(Topic ID: 165492)

ColorDMD Introduces New RGB LED Display!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0695[1] (resized).JPG
    IMGA0694[1] (resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    LED_advertisement_(resized).jpg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just bought one about an hour ago for my T3. How many colors and shades will it display? I'll miss all the display options that are on my Met but it was the only way to get color for T3.

Thanks for the order! Colors and shades are similar to LCD.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Contact Randy. He might be able to adjust your order if he hasn't shipped it yet.

Nah....its all good. Can never have too many displays. :-0

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Nah....its all good. Can never have too many displays. :-0

Spoken like a true color addict

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

For Sterns with the many shades of dots, I think the LCD is ideal because the smoothing effects look so good. But for the older Williams games with only 3 shades the LED might be just as good as the LCD. Just my opinion though.

I'm not sure I follow... How is LCD is better for more colors when LED which has better color reproduction? IIRC the CV I saw in person did have deeper colors. While upscaling can look great in some circumstances, it can falters in others, and the LED will be more consistent in that regard as it has the same pixels as the source material was designed for. The choice is going to be a matter of preference for most people.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I'm not sure I follow... How is LCD is better for more colors when LED which has better color reproduction? IIRC the CV I saw in person did have deeper colors. While upscaling can look great in some circumstances, it can falters in others, and the LED will be more consistent in that regard as it has the same pixels as the source material was designed for. The choice is going to be a matter of preference for most people.

Well you got part of that right, LCD have pixels which are quite a bit smaller then LEDs. One color led has 3 seperate elements in it, a red, green and blue and are huge compared to an lcd pixel.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Thanks for the order! Colors and shades are similar to LCD.

Any word on those HD displays and graphics?

#57 7 years ago

Wow.. this is awesome. ... and it kind of pisses me off that I JUST bought a ColorDMD for my TZ. It hasn't even arrived yet. Eager to hear how it looks once installed.

#58 7 years ago

Great fix for Data East Games ...

#59 7 years ago

Wow! my pocket book can't keep up. Ordered two and had to go get another job.
    Welcome to wal-mart what can I help you with?

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I've found the smoothing effects like the upscaling to look really great in Sterns that have quite a bit more shades of brightness in their dots. The Williams games only have 3 shades of brightness and in my opinion look better without the smoothing effects. Like you said, it's a matter of preference.

#61 7 years ago

Any chance this new RGB led display can now be installed in the sample Willaims IJ pin without removing the jackpot lighting? I was under the impression that the original color dmd display couldn't be installed without losing that lighting.
    Thanks for any input.

#62 7 years ago

Can the brightness be adjusted on the LED screens? What settings apply to it vs. the LCD (I know about lacking hi-res, tile etc.).

#63 7 years ago

actually i just purchased a sigma LCD display for congo.. should i have got this one? 30 clams cheaper?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Here is a video of installing it in a Monopoly (Whitestar) game, which is what T3 is. Granted, this is the LCD display, but the LED will be very similar.
    » YouTube video

Thank you

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The LED display is low voltage and runs off 12V from the power connector near the coin door. The Whitestar DMD controller board needs to be removed from the back of your existing display and will pop on to standoffs on the rear of the ColorDMD LED. You'll also need to unscrew the mounting supports from the original display and use them to mount the ColorDMD LED.

Installation will normally take around 15-20 minutes.

Cool, thank you

#66 7 years ago

So .... Safecracker, when?

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

So .... Safecracker, when?

When it is completed.

#68 7 years ago

Well I guess there are a few I would like; Safecracker, Gilligan's Island and maybe CC. I forgot Shrek.

1 week later
    #69 7 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

actually i just purchased a sigma LCD display for congo.. should i have got this one? 30 clams cheaper?

I waited for the LED for my Congo, but I did see the LCD Sigma (green selected) in a Congo in person. (Butterflygirl's Congo)

Very impressive, so much so I bought a Congo to restore.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only/page/7#post-1913262

I just wanted to try the newest thing (LED) for my Congo since there is no colorization for either yet.

One thing about LCDs is storing in very low or high temperatures can damage them ('liquid' in LCD and all)

Bud

#70 7 years ago

I'm frustrated.

I ordered the LED display to put into Iron Man. The site lists that it's compatible for Whitestar and SAM (Iron Man is SAM). For installation instructions, it only tells you go to the site to download installation instructions. Well, ok, I can do that. Problem is, there's only instructions for Whitestar, not SAM. Ok, well, I know how these things generally work, I can do it. I take off the original DMD, and then I notice that the Color DMD mount doesn't line up with the old screws. Sorry, but I'm not drilling new screw holes that are 1/8th" off of the original holes. It will just cause a wobbly mess and blow out the hole.

So yeah, I can't mount this thing. There's no additional hardware in the bag to rectify the issue, and since there are no instructions on the site, I'm stuck.

COOL!

#71 7 years ago

LED installation for SAM wood panels is the same as Whitestar except there is no need to move the Whitestar board. It doesn't exist.

The hole locations on the LED display are the same as the original DMD. Just move the metal mounts from the old DMD to the LED display and you're good to go.

#73 7 years ago

Well, it doesn't line up with the existing holes. I can send pics, but it just doesn't line up.

Also, do we not have any color ROMs aside from CV, GnR, T3, and Tommy? Are the other games coming along?

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Well, it doesn't line up with the existing holes. I can send pics, but it just doesn't line up.
    Also, do we not have any color ROMs aside from CV, GnR, T3, and Tommy? Are the other games coming along?

Just updated my previous post. The holes are the same as the original DMD display. The two metal mounts that Stern used to mount the original display need to be shifted over to the LED display.

ROM support was discussed in the announcement linked to the original post.

#75 7 years ago

Ah, ok. I'll move the mounts over. That should work.

Thanks

Edit: That announcement post isn't navigable from the main site. I found out about the LED display on the Color DMD site itself, and it doesn't mention that ROMs aren't cross compatible. I found this thread after ordering, and now I'm seeing that I can't use the color. I would make that more clear in the store. As it reads now, it says that you can install a ROM from the library of color ROMs, but doesn't clarify that those are limited only to the ones on the LED display order page.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Ah, ok. I'll move the mounts over. That should work.
    Thanks
    Edit: That announcement post isn't navigable from the main site. I found out about the LED display on the Color DMD site itself, and it doesn't mention that ROMs aren't cross compatible. I found this thread after ordering, and now I'm seeing that I can't use the color. I would make that more clear in the store. As it reads now, it says that you can install a ROM from the library of color ROMs, but doesn't clarify that those are limited only to the ones on the LED display order page.

Email sent.

#77 7 years ago

Dmod,

It seems that it would be an automated process to update ColorDMD LCD ROM files to operate on the ColorDMD LED platform.

Can you provide some insight about the plans and time table involved for using ColorDMD LED displays with all supported games?

Thanks, my ColorDMD LED works great BTW.
    Bud

#78 7 years ago

Looking forward to the library opening up on the LED displays. I have mine installed and it looks great even single color.

Great work Dmod

#79 7 years ago

Big fan of the service and color DMD product ... Installed easily into a Data East game

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#80 7 years ago

This is a suggestion. On the web page where I download firmware updates, it would be great if I could see who the "artist(s)" were for each colorization. If privacy is a concern, it doesn't have to be a name. A pseudonym or just initials would be fine. Why do I want to know? I've discovered there are certain titles where the colorizer(s) hit it out of the park, at least to my eye. For example, I think the Indiana Jones colorization is GREAT (to me it looks like a very talented artist did it). I'd like to know if there are other colorizations done by that person. That would help me decide which games to install a ColorDMD in.

#81 7 years ago

Randy,
    Since you are only releasing a few titles currently that the LED display only fits in, (like t3 because of the RPG) can you release addams family. I want to put one in mine, but dont like the LCD fitment, so id rather have nothing than the LCD in that title. But will gladly put the LED one in once support comes out for it

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

This is a suggestion. On the web page where I download firmware updates, it would be great if I could see who the "artist(s)" were for each colorization. If privacy is a concern, it doesn't have to be a name. A pseudonym or just initials would be fine. Why do I want to know? I've discovered there are certain titles where the colorizer(s) hit it out of the park, at least to my eye. For example, I think the Indiana Jones colorization is GREAT (to me it looks like a very talented artist did it). I'd like to know if there are other colorizations done by that person. That would help me decide which games to install a ColorDMD in.

Whenever they release a title they always come to their thread and say who did it. Just write them down and add more as they are released.

#83 7 years ago

Could always check out the preview videos on their YouTube channel.

#84 7 years ago

Is there ever on the future a display to tackle the Sega line? Baywatch in particular.

#85 7 years ago

Hard to predict the future, it is.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hard to predict the future, it is.

Hilarious that you Yoda'd this up and the game being announced currently is Star Wars and nobody figured it out.

#87 7 years ago

Big fan of the service and color DMD product ... Installed easily into a Data East game

I love the alt Translite

#88 7 years ago

You are so right. I had a color DMD in IJ and it was phenomenal. I currently I have a color DMD in my WH20 and it's meh at best. I'd actually really like to see WH20 redone, I think it's that off the mark. STTNG was great, most are really great, WH20 is the only sub par one I've seen. Roadshow was another excellent job.

I've discovered there are certain titles where the colorizer(s) hit it out of the park, at least to my eye. For example, I think the Indiana Jones colorization is GREAT (to me it looks like a very talented artist did it).

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

You are so right. I had a color DMD in IJ and it was phenomenal. I currently I have a color DMD in my WH20 and it's meh at best. I'd actually really like to see WH20 redone, I think it's that off the mark. STTNG was great, most are really great, WH20 is the only sub par one I've seen. Roadshow was another excellent job.

Whitewater was done pretty early on, wasn't it? The ColorDMD back end capabilities have evolved a lot since then. They may have been hamstrung by what they could do at the time.

#90 7 years ago

Which is okay, I can appreciate that. But I'd like to see it redone.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Whitewater was done pretty early on, wasn't it? The ColorDMD back end capabilities have evolved a lot since then. They may have been hamstrung by what they could do at the time.

#91 7 years ago

We don't plan to publish a list of developer names on the site but a simple search here will turn them up if you really want to find them. If we didn't post a developer name in an announcement, it was colored in-house by Chris or me (Randy).

Some early DMD games have limited content to work with, and developers can only add color to what's already there. WH2O was colorized in-house along with many other titles. Constructive suggestions for improvements can be sent to [email protected] and will be considered.

#92 7 years ago

I personally would be very interested in this for WPC games as Im not a huge fan of the smoothing LCD and oversized LCD installation.

just 0.02

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I personally would be very interested in this for WPC games as Im not a huge fan of the smoothing LCD and oversized LCD installation.
    just 0.02

I currently have one installed in corvette. Installation was a breeze.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

just 0.02

Likewise, I have a red led dmd in my lotr. If I don't trade the game I would be interested in the led version. I have seen the lcd version in person and just never cared for the installation. Not a fault of the designers, just what you have to work with in lcd sizes.

2 weeks later
    #95 7 years ago

I finally installed mine in T3 and man does it look great, I just love it. But now I can't find the original clear plastic that goes over it, I had put a red over the original to make it look better.

IMGA0694[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0694[1] (resized).JPG

IMGA0695[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0695[1] (resized).JPG

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I finally installed mine in T3 and man does it look great, I just love it. But now I can't find the original clear plastic that goes over it, I had put a red over the original to make it look better.

Video please?

#97 7 years ago

Giddy up!

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-introduces-new-rgb-led-display/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.