(Topic ID: 144921)

ColorDMD Iron Man Flies Again! VERSION 1.85 SUPPORT ADDED!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMXL (resized).jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20151130_174530_1.jpg
IMXL.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
dacron_insulation_jpg_220x220.jpg
IMXL.jpg
image.png
Tron.jpg
IMXL.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Stupid question - how do you get to upscaling mode? I just installed mine, kinda clueless on how to change that...

From their site:

"How can I change the settings on my ColorDMD display?

ColorDMD controller boards include a simple four-button menu system for changing and saving display settings. The right button is used to enter the menu system. Then left and right buttons move through the adjustable settings which currently include color, display style, backlight, and mounting position. The inner buttons are used to modify settings. The "SAVE AND EXIT" screen allows new settings to be stored to the display."

Basically get access to the back of it, and then hit the button on the right (with the screen facing you the far right button). That will get you into the menu to mess with settings.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I know how to use the menu, but I don't know what causes the upscaling...that was my question.

Ah, okay, so go through the menu and one of the options will let you choose between the styles, like dots, dotsXL, scan lines, tile, etc. By default it should be on dots, so look for that.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Dots (not XL) for me.

Really? I'm not sure we can be friends anymore after that admission.

XL for life!!!

1 week later
#163 8 years ago

If you own an Iron Man get this. Pictures and video don't do it justice, it's such a huge improvement over the smeary red dots.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Plasma DMDs look a little smoother and IMO the shading depth is better. Plus, no segments.

This is like arguing what tastes better, paste or white glue, when someone is offering you a chocolate chip cookie instead.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't believe it. It was the same display. I put in the newer code when it came out and immediately noticed a difference. Went back a rev SOLELY for the DMD graphics. It was night and day difference. I kept that code installed until IMVE came out and updated for the new light shows. Noticed the graphical downgrade immediately again. Shoot, now I want to go back to that earlier rev just to prove I'm not crazy.

I seriously am struggling to think how this could be true.

We're talking about thumbnail videos here. A DMD is 128x32 pixels. ( See this for a refresher if needed! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/understanding-dmd-resolution-with-visuals )

But on Iron Man it's even less than that, because it doesn't use the whole 128 width for the videos, with the scores on the left.

So we're talking tremendously tiny videos. There's really no reason to compress them further randomly during a code update that I can think of. Unless they suddenly added a ton more sounds and videos and were pushing up against a storage limit. And to the best of my knowledge that's not the case.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Help please. I have this on my VE and was wondering what is the best setting?? Please give your opinion. I have not played with the settings much. I figured just wait to hear other opinions after a few weeks.
Thanks,
Rob

It's really a personal thing, but all of my games are set to DotsXL, and the Iron Man I played on Sunday was set to DotsXL, and I like that setting the best. It retains the original spirit of the dots, you get the pseudo rounded edges that dots provide, they're big so it's bright and the video feels pretty filled in and solid, and there are no weird artifacts or off feeling things like the upscaling can sometimes do.

But it's easy to experiment, when the new modes came out I tried them all. See what feels good to you.

Then go back to DotsXL because it's best.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Thanks Aurich! I love the ending of your post LOL BTW have we met at PAGG? Not sure?

I've only been to PAGG once, in 2013, so probably not. I need to get back up there.

I wonder how many people are coming south for Arcade Expo in Banning next month? It's gonna be a hell of a show! http://www.arcadeexpo.com

Especially with a major tournament (INDISC) combined with it now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-iron-man-flies-in-november?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.