GB_extra_ball.jpg
GB3x (resized).JPG
GB2x (resized).JPG
GB1x (resized).JPG
20181026_123646 (resized).jpg
20181026_123949 (resized).jpg
20181026_124013 (resized).jpg
20181026_124111 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 5 years ago

I just rushed to adapt LCD from another machine into GB, then went to d/l the update and see that the firmware is not released yet, ha. No, I didn't read the full announcement. Anyway, sigma looks pretty nice for now, and I'm ready to go.

For those that might want to adapt one yourself, it's pretty easy if you have a little hardware lying around. I trimmed the bottom middle bolt down about 1/4" with dremel, installed lock nuts on bottom corner bolts about 1/3rd down for display to sit on, lock nuts on top corner screws about halfway down and small hex spacers on top of those, popped the display in, two nuts at the bottom and two machine screws at the top to hold it, done.

sigma (resized).jpgsigma (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ooh...I would never cut a machine to make a permanent change if I could avoid it. You can install it with inexpensive standoffs you can get at a hardware store or buy for $8 from ColorDMD.

Come on, the tip of a bolt... doesn't affect anything. That's what I was thinking anyway...

I'm not worried that my permanent change affects the value, lol...

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah...the old "just the tip" persuasion, eh?

Not trying to persuade anyone, just used what I had on hand. But I do like the display angled up as I'm tall, so it works for me.

It's not the same as recommending an under-powered cooling fan that can't reach shut off temp and runs constantly, which I'm guessing your sore at for me questioning.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Using standoffs doesn't change the angle. It still follows the angle of the speaker panel.

Yup, my way angled it slightly more, which I'm fine with, since I'm tall. If I had more suitable hex spacers on hand, probably would have used them, but sacrificing the tip of a bolt vs ordering parts or running to the hardware store, is a trade-off I'm happy with.

#55 5 years ago

Nice to see slimer in green!

Advance it to 1 minute, youtube didn't process the start right or something.

#76 5 years ago

There's a couple of areas where I could have hoped for more.

Storage Facility Multiball: watching the monochrome animation start, I always imagine the scene from the movie with the multi-colored spirits escaping. It would be nice for the spirits to be done in different colors here, even just red, green, blue alternate would be nice.

Tobin's Spirit Guide pages don't stand out too well, I'd be curious to see what it would look like with the images being colored, even just a single color per page and changing per page might be interesting.

I'm guessing there's so much animation on this game, there couldn't be a lot of attention to detail in all areas and some short-cuts or compromises had to be made on where to spend time. Would be nice if colorizing software were released and customers could do some customization to experiment.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Books you read have rainbow pages?

I think the pages had glowing images in color, yeah, but I've lent out my copy of Tobin's, so I can't check right now.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Knowing the 3 guys that worked on this title for nearly 2 years, I am sure that's the best that could be done with the source material.

What does source material have to do with it? It's just selecting different colors for the pixels that make up the different spirits. Maybe there's a technical limitation of ColorDMD that I'm not familiar with, I thought it was more robust than what you suggest.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The parts that were glowing are the black parts of the page in the game, no? Can't color what doesn't exist.

Again, unless there's a ColorDMD limitation I'm not aware of, you can set any pixels to any color. It's not that they don't exist, they're just set to black.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nope - Color DMD applies color in front of the dots - if there are no dots in the source material (meaning, they're off to make black), there's nothing to color. The system does not change the source artwork/display.

Interesting, sounds like there's no way to set the "background" color then? I'm surprised at that, I thought even the primitive color-swapping solutions allowed that, and ColorDMD was more robust.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The containment leak was monochromatic in the movie. [quoted image]

Awh, man, why are things never as cool as you remember them?! Ha... I haven't watched the movie in a while, I wonder if I'm cross re-constructing another scene. Anyway, it looks cooler in my mind, I'd take creative license on this one! Just kidding, chuckle.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Just checked more out of interest than anything... If you google the official Ghostbusters edition of Tobin's Spirit Guide, pages are parchment with black text and artwork. No color.
I don’t think this was used as a color guide for Tobin’s but not too surprising that we ended up with a similar representation.
[quoted image]

It's not that I don't think the color is appropriate or I just want color for the sake of color. I like those pages flipping by on the monochrome display and there's good contrast. For some reason the contrast isn't as good or maybe it's the LCD refresh/fade rate or something, but particularly those pages seem to lose clarity and I was brain-storming how to improve it. I wonder if it's better on the LED version.

If the "ink" can't be colored, I wonder if tinting the pages different light colors might help, and maybe also make the transitions more obvious. If the same page is always the same color, it would also make certain pages like the extra-ball more recognizable.

2 weeks later
#134 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I am very impressed with the LED image quality. I usually go the LCD route but think I will keep the LED in GB.

I picked up an LED when EBAY had 20% off and ColorDMD still had some listed at the time. I put it in my ST. The one thing I couldn't get over was the visible off pixels / poor blacks. I experimented with a number of different display covers until I found one I liked. Now black looks black and contrast is much better.

I couldn't find anyone selling a solution, so I made it myself. If anyone needs one, I can make them for $20, pm me. Or if you want to use a clear cover you have, can also provide polarized film for $10. It will also be a big improvement, but it's not as good as the custom plastic one. Here's a couple pics from my ST for comparison to the GB ones posted. That's how my ST used to look too.

GB-LED (resized).jpgGB-LED (resized).jpg
ST-LED1 (resized).jpgST-LED1 (resized).jpg
ST-LED2 (resized).jpgST-LED2 (resized).jpg
ST-LED3 (resized).jpgST-LED3 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
15,699 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters?tu=highvoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.