Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5206 (resized).jpg
    gb_mounted (resized).JPG
    gb_standoff (resized).JPG
    gasket (resized).JPG
    GB_w_Posts (resized).JPG
    LOTR_w_spacers_side (resized).JPG
    LOTR_w_spacers_front (resized).JPG
    LOTR_attached_front (resized).JPG
    LOTR_attached_side (resized).JPG
    4EE58A3E-45D2-4CCE-9E93-EF8D1682236D (resized).jpeg
    8A4B140C-9115-4560-B8DD-11103077436A (resized).jpeg
    6CF346FB-A3D2-435A-8A00-EBAB61FE032B (resized).jpeg
    63C72945-D460-4653-91BD-95F421F7B852 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    dmd-stretch (resized).jpg

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

This took a LOT longer than expected because I wanted foam that was as safe as possible in an electronic device - so heat resistant, flame resistant, and UV resistant, without costing $50 each. I finally have these completed with the 3/4" thick foam hybrid (EDIT: final foam thickness is 7/8") that ticks all the marks for safety. I installed one of the three pre-production samples and the result was great (see pics below).

These are available four places:
    1. My pinside store, Pin Monk
    2. On pinmonk.com
    3. ColorDMD.com
    4. Planetarypinball.com

If you're international, you need to order from 2-4, the pinmonk store here isn't set up for international.

Here's a Game of Thrones Premium I just did with the latest pre-production samples.

Before installation, speaker lights and backglass light bleeds onto screen from the sides, and back of screen gets dusty:
    BeforeBefore
    LEFT SIDE BEFORE (resized).jpgLEFT SIDE BEFORE (resized).jpg

Gasket drops in over the small black spacers on each post and the metal standoffs ColorDMD provides with their standoff kit:
    Gasket InstallGasket Install

After Installation of gasket - light bleed is gone, and the installation looks much cleaner:
    AfterAfter
    got-LEFT-SIDE (resized).jpggot-LEFT-SIDE (resized).jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Here are some other mods you may find useful:
    Iron Maiden Light Tree Mod for colored mode lights:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod

Metallica F-U-E-L lights bracket:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-f-u-e-l-gauge-lens-bracket

Spike quiet fan upgrade kit:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans

#2 5 years ago

PM sent.

#3 5 years ago

What game did Stern start useing the Angled speaker panels?

#4 5 years ago

That looks great!! Nice job! Thanks for doing it!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Star Trek

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Star Trek, so this is for the following angled speaker panel Stern machines with ColorDMD LCD screens:

Star Trek
    Metallica LED (re-run)
    Iron Man Pro Vault
    AC/DC Vault
    Mustang
    Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Wrestlemania
    KISS
    Ghostbusters
    Spiderman Vault

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

That looks great!! Nice job! Thanks for doing it!

I've had the design done for quite a while. The hangup has been finding foam that is actually fire-resistant. Some of the types that said they were on the spec sheet failed the blow-torch test spectacularly. Maybe I'll post some pics of "fire resistant" foam pieces with large flames building on them. The hybrid foam I settled on can take an extended direct blast from a hand torch and not catch fire. Cool stuff, but not cheap.

#8 5 years ago

Thank you

I have a couple of these games but no colordmd yet. When I do I’ll be in touch. But thank you. Little mods like this put that final touch to make it look perfect and you went above and beyond to use the right material

#9 5 years ago

Great job bro. Pm sent.
    Harley D.

#10 5 years ago

PM sent.

#11 5 years ago

TTT

#12 5 years ago

Doing one more sample set with slightly smaller holes that fit tighter to the plastic spacers at the bottom of the posts. It should make the gasket more taut so there's no movement into the display area when you put the screen back on.

Still taking names for the manufacturing, which should be done in 2-4 weeks, once I check these last samples. PM me if you want to be on the list, along with how many you want.

Also someone asked how the gasket fits with speaker light kits. The answer is it fits fine. I've attached a picture of a gasket installed in a GoT with the speaker light kit, and there's plenty of room.

speaker-light-kit-clearance (resized).jpgspeaker-light-kit-clearance (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago

Huh?! Pretty cool Vireland.

#14 5 years ago

I haven't figured out international shipping, but for those interested, I've been adding them to the list and will contact them once I figure it out.

#15 5 years ago

Fantastic idea.

Pm sent

#16 5 years ago

any discount for multiple pieces?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

any discount for multiple pieces?

I'm already not making much on them as it is because the fire-resistant foam is so expensive and I want to keep the price down, and I'm charging what the postage+box costs for shipping, so no room for quantity discounts. There's no skimping on quality with this item as a result. You'll know that when you hold one.

#18 5 years ago

I’d like one, sent you a pm

#19 5 years ago

Here's some of the foam samples I checked with a handheld torch as I was working on a final candidate. I wish I had saved all the samples I tried, but these are a pretty representative 3.

Early foam was so flammable (and didn't self-extinguish) I took the torch away to take a picture before it got out of hand in the test:
    early-foam (resized).jpgearly-foam (resized).jpg

The minicel was pretty resistant (most of the flame in this picture is going around the foam and not burning it) and DID self-extinguish after a while, but I couldn't get this in dark black like this sample they sent me and its performance wasn't as awesome as I wanted:
    minicel (resized).jpgminicel (resized).jpg

After a search with help from a number of people across the country that do foam for a living, I settled on a hybrid foam that is acceptably flame resistant (it takes a direct blast from the torch for a few seconds before catching fire) and self-extinguishes:
    hybrid-foam (resized).jpghybrid-foam (resized).jpg

I'm not making these gaskets to burn with mini-torches, but I wanted to be reasonably certain they had at least SOME decent fire resistance, so I ran these tests on the way to selecting the final material to use.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Here's some of the foam samples I checked with a handheld torch as I was working on a final candidate. I wish I had saved all the samples I tried, but these are a pretty representative 3.
    Early foam was so flammable (and didn't self-extinguish) I took the torch away to take a picture before it got out of hand in the test:

The minicel was pretty resistant (most of the flame in this picture is going around the foam and not burning it) and DID self-extinguish after a while, but I couldn't get this in dark black like this sample they sent me and its performance wasn't as awesome as I wanted:

After a search with help from a number of people across the country that do foam for a living, I settled on a hybrid foam that is acceptably flame resistant (it takes a direct blast from the torch for a few seconds before catching fire) and self-extinguishes:

I'm not making these gaskets to burn with mini-torches, but I wanted to be reasonably certain they had at least SOME decent fire resistance, so I ran these tests on the way to selecting the final material to use.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this and post. Great work and very much appreciated! I am looking forward to getting our one when they are ready.

#21 5 years ago

Interested...

#22 5 years ago

The more bastards, the better.

#23 5 years ago

Also interested.. But curious about something. Why the insistence on fire resistant foam? It seems a little overkill.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Radius118:

Also interested.. But curious about something. Why the insistence on fire resistant foam? It seems a little overkill.

Better safe than sorry. If you saw how fast the foam in picture #1 went up, you wouldn't want it in your machine. The likelihood of a spark or overheat condition sparking a fire is very small, but it's not impossible. And, in that case, this foam won't contribute to that accelerating into a fire. The fire-resistant foam is $8 more than the non-fire-resistant foam per piece. Big picture, that's a small price for a little extra protection.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Radius118:

seems more fireproof than fire resistant! Must be for the pyrotechnics crowd

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

seems more fireproof than fire resistant! Must be for the pyrotechnics crowd

Fireproof isn't a promise I can absolutely keep, so I don't say that, but it will resist fire and the foam self-extinguishes after a bit. That's enough.

(I did stink up the garage testing foam burning on a number of occasions, though)

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Better safe than sorry. If you saw how fast the foam in picture #1 went up, you wouldn't want it in your machine. The likelihood of a spark or overheat condition sparking a fire is very small, but it's not impossible. And, in that case, this foam won't contribute to that accelerating into a fire. The fire-resistant foam is $8 more than the non-fire-resistant foam per piece. Big picture, that's a small price for a little extra protection.

Fair enough. How about a version that's $8 cheaper and not fire resistant for us cheap folks?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Radius118:

Fair enough. How about a version that's $8 cheaper and not fire resistant for us cheap folks?

I couldn't sleep at night making $8 more profit with no fire resistance.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Radius118:

More

Diy
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Low-Density-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-02071/100665371?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202066510-_-100665371-_-N

Or similar product. But I agree with OP why changed voltage/electronics and the risk? But to each their own.

#30 5 years ago

Pm Sent. Interested. Thanks for doing this. It's not hard to do a cheap diy version. That's what I did with weatherstrip tape. Problem is that it's not really removable and ends up looking like butt for the most part. Having a proper solution is worth a few $$ to me.

#31 5 years ago

PM Sent...Thanks for taking the time to do what Color DMD should include or at least provide as an option. Well done!!

#32 5 years ago

I would gladly pay the $8 more if it isn’t as likely to burn my house down.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I couldn't sleep at night making $8 more profit with no fire resistance.

#33 5 years ago

When do you think these will be ready to order?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

When do you think these will be ready to order?

Still waiting on the final samples (I did one more round to adjust the hole sizes for a snugger fit) to come, so probably mid-July for the production units.

2 weeks later
    #35 5 years ago

Just an update - the last samples should be here at the end of the week. Took longer than expected as the manufacturer was busy with much larger jobs, and we have to run during gaps.

2 weeks later
    #36 5 years ago

This is the factory's busy time of the year, so it's taken a while to get those samples back. I have tracking now and they'll finally be here Wed. When they get here, I'll check them out and also send one of the samples to ColorDMD (keeping them in the loop). Unless there's something horribly wrong, I'll shortly place the factory order for the full run and paypal requests for those on the "interested" list will go out soon.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This is the factory's busy time of the year, so it's taken a while to get those samples back. I have tracking now and they'll finally be here Wed. When they get here, I'll check them out and also send one of the samples to ColorDMD (keeping them in the loop). Unless there's something horribly wrong, I'll shortly place the factory order for the full run and paypal requests for those on the "interested" list will go out soon.

Thanks for the update. Great work, I am looking forward to getting our one. Thanks very much for your efforts, much appreciated.

#38 5 years ago

No rush on my end. Appreciate you making it. It's something needed imo.

#39 5 years ago

PM sent

#40 5 years ago

If it isn't too late to add my name to the list, I will take one!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from evanc:

If it isn't too late to add my name to the list, I will take one!

I'm keeping track in PM, drop me a PM with the request.

#42 5 years ago

Final samples are in and they look like they are really the final samples. The small adjustment on the hole sizes really helped snug up the fit. I have to do a few more test installs on machines, then I should place the order and be sending out paypal requests next week.

1 week later
    #43 5 years ago

TTT

#44 5 years ago

Just waiting for feedback from the ColorDMD guys on the final sample (out of an abundance of caution) and we're ready to go. Thickness of the final ones will be 7/8" instead of 3/4" because on some test installs there was a sliver of light showing on one side or the other. This will ensure the best light seal.

#45 5 years ago

Put me on the list for 3 please

Should work with the color dmd guy and ask to have the product available on their website

Might generate more sales

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from gatordad:

Put me on the list for 3 please
    Should work with the color dmd guy and ask to have the product available on their website
    Might generate more sales

PM me your email and I'll add you to the list. I've kept ColorDMD guys in the loop, so that may happen in the future.

1 week later
    #47 5 years ago

Paypal requests have gone out, so check your spam if you didn't see it. I had to adjust the material to make it 1/8" thicker (to be 100% sure there was no light bleed) which cost a bit more, but I didn't change the price for the people on the advance list here. When it shows up later on the Pinside market and elsewhere, it'll be a few bucks more.

#48 5 years ago

Is it still possible to order one from you? Hopefully you’re willing to ship international.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Koos:

Is it still possible to order one from you? Hopefully you’re willing to ship international.

International shipping is pretty expensive, but I am doing it for a handful that want this. Most are getting multiple to offset the crazy shipping.

#50 5 years ago

Payment sent, thanks for making these available.

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels?hl=koos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.