(Topic ID: 165510)

ColorDMD Joins the Circus!!! Game 44! - RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
CV (resized).jpg
IMG_6598 (resized).PNG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
keep-calm-and-stop-being-such-a-whiny-little-bitch-1 (resized).png
CV colored (resized).png
CopyCat_Color_(resized).PNG
CopyCat_(resized).PNG
CV_or_MM_(resized).png
20160809_223733_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
empty_spot_(resized).png
CV_3_color_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 7 years ago

Just installed mine a little while ago and it's true that the videos just do not do it justice. I have the LCD ColorDMD in three games and they look great but the LED colors really stand out comparatively. Excellent work on this guys!

I believe I have found a bug though, the Shoot Again followed by Highest Score animation is mostly white with some green "splotches" in it, I guess this could be intentional but it looks odd if that's the case.

#47 7 years ago

Just found what looks to be another bug as well - if Highwire MB is ready to start and the third ball is shot up the ramp while another animation is playing, particularly the WOW lit, the Highwire MB start animation is in white and yellow instead of blue. It's like that video sequence starts at a different frame and therefore the coloring is off?? My cellphone camera does not do a good job of capturing this but it is easily reproducible, just lock two balls and have MB ready lit then hit the wow targets and then hit the top ramp switch. This is with the 2.0H Home ROMs installed.

#51 7 years ago

I do have it set to catch and fling the ball but when I first saw it the shot was hard enough off the targets the magnet didn't catch it. For the video I had the glass off and hit all the switches by hand. I have the 2.0H Home ROMs installed.

I've also seen a couple instances where the highwire locks, not just the last one, have been yellow instead of blue and white but I can't reproduce it yet.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I wish mine had arrived today, I ordered Tues &...Its not coming til Tues

I always use USPS Priority Mail, its about the same price as UPS Ground and way faster for us on the other side of the country.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've never been in the backbox of a CV. Is it possible to access the DMD from the backbox?

No, in fact one of the unique features of CV is the DMD mounted down below the backbox. I guess you may be able to stick a skinny arm down the hole and reach the back of the display but it will be tight.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I installed the ColorDMD in my CV. I love the look of it but I found it a bit cheesy that the copy cat mode now advertises ColorDMD.

I don't know if I would classify it as "cheesy" but I was certainly really surprised when I first saw it because I thought they never change the content of what's being shown except to add color and scaling in the case of High Res, etc. on the LCD version. I'll try to capture a picture or video of it in action but that's not easy to do unless you have a tripod or something setup to just keep recording.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

That is a really awesome photo!
In the CV test game we used, the ColorDMD LED was installed without the game's 4 black plastic DMD spacers to get the ColorDMD LED to sit closer to the DMD plastic. It's just personal preference but I like it closer.

That is how I installed mine as well, no spacers. Incidentally when I received mine there was a small screw and a one of the white spacers rolling around in the bottom of the box. It was obvious where it had come from and pretty simple to reinstall.

#92 7 years ago

I don't really consider it an advertisement, it's just an Easter Egg of sorts and actually makes the boring Copy Cat left and right blobs a little more interesting. Anyone serious enough about pinball to get to play a CV with this display in it is probably going to know exactly what product they're looking at well before they get to Copy Cat mode and if they don't they probably aren't in the market for one anyway.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Ugh, as someone who does not 'mod' my games and has shitty luck all around of course they are going to start advertising on the display and game where I finally take the plunge. I have a large collection and my decision to buy this product for any more of my machines will hinge on how they handle 'someones brilliant idea'. I'm ok with the plasma display. Color would be a fun addition to my machines, but not at the expense of advertising. Oh well, still looking forward to getting my display on Wednesday, hope it won't be the last.
-Jeff

It's not like there's a scroll running across the bottom of the display with the website listed or something, it's in one mode that is only started every few games (or less) and even then it's fairly unobtrusive. Certainly doesn't outweigh how great the color display is by any means in my opinion.

#101 7 years ago

I completed battle the Ringmaster last night and was really impressed that all the clips in the victory sequence are colored! I remember there being discussion that this may be very difficult or even impossible because of the randomness of it but it looked fantastic, my compliments to the chef!

#107 7 years ago

One of the potential problems with the ROM names being generic (ColorDMD.rom or Chroma.rom) you can't be sure which one is on your memory stick but if this did indeed happen I wouldn't expect the ROM update to be successful as the name is wrong and there's no Chroma ROM for MM released. Now if this is just a prank I fell for it and well done!

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

This one needs some tweaking.
Lots of two tone wash outs at certain parts of the game.

I haven't seen that at all and I've been playing my CV like crazy since installing it. I've noticed a few times when what was multi-color text switched to single color text when it scrolls off screen but other than the two or three problems I've already posted it's been very good for me. What version ROM are you running?

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Well, there's only one version: 3.0.
It's always the same two colors: yellow and grey.
It's only once a lot of action gets going on the display.

I mean what game ROMs are you running in CV, not what ROM you have installed in the display.

#119 7 years ago

I just saw a new one, I had been in status display (flipper held in) then released and hit the side show, the animation was in two-tone with the top half in one color and the bottom in the other, I think it was yellow and light blue. Once the slide show beginning animation finished it went back to full color. I can try to reproduce it but havent yet.

#129 7 years ago

I'm really surprised by the backlash from some regarding the Copy Cat Easter Egg. It seems clear that the developer was just trying to have some fun with it and do something besides two big blobs, I don't think they thought "I'll plant subliminal information to make these rubes buy more ColorDMDs!". ?

If it said Copy and Cat or something else would those that dislike it still be upset? I think some perspective is in order, yes we are paying almost $400 for it but this is for a game we never thought we'd see in color and it looks awesome even with a couple bugs I'm sure they'll fix!

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Eric, go back and read through the entire thread.
Numerous others made the request weeks before I did.
Their request wasn't tactful either? Sheesh!

Yes, but they have not released a new version of the ROM yet and have not said they weren't (or were for that matter) going to remove it in the next release. There have been bugs reported so I think it's safe to assume they are working on those and since it's not easy to update the code when installed in this game most will certainly prefer not to do it multiple times.

#139 7 years ago

I think they should change it to Popa duik or J POP.

2 months later
#192 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Wasn't trolling. It just seems highly contradictory.
To state that the code is included with the port but the same code can't be put on the website because it's a pending update, makes absolutely no sense.
But hey, I don't live in California. They obviously do things different out there.

You stated that you removed the display and have it in the box ready to return. Randy told you the refund is pending when you return it. Why in the world are you still going on about this and making such a mountain out of a molehil?

3 years later
#215 3 years ago
Quoted from HectorCM:

Hi! Could you please tell where did you connect the power cable? I installed mine and Its not not getting power (the original dmd does work). Thank you!

That's been three years ago so I don't remember it vividly but I just followed the instructions on the site: http://colordmd.com/installation/ColorDMD%20LED%20Installation%20Instructions%20WPC%20WPC95%20Rev1.PDF

The ColorDMD uses 12VDC for power not the High Voltage the Plasma uses so the fact the old one works doesn't really matter power-wise. Does the game play okay now with the old display in / are you sure it didn't blow the 12VDC fuse? If you have other mods that are tapped off of it it can pull down the supply and / or blow the fuse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-joins-the-circus?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.