Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jgaltr56
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0266.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

One of the issues that comes up with ColorDMD is the relatively poor contrast (i.e. washed out black levels) compared with an LED or plasma display. The issue actually isn't that the LCD isn't capable of good contrast, it's that the viewing angle as it's mounted in a WPC game isn't what the manufacturer intended. On a laptop computer, you always tilt the screen back until it's facing you to get the best picture, not at 90 degrees, which is what you get on WPC panels.

The solution is rather simple, angle the LCD so that it's facing you, rather than your belt buckle.
    The mounting instructions has us mount the short white spacers first, then the ColorDMD, then the tall black spacers, then the hex nuts. Keep this mounting order for the bottom screws, but for the top, stack the black and white spacers and then put the ColorDMD on top. You won't be able to get the hex nuts on, so you could simply reverse the order of the black and white spacers, but you wouldn't get as much angle. I find that it's plenty secure with just the bottom nuts, and the angle is helping to hold it in place anyway.

EDIT: I added rubber washers to the stack and the picture is even better. Awesome! No room to angle it anymore than that.

Stack black and white spacers underneath ColorDMDStack black and white spacers underneath ColorDMD
    ColorDMD mounted at an angle, top nuts do not fitColorDMD mounted at an angle, top nuts do not fit

The results are very noticeable, even by my camera.

Original viewing angleOriginal viewing angle
    Improved viewing angleImproved viewing angle

You'll also need to perform a -1 vertical adjustment on the ColorDMD.
    I also found that to get the entire panel in and out of it's resting position in the backbox, you'll need to open the light board panel.

It would seem that newer Sterns with the tilted displays already have this problem solved for you.

#2 9 years ago

Nice, thanks for the tip and thorough instructions

#3 9 years ago

Damn dude. You might have found an actual reason for me to pull my TNG out from it's corner...

#4 9 years ago

Very nice. I may do the same now.

#5 9 years ago

Since the hex nuts won't go back on, how are you preventing vibration?

Adding longer screws might help as well.

#6 9 years ago

I added a rubber washer to angle it back a little more and it helps even more.
    It seems the shorter you are, the better the picture will be. I'm about 5'11" and it's not quite inky black but certainly acceptable now. My older display from 2 years ago is definitely better but now they're much closer. I couldn't do the vertical adjust on the old display but it has old ROM code, need to update.

Rubber washer added on top of stackRubber washer added on top of stack

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Since the hex nuts won't go back on, how are you preventing vibration?
    Adding longer screws might help as well.

It's very snug with just the bottom nuts attached. The only problem I thought about is that it might collect dust on the screen eventually, but probably being in an enclosed environment it won't be a problem.

#8 9 years ago

Should all color ROMs have a vertical adjustment? The only menu option I have is brightness, unless it's just that I don't know how to navigate the menu. I have a TAF ROM installed (2.1, which is the latest).

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Should all color ROMs have a vertical adjustment? The only menu option I have is brightness, unless it's just that I don't know how to navigate the menu. I have a TAF ROM installed (2.1, which is the latest).

My STTNG doesn't and I just upgraded, but my IJ does.

#10 9 years ago

Hopefully, they add it for TAF. It works for ST:TNG since the DMD was already sitting a little low. For TAF, the top line was cut off a little from my vantage point, so I'll wait until I can adjust it down through the ColorDMD (if they provide that capability in a future TAF ROM).

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

My STTNG doesn't and I just upgraded

For real..... /facepalm

#12 9 years ago

With recent feature upgrades, we need to do a little work to regenerate the older ROMs (and make sure we don't break anything). We'll try to start rolling these out soon.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

With recent feature upgrades, we need to do a little work to regenerate the older ROMs (and make sure we don't break anything). We'll try to start rolling these out soon.

Excellent.

1 week later
    #14 9 years ago

Hi,
    how do yyou perform a -1 vertical adjustment on the ColorDMD.

thanks..

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinwaz:

Hi,
    how do yyou perform a -1 vertical adjustment on the ColorDMD.
    thanks..

There are four buttons on the back. Right most should be the menu button. Hit that until you see the settting you want. The other buttons are toggle up, toggle down, and save.

They have manuals for all systems on their website.

From the WPC manual:

Locate and press the right-most ColorDMD Menu button (See Fig. F) STEP 15 to customize the display settings.

For additional information regarding display settings please visit our website at www.colordmd.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-improve-your-contrast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.