(Topic ID: 165510)

ColorDMD Joins the Circus!!! Game 44! - RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rum-Z
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CV (resized).jpg
IMG_6598 (resized).PNG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
keep-calm-and-stop-being-such-a-whiny-little-bitch-1 (resized).png
CV colored (resized).png
CopyCat_Color_(resized).PNG
CopyCat_(resized).PNG
CV_or_MM_(resized).png
20160809_223733_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
empty_spot_(resized).png
CV_3_color_(resized).jpg
CV_(resized).png

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 3 years ago

I completed battle the Ringmaster last night and was really impressed that all the clips in the victory sequence are colored! I remember there being discussion that this may be very difficult or even impossible because of the randomness of it but it looked fantastic, my compliments to the chef!

#102 3 years ago

Agreed..I saw it in mine today..incredible work.

#103 3 years ago

They probably reverse engineered the RNG used for those effects in PinMAME and mapped out all possible frame hashes to fill in the gaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

#104 3 years ago

I just updated my CV and something didn't go as planned.CV_or_MM_(resized).png

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I just updated my CV and something didn't go as planned.

Hmmm

#106 3 years ago

Oh snap... the MMR color display issues are contagious.

#107 3 years ago

One of the potential problems with the ROM names being generic (ColorDMD.rom or Chroma.rom) you can't be sure which one is on your memory stick but if this did indeed happen I wouldn't expect the ROM update to be successful as the name is wrong and there's no Chroma ROM for MM released. Now if this is just a prank I fell for it and well done!

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

One of the potential problems with the ROM names being generic (ColorDMD.rom or Chroma.rom) you can't be sure which one is on your memory stick but if this did indeed happen I wouldn't expect the ROM update to be successful as the name is wrong and there's no Chroma ROM for MM released. Now if this is just a prank I fell for it and well done!

ColorDMD doesn't draw any game graphics. It just applies color. It's a joke.

#109 3 years ago

Looking at the picture, my brain is instinctively pre-playing MM music in my head as well.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

ColorDMD doesn't draw any game graphics. It just applies color. It's a joke.

Yep yep. The upgrade was not ColorDMD related as I still had the Plasma DMD installed. I was upgrading NVRAM for a fellow Pinsider and after testing out the game with the CV game ROM, I swapped back to his MM game ROM and was enjoying a laugh as I took the picture and setting the MM MPU board to be on Free Play before removing it out of CV.

#111 3 years ago

This one needs some tweaking.

Lots of two tone wash outs at certain parts of the game.

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

This one needs some tweaking.
Lots of two tone wash outs at certain parts of the game.

I haven't seen that at all and I've been playing my CV like crazy since installing it. I've noticed a few times when what was multi-color text switched to single color text when it scrolls off screen but other than the two or three problems I've already posted it's been very good for me. What version ROM are you running?

#113 3 years ago

Well, there's only one version: 3.0.

It's always the same two colors: yellow and grey.

It's only once a lot of action gets going on the display.

#114 3 years ago

Thanks to those that posted videos. This came out amazing! One day I shall have one!

#115 3 years ago

Anyone have a link to the installation instructions? Don't see it listed on the support page. Thanks

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Anyone have a link to the installation instructions? Don't see it listed on the support page. Thanks

http://colordmd.com/installation/ColorDMD%20LED%20Installation%20Instructions%20WPC%20WPC95%20Rev1.PDF

#117 3 years ago

I have noticed some odd mixed colors in some parts. Mostly after the last ball drains. I think it has a mix of green and gray dots and then it goes to normal colorized dots. I would never be able to get a picture of it, because it happens so fast.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Well, there's only one version: 3.0.
It's always the same two colors: yellow and grey.
It's only once a lot of action gets going on the display.

I mean what game ROMs are you running in CV, not what ROM you have installed in the display.

#119 3 years ago

I just saw a new one, I had been in status display (flipper held in) then released and hit the side show, the animation was in two-tone with the top half in one color and the bottom in the other, I think it was yellow and light blue. Once the slide show beginning animation finished it went back to full color. I can try to reproduce it but havent yet.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I just saw a new one, I had been in status display (flipper held in) then released and hit the side show, the animation was in two-tone with the top half in one color and the bottom in the other, I think it was yellow and light blue. Once the slide show beginning animation finished it went back to full color. I can try to reproduce it but havent yet.

Yep, that's the bug!

#121 3 years ago

Anyone have instructions specifically for CV? (Gaining access to the DMD, and replacing it with the ColorDMD LED)?

Rob

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Anyone have instructions specifically for CV? (Gaining access to the DMD, and replacing it with the ColorDMD LED)?
Rob

Gaining access to the DMD is merely pulling out the the playfield and taking out four screws in the DMD frame that house the DMD.

Took about 10 minutes to install from start to finish.

If you need additional help, just shoot me a PM.

#123 3 years ago

To echo the voice of others:

I would like for Color DMD to publicly address why they decided to put their name on the color bars on the Copy Cat mode??!!!

WHAT.........THE........F**K???!!!

Extremely tacky and would like to see it removed in their next revision!

#124 3 years ago

Interesting. In the past they have made it clear that if a pattern does not exist, they can't add one. In other words if there are no changes in shades, there can't be changes in color in the color version. This seems to no longer be the case.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

To echo the voice of others:
I would like for Color DMD to publicly address why they decided to put their name on the color bars on the Copy Cat mode??!!!
WHAT.........THE........F**K???!!!
Extremely tacky and would like to see it removed in their next revision!

Please be aware... the following is an official public address from ColorDMD...

Negative commentary posted to public forums in all-caps accompanied by devil horns, ellipsis, asterisks, any combination of question and exclamation marks, and demands for public address, are likely to result in a ridiculous public address. It may also contain elements of sarcasm.

That is all.

This message brought to you by guys working at 12:30AM on a Sunday morning to make your games a little more fun.

P.S. I'm certain there was a constructive suggestion in there somewhere. When you find it, please mail it and any others to info@colordmd.com.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Please be aware... the following is an official public address from ColorDMD...

Please be aware...

If you have no intention on removing this tacky form of marketing, just let me know now. I will gladly remove this hardware from my game and send it back for a refund. I also sent you a PM.

Once I send it back, I promise to never ever buy anything else from Color DMD.

So, you won't ever have to worry about having to dodge my questions with "sarcasm" on a public forum.

Unlike others, I don't appreciate companies who think that they can thumb their nose at loyal consumers who have supported them from day one.

#127 3 years ago

Lighten up, Francis.

#128 3 years ago

Thank you for making a great product that brought CV to life in a way that I could never have imagined. I know how hard the folks at ColorDMD worked to make this happen and I'm proud to be a customer for life.

Marc

#129 3 years ago

I'm really surprised by the backlash from some regarding the Copy Cat Easter Egg. It seems clear that the developer was just trying to have some fun with it and do something besides two big blobs, I don't think they thought "I'll plant subliminal information to make these rubes buy more ColorDMDs!". ?

If it said Copy and Cat or something else would those that dislike it still be upset? I think some perspective is in order, yes we are paying almost $400 for it but this is for a game we never thought we'd see in color and it looks awesome even with a couple bugs I'm sure they'll fix!

#130 3 years ago

First off, this is not an Easter egg!

It's downright advertising that has nothing to do with the game!

A creative animation artist would have turned the color bars into a fancy design or something relating to the circus.

Why put cheap advertising into the game???

Put your company name in small font somewhere on your product, not in the game.

Color DMD and the designers at the SFGE clearly stated that if the pattern isn't already there, it can't be added!

So, what's really going on here???

Poor taste and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks so!

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Color DMD and the designers at the SFGE clearly stated that if the pattern isn't already there, it can't be added!
So, what's really going on here???

Again, I'd like to know more info on this. I just think it's unnecessary advertising. Not a major problem but it is noticeable and sends a message. If Williams wrote their logo across the screen when they originally designed the game I would understand that precedent.

#132 3 years ago

Okay, so you don't think it was a good idea. But you could request that the rom be updated to remove the addition with a little tact, rather than starting at full rage explosion.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Okay, so you don't think it was a good idea. But you could request that the rom be updated to remove the addition with a little tact, rather than starting at full rage explosion.

Eric, go back and read through the entire thread.

Numerous others made the request weeks before I did.

Their request wasn't tactful either? Sheesh!

#134 3 years ago

Well, here is how I see the ColorDMD plug in CV. It was a new product in an 20 year old pinball machine, it and was used to grab the player's attention to something new in the game. You would actually be quite surprised that I had heard from several people at TPF, where this was shown, who thought CV always had a color display. Though the mode may not be easy to get to by most of the first time players, it was a way to get the player's attention who may not have even noticed the ColorDMD display advertisement on the top of the machine.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Eric, go back and read through the entire thread.
Numerous others made the request weeks before I did.
Their request wasn't tactful either? Sheesh!

Yes, but they have not released a new version of the ROM yet and have not said they weren't (or were for that matter) going to remove it in the next release. There have been bugs reported so I think it's safe to assume they are working on those and since it's not easy to update the code when installed in this game most will certainly prefer not to do it multiple times.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, but they have not released a new version of the ROM yet and have not said they weren't (or were for that matter) going to remove it in the next release. There have been bugs reported so I think it's safe to assume they are working on those and since it's not easy to update the code when installed in this game most will certainly prefer not to do it multiple times.

So by your definition, not enough people had complained for Color DMD to make an announcement that the issues were being taken into consideration?

This was the main reason why I decided to speak up!

Two weeks of silence means that these concerns are being addressed or does it mean that the company doesn't give a flip?

I like to give people credit until they prove me wrong.

Especially, when they confront the issue with sarcasm.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:Numerous others made the request weeks before I did.

I noticed it too (and made mention of it 2 weeks ago). Again, ColorDMD did a great job with this release. I just don't think the ColorDMD text in copy cat mode is appropriate.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

This message brought to you by guys working at 12:30AM on a Sunday morning to make your games a little more fun.

That you get paid $400/display for....

Please don't get all worked up over a few flip comments on Pinside. Many here (including myself) have been nothing but supportive of your product. I have 22 displays (with plans to buy more).

#139 3 years ago

I think they should change it to Popa duik or J POP.

#140 3 years ago

I can't believe pinball enthusiasts are complaining about this! I just paid $7000 for a new Stern pinball and their "Stern" logo and website screens pop up every 45 seconds. I've never heard of anyone complaining about that Stern practice. Every Williams/Bally pinball I own has their logo flashing throughout also. Should we all call Stern and tell them to remove their "free advertising" from the pinballs we are spending so much money on? I didn't buy these pinballs to promote Stern, nevertheless there the logos remain.

#141 3 years ago

The feedback regarding Catgate(TM) had already been noted and will be taken into consideration when/if an update for CV is released.

Chris and I are on the forum a lot, but don't respond to every issue/comment that's posted here. If you have a question or issue in need of a direct response, an email or PM is the best way to contact us.

We place a higher priority on bug reports, but we do remain open to constructive suggestions for improvements. We manage a heavy load so any requests will necessarily be balanced against other priorities.

We sincerely appreciate all the continued support and interest in ColorDMD and hope that everyone is enjoying their CV displays!

#142 3 years ago

any Picture from what we are talking here? logo during the game?

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

any Picture from what we are talking here? logo during the game?

No logo or even the same font.

Generic font letters spelling COLOR and DMD appear superimposed over gray rectangles that are randomly displayed on the left and right sides of the screen. The two rectangles (and words) do not ever appear on the screen at the same time.

The only time you'd see it is if you manage to start the sideshow Copy Cat mode during the game. It was intended as an innocuous bit of fun to punch up a fairly uninspired graphic but YMMV.

Also, to help keep things in perspective, this mode uses only one out of 4000+ unique hand-colored filters that were created for the game! The effort to colorize Cirqus Voltaire, and create a new hardware platform to support it, was enormous.

Original
Color

#144 3 years ago

Personally, I'd rather not have the color dmd text in the copycat mode. Great work on the new display and cv coding, otherwise. Looks great,

It was my 7th color dmd display!

#145 3 years ago

I would love to see a USB stick with Color DMD logo on it designed with a key ring to attach my coin door key to it. I'm always looking for a USB stick for updates, this is advertising I will gladly pay for. Randy and his guys are all class and any issues I have ever had have been handled with utmost professionalism, and maybe a version with and without the text might become available. Adding color to an amber screen has been the best pinball mod ever,keep up the great work guys and what ever new release comes out, it feels like New Pin Day for me.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

No logo or even the same font.
Generic font letters spelling COLOR and DMD appear superimposed over gray rectangles that are randomly displayed on the left and right sides of the screen. The two rectangles (and words) do not ever appear on the screen at the same time.
The only time you'd see it is if you manage to start the sideshow Copy Cat mode during the game. It was intended as an innocuous bit of fun to punch up a fairly uninspired graphic but YMMV.
Also, to help keep things in perspective, this mode uses only one out of 4000+ unique hand-colored filters that were created for the game! The effort to colorize Cirqus Voltaire, and create a new hardware platform to support it, was enormous.</blockquot

I like it.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The feedback regarding Catgate(TM)

It's a shame you couldn't take the high road on this issue. Instead you decided to continue to mock your customers. It's unfortunate that you had to start your response with this comment as the rest of your statement was quite professional. Oh well...your business, run as you see fit.

One final note. Spend last time reading Pinside and more time colorizing Family Guy.

1 week later
#148 3 years ago

I'm enjoying low scoring games now!! CV colored (resized).png

#149 3 years ago

I honestly don't understand why this "advertising", if you can even call it that, is so objectionable to some. If it's a company you support and purchase products from don't you want the company to continue to be successful? I've bought many colorDMD's and plan to buy the one for CV next. It's one that I never thought we would ever see, so two little words added during a video mode doesn't bother me in the least.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I honestly don't understand why this "advertising", if you can even call it that, is so objectionable to some. If it's a company you support and purchase products from don't you want the company to continue to be successful? I've bought many colorDMD's and plan to buy the one for CV next. It's one that I never thought we would ever see, so two little words added during a video mode doesn't bother me in the least.

Agree and hoping it's not sold out by the time "Mrs. Claus" gets my list this year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside