Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3294 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3285 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3272 (resized).jpg
IMG_3274 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I just installed a ColorDMD LED on my AC/DC this afternoon. I figured this would be a great Labor Day project and I know this should be a fairly easy install (one ribbon cable and one power cable; mount to speaker panel) but when I powered up to test it out, I initially heard a weird screech from the speakers and the ColorDMD is just blank. None of the indicator leds is lit either. I assume this is a power issue? Per the directions, I disconnected the original power source and routed the included power harness to the aux power source at the front of the machine. I checked around and no fuses appear to be blown.

One other piece of relevant info: I have a speaker led kit installed as well and had that powered with a pigtail off the aux power source. I had an open pigtail and used that initially for the ColorDMD. When that didn't work, I plugged the ColorDMD directly into the power source (bypassing the pigtail) but still no power apparently as the screen is still blank and no indicator leds are lit.

Any suggestions on what may have happened and/or how to get it to work? Thanks in advance!

Tom

#2 5 years ago

You need to test the fuses with a meter. Looking at them only finds very obvious blown ones.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

So I just installed a ColorDMD LED on my AC/DC this afternoon. I figured this would be a great Labor Day project and I know this should be a fairly easy install (one ribbon cable and one power cable; mount to speaker panel) but when I powered up to test it out, I initially heard a weird screech from the speakers and the ColorDMD is just blank. None of the indicator leds is lit either. I assume this is a power issue? Per the directions, I disconnected the original power source and routed the included power harness to the aux power source at the front of the machine. I checked around and no fuses appear to be blown.
One other piece of relevant info: I have a speaker led kit installed as well and had that powered with a pigtail off the aux power source. I had an open pigtail and used that initially for the ColorDMD. When that didn't work, I plugged the ColorDMD directly into the power source (bypassing the pigtail) but still no power apparently as the screen is still blank and no indicator leds are lit.
Any suggestions on what may have happened and/or how to get it to work? Thanks in advance!
Tom

Check your ribbon cable going into the dmd, it’s likely on backwards.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You need to test the fuses with a meter. Looking at them only finds very obvious blown ones.

I will give that a try, thanks.

Quoted from Lermods:

Check your ribbon cable going into the dmd, it’s likely on backwards.

I checked the cable and the red stripe is towards the top of the ColorDMD so I think that is ok.

#5 5 years ago

You may have shorted 12V on the power cable to ground. Check to see if either of the fuses for 12V is out on the power driver board.

#6 5 years ago

I checked visible fuses with a meter and they seem to be ok. Different readings on the meter, I assume from different ratings on the fuses. If there is any indication other than 0 ohms, the fuse is good, correct?

Quoted from Dmod:

You may have shorted 12V on the power cable to ground. Check to see if either of the fuses for 12V is out on the power driver board.

Which ones are these specifically? Maybe I will just swap them out with new fuses to confirm. Of course, if this was the problem, I am concerned what caused it to begin with. I did make sure I reconnected the grounding wires on the display beforehand.

#7 5 years ago

Check fuses with a meter set to continuity. A good fuse will beep with leads on either end. A bad one won’t.

#8 5 years ago

Tom

Pictures of all the connectors on both ends of each one will help.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pictures of all the connectors on both ends of each one will help.

IMG_3272 (resized).jpgIMG_3272 (resized).jpgIMG_3274 (resized).jpgIMG_3274 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

Not sure what that adapter is with the yellow/red wires but it appears to not be correct. That power connector has the wires reversed. Black (ground) should go to black.

If yellow on that adapter is 12V, it’s crossing wires and shorting 12V into the ground plane of the ColorDMD board. Since the ColorDMD is also grounded through the video ribbon cable to the CPU board, it would essentially short out the 12V supply and likely blow fuses.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Not sure what that adapter is with the yellow/red wires but it appears to not be correct. That power connector has the wires reversed. Black (ground) should go to black.

Well, that would explain it! That adapter is a pigtail I bought years ago I think for the speaker led mod. I never used that particular pigtail line before. I guess the other pigtail is wired correctly since I have been using it for years with no problem. I never thought to check the wires themselves--just assumed it was good.

Hopefully it is just fuses and not anything worse...thanks for pointing that out though.

#12 5 years ago

Well, that would explain it! That adapter is a pigtail I bought years ago I think for the speaker led mod. I never used that particular pigtail line before. I guess the other pigtail is wired correctly since I have been using it for years with no problem. I never thought to check the wires themselves--just assumed it was good.
Hopefully it is just fuses and not anything worse...thanks for pointing that out though.

Pictures for the win!

#13 5 years ago

So I took a closer look at the pigtail. There are three pigtails--two of the pigtails were wired correctly, but the third one (the one I tapped into for this) was incorrect. I bought a few of these pigtails and have them installed on some of my other machines. I will inspect those as well to make sure any unused pigtails were manufactured correctly.

Haven't had a chance to replace fuses yet, but something must be out, because I have no sound either now. I hope that nothing is actually fried. All the other lights, etc. on the machine seem to be fine.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Check fuses with a meter set to continuity. A good fuse will beep with leads on either end. A bad one won’t.

Turns out I blew both audio 5 amp slo-blow fuses. Replaced those. Then re-pinned the pigtail correctly and hooked everything back up.

With fingers crossed, I flipped on the power switch--success! ColorDMD looks fantastic and nothing was fried!

Thank you Pinside and everyone who talked me through figuring this one out!

IMG_3284 (resized).jpegIMG_3284 (resized).jpegIMG_3285 (resized).jpegIMG_3285 (resized).jpegIMG_3294 (resized).jpegIMG_3294 (resized).jpeg
#15 5 years ago

Turns out I blew both audio 5 amp slo-blow fuses. Replaced those. Then re-pinned the pigtail correctly and hooked everything back up.
With fingers crossed, I flipped on the power switch--success! ColorDMD looks fantastic and nothing was fried!
Thank you Pinside and everyone who talked me through figuring this one out!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you using the latest code, I've heard some graphic won't work

#16 5 years ago

Hmmm...I haven't posted the latest code yet--was going to after I completed this. Does anybody know for sure about this?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

If you using the latest code, I've heard some graphic won't work

We have the latest code on a LTBR LE machine with colorDMD. Haven't noticed any graphical glitches.

#18 5 years ago

Excellent! Perhaps I will update the software tomorrow. I had been waiting for the update to the update, but I guess that isn't happening any time soon!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
16,500 (Firm)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-install-on-ac-dc?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.