85803B1D-1CF9-4865-AA63-B1F358427042 (resized).jpeg
25C0F298-8758-4729-A93B-B606036F2612 (resized).jpeg
FB79E780-408C-4D67-A27D-4F72E74AEB98 (resized).jpeg
CA8086E4-B3FD-4FAC-B36F-161326FB6F11 (resized).jpeg
4E8630F6-FDF9-4E06-8ABE-DBE6064E3CA6 (resized).jpeg
C5C7C14A-F1DE-41BD-8FC9-3109794A77C0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3271 (resized).jpg
IMG_3269 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So I thought all I needed to do to modify my Data East speaker panel was dremmel out the top piece of plastic that is above the DMD panel.

With this done, the LCD fits in the panel fine, but it still hits the light panel behind the backbox if I try to put the speaker panel back in place.
My LCD was bought used for WCS, but I don't think they are different. I might have to rotate the DMD controller panel, but I still don't think that would give clearance. I don't want to cut the lightboard planel, even though there isn't much there.

Thoughts? has anyone done this? I've already moved my ColorDMD LED to Lethal Weapon.

IMG_3269 (resized).jpgIMG_3269 (resized).jpgIMG_3271 (resized).jpgIMG_3271 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

You need to drill new mounting holes in the flanges on the ColorDMD, roughly 5/8"

The LCD panel is as low as it will go. It is flush with the bottom of the speaker panel.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Did a color DMD on my TFTC, here are a few pictures. You have to drop the speaker panel down 1st before you open the backbox. I had to remove a bulb on the back box to clear.

Ok I’ve done pretty much exactly what you did with the panel. It just doesn’t fit with the backboard. I’ll try putting it in my LW3 and see if it’s something with DESW.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Isn't the LED version a direct swap for DMD size and mounting wise? Would they let you exchange for that version?

Yes it is and I had a LED in it. Bought this on a whim used in town and had it in a Johnny M at our local collective for a while. Decided to bring it home so the LED moved to LW3. I thought this was going to be a pretty simple mod.

2 years later
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

How did you make out? I am thinking about installing an LCD into LW3.

Putting the LCD in was a pain. I had to moved the backbox light board backa bit so everything would fit. Get the LED version, it's plug n play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-in-a-desw?tu=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.