(Topic ID: 165492)

ColorDMD Introduces New RGB LED Display!

By Dmod

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMGA0695[1] (resized).JPG
    IMGA0694[1] (resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    LED_advertisement_(resized).jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

INTRODUCING OUR NEW RGB LED DISPLAY!

The new ColorDMD LED display contains 128x32 individual RGB LEDs and form factor similar to conventional DMD displays. A pilot production for the new LED display has been completed and will be available for purchase beginning Tuesday, August 2.

For more information about the ColorDMD LED product launch, please visit http://www.colordmd.com/led.html.

LED_advertisement_(resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Nice! Glad I've been procrastinating buying one, looks like I get a free upgrade!

#3 2 years ago

I want to buy two of these, does the old rom files work with the new display? Or does some type of conversion have to be done that hasn't happened yet?

#5 2 years ago

Would this be a good solution for TAF? In other words, can it be installed with no modification to the speaker panel lamp board?

#6 2 years ago

Ha thanks I'm a dork lol.

image_(resized).jpeg

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Would this be a good solution for TAF? In other words, can it be installed with no modification to the speaker panel lamp board?

The current LCD mounting bracket (updated to work with Stern metal speaker panels) can be used with the original TAF lamp board. The display can be mounted in the bottom set of holes so that it is side by side with the lamp board. It just means lowering the speaker panel in order to open/close the backbox door.

#8 2 years ago

"At product launch, only four multicolor titles will be supported."

Disappointing.

#9 2 years ago

Dude, you guys just keep doing more awesome things!!!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

"At product launch, only four multicolor titles will be supported."
    Disappointing.

Yea I was expecting full compatibility, so there's obviously a technical reason behind it that will need to be worked out.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Yea I was expecting full compatibility, so there's obviously a technical reason behind it that will need to be worked out.

Nope, just limiting the scope of the launch and pace of the rollout to keep things manageable. The number of displays in the pilot run is limited so we're initially focusing on the games that are not easily supported with the LCD.

The display was already demonstrated on CV (WPC) and Avengers (SAM) at TPF. The initial rollout includes T3 (Stern Whitestar) and GNR/Tommy (DE Whitestar). That covers all supported platforms.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Nope, just limiting the scope of the launch to keep things manageable.

So is this the new model and you will be depreciating the old?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

So is this the new model and you will be depreciating the old?

I highly highly doubt. People love the regular colordmds this is just another option not a replacement.

#14 2 years ago

Are there any side by side comparisons available for LED and LCD on the same title? I've seen both displays, but on different games.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Are there any side by side comparisons available for LED and LCD on the same title? I've seen both displays, but on different games.

Neither are ColorDMD... but you get the point...

#16 2 years ago

LED displays have been added to the store site.

#17 2 years ago

I don't currently have any color DMD's, but have been considering them. Why would I consider a LED display over the LCD, price only? LCD seems more flexible from what I've seen.

#18 2 years ago

LED is a more robust technology than LCD.

Lower power, longer life, more robust (temperature range).......

IMHO matches original DMD look better and really is enhanced by colorization.

Not to mention the better fit in the cabinet.

Some do really like the smoothing that the LCD allows that is not available on the LED.

Really you should look at both before committing....

#19 2 years ago

I had the prototype in my CV at MGC. I thought it looked awesome.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budwin:

Some do really like the smoothing that the LCD allows that is not available on the LED.

For Sterns with the many shades of dots, I think the LCD is ideal because the smoothing effects look so good. But for the older Williams games with only 3 shades the LED might be just as good as the LCD. Just my opinion though.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budwin:

I don't know about the longer life argument. If you have hundreds of LEDs, one failure is very likely compared to an LCD which has a long life compared with most video screen technologies. Also, it is typically easy to replace the laptop sized LCD screen if it does fail.

Also, neither LED or LCD use a lot of power compared to old CRT's and plasma screens.

#22 2 years ago

I'm kind of amazed the LED is cheaper than the LCD. It seems like there would be more custom work in the LED panel.

#23 2 years ago

waiting for more titles to be converted over. I personally would love to change out my ColorDMD to one for these for my metallica because I don't use anything other than the DOTS or DOTS XL settings

however, with the known ghosting issues with the LED panels, I would need to see how bad this artifacting actually is

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I personally would love to change out my ColorDMD to one for these for my metallica because I don't use anything other than the DOTS or DOTS XL settings

DOTSXL will not be supported on the LED display.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The current LCD mounting bracket (updated to work with Stern metal speaker panels) can be used with the original TAF lamp board. The display can be mounted in the bottom set of holes so that it is side by side with the lamp board. It just means lowering the speaker panel in order to open/close the backbox door.

Ah, OK, didn't know that (current LCD mounting bracket no longer requires modification to the TAF speaker panel lamp board). Is the RGB LED display an even better fit for TAF (i.e. requires no modification to the speaker panel lamp board AND doesn't interfere with the backbox door)?

#26 2 years ago

As soon as DW is supported I will be picking one up. I like the look of the LED display and will fit better

#27 2 years ago

Can't wait until this is available for SC!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Ah, OK, didn't know that (current LCD mounting bracket no longer requires modification to the TAF speaker panel lamp board). Is the RGB LED display an even better fit for TAF (i.e. requires no modification to the speaker panel lamp board AND doesn't interfere with the backbox door)?

Yes, it's a better fit.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Yes, it's a better fit.

Sweet. Let me be the first to vote for LED multicolor support for TAF

#30 2 years ago

FYI. One LED display + 2 LCD display does not equal free shipping. I had to add another LCD to get the free shipping. All that and I am still three displays behind. I am worried the pinball funds will run dry before Family Guy is released.

#31 2 years ago

Won't the LED have true blacks (due to the lamp being totally off), like a real DMD? If so, that's one bonus of the LED display. The LCD's blacks are more of a dark grey.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

FYI. One LED display + 2 LCD display does not equal free shipping. I had to add another LCD to get the free shipping. All that and I am still three displays behind. I am worried the pinball funds will run dry before Family Guy is released.

I imagine this is a bug on the website that needs to be fixed. If you add three of either display seperately it does free ship, my guess is hey haven't programmed the site to recognize the combination of the panels to give free ship.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Won't the LED have true blacks (due to the lamp being totally off), like a real DMD? If so, that's one bonus of the LED display. The LCD's blacks are more of a dark grey.

Here's a quote from Randy in the other thread ...

Quoted from Dmod:

As an active display, colors are definitely brighter and more vibrant. Black level in a dark room is much better as there's no backlight. However, the faces of the LEDs themselves are white, so in a lit room the black level isn't as good. The panels themselves look gray.

#34 2 years ago

I fixed the shipping threshold after seeing Steve's post. Should work now for any mix.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I fixed the shipping threshold after seeing Steve's post. Should work now for any mix.

Sure....now you fix it after I had to boost my order to four displays.

No worries at all. Great product and appreciate all the hard work. Insert shameless plug for a Family Guy ColorDMD here.

#36 2 years ago

I've been holding out for these since I saw them at TPF, and the price is a nice surprise! Here's hoping LED ColorDMD ROMs are released soon for The Shadow and STTNG (and White Water, if someone would be interested in trading me an LED in exchange for my "more valuable" LCD)!

#37 2 years ago

I personally will be buying the LED displays over the LCD ones if they're still available once support for my games is added to them and if they're kicked into higher production.

#38 2 years ago

Yeah....I love the LED option! Seems more.....authentic.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Sure....now you fix it after I had to boost my order to four displays.
    No worries at all. Great product and appreciate all the hard work. Insert shameless plug for a Family Guy ColorDMD here.

Contact Randy. He might be able to adjust your order if he hasn't shipped it yet.

#40 2 years ago

Just ordered one for my CV, can't wait to get it it!

#41 2 years ago

For places where the new LED display fits where the old ones didn't (CV) it's a no brainer. Otherwise I think it's just a personal preference, and I would argue it's even about the particular title. Neither looks "better", just different.

I love my LCD CDMD displays in my games, but I kinda wish my Tron had the new LED look instead, that's a game where I miss the more bright and piercing feel of the original dots. LCD looks great, but doesn't have the same glowing brightness, and Tron fits that look. Alternately though I'm not sure I would want to swap on say Shadow, where the LCD fits the art and feel of the game I think.

If I had to sum up the key difference I'd say LCD has a little more clarity, LED has more punch.

Either way you can't lose, ColorDMD support is second to none.

#42 2 years ago

Only 25 left available for the first batch. Ya better order now.

#43 2 years ago

Now only 15 LED displays left.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Now only 15 LED displays left.

You are a maniac.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

You are a maniac.

I did not order that many. I was playing with the store to find out how many were left by adding them to my cart.

#46 2 years ago

Please forgive me if i haven't researched enough or this is a stupid question but. ..the new t3 display is plug and play? I have only replaced newer dmds with the same type and thought the older ones ran on high voltage and there had to be modification to the power supply or something.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brazy:

the new t3 display is plug and play?

Plug and play as a Sigma display so you'll have a choice of one color that you want it to be. It is easy to install in Stern games. Just have to update the display with the T3 color ROM once it gets released. That only takes a minute to do.

#48 2 years ago

Here is a video of installing it in a Monopoly (Whitestar) game, which is what T3 is. Granted, this is the LCD display, but the LED will be very similar.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brazy:

Please forgive me if i haven't researched enough or this is a stupid question but. ..the new t3 display is plug and play? I have only replaced newer dmds with the same type and thought the older ones ran on high voltage and there had to be modification to the power supply or something.

The LED display is low voltage and runs off 12V from the power connector near the coin door. The Whitestar DMD controller board needs to be removed from the back of your existing display and will pop on to standoffs on the rear of the ColorDMD LED. You'll also need to unscrew the mounting supports from the original display and use them to mount the ColorDMD LED.

Installation will normally take around 15-20 minutes.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

LED displays have been added to the store site.

Just bought one about an hour ago for my T3. How many colors and shades will it display? I'll miss all the display options that are on my Met but it was the only way to get color for T3.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 239.00
    $ 279.95
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside