(Topic ID: 199983)

ColorDMD Game 66 is Star Trek! - RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScoreColorLast2Digits (resized).jpg
021 (resized).JPG
9AC2414C-6557-4CA6-AA78-EDD7460A1788 (resized).jpeg
31FA0820-A3ED-4DCD-A18D-4E3BE56B97D6 (resized).jpeg
IMAG0759 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_215026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_214910 (resized).jpg
IMG_3143 (resized).JPG
20171014_140710 (resized).jpg
20171014_140526(0) (resized).jpg
20171014_140526 (resized).jpg
20171014_140445 (resized).jpg
20171014_140725 (resized).jpg
firefox_Not_there (resized).JPG
explorer_its_there (resized).JPG
cdmd_firmware3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Stern Star Trek for PIN2DMD was released long before your release and without having any of the problems you are talking about. So we are ripping off technology and used it months before you made it possible ? Very logical. You are definitely not Vulcan.

They really aren't comparable projects in ANY way. Pin2DMD colors the rom itself, meaning no guesswork on what might or might not show up, where, in what layers, percentage reveal, intensity... Coloring the finite set of still images in the rom would be a bit of work, but nothing on the scale of problem solving required to color a game without infringing on the copyright of the IP owners (Stern). Coloring a game without altering the roms, and thus violating copyright, requires a much deeper level of planning and as I said, problem solving. It's one of the main things I like about coloring games, even before the amazing toolset Randy has developed was realized in its current form - the hex editor days (which is still actually part of the coloring process). No comments on the rest of the post, these just aren't the same things.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Stern Star Trek for PIN2DMD was released long before your release and without having any of the problems you are talking about. So we are ripping off technology and used it months before you made it possible ? Very logical. You are definitely not Vulcan.

Thought I would point out that in your thread you mention that with some new compression algorithms you might be able to finish ST so I'd say it isn't technically finished either. Either way, I agree with earlier posts that these products are for two different end users and any fighting is neither productive as a conversation nor offers benefits to the pinball community. And big time kudos to the team that got this done. I remember a couple years ago looking at the files and some of the complex mode animations and it was literally a nightmare to even conceive the process by which that could be colored. From a behind the scenes perspective, this was a nightmare scenario for a colorist. Randy outdid himself with new tools that are frankly helping to push other projects along much faster. If we'd had the toolset we have now when I did DW, I'd be on my tenth game now not my 5th

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-66-is-star-trek?tu=shimoda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.