Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4407.jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Now that ColorDMD has done Xmen I am going to order one. But I just recently picked up a LOTR. Now I'm torn on which game to put it in? Will LOTR look better with a ColorDMD or will Xmen? If I choose LOTR I will have to order without the stern bracket right? And if I choose Xmen I will need to order with the stern bracket. Can someone who owns both or has a ColorDMD in a LOTR please chime in and help me decide? Thanks so much.

#2 8 years ago

BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH

I'm pretty sure Stern ColorDMDs come with everything you need for either SAM or Whitestar.

#3 8 years ago

I have one in my LOTR. It looks sick. They did an outstanding job on it. So much so that, 10 min ago, I just ordered one for Xmen...

So I guess I am with Rarehero. BOTH!

#4 8 years ago

Both for sure, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'd probably actually go with XM just because of the sheer volume of animations, of course it does look awesome in LOTR as well.

Yeah, both.

#5 8 years ago

Lotr looks amazing. makes destroying the ring that much cooler. Xmen looks ok I guess

#6 8 years ago

No additional parts are required for mounting in LOTR or XMEN. Everything is included, and the same display works in both games.

Only new Stern games that shipped with metal speaker panels (ST, IM, MET PRO LED, etc) require the extra parts (clear display shield and hex standoffs).

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH
I'm pretty sure Stern ColorDMDs come with everything you need for either SAM or Whitestar.

Ok so that is amazing! If I order one for LOTR, I can also throw it in Xmen without any additional hardware and see what it looks like in both?

#8 8 years ago

I don't own XMEN but I just played an Xmen LE and the animations would look spectacular in color. I have a LOTR with color DMD and its crazy how great it is. I say go both. But if you had to choose, I would go with whatever game you play the most. Good luck!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok so that is amazing! If I order one for LOTR, I can also throw it in Xmen without any additional hardware and see what it looks like in both?

That's correct. The same display works in any supported Stern game. Games with metal speaker panels require the clear shield and standoffs (sold separately).

The same display will also work in supported WPC games with the addition of a WPC installation kit.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH

They do. I have a Color DMD in my ACDC which im pretty sure is Sam. Whereas LOTR is Whitestar, which was more work for the installation but the directions were great and came with all parts necessary for install on either system.

#12 8 years ago

Just ordered one. It came to $600 Canadian dollars with the exchange and probably another $80 duties when I pick it up at the post office. So almost $700, ouch! I feel like I live in Australia. But I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

I will put it in LOTR first to see what it looks like then switch it to Xmen, then decide.

#13 8 years ago

I have not seen it in XM yet, but I have one in my LOTR and absolutely LOVE it. In fact I think I have liked ColorDMD a lot in every game I've seen it in.

#14 8 years ago

For the people that have a ColorDMD in their LOTR. Does it look better on dots or with the smoothing/upscaling on? I watched videos of both and to me the original dots look better but it is hard to tell from a video.

#15 8 years ago

For the people that have a ColorDMD in their LOTR. Does it look better on dots or with the smoothing/upscaling on? I watched videos of both and to me the original dots look better but it is hard to tell from a video.

For me, upscaling. The problem for me with the dots is that because fewer pixels are lit on the LCD, the display just looks dimmer when next to other displays. The good news is it is very easy to cycle through the different modes and see what you like best.

Be very careful with the ColorDMDs. You put one in one machine then you start thinking about how nice all your machines would look if you got rid of all the orange and red monochrome displays. Starts to hurt the wallet.

#16 8 years ago

So far every ColorDMD machine I've seen has looked amazing. LOTR is no exception.

#17 8 years ago

while both look better in color, I think that you're going to be more impressed with it in x-men. the reason being is that LotR is a whitestar title, and like the b/w titles, there were a limited number of colors that could be applied per frame (9 or 12 max, I believe).

with the SAM titles (ad/dc, metallica and now x-men), the 15 levels of luminosity is preserved in the frames including the addition of color, giving each frame up to 193 unique colors (or much more depth to the colorizing). just my opinion

#18 8 years ago

Dots XL. Smoothing looks like weird bad graphics....Dots XL looks like awesome retro pixel art.

Quoted from paul_8788:

The problem for me with the dots is that because fewer pixels are lit on the LCD, the display just looks dimmer when next to other displays.

Dots XL pretty much solves this...but yeah, it's easy enough to scroll through the different options (there's also Tile and 8-bit) ...see which you like best.

#19 8 years ago

Wow! When did the color DMD come out for X-Men?

IMG_4407.jpgIMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4401.jpgIMG_4401.jpg

#20 8 years ago

That modded Wolverine looks like he's reacting to getting hit in the balls lol

#21 8 years ago

Where is the firmware update link for Xmen? I am not seeing it on their website.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Where is the firmware update link for Xmen? I am not seeing it on their website.

Next weekend.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Dots XL. Smoothing looks like weird bad graphics....Dots XL looks like awesome retro pixel art.

Dots XL pretty much solves this...but yeah, it's easy enough to scroll through the different options (there's also Tile and 8-bit) ...see which you like best.

ok, dots XL it is. Thanks a bunch!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Only new Stern games that shipped with metal speaker panels (ST, IM, MET PRO LED, etc) require the extra parts (clear display shield and hex standoffs).

Are the DMD's shipping with the extra parts for those games yet, or are the separate?

"The current bracket shipped with new displays works with both old and new Stern backboxes. New brackets may also be purchased separately to update/relocate older displays for use with Stern games."

#26 8 years ago

To the OP. You have lots of great advice in this thread. I will sum it up in one post.

When you order for the SAM/Whitestar it will work in either.

I moved mine from LOTR to AC/DC to try the new AC/DC code. Looked too fantastic to remove.

When in LOTR the DotsXL looked fantastic.

Both games needed a ColorDMD.

So you need two. That sums it up.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

To the OP. You have lots of great advice in this thread. I will sum it up in one post.
When you order for the SAM/Whitestar it will work in either.
I moved mine from LOTR to AC/DC to try the new AC/DC code. Looked too fantastic to remove.
When in LOTR the DotsXL looked fantastic.
Both games needed a ColorDMD.
So you need two. That sums it up.

Yeah I agree. But I will wait until the Canadian dollar bounces back before I buy my second, third, fourth and so on

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Are the DMD's shipping with the extra parts for those games yet, or are the separate?
"The current bracket shipped with new displays works with both old and new Stern backboxes. New brackets may also be purchased separately to update/relocate older displays for use with Stern games."

The bracket is included. The Pinbits shield and hex standoffs are sold as a separate kit on the ACCESSORIES page of our store. The Pinbits shield and hex standoffs add extra cost that are not needed for most supported games.

#29 8 years ago

DotsXL for the win.

LOTR is a great game to put a colorDMD into. As a player, you'll get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the enhanced animations on the display.

#30 8 years ago

Do Both !!! there both well deserving and both my favourites!!!

#31 8 years ago

I say buy 3 to save on shipping. One for LOTR, one for Xmen, and one to run sigma on any machine because it looks awesome. Then when the next colorization comes out, you already have one.

I took mine out of NGG and its already in XMLE waiting for the update.

#32 8 years ago

I feel like I live in Australia.

Canada..
image.jpgimage.jpg
Australia..
image.jpgimage.jpg

#33 8 years ago

Just ordered one. It came to $600 Canadian dollars with the exchange and probably another $80 duties when I pick it up at the post office. So almost $700, ouch! I feel like I live in Australia. But I'm sure it will be worth it in the end
I will put it in LOTR first to see what it looks like then switch it to Xmen, then decide.

This is why I don't know if I'll ever get into these. It was bad enough on par, with shipping, when I was facing $500 each more or less, and having to consider if I replace one, it will look odd, so I'll likely have to do all of my machines. Now that it will be $700++, with 24 DMDs... Yikes.

Great product, and done well, but I'm hoping the parts to do the DIY and the opportunity for a super bulk buy solves this for me down the road.

Also, glad you got a LOTR, HUO? LE? Make sure you DON'T us the POTD diverter onto the metal ramp, just buy all the protectors for the shire!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

This is why I don't know if I'll ever get into these. It was bad enough on par, with shipping, when I was facing $500 each more or less, and having to consider if I replace one, it will look odd, so I'll likely have to do all of my machines. Now that it will be $700++, with 24 DMDs... Yikes.
Great product, and done well, but I'm hoping the parts to do the DIY and the opportunity for a super bulk buy solves this for me down the road.
Also, glad you got a LOTR, HUO? LE? Make sure you DON'T us the POTD diverter onto the metal ramp, just buy all the protectors for the shire!

No o picked up the crappy pro instead it came with the POTD plastic diverted installed so it always drops on the metal ramp. Why shouldn't I use it?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#35 8 years ago

No o picked up the crappy pro instead it came with the POTD plastic diverted installed so it always drops on the metal ramp. Why shouldn't I use it?

Because you won't gather souls as quickly, which are needed to start RotK MB.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Because you won't gather souls as quickly, which are needed to start RotK MB.

Maybe I don't understand the rules enough yet. You still collect souls with the diverter installed. It just diverts the ball to the metal ramp AFTER you collect souls. It stops the ball from dropping into the shire hole. Do you collect extra souls of it drops into the shire hole after you collect souls?

#37 8 years ago

Maybe I don't understand the rules enough yet. You still collect souls with the diverter installed. It just diverts the ball to the metal ramp AFTER you collect souls. It stops the ball from dropping into the shire hole. Do you collect extra souls of it drops into the shire hole after you collect souls?

Exactly. You can collect extra souls in the Shire.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. You can collect extra souls in the Shire.

Ah sweet! Thanks man, I'll remove it right away.

#39 8 years ago

Wait, do you plastics protectors? If not, wait on ordering those, as the arwen plastic gets hammered and breaks. The protector set has two for that one to sandwich it in. There is also an insert for the shire, and a Cliffy for it, and a clear in pinbits protector for the wood rail as well.

As Rob stated, there are massive souls in there, especially the second and third time through loading up rotk mb. I question if anyone has got to valinor with this protector, you would have a hard road with it for sure.

Congrats on the pickup. It's a super machine. I am usually close to valinor each game now, with only andand aways the rotk mb needed to be beaten. I have to refine how I approach that....

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wait, do you plastics protectors? If not, wait on ordering those, as the arwen plastic gets hammered and breaks. The protector set has two for that one to sandwich it in. There is also an insert for the shire, and a Cliffy for it, and a clear in pinbits protector for the wood rail as well.
As Rob stated, there are massive souls in there, especially the second and third time through loading up rotk mb. I question if anyone has got to valinor with this protector, you would have a hard road with it for sure.
Congrats on the pickup. It's a super machine. I am usually close to valinor each game now, with only andand aways the rotk mb needed to be beaten. I have to refine how I approach that....

Yes it came with all the plastic protectors and all the cliffy's and every LOTR mod already installed and a brand new plastic set installed as well. They didn't put any of the underneath protectors on though because they said they wouldn't fit (they were included in the sale so I have them). This is because he didn't want to drill holes in the brand new plastics he used the LE clear top plastics to hold the figures in. So with those top plastics and stock plastics he said the underneath plastics wouldn't fit? Although I haven't tried installing them yet so who knows?

#41 8 years ago

I have always used the POTD diverter on my game and I don't see a significant difference in gameplay. I always seem to get the MB's lit in chronological order which is kind of cool. After I am done with Two Towers I am usually just lacking a few hundred souls.

As for the original question.....I think the ColorDMD is a must buy for LOTR, that said I was able to help John do a lot of testing on his machine while he was working the coloring for Xmen and it looks freaking awesome on that game. Those animations were made for color.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have always used the POTD diverter on my game and I don't see a significant difference in gameplay. I always seem to get the MB's lit in chronological order which is kind of cool. After I am done with Two Towers I am usually just lacking a few hundred souls.

It becomes a much bigger deal the second time around, when you need to start RotK again to finish it off before getting to Valinor.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It becomes a much bigger deal the second time around, when you need to start RotK again to finish it off before getting to Valinor.

Yeah, I'm a shit player (I'm no SKB), so I took off the diverter and sure enough the shire is pretty lucrative for souls! I'm sure a really good player wouldn't notice but I did.

#44 8 years ago

Order three and get free shipping!! FYI

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

How many times have you been to Valinor? If you have not, and you have been close, I bet it's ROTK that was still in your way.

The problem *isn't* getting there once for ROTK. That isn't assisted all that much with souls from the shire, as when they start dropping in there, they give 150, 200, and increase. No biggie the first round, as there are so many points in the POTD switches, which are constantly lit with 500 or 250.

The problem is that it’s extremely hard, and I mean REALLY hard to beat ROTK in the first shot. I did this once, and for comparison at this point for me, I beat FOTR MB about 80% of the time now, and I feel like a dolt if I don’t beat TTT each time.

So getting the souls the second and third time, the lights for the POTD are not lit as well, and it starts to take 2-3 times the entries there to get what you had before, HOWEVER, the shire souls is still slowly increasing, and by the third round and above (which I usually need to have a chance to beat it, as it remembers where you left off the prior round), I’ve seen souls values in there reach 800, 850, which really help in offsetting the lack of souls you are not getting lit on the POTD.

So again, while you may not see the value if you are usually only starting ROTK once, and not getting close to Valinor yet, trust this advice, as you will have the “big game” eventually, and that little protector may be the cock block to Valinor you kick yourself about for the rest of your pinball days.

I love protectors, but I think I was the first to really start talking about how this one doesn’t have to be there if you protect the shire good enough, and how it will limit your ability to get to Valinor. Many knew it restricted the souls, but many didn’t (and still don’t) realize how that actually translates down the road for beating ROTK.

(EDIT - I forgot I have the settings on mine set slightly harder for all the MBs, so I believe the lighting I get round one is equivalent to the lighting the default gives for the POTD frequency the second round for 500s and 250s)

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

How many times have you been to Valinor? If you have not, and you have been close, I bet it's ROTK that was still in your way.

I an no where near good enough to even think about getting to Valinor so it really isn't an issue for me. The way the ball just plunks down there off of the Arwen plastic just feels so clunky, like it wasn't very well thought out. Everybody can do whatever they want, I will just keep on pluggin' along the hard way I guess

#47 8 years ago

Ah sweet! Thanks man, I'll remove it right away.

I put the diverter on my game, it's worth the ball clunking around all over the place by just making a few more deliberate ramp shots.

-c

#48 8 years ago

I'll just leave this here

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I an no where near good enough to even think about getting to Valinor so it really isn't an issue for me. The way the ball just plunks down there off of the Arwen plastic just feels so clunky, like it wasn't very well thought out. Everybody can do whatever they want, I will just keep on pluggin' along the hard way I guess

Sure you are, but you have to be focused on every shot, every opportunity. Bump this if it happens, but one day you will have "that game" where you were close, and you will start to consider how you can make it all come together better for another shot at it. A BIG key is always shooting the left orbit for POTD shots when the balls comes in the right inlane. If there is one strategy you ever stick to, do that.

The closer you get, the more addictive it gets. I never thought I would have a prayer at Valinor when I got that game, and thought only guys like Bowen got this stuff.

Quoted from CraigC:

I put the diverter on my game, it's worth the ball clunking around all over the place by just making a few more deliberate ramp shots.
-c

This is LOTR. Rob and I have discussed this aspect before, but LOTR is designed to play, IMO, like a brutal clash. The POTD fires the ball against the wall, so does the right ramp. The ball is *made* to fall into the shire from above, and the fact that souls are awarded is evident of that, by design. Having said that, you need, as you do to pretty much with all Sterns, to take it into your own hands to properly protect some of the problematic issues and wear areas, but that diverter essentially changes the gameplay design slightly, and it's one that unfortunately puts a roadblock on finishing ROTK, and thus a roadblock to Valinor.

In any case, I've said my piece, do with it as you want to anyone reading. If you don't think you have a shot, ever, at reaching Valinor (cough, loser talk! - and by that I mean it is attainable for you!), and you prefer a clean ball return, the loss of souls won't matter either way.

#50 8 years ago

I bought the protector many years ago that is a one piece clear plastic ramp that comes off the end and down to a square dish inside Hobbiton. Been there for 10 years and works perfect. I don't know why they stopped making them but my Arwen plastic is perfect and the Hobbiton hole is not chewed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-in-xmen-or-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.