(Topic ID: 144921)

ColorDMD Iron Man Flies Again! VERSION 1.85 SUPPORT ADDED!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMXL (resized).jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20151130_174530_1.jpg
IMXL.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
dacron_insulation_jpg_220x220.jpg
IMXL.jpg
image.png
Tron.jpg
IMXL.jpg
There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

Holy smokes, ordered late last night at 11 and just got the order has been shipped update at 7:30 am!

Freaky Fast!

#152 8 years ago

This is definitely the most impressive ColorDMD I have ever seen. The videos are actually viewable now. Nice job. I love it in mine.

#153 8 years ago

I got mine, with the kit/spacer for IMVE

can anyone tell me, is the kit self explanatory or do you have any tips on how to install it?

#154 8 years ago

Here's the mounting diagram for the four corner posts. It's also linked on the Hardware Support page of our site.

http://www.colordmd.com/Mounting%20for%20New%20Stern%20Cabinets.pdf

#155 8 years ago

Thanks, I'm doing my part to support the economy as well as small business during this holiday season.

#156 8 years ago

I've found that the spacers require that you adjust the vertical alignment a bit.

#157 8 years ago

Looks bad ass!image.jpgimage.jpg

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Looks bad ass!

Agreed. Oh and hey look at that... I finally beat Jericho what a coincidence! No big deal

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Oh and hey look at that... I finally beat Jericho what a coincidence! No big deal

Me too! ColorDMD makes me play better somehow...almost every time I install it on a game, I reach a level I could never previously break.

#160 8 years ago

Is it difficult to install on the VE?

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Nope. Just need the right spacers/spacer kit.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Took me maybe 20 minutes tops.

#163 8 years ago

If you own an Iron Man get this. Pictures and video don't do it justice, it's such a huge improvement over the smeary red dots.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you own an Iron Man get this. Pictures and video don't do it justice, it's such a huge improvement over the smeary red dots.

It also fixes the crappy pixilated clips that happened when Stern compressed the video in the last update. It really is awesome and I can now tell exactly what is pictured in the videos. I never knew that there were tanks behind Monger when he climbs out of the roof of the building, and the Bogey chase clips are incredible.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

It also fixes the crappy pixilated clips that happened when Stern compressed the video in the last update. It really is awesome and I can now tell exactly what is pictured in the videos. I never knew that there were tanks behind Monger when he climbs out of the roof of the building, and the Bogey chase clips are incredible.

The quality of the clips never changed - they just looked worse on the Red LED DMDs.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The quality of the clips never changed - they just looked worse on the Red LED DMDs.

False. They definitely compressed the videos (I think it was the update that changed the scoring for the do or die hurry up down from 50M). 100% sure of that. I went back temporarily to the old version because of that.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed. Now the red display in my SM sitting next to it looks like crap...

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

False. They definitely compressed the videos (I think it was the update that changed the scoring for the do or die hurry up down from 50M). 100% sure of that. I went back temporarily to the old version because of that.

Memory compression. Didn't affect the dots quality.

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Agreed. Now the red display in my SM sitting next to it looks like crap...

I had a plasma DMD on SM looked just as bad as red DMD on IM

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I had a plasma DMD on SM looked just as bad as red DMD on IM

Plasma DMDs look a little smoother and IMO the shading depth is better. Plus, no segments.

#171 8 years ago

IM is my first ColorDMD and it looks amazing. Only took about 20 minutes to hook up. Putting them in a couple more games in the next week.

#172 8 years ago

Mine is on the UPS truck for delivery today!!

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Plasma DMDs look a little smoother and IMO the shading depth is better. Plus, no segments.

This is like arguing what tastes better, paste or white glue, when someone is offering you a chocolate chip cookie instead.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is like arguing what tastes better, paste or white glue, when someone is offering you a chocolate chip cookie instead.

Yeah, right? WHO CARES! Color DMD or nothin', MATHAFACKOS!!!!!

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Memory compression. Didn't affect the dots quality.

It did. I viewed it with my own eyes. Try it yourself. Pull an old version...maybe it was the version before that even. It's all moot now with ColorDMD.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It did. I viewed it with my own eyes. Try it yourself. Pull an old version...maybe it was the version before that even. It's all moot now with ColorDMD.

Was it on the same display? I remember someone looked at the files in Pinball Browser and said the dots were identical.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Was it on the same display? I remember someone looked at the files in Pinball Browser and said the dots were identical.

That was me. They are identical.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

I don't believe it. It was the same display. I put in the newer code when it came out and immediately noticed a difference. Went back a rev SOLELY for the DMD graphics. It was night and day difference. I kept that code installed until IMVE came out and updated for the new light shows. Noticed the graphical downgrade immediately again. Shoot, now I want to go back to that earlier rev just to prove I'm not crazy.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't believe it. It was the same display. I put in the newer code when it came out and immediately noticed a difference. Went back a rev SOLELY for the DMD graphics. It was night and day difference. I kept that code installed until IMVE came out and updated for the new light shows. Noticed the graphical downgrade immediately again. Shoot, now I want to go back to that earlier rev just to prove I'm not crazy.

I seriously am struggling to think how this could be true.

We're talking about thumbnail videos here. A DMD is 128x32 pixels. ( See this for a refresher if needed! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/understanding-dmd-resolution-with-visuals )

But on Iron Man it's even less than that, because it doesn't use the whole 128 width for the videos, with the scores on the left.

So we're talking tremendously tiny videos. There's really no reason to compress them further randomly during a code update that I can think of. Unless they suddenly added a ton more sounds and videos and were pushing up against a storage limit. And to the best of my knowledge that's not the case.

#180 8 years ago

Help please. I have this on my VE and was wondering what is the best setting?? Please give your opinion. I have not played with the settings much. I figured just wait to hear other opinions after a few weeks.

Thanks,
Rob

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Help please. I have this on my VE and was wondering what is the best setting?? Please give your opinion. I have not played with the settings much. I figured just wait to hear other opinions after a few weeks.
Thanks,
Rob

It's really a personal thing, but all of my games are set to DotsXL, and the Iron Man I played on Sunday was set to DotsXL, and I like that setting the best. It retains the original spirit of the dots, you get the pseudo rounded edges that dots provide, they're big so it's bright and the video feels pretty filled in and solid, and there are no weird artifacts or off feeling things like the upscaling can sometimes do.

But it's easy to experiment, when the new modes came out I tried them all. See what feels good to you.

Then go back to DotsXL because it's best.

#182 8 years ago

Thanks Aurich! I love the ending of your post LOL BTW have we met at PAGG? Not sure?

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Thanks Aurich! I love the ending of your post LOL BTW have we met at PAGG? Not sure?

I've only been to PAGG once, in 2013, so probably not. I need to get back up there.

I wonder how many people are coming south for Arcade Expo in Banning next month? It's gonna be a hell of a show! http://www.arcadeexpo.com

Especially with a major tournament (INDISC) combined with it now.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I seriously am struggling to think how this could be true.
We're talking about thumbnail videos here. A DMD is 128x32 pixels. ( See this for a refresher if needed! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/understanding-dmd-resolution-with-visuals )
But on Iron Man it's even less than that, because it doesn't use the whole 128 width for the videos, with the scores on the left.
So we're talking tremendously tiny videos. There's really no reason to compress them further randomly during a code update that I can think of. Unless they suddenly added a ton more sounds and videos and were pushing up against a storage limit. And to the best of my knowledge that's not the case.

I agree in theory, but I know what I saw. Now I HAVE to go back and see...is the old software still on the stern site?

#185 8 years ago

Just ordered one!
Excited to put my first color DMD in my Iron Man VE! Its my favourite pinball machine, and it's never going anywhere.

Hope the DMD gets here before christmas holidays.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just ordered one!
Excited to put my first color DMD in my Iron Man VE! Its my favourite pinball machine, and it's never going anywhere.

Congrats bud. It's pretty badass. Totally completed the game. It's my first colorized ColorDMD as well

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just ordered one!

First one? Uh oh, that's how it starts.... D:

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

The pictures are identical but maybe the framerate has changed and it is dropping some of the information. I'm sure that the pictures didn't change but something definitely has. It's easily visible on playback.

#189 8 years ago

I put a LED Stern DMD in my spiderman and the videos are much better vs the plasma. I think the red LED dmd through the red filter is causing part of the issue where the videos look like crap.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I put a LED Stern DMD in my spiderman and the videos are much better vs the plasma. I think the red LED dmd through the red filter is causing part of the issue where the videos look like crap.

So the LED DMD makes SM videos look like a slightly sharper smear of dots?

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

First one? Uh oh, that's how it starts.... D:

Well if I decide to keep my ST pro it will get one when available.

But as ST sits with the bugs right now. I am on the fence of selling it.

If spiderman actually comes out with new art and dots. It will make the decision to sell ST a bit easier.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

So the LED DMD makes SM videos look like a slightly sharper smear of dots?

This is a funny conversation. Crap DMD images are crap until they aren't.
If only somebody could give SM the ColorDMD treatment like IM. Pretty please.

#193 8 years ago

I will take some vids next time I am at SM to show the difference.

#194 8 years ago

Just installed, it looks great.

#195 8 years ago

I bet ColorDMD sold a shit ton for IM

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I bet ColorDMD sold a shit ton for IM

Yes, but wait till Tron that's the most modded game since TZ.

#197 8 years ago

We're streaming Iron Man with the Color DMD tonight on Twitch. 8:30 Eastern! http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

We're streaming Iron Man with the Color DMD tonight on Twitch. 8:30 Eastern! http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

Will it be archived? I won't be around to catch it live.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Will it be archived? I won't be around to catch it live.

Probably not to YouTube, but it'll be up for a while in our Twitch VoDs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.50
$ 24.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-iron-man-flies-in-november/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.