(Topic ID: 199983)

ColorDMD Game 66 is Star Trek! - RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScoreColorLast2Digits (resized).jpg
021 (resized).JPG
9AC2414C-6557-4CA6-AA78-EDD7460A1788 (resized).jpeg
31FA0820-A3ED-4DCD-A18D-4E3BE56B97D6 (resized).jpeg
IMAG0759 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_215026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_214910 (resized).jpg
IMG_3143 (resized).JPG
20171014_140710 (resized).jpg
20171014_140526(0) (resized).jpg
20171014_140526 (resized).jpg
20171014_140445 (resized).jpg
20171014_140725 (resized).jpg
firefox_Not_there (resized).JPG
explorer_its_there (resized).JPG
cdmd_firmware3 (resized).png
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago

I love it. Now just need GOT, AP, Baywatch, and Kiss. Hoping Sega games are coming.

IMAG0759 (resized).jpgIMAG0759 (resized).jpg

#152 6 years ago

Ordered, plus another SIGMA LED in anticipation of the World Cup Soccer release!

#153 6 years ago

Installed my display today and loaded the ROM. WOW! Love those color dots! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

#154 6 years ago

Thank you!!! Well worth the money! Easy installation 10 minutes at most! Just Awesome!

31FA0820-A3ED-4DCD-A18D-4E3BE56B97D6 (resized).jpeg31FA0820-A3ED-4DCD-A18D-4E3BE56B97D6 (resized).jpeg

#155 6 years ago

It finally made it.

9AC2414C-6557-4CA6-AA78-EDD7460A1788 (resized).jpeg9AC2414C-6557-4CA6-AA78-EDD7460A1788 (resized).jpeg

#156 6 years ago

Really enjoying the ColorDMD LED!

Kirk, Enterprise.Kirk, Enterprise.

I noticed that the score (and the ball counter and free play message) goes gray every once in a while tho. Bug?

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I noticed that the score (and the ball counter and free play message) goes gray every once in a while tho. Bug?

I noticed this bug on my game, too. Glad you captured it in a photo.

ScoreColorLast2Digits (resized).jpgScoreColorLast2Digits (resized).jpg

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I noticed this bug on my game, too. Glad you captured it in a photo.

Isn't that to show the "match"?

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Hmm... maybe it is? If so, I apologize.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Those 2 digits (1-4 player games) are the same color as the 2 random match digits when the doors open.

#161 6 years ago

We're loving our ColorDMD in our Star Trek as well. One request, the custom message text is showing up in gray. Any chance that can be a brighter color, like white? Amazing job guys!!

#162 6 years ago

I heard back from ColorDMD on the "bug" I noticed and they're gonna see what they can do about it. Quick to respond!!

#163 6 years ago

What LED color DMD settings are people using on their Star Trek?

Robert

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

My flippers seem weak after the led upgrade. Anyone else?
Specifically, I can’t backhand the beta ramp.

Yes I have the same issue... anyone have a fix.

Robert

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

Have not heard this issue before for Stern games, and normally only an issue on WPC games with a dirty flipper opto.

The extra load of the display will cause a small drop in the 12V unregulated supply output. Normally not an issue, but if a flipper opto is dirty and already operating near threshold, the small voltage drop can result in a noticeable difference. Cleaning the opto resolves the issue.

On a Stern game, this is unusual. Does unplugging the display increase the strength of the flippers? If you measure the 12V unregulated supply with a DMM, do you see a significant difference in voltage when the display is connected/disconnected?

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

What LED color DMD settings are people using on their Star Trek?
Robert

7 bright, 7 contrast... I might drop the contrast a notch.

Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

No flipper issues here. Are you running other mods? I'd imagine a LE is a little more power intensive than a PREM or PRO but how much more power can the CDMD LED really use?

#167 6 years ago

LE here, no flipper problems. LOVE the color dots

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

No flipper issues here. Are you running other mods? I'd imagine a LE is a little more power intensive than a PREM or PRO but how much more power can the CDMD LED really use?

I have a premium...just played it a bunch the other day and today when I put the ColorDMD in, the upper right flipper (in particular) seems to be noticeably weaker.

I'm going to play a bit with disconnecting the DMD and re-assessing.

Robert

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have a premium...just played it a bunch the other day and today when I put the ColorDMD in, the upper right flipper (in particular) seems to be noticeably weaker.
I'm going to play a bit with disconnecting the DMD and re-assessing.
Robert

Thats just not possibly caused by the display. Different circuits.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Have not heard this issue before for Stern games, and normally only an issue on WPC games with a dirty flipper opto. The extra load of the display will cause a small drop in the 12V unregulated supply output. Normally not an issue, but if a flipper opto is dirty and already operating near threshold, the small voltage drop can result in a noticeable difference. Cleaning the opto resolves the issue. On a Stern game, this is unusual.

Hey - I sucked on ST before installing my ColorDMD and I still suck. What's the deal Randy?!

IN FACT, I probably suck even worse now as I'm always looking at the fabulous color display!

Man, so disappointed.

#171 6 years ago

Caught another uncolored screen tonite... the SULU COMBO is still grey.

#172 6 years ago

LCD requests! here is a quick and dirty video of the ColorDMD LCD on HIRES, I might have to lower the brightness so it shows more detail the iPhone camera can't pick up in this video, looks much better in person.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Caught another uncolored screen tonite... the SULU COMBO is still grey.

KIRK combo too.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

7 bright, 7 contrast... I might drop the contrast a notch.

Same here - 7 and 7, but I think I'm going to do the same. Default 5 brightness looked too dull.

3 weeks later
#175 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This thread has some info.
ColorDMD also offers a set of washer or standoffs.
I will eventually offer my Adapter ... but probably not a week or two until after HAAG.

Realistically; I don't think my ColorDMD adapters are ever going to go back in stock.
We were surprised by Techshop's surprise closing and entering bankruptcy yesterday:
http://techshop.ws/techshop.pdf

So; given they effectively stole a year and a half of our membership fees leaving me without access to a Shopbot CNC; I don't know that we'll ever be able to re-create this product.

2 weeks later
#176 6 years ago

Now that people have been using this with Star Trek (LE), what do most of you have, LED or LCD?

I can't decide what to get so I have not ordered. I have LED in TOM and LOTR. LOTR looks fabulous with LED. I have LCD in SM and STTNG and currently using dots in SM.

Looking at some of the pictures posted, I think I am learning towards the LED.

#177 6 years ago

I prefer LCD / Dots XL. I think the LED version my be too bright for an already bright game... but I haven't seen an LED in person on ST.

#178 6 years ago

LCD DOTS XL here too

2 weeks later
#179 6 years ago

LED. Vivid bright dots + straightforward installation + cheaper = all wins for me.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Now that people have been using this with Star Trek (LE), what do most of you have, LED or LCD?
I can't decide what to get so I have not ordered. I have LED in TOM and LOTR. LOTR looks fabulous with LED. I have LCD in SM and STTNG and currently using dots in SM.
Looking at some of the pictures posted, I think I am learning towards the LED.

I am in the same boat. Waiting to see video of LCD vs LED on this game. I want to order this badly. Can someone show video of color LCD version please? Does the color LED need any modification to fit the STLE metal speaker panel? Thanks to all for your help here, great work! Very excited!

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

I am in the same boat. Waiting to see video of LCD vs LED on this game. I want to order this badly. Can someone show video of color LCD version please? Does the color LED need any modification to fit the STLE metal speaker panel? Thanks to all for your help here, great work! Very excited!

You can find both on YouTube... or I think in this thread. I don't know of anyone who does a Vs. video.

Neither requires modification but they both need a new clear DMD cover and the LCD requires spacers but the LED fits like stock.

I did LED and am very happy with it... if I liked the "HIRES" smoothing mode I'd be more into LCD, but I am a dot guy and I feel like the LED does dots better, brighter and more vivid. But if you're in doubt, get the LCD... because it does dots well enough, and gives you the HIRES options that you just can't have on LED.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You can find both on YouTube... or I think in this thread. I don't know of anyone who does a Vs. video.
Neither requires modification but they both need a new clear DMD cover and the LCD requires spacers but the LED fits like stock.
I did LED and am very happy with it... if I liked the "HIRES" smoothing mode I'd be more into LCD, but I am a dot guy and I feel like the LED does dots better, brighter and more vivid. But if you're in doubt, get the LCD... because it does dots well enough, and gives you the HIRES options that you just can't have on LED.

Thanks. I found the LED demo of Star Trek but not one with the LCD. I really love the way the LCD does the scores and words. However when I see animations sometimes they look really bad to me. It seems like other animations look ok or good. I prefer not to have the pixel look of dots. However I am beginning to think the animations can't be done right on LCD. I guess I like LCD and LED for different things and I need to decide on one. I was hoping that seeing the video of the LCD could help me decide. I wonder why they used such a huge LCD screen? Does the color LED have the problem that the stock dmd's have with uneven columns and rows? This is easiest to see when all of them are on. Thanks again!

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Thanks. I found the LED demo of Star Trek but not one with the LCD. I really love the way the LCD does the scores and words. However when I see animations sometimes they look really bad to me. It seems like other animations look ok or good. I prefer not to have the pixel look of dots. However I am beginning to think the animations can't be done right on LCD. I guess I like LCD and LED for different things and I need to decide on one. I was hoping that seeing the video of the LCD could help me decide. I wonder why they used such a huge LCD screen? Does the color LED have the problem that the stock dmd's have with uneven columns and rows? This is easiest to see when all of them are on. Thanks again!

The Star Trek preview video was filmed using an LCD in DOTXL mode.

#184 6 years ago

Does the ST Colordmd code need some work? i.e. color glitches and certain modes not colored.
or is my month old Colordmd LED having issues?

#185 6 years ago

If you’re having trouble please send a video of the issue to [email protected] and we’ll take a look at it.

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The Star Trek preview video was filmed using an LCD in DOTXL mode.

The one I saw said it was color LED version at this link:

What is the LCD link that you mentioned? Is there an non-dot mode with LCD? Thanks

#187 6 years ago

The preview video is linked In the first post of this thread.

The LCD supports six different rendering modes including dots and high resolution upscaling that fills the space between the dots.

2 weeks later
#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The preview video is linked In the first post of this thread.
The LCD supports six different rendering modes including dots and high resolution upscaling that fills the space between the dots.

Sorry I don't see a video that shows LCD graphics from Star Trek in the first post or(so far) anywhere? I am ready to order color displays for Tron LE & STLE. I want to see demos of LCD for both games. I don't want an LCD to emulate dots. I will just buy the color LED in that case. Is there demo videos for these two games showing the upscaling mode that fills the space between the dot's? One more question: Does the color LED mount flush with speaker panel in both games? I understand the LCD has to be set back on STLE. Seems like this would affect visibility of display info. when standing back and to one side?

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Is there demo videos for these two games showing the upscaling mode that fills the space between the dot's? One more question: Does the color LED mount flush with speaker panel in both games? I understand the LCD has to be set back on STLE. Seems like this would affect visibility of display info. when standing back and to one side?

The LED sits the same distance from the display shield as the factory display. LCD sits back behind the threaded posts but does not have a significant impact on visibility.

Don't recall seeing posted videos of upscaling for those specific games. Back when we announced upscaling, there was one still frame posted.

#190 6 years ago

I've got the LCD with no regrets. The setback is a non issue for me.

1 month later
#191 6 years ago

So I'd like to order this for my ST Premium, but I am confused and have some questions to be sure I get this right.

First, What all do I need to order here to make this work? Are there different components I need to order? a special mounting bracket? color dmd? some kind of ROMs ?

Second, Right now I have the 1.61 firmware loaded in with the modified movie music. Does this change somehow installing this? I don't want to lose the movie music.

Third, From what I gathered, there seems to be two options for the DMD? LCD and LED.. I am still a bit confused on this and which I should get.. The only thing I have seen to compare this to in person (other than the red DMD that is on my ST Premium (not a comparison?)), are the 2 color DMDs that came with my MMR and AFMr. Do those compare at all?

Thank you very much for any guidance here.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

Third, From what I gathered, there seems to be two options for the DMD? LCD and LED.. I am still a bit confused on this and which I should get.. The only thing I have seen to compare this to in person (other than the red DMD that is on my ST Premium (not a comparison?)), are the 2 color DMDs that came with my MMR and AFMr. Do those compare at all?
Thank you very much for any guidance here.

You need to order the Color DMD itself. You will download the software for your game on their website and install it on the DMD...nothing connected to the actual machine that changes anything or interacts with your ROMS; no worries there

LED v LCD is personal preference. The LCD has more options for enlarging the pixel size, and it's like $30 more. I always get it, some people like LED better so you won't get a definitive answer on this.

EDIT: It comes with instructions on how to hook everything up and it's not difficult.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

So I'd like to order this for my ST Premium, but I am confused and have some questions to be sure I get this right.
First, What all do I need to order here to make this work? Are there different components I need to order? a special mounting bracket? color dmd? some kind of ROMs ?
Second, Right now I have the 1.61 firmware loaded in with the modified movie music. Does this change somehow installing this? I don't want to lose the movie music.

1. ColorDMD is plug and play.
2. Does not affect anything related to game code, firmware/code coloring is in the "display" itself, USB and done.
3. =
A. LED for OEM style fitment, but its harsh as in bright didn't like the little RGB lighting up, some colors really stood out you could see the RGB's fire for which color was being made. I do love the fitment of LED.

B. LCD for best looking... XL DOTs (almost an exact copy for the OEM red dots, just in color), LCD will sit further back away from the lens, you will need foam to fill the side and bottoms for light bleed from the backbox light. I choose LCD b/c I had an LED in my Harley Davidson, swapped it over to my STLE did not like it as stated in A above^, so I ordered an LCD, love it. My GB will get LCD as well. Before adding foam it was awful, you could easily see to the sides of the LCD, added some black foam from Lowes, no light bleed & LCD looks crisp and clean, and easy on the eyes.

4. Order the kit w/ clear lens, everything you need will be shipped. Except for the firmware (download on ColorDMD site)

#194 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Ordered the LCD version with the standoffs. Any idea how thick the foam should be to give a good seal?

#195 6 years ago

never mind, got it. Its about 3/4 inch from the clear shield to the DMD. 2 layered strips of the lightest softest 3/8" high foam all around did the trick. beautiful! Thanks again!

There did seem to be no grounding strap for the DMD, so I made my own with some spare speaker wire going from the DMD ground point to the ground strap on the right speaker.

#196 6 years ago

For Stern games with metal speaker panels, the entire speaker panel and threaded posts are already grounded so an additional strap is not required. The metal display bracket is grounded through the threaded posts and mounting hardware.

3 weeks later
#197 6 years ago

Any news on when a software update for this DMD is going to happen?

Robert

2 months later
#198 5 years ago

Installed a ColorDMD in my Pro and playing with different settings. DotXL or Tile? I'm not sure. What do you think?

Hires looks goofy. Some of the frames look really messed up in HIRES.

#199 5 years ago

DotsXL

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Any news on when a software update for this DMD is going to happen?
Robert

Do you mean new Stern code update? No one knows

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-66-is-star-trek/page/4?hl=otrchief and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.