(Topic ID: 141545)

ColorDMD Help - USB Stick?

By NickBuffaloPinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I had the hardest time getting my colorDMD to except my USB stick. Their site says to use one that's less than 8GB. I'm wondering if someone could recommend a good USB stick that's guaranteed to work?

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I had the hardest time getting my colorDMD to except my USB stick. Their site says to use one that's less than 8GB. I'm wondering if someone could recommend a good USB stick that's guaranteed to work?

How did it not work? If it sits there and never completes process, make sure you have the file name correct..for example, if you have d/l more than 1 ColorDmd file your latest file could have a (1) or(2) in front of it--it won't accept that.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Wickerman2 is correct, make sure the name is exactly as it is when downloaded. I believe the file name is something like colordmd. Also make sure the file is on the parent directory of the memory stick. I have a designated memory stick just for system updates. I clear everything off and only put the file I need on the stick to do the firmware upgrades to my machines. I believe my memory stick is a Kingston 4GB?

Here is a video I did explaining the process :

Fast Forward to 4:40 in the Video :

#4 8 years ago

I actually ran into this problem a couple of weeks ago. I tried 3 different USB drives, all that were formatted correctly (FAT32) and with the correctly spelled file name. I contacted Randy at ColorDMD and he told me that there was a batch of DMD's that had a issues with the USB ground pin having a bad connection (he verified mine was one of them by looking up my serial number). He told me that reflowing the pin with a soldering iron usually restores connection. He emailed me instructions on how to do it and I felt comfortable doing it. Followed the instructions, reflowed the pin and now the USB drive is working! He also offered to fix everything if I wasn't comfortable doing it myself. So if you still can't get it to work, I would send an email to Randy and he can look up your serial number to see if you have one of the faulty displays. Just a thought.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

How did it not work? If it sits there and never completes process, make sure you have the file name correct..for example, if you have d/l more than 1 ColorDmd file your latest file could have a (1) or(2) in front of it--it won't accept that.

This! Just happened to me and had to delete the file and re download. Then worked within 10 seconds or so.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from RefugeNate:

I actually ran into this problem a couple of weeks ago. I tried 3 different USB drives, all that were formatted correctly (FAT32) and with the correctly spelled file name. I contacted Randy at ColorDMD and he told me that there was a batch of DMD's that had a issues with the USB ground pin having a bad connection (he verified mine was one of them by looking up my serial number). He told me that reflowing the pin with a soldering iron usually restores connection. He emailed me instructions on how to do it and I felt comfortable doing it. Followed the instructions, reflowed the pin and now the USB drive is working! He also offered to fix everything if I wasn't comfortable doing it myself. So if you still can't get it to work, I would send an email to Randy and he can look up your serial number to see if you have one of the faulty displays. Just a thought.

Thank you. I suspect this may be my problem. I just kept trying with the same USB stick and it finally ended up working. I have to update again, that's why I'm asking.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from RefugeNate:

good to know thx for posting

#8 8 years ago

USB headers can easily be reflowed, I've done it.

#9 8 years ago

I had a similar issue when I just installed mine in FT. I realized, though, that I was formatting as NTFS rather than FAT32. Reformatted correctly, copied the file, and it read perfectly.

#10 8 years ago

Wow usually Windows will flat out refuse to format removable media as NTFS.

3 weeks later
    #11 8 years ago
    Quoted from RefugeNate:

Updating this thread as I just had the exact same problem. I bought a game with a colordmd already installed and attempted to move the colordmd to another game, and it would not do a firmware update. I verified everything was working correctly on the card according to the instructions on the colordmd website, but it just wouldn't recognize the USB stick was inserted. I knew it worked because I had successfully used it on other games, just not with this specific colordmd.

I found this thread and contacted Randy with a pic of my serial number, and he instantly replied with the instructions. Took a few minutes to check (for lack of continuity), reflow the USB ground, check for continuity, and now it was recognizing the USB drive and the firmware update worked!

Hopefully anyone else who has this problem will search on pinside or contact colordmd and not bang their head for hours trying to figure it out!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-help-usb-stick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.