2 years ago

The LED us dimmable I believe

#824 2 years ago

I have owned multiple machines with both now and this is my stance. If it’s a sega stern white star…or later…go LCD. LotR and tspp look great with it. It suits the period of technology well.

If it’s a Ballys/Williams, go LED. Feels retro. Great on STTNG and Indy

#825 2 years ago
Quoted from grantnel:

Quoted from Scandell:

I have owned multiple machines with both now and this is my stance. If it’s a sega stern white star…or later…go LCD. LotR and tspp look great with it. It suits the period of technology well.
If it’s a Ballys/Williams, go LED. Feels retro. Great on STTNG and Indy

You have excellent taste. That LOTR is LCD and STTNG is LED. Its perfect. LED for Bally Williams and LCD for Stern. LoTR currently on dots XL.

20210903_195807 (resized).jpg20210903_195807 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#826 2 years ago

It may be buried in this thread, but I was curious if on the LCD you are able to easily toggle between the DOTS, DOTXL, TILE, 8BIT, HIRES and SCAN rendering modes as a menu feature. How does this work? Thanks in advance

#827 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

It may be buried in this thread, but I was curious if on the LCD you are able to easily toggle between the DOTS, DOTXL, TILE, 8BIT, HIRES and SCAN rendering modes as a menu feature. How does this work? Thanks in advance

Yep, just select in the menu and go. Very simple. Pick the one you like best. Most people seem to like the DOTXL, but some like the HIRES. Personally I like the dot modes because they look the most like the original DMD, except with color added.

#828 2 years ago

LCD DOTSXL is the only way to go. The LED is harsh on the eyes and very pinpointed specs of light

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You have excellent taste. That LOTR is LCD and STTNG is LED. Its perfect. LED for Bally Williams and LCD for Stern. LoTR currently on dots XL.
[quoted image]

CBB90192-10EA-48A1-A664-DCC0169EE8DE.gifCBB90192-10EA-48A1-A664-DCC0169EE8DE.gif
#830 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

LCD DOTSXL is the only way to go. The LED is harsh on the eyes and very pinpointed specs of light

TastyLikelyBunting-size_restricted (resized).pngTastyLikelyBunting-size_restricted (resized).png
#831 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I used to think that, I must have bought at least 8 LCD screens. I recently got the LED version and changed my mind.
Also scanlines works well on some games like TWD.

CA930188-0DFF-4F1B-83B3-072853E3D398 (resized).jpegCA930188-0DFF-4F1B-83B3-072853E3D398 (resized).jpeg
#832 2 years ago

After owning both LCD & LED, I have come to the conclusion.... either LCD & LED is better than original.

#833 2 years ago

LCD looks weird imo, go LED.

#834 2 years ago

LED looks weird IMO, go LCD.

#835 2 years ago

The one thing about the LCD people don't mention is how it reflects light. If the game has spotlights on the slings they reflect right off the LCD and you can't see it for shit anyway. Everytime I see a game with an LCD running any other mode than DotsXL I cringe. I think the Simpsons is the only exception, maybe Family Guy but I haven't actually seen it.

#836 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The one thing about the LCD people don't mention is how it reflects light. If the game has spotlights on the slings they reflect right off the LCD and you can't see it for shit anyway.

Funny, I had the opposite experience. I put an LED ColorDMD in my Metallica Premium and it looked like crap until I put a DMD polarized glare guard on it from Comet Pinball. Without the glare guard, it reflected on the playfield glass and also reflected light from the playfield. The LCD version is naturally polarized and doesn't reflect as much. By the time you buy the glare guard the prices are about the same.

Quoted from Darscot:

Everytime I see a game with an LCD running any other mode than DotsXL I cringe.

Agreed. It looks terrible on every game I have seen it except TSPP. I think a lot of people see the Hires mode where the dots are all joined and don't realize there is a range of choices of dot modes on the LCD version. When looking side by side by side, the LCD looks the most like a colorized DMD as far as the dot size and spacing. On the LED, the dots are too small doesn't look like a colorized DMD.

#837 2 years ago

I’ve come to a conclusion. It’s YOUR game, order what YOU like.

#838 2 years ago

So, I hope color dmd gonna do AMH.

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

So, I hope color dmd gonna do AMH.

Why?! Alternate solutions were already implemented. Maybe there's a handful of owners that would prefer an LCD, but hardly seems worth the effort to satisfy that. It's not going to be done.

On LED vs LCD, I agree it depends on the game. I've tried both on some games and sometimes one looks better than the other. On games that have especially good graphics work, I like LCD for the Hires mode. Looks great on LoTR and PoTC.

#840 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Why?! Alternate solutions were already implemented. Maybe there's a handful of owners that would prefer an LCD, but hardly seems worth the effort to satisfy that. It's not going to be done.
On LED vs LCD, I agree it depends on the game. I've tried both on some games and sometimes one looks better than the other. On games that have especially good graphics work, I like LCD for the Hires mode. Looks great on LoTR and PoTC.

Just trying. No hate.

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny, I had the opposite experience. I put an LED ColorDMD in my Metallica Premium and it looked like crap until I put a DMD polarized glare guard on it from Comet Pinball. Without the glare guard, it reflected on the playfield glass and also reflected light from the playfield. The LCD version is naturally polarized and doesn't reflect as much. By the time you buy the glare guard the prices are about the same.

Agreed. It looks terrible on every game I have seen it except TSPP. I think a lot of people see the Hires mode where the dots are all joined and don't realize there is a range of choices of dot modes on the LCD version. When looking side by side by side, the LCD looks the most like a colorized DMD as far as the dot size and spacing. On the LED, the dots are too small doesn't look like a colorized DMD.

I agree on the glare guard use them on my LED. LCD in my wood back box AC/DC and I had to use spacer so it is tilted back at a similar angle to the metal back box. Spotlights were brutal without the offset.

2 months later
#842 2 years ago

I’m late to the game and am looking to get a color dmd for my TSPP. Seems like the consensus for that individual game is LCD on the Hires setting, correct?

I read/skimmed almost this entire thread and only one person said LED for Simpsons, everyone else said LCD for it. I haven’t seen any other TSPP in person but have seen LCD Hires on videos (and in person for LOTR only so anticipate knowing what it will look like.)

#843 2 years ago

I prefer led

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I’m late to the game and am looking to get a color dmd for my TSPP. Seems like the consensus for that individual game is LCD on the Hires setting, correct?
I read/skimmed almost this entire thread and only one person said LED for Simpsons, everyone else said LCD for it. I haven’t seen any other TSPP in person but have seen LCD Hires on videos (and in person for LOTR only so anticipate knowing what it will look like.)

I installed a LCD in a TSPP this summer, set it to HiRes, and was very pleased with the result. I would recommend that route.

#845 2 years ago

Lcd always, correct

#846 2 years ago

I just purchased a Met Prem .Is this LCD or LED?

4D9523BB-0CAA-4FFB-8F5A-B1FF56D18D50 (resized).png4D9523BB-0CAA-4FFB-8F5A-B1FF56D18D50 (resized).pngFA4AB29B-24B5-496D-B5B0-30B91FFA6F32 (resized).pngFA4AB29B-24B5-496D-B5B0-30B91FFA6F32 (resized).pngFBD81198-AC8A-4DA6-B3E8-FFEBA6EDF920 (resized).pngFBD81198-AC8A-4DA6-B3E8-FFEBA6EDF920 (resized).png
#847 2 years ago

LCD

#848 2 years ago

Always get LCD. The LED one is very harsh on the eyes and super small points of light.

#849 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A LED screen is the same size as a dmd.
A LCD is much larger than a dmd.
If you remove the back glass and look behind the speaker panel it's easy to tell if your unsure.

#850 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like LCD set to DOTSXL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led/page/17?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.