Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

power (resized).png
Colordmd (resized).jpg
ST-LED3 (resized).jpg
ST-LED2 (resized).jpg
ST-LED1 (resized).jpg
GB-LED (resized).jpg
IMG_20181103_195133 (resized).jpg
shoot-again (resized).jpg
GB_extra_ball.jpg
GB3x (resized).JPG
GB2x (resized).JPG
GB1x (resized).JPG
20181026_123646 (resized).jpg
20181026_123949 (resized).jpg
20181026_124013 (resized).jpg
20181026_124111 (resized).jpg

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Not trying to persuade anyone, just used what I had on hand. But I do like the display angled up as I'm tall, so it works for me.

Using standoffs doesn't change the angle. It still follows the angle of the speaker panel.

#52 1 year ago

Looks awesome! Good job guys! If I had a GB this would be a must have.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Using standoffs doesn't change the angle. It still follows the angle of the speaker panel.

Yup, my way angled it slightly more, which I'm fine with, since I'm tall. If I had more suitable hex spacers on hand, probably would have used them, but sacrificing the tip of a bolt vs ordering parts or running to the hardware store, is a trade-off I'm happy with.

#54 1 year ago

GHOSTBUSTERS RELEASED!

The color ROM to support Ghostbusters pinball machines has been released and is now available for download from our site.

Ghostbusters was colored by Chris Enright with support from Mark Jarzewiak and Randy Perlow. Thanks to Kevin Glass for hours upon hours of beta testing to help get this ROM to release.

Displays are shipping now from our site and through our distributors. http://shop.colordmd.com/

GB_Logo_600x315 (resized).png
#55 1 year ago

Nice to see slimer in green!

Advance it to 1 minute, youtube didn't process the start right or something.

#56 1 year ago

Yup loving this GB colordmd LCD on DOTXL, thanks ColorDMD team, & Chris Enright, Mark Jarzewiak, and Randy Perlow. Good luck at the Expo!

I been screen watching instead of playing, too many drains watching the screen lol.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is NBA Fastbreak in the cards? (Sorry I had to ask. )

Hope so

#58 1 year ago

Attempting to install a 1.3B revision board on my Ghostbusters. I bought the spike power adapter cable and shield / stand off kit. However, I don't see anywhere to plug the 3 pin molex into. I think I may be missing something else? Thanks!

20181020_084534 (resized).jpg

Pic of WPC cable that came with ColorDMD when I used it on a Shadow. I don't believe this is needed?

20181020_085202 (resized).jpg

Do I need this as well?

https://www.pinballlife.com/accessory-power-supply-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-machines-cabinet-mounting.html

Thanks guys

#59 1 year ago

I think you use the spike adapter you have if you have a chroma dmd with sam cables, otherwise there is a different cable you need to get from pinballlife.com.
Its in post #4.

#60 1 year ago

I got a ColorDMD Rev 1.3, is GB working on this Board ?
In the download sides at ColorDMD is nothing special to see about that, so the newer larger memory is not necesarry ?
As i´m not sure, i don´t like to make a mistake here with a non working board at the end

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

GHOSTBUSTERS RELEASED!
The color ROM to support Ghostbusters pinball machines has been released and is now available for download from our site.
Ghostbusters was colored by Chris Enright with support from Mark Jarzewiak and Randy Perlow. Thanks to Kevin Glass for hours upon hours of beta testing to help get this ROM to release.
Displays are shipping now from our site and through our distributors. http://shop.colordmd.com/
[quoted image]

This has been a long time coming. I'm excited to pick one up for my GB. Not a huge part of the game, but I'm curious why green was chosen for the river of slime?
43288349_1215496881937143_457916760125865984_n (resized).jpgslime (resized).JPG

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

This has been a long time coming. I'm excited to pick one up for my GB. Not a huge part of the game, but I'm curious why green was chosen for the river of slime?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Because the guy that colored it never watched GB2.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

I got a ColorDMD Rev 1.3, is GB working on this Board ?
In the download sides at ColorDMD is nothing special to see about that, so the newer larger memory is not necesarry ?
As i´m not sure, i don´t like to make a mistake here with a non working board at the end

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters#post-4637012

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, pretty huge gaffe. Anyone who suffered through Ghostbusters 2 knows that's supposed to be pink. I ragged on the Kraken coloring in Pirates, but this is a much larger mistake because there's no question what color it should be.

First world problems.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Attempting to install a 1.3B revision board on my Ghostbusters. I bought the spike power adapter cable and shield / stand off kit. However, I don't see anywhere to plug the 3 pin molex into. I think I may be missing something else? Thanks!
[quoted image]
Pic of WPC cable that came with ColorDMD when I used it on a Shadow. I don't believe this is needed?
[quoted image]
Do I need this as well?
https://www.pinballlife.com/accessory-power-supply-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-machines-cabinet-mounting.html
Thanks guys

You need +5 and +12 on the older boards. I BELIEVE that 3 pin cable on the short adapter goes to the power cable for the LCD that was originally from Stern. Check with a multimeter to verify the voltage first so you don't blow up your board, but pretty sure that's what that adapter connects to.

#66 1 year ago

I would like to have my speaker lights change color in sync with the ColorDMD color. Is this possible and how? I saw a GB on location with speaker lights changing colors based on game action...

Thanks for your help!

#67 1 year ago

If I have Color DMD on my TWDLE will everything be there to move it to GB?

Thanks!

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from sepins:

If I have Color DMD on my TWDLE will everything be there to move it to GB?
Thanks!

You'll need a different adapter because TWD is SAM and GB is Spike. Which one(s) depends on whether you have a newer Chroma ColorDMD or an older ColorDMD board. If you have a Chroma board, it's printed right below the logo on the board, like so:

chroma-board (resized).jpg
#69 1 year ago

No chroma...Bummer!

#70 1 year ago

480P? Seriously, I'm baffled how people are still posting non-HD videos in 2018.

7K pinball......iPhone 3GS.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from sepins:

No chroma...Bummer!

You can still do it with the older 1.3 and 1.4 boards, you just need two power leads because they need both a +5 and a +12 instead of just one like the Chroma. Post 4 in this thread talks about it.

#72 1 year ago

I ordered mine on Thursday and tracking has it arriving on Monday.

I can't wait.

Pair this up with the newly offered gasket for angle bracketed displays and I'll be golden.

Monday should be a great day indeed.

#73 1 year ago

Speaking of which, I just installed the colorDMD on Ghostbusters using the gasket! In pictures!

Original Stern display (speaker light kit installed)
GB_01 (resized).jpg
Power off, removed original display
GB_02 (resized).jpg
Red lens removed, clear lens to replace it
GB_03 (resized).jpg
Standoff towers from ColorDMD parts kit installed at 4 corners
GB_04 (resized).jpg
Gasket dropped in place
GB_05 (resized).jpg
Angle ColorDMD LCD to get it under the metal lip at the bottom of the speaker panel and over the threaded posts on each side.
GB_06 (resized).jpg
Press down on the gasket lightly to get a nice seal. You should have about this much thread. Any more is too much.
GB_07 (resized).jpg
Plug in power and data cable to Chroma board
GB_08 (resized).jpg
Find the 3 pin connector on the power distribution board
gb_09 (resized).jpg
Use Spike adapter cable and plug that into the power distribution board in the backbox
GB_10 (resized).jpg
Close it all back up and you have a dead smexy display
GB_11 (resized).jpg
No light leakage from the sides, even with bright speaker lights!
GB_12 (resized).jpg

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, pretty huge gaffe. Anyone who suffered through Ghostbusters 2 knows that's supposed to be pink. I ragged on the Kraken coloring in Pirates, but this is a much larger mistake because there's no question what color it should be.
First world problems.

Agreed. Wether you like GB2 or not, the River of Slime is pink. Embarrassing gaffe.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Agreed. Wether you like GB2 or not, the River of Slime is pink. Embarrassing gaffe.

I didn’t notice it until you guys pointed it out. I still don’t care, the green matches my game

#76 1 year ago

There's a couple of areas where I could have hoped for more.

Storage Facility Multiball: watching the monochrome animation start, I always imagine the scene from the movie with the multi-colored spirits escaping. It would be nice for the spirits to be done in different colors here, even just red, green, blue alternate would be nice.

Tobin's Spirit Guide pages don't stand out too well, I'd be curious to see what it would look like with the images being colored, even just a single color per page and changing per page might be interesting.

I'm guessing there's so much animation on this game, there couldn't be a lot of attention to detail in all areas and some short-cuts or compromises had to be made on where to spend time. Would be nice if colorizing software were released and customers could do some customization to experiment.

#77 1 year ago

Knowing the 3 guys that worked on this title for nearly 2 years, I am sure that's the best that could be done with the source material.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Storage Facility Multiball: watching the monochrome animation start, I always imagine the scene from the movie with the multi-colored spirits escaping. It would be nice for the spirits to be done in different colors here, even just red, green, blue alternate would be nice.
Tobin's Spirit Guide pages don't stand out too well, I'd be curious to see what it would look like with the images being colored, even just a single color per page and changing per page might be interesting.
I'm guessing there's so much animation on this game, there couldn't be a lot of attention to detail in all areas and some short-cuts or compromises had to be made on where to spend time. Would be nice if colorizing software were released and customers could do some customization to experiment.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Books you read have rainbow pages? That part seems fine to me. Sure, it's a bit plain, but it's pages in a book, man.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Knowing the 3 guys that worked on this title for nearly 2 years, I am sure that's the best that could be done with the source material.

Sounds like a ton of work went into this one, looking forward to checking it out. Do you know if the team expects to perform more work for the game after Stern releases the final update? Always been a bit curious if the ColorDMD team syncs up with Stern to know what, if any, additional changes to DMD animations may be coming.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Books you read have rainbow pages?

I think the pages had glowing images in color, yeah, but I've lent out my copy of Tobin's, so I can't check right now.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

What does source material have to do with it? It's just selecting different colors for the pixels that make up the different spirits. Maybe there's a technical limitation of ColorDMD that I'm not familiar with, I thought it was more robust than what you suggest.

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I think the pages had glowing images in color, yeah, but I've lent out my copy of Tobin's, so I can't check right now.

The parts that were glowing are the black parts of the page in the game, no? Can't color what doesn't exist.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The parts that were glowing are the black parts of the page in the game, no? Can't color what doesn't exist.

Again, unless there's a ColorDMD limitation I'm not aware of, you can set any pixels to any color. It's not that they don't exist, they're just set to black.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What does source material have to do with it? It's just selecting different colors for the pixels that make up the different spirits. Maybe there's a technical limitation of ColorDMD that I'm not familiar with, I thought it was more robust than what you suggest.

I didn't work on GB, so I'm not sure exactly -- but that scene is pretty heavily anti-aliased which makes edges really hard to delineate in the low resolution the game uses. It may very well be that if those blobs flying out were different colors it would look like a jagged mess.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Again, unless there's a ColorDMD limitation I'm not aware of, you can set any pixels to any color. It's not that they don't exist, they're just set to black.

Nope - Color DMD applies color in front of the dots - if there are no dots in the source material (meaning, they're off to make black), there's nothing to color. The system does not change the source artwork/display.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nope - Color DMD applies color in front of the dots - if there are no dots in the source material (meaning, they're off to make black), there's nothing to color. The system does not change the source artwork/display.

Interesting, sounds like there's no way to set the "background" color then? I'm surprised at that, I thought even the primitive color-swapping solutions allowed that, and ColorDMD was more robust.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Interesting, sounds like there's no way to set the "background" color then? I'm surprised at that, I thought even the primitive color-swapping solutions allowed that, and ColorDMD was more robust.

Even on the pallet swap displays black is black. There are some solutions that can change the output (as was done with SF2), but you'd get into legal ramifications there without the proper licensing approvals. Especially on something like Ghostbusters.

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

The containment leak was monochromatic in the movie.

B8DF211B-0F2F-4C04-869A-B0B19964ECB9 (resized).png
#89 1 year ago

And yes, I did mess up the color of The river of slime. Will be fixed in an update.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The containment leak was monochromatic in the movie. [quoted image]

Awh, man, why are things never as cool as you remember them?! Ha... I haven't watched the movie in a while, I wonder if I'm cross re-constructing another scene. Anyway, it looks cooler in my mind, I'd take creative license on this one! Just kidding, chuckle.

#91 1 year ago

Just checked more out of interest than anything... If you google the official Ghostbusters edition of Tobin's Spirit Guide, pages are parchment with black text and artwork. No color.

I don’t think this was used as a color guide for Tobin’s but not too surprising that we ended up with a similar representation.
Tobins (resized).PNG

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

They could be using color tables to reduce memory consumption instead of wasting a whole byte or two bytes on every pixel, they would only have to use a portion of one byte. That could limit number of colors on some screens to as few as 16.

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

And yes, I did mess up the color of The river of slime. Will be fixed in an update.

I don't blame you for skipping watching Ghostbusters 2. I wish I had.

Did you figure out if the gray trap frames are differences in the Pro vs Prem/LE roms?

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Did you figure out if the gray trap frames are differences in the Pro vs Prem/LE roms?

Have not had a chance to check into it since getting back from Expo, but it's possible that's the reason. I didn't notice a problem on the Premium at Expo. Is the problem only showing on the Pro?

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Have not had a chance to check into it since getting back from Expo, but it's possible that's the reason. I didn't notice a problem on the Premium at Expo. Is the problem only showing on the Pro?

We have a Premium and do not have the problem. I assumed it was a difference in the timing of the Pro/Premium roms.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

We have a Premium and do not have the problem. I assumed it was a difference in the timing of the Pro/Premium roms.

Confirmed on my premium as well. I see no issue.

HOWEVER I do have one major complaint... Ever since I installed, my scores have gone straight into the crapper as I find myself staring at the display when I should be watching the ball

(PS it is fantastic, thanks for the hard work to make this happen)

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Ghostbusters 2 bashing on Pinside is soooooooooo 2016.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Ghostbusters 2 bashing on Pinside is soooooooooo 2016.

And yet, with the River of Slime cockup, somehow relevant again.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Just checked more out of interest than anything... If you google the official Ghostbusters edition of Tobin's Spirit Guide, pages are parchment with black text and artwork. No color.
I don’t think this was used as a color guide for Tobin’s but not too surprising that we ended up with a similar representation.
[quoted image]

It's not that I don't think the color is appropriate or I just want color for the sake of color. I like those pages flipping by on the monochrome display and there's good contrast. For some reason the contrast isn't as good or maybe it's the LCD refresh/fade rate or something, but particularly those pages seem to lose clarity and I was brain-storming how to improve it. I wonder if it's better on the LED version.

If the "ink" can't be colored, I wonder if tinting the pages different light colors might help, and maybe also make the transitions more obvious. If the same page is always the same color, it would also make certain pages like the extra-ball more recognizable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Parsippany, NJ
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salt Lake City, UT
$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside