GB_extra_ball.jpg
GB3x (resized).JPG
GB2x (resized).JPG
GB1x (resized).JPG
20181026_123646 (resized).jpg
20181026_123949 (resized).jpg
20181026_124013 (resized).jpg
20181026_124111 (resized).jpg
There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

COLORDMD AIN'T AFRAID OF ITS 80TH GAME!

GB_Title4 (resized).PNGGB_Title4 (resized).PNG
GB_Attract2 (resized).PNGGB_Attract2 (resized).PNG

ColorDMD is excited to announce Ghostbusters as the 80th title to be supported by the ColorDMD multicolor pinball display platform! Ghostbusters will debut this week at both Chicago Pinball Expo and the Houston Pinball and Arcade Expo!

GB_Hysteria2 (resized).PNGGB_Hysteria2 (resized).PNG

It's hard to believe a full year has past since we first teased "We Came, We Saw, We Kicked [Star Trek's] Ass!" At that point Ghostbusters work was in progress and though we knew we had some time to go, we didn't fully appreciate the depth and detail Stern packed into the Ghostbusters animations. Where Star Trek was technically difficult, Ghostbusters runs DEEP!

GB_Scoleri (resized).PNGGB_Scoleri (resized).PNG

Similar to Star Trek, Ghostbusters took a team effort with ColorDMD's Chris Enright taking the lead, early development by Mark Jarzewiak, and Randy providing additional help where needed. Further enhancements were made to the coloring engine to manage the dynamic colorized text that appears across Ghostbusters twelve main modes and wizard modes, along with structural changes to the processor to aid future development.

GB_Ballroom (resized).PNGGB_Ballroom (resized).PNG

Many of the techniques developed to complete Star Trek came in especially useful for coloring Ghostbusters' abundant incorporation of 3D-rendered animation sequences. We Got One! In fact we got a lot! Slimer, Gozer, Stay-Puft and the rest of the grim grinning ghosts are here in full-color, awaiting capture and relocation to a nearby storage facility. Call Now! We're ready to believe you.

GB_GreenBeam (resized).PNGGB_GreenBeam (resized).PNG

The ColorDMD for Ghostbusters pinball machines shares the same easy-to-install hardware platform as previous ColorDMD releases. All displays ship with the factory installed SIGMA ROM that supports WPC, WPC95, SAM, Whitestar, and SPIKE platforms. Multicolor operation is enabled through download and installation of a game-specific color ROM file, available from our site. ROMs can be changed at any time, allowing use with any of our supported titles.

GB_Bonus (resized).PNGGB_Bonus (resized).PNG

Displays are shipping now from our store site or through our distributors. The color ROM for Ghostbusters pinball machines will debut at Chicago Expo and the Houston Arcade Expo this week and is targeted for public release by Friday, October 19!

For more information, please visit us at www.colordmd.com.

GB_WeGotOne (resized).PNGGB_WeGotOne (resized).PNG

#2 5 years ago

This is so awesome! Congratulations to all the ghostbusters owners, and to the color dmd team for all their hard work to make this title possible.

#3 5 years ago

SO many color dmds I want. I am going to have to sell a game just to buy the color dmds for my other games! Best mod ever!

#4 5 years ago

We've received a number of emails asking about what's needed to shift a display that was purchased for another game to Ghostbusters.

LCD displays require a newer mounting bracket (this is the same bracket we have sold since IMVE release), a clear display shield to replace the red one that shipped from the factory, a set of hex standoffs to mount the display behind the threaded posts on the speaker panel, and a SAM/WS cable installation kit.

LED displays require only the clear display shield and SAM/WS cable installation kit.

EASY
For easiest installation we recommend using a display with a newer Chroma controller board. These boards only require 12V which is readily available for the power supply board in the lower right corner of the backbox. A small SPIKE adapter cable, available from the ACCESSORIES page of our store site, wires 12V to a 3-pin molex connector (similar to the power source connector near the coin door on older Stern games). Any ColorDMD SAM/WS cable can plug into the 3-pin molex to provide 12V to the display.

HARDER
For older displays with a Rev 1.2 or 1.3x board, you will need a way to obtain 5V from the game along with 12V. The easiest and safest way to do this (but also expensive) is to purchase a SPIKE DC/DC converter from Pinball Life that converts 48V to 12V and 5V and outputs both voltages on a single 3-pin molex connector. If the display is an early model you may need a new mounting bracket.

The easiest way to tell is to make sure the bracket has
(1) wide mounting tabs for Stern games
(2) the screws in the side of the bracket should be at the top and near the center of the bracket
If the screws are at the top and bottom edges of the bracket, you will need a new bracket

HARDEST - DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
If you have an older display and don't want to drop the coin for the Pinball Life converter, you can rig your own AC/DC or DC/DC converter to provide 12V and 5V. A few words of caution here since you could easily damage your game!
(1) Make sure the DC outputs share a common ground with the rest of the game! There are signals that cross from the CPU to the ColorDMD. If the grounds are not common you could cause damage to one or both of the boards.
(2) DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS! The easiest way to damage an older ColorDMD board is to cross 12V and 5V. If you wire 12V to the 5V port on the ColorDMD, YOU WILL DAMAGE THE COLORDMD BOARD!

Looking at the ColorDMD power cable it must be wired as follows:
1 GRAY +5V
2 BLACK Ground
3 GRAY/YELLOW +12V
4 KEY

Hope this helps but please be very careful. If you're not electronically minded, your safest bet is to purchase a new Ghostbusters display which includes the newer Chroma board and ColorDMD SPIKE adapter cable.

#5 5 years ago

Oh My... Wish I still had my Premium. This looks sooooooo nice.

#6 5 years ago

Sick, I just got mine within the past month!

#7 5 years ago

How can I tell if the colordmd i have has a chroma controller board?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Says 'chroma' on it somewhere - but the obvious tell is if the USB port is mounted perpendicular to the board, instead off off the end.

#9 5 years ago

Looks awesome! I'll be installing a ColorDMD in my premium shortly.

#10 5 years ago

Display ordered.

#11 5 years ago

Incredible colorization of this title. I would 100% get it if I owned the game. Damn purdy. Great job guys!!!!

#12 5 years ago

This will complete my DMD collection. Now to find the money...

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

It will say CHROMA Ax beneath the ColorDMD logo.

Older boards say REV 1.2 or 1.3x near the edge of the board.

#14 5 years ago

You just took my money....I have more for mustang when its ready.

#15 5 years ago

Now the problem is to choose between the Led or LCD !

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It will say CHROMA Ax beneath the ColorDMD logo.
Older boards say REV 1.2 or 1.3x near the edge of the board.

Ok, so i dont have chroma but i do have the newer bracket. I already have the Sam cables, not sure what else i need to install. I ordered the spike adapter already also.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

I think I’m going Led for fit and finish

#18 5 years ago

Has anyone ever cut off the 2 middle screws so the colordmd would sit flush? Seems like someone would have tried it by now.

#20 5 years ago

Finally! Been waiting quite some time to upgrade my GB!

#21 5 years ago

Is NBA Fastbreak in the cards? (Sorry I had to ask. )

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Says 'chroma' on it somewhere - but the obvious tell is if the USB port is mounted perpendicular to the board, instead off off the end.

Picture of the board. You can see "Chroma" below the ColorDMD logo.

chroma-board (resized).jpgchroma-board (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

No contest. LCD just gives so much more flexibility. I'd only take LED in a Slugfest or CV where I HAD to.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Displays are shipping now from our store site or through our distributors. The color ROM for Ghostbusters pinball machines will debut at Chicago Expo and the Houston Arcade Expo this week and is targeted for public release by Friday, October 19!
For more information, please visit us at www.colordmd.com.
[quoted image]

Been waiting for this one for a LONG time. Friday can't come soon enough!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think I’m going Led for fit and finish

Now that there's a gasket for the LCD screens that seals the screen area from dust and light, finish isn't so much an issue anymore.

#26 5 years ago

Sweeeeeeeeet!
I've had my color dmd installed already for about a year now. Fantastic news!

#27 5 years ago

Great job ColorDMD team!

#28 5 years ago

Pretty sure I will be watching the animations often on this one during the Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo this weekend. The video preview looks awesome. Congrats ColorDMD capturing the color on this one.

#29 5 years ago

wouldn't the LED like they make for TSPP look better?

#30 5 years ago

Sweet. I've got a spare colordmd display. I just ordered the spike cable and a new standoff kit.

#31 5 years ago

LCD always looks better IMO.

Quoted from 3pinballs:

wouldn't the LED like they make for TSPP look better?

#32 5 years ago

Any promo videos yet?

#33 5 years ago

Yup

Looks good!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Sweet. I've got a spare colordmd display. I just ordered the spike cable and a new standoff kit.

My order is shipped already. Thanks, Randy, for squeezing that in before expo.

#35 5 years ago

Wow that video looks great. Hopefully Randy stocked up on displays for this announcement!

#36 5 years ago

Looks great! i see one in my future.... after Addams Family.

#37 5 years ago

Wow, looks great!

#38 5 years ago

Isn't there a new hardware display being announced at expo as well? This is a must for my GB, but I wanted to see what was available to decide what looked good, etc.

#39 5 years ago

I would like to see a video how it looks with LCD vs LED.
That would be pretty cool.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I would like to see a video how it looks with LCD vs LED.
That would be pretty cool.

Randy usually sets up a LCD and an LED display next to each other running the same content on the table at his booth -- if you're going to expo, that might be there.

#41 5 years ago

Awesome job! Looks like a must have for GB owners.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Randy usually sets up a LCD and an LED display next to each other running the same content on the table at his booth -- if you're going to expo, that might be there.

I can't go to expo... The distance..
So hope that someone or maybe the colordmd Team can provide a "vs" Video. So that we made a dessicion which one wie should buy

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Isn't there a new hardware display being announced at expo as well? This is a must for my GB, but I wanted to see what was available to decide what looked good, etc.

Really? Interested to know as well.

#44 5 years ago

Just buy the LCD ... there, you're welcome

Quoted from MightyGrave:

I can't go to expo... The distance..
So hope that someone or maybe the colordmd Team can provide a "vs" Video. So that we made a dessicion which one wie should buy

#45 5 years ago

I played around in my mind to buy an led for LOTR and usw the LCD from lotr @ GB.

#46 5 years ago

I just rushed to adapt LCD from another machine into GB, then went to d/l the update and see that the firmware is not released yet, ha. No, I didn't read the full announcement. Anyway, sigma looks pretty nice for now, and I'm ready to go.

For those that might want to adapt one yourself, it's pretty easy if you have a little hardware lying around. I trimmed the bottom middle bolt down about 1/4" with dremel, installed lock nuts on bottom corner bolts about 1/3rd down for display to sit on, lock nuts on top corner screws about halfway down and small hex spacers on top of those, popped the display in, two nuts at the bottom and two machine screws at the top to hold it, done.

sigma (resized).jpgsigma (resized).jpg

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I just rushed to adapt LCD from another machine into GB, then went to d/l the update and see that the firmware is not released yet, ha. No, I didn't read the full announcement. Anyway, sigma looks pretty nice for now, and I'm ready to go.
For those that might want to adapt one yourself, it's pretty easy if you have a little hardware lying around. I trimmed the middle bolts down about 1/4" with dremel, installed lock nuts on bottom corner bolts about 1/3rd down for display to sit on, lock nuts on top corner screws about halfway down and small hex spacers on top of those, popped the display in, two nuts at the bottom and two machine screws at the top to hold it, done.
[quoted image]

Ooh...I would never cut a machine to make a permanent change if I could avoid it. You can install it with inexpensive standoffs you can get at a hardware store or buy for $8 from ColorDMD.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ooh...I would never cut a machine to make a permanent change if I could avoid it. You can install it with inexpensive standoffs you can get at a hardware store or buy for $8 from ColorDMD.

Come on, the tip of a bolt... doesn't affect anything. That's what I was thinking anyway...

I'm not worried that my permanent change affects the value, lol...

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Come on, the tip of a bolt... doesn't affect anything. That's what I was thinking anyway...

Ah...the old "just the tip" persuasion, eh?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah...the old "just the tip" persuasion, eh?

Not trying to persuade anyone, just used what I had on hand. But I do like the display angled up as I'm tall, so it works for me.

It's not the same as recommending an under-powered cooling fan that can't reach shut off temp and runs constantly, which I'm guessing your sore at for me questioning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.