ColorDMD Game 66 is Star Trek! - RELEASED!!!

(Topic ID: 199983)

ColorDMD Game 66 is Star Trek! - RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by HighVoltage
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ScoreColorLast2Digits (resized).jpg
021 (resized).JPG
9AC2414C-6557-4CA6-AA78-EDD7460A1788 (resized).jpeg
31FA0820-A3ED-4DCD-A18D-4E3BE56B97D6 (resized).jpeg
IMAG0759 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_215026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171014_214910 (resized).jpg
IMG_3143 (resized).JPG
20171014_140710 (resized).jpg
20171014_140526(0) (resized).jpg
20171014_140526 (resized).jpg
20171014_140445 (resized).jpg
20171014_140725 (resized).jpg
firefox_Not_there (resized).JPG
explorer_its_there (resized).JPG
cdmd_firmware3 (resized).png

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 1 year ago

The ColorDMD to support Star Trek pinball machines will debut at Pinball Expo on Thursday, October 11! Thank you to Chris Gray for sharing his game at Expo! Click the link below for the official announcement and release information!

http://mailchi.mp/2e714a6c75fe/news-from-colordmd

ST_2x1 (resized).png

Edit: Video Preview Added!

#2 1 year ago

Ordered.
Thanks

#3 1 year ago

To everyone involved @colourdmd that made this release happen:

IMG_5941 (resized).JPG

#4 1 year ago

Yay, no more red sludge!

#5 1 year ago

Damn. Wish I would have ordered one for pickup at Expo

#6 1 year ago

Been looking forward to this one!

#7 1 year ago

Those screen shots look great. Can't wait to watch a full preview video.
Great. Now I want a st again

#8 1 year ago

Will this work properly with the original ColorDMD from 2013?

I've had a ColorDMD running in blue since day one waiting for this!

#9 1 year ago

The Khan colourisation is sensational, TWD has been the no.1 title to get colour imo, but it looks like ST is going to be taking the top spot, amazing work

#10 1 year ago

Huge Congratulations to Randy, Chris and Dave for taming this giant beast!

The advancements to the coloring engine needed to make this game (and TWD) possible are massive and numerous. Randy won’t ever go in to detail about those things now that other people are actively ripping off ColorDMD as best they can, but trust me, it’s a long line of new capabilities and new tools that are really impressive.

I don’t really expect end users to really care much about the tech it took to get this game done; just know that it was hard. There was a massive amount of effort needed (and delivered).

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Will this work properly with the original ColorDMD from 2013?
I've had a ColorDMD running in blue since day one waiting for this!

yes, just upload the correct software for your version from their site once its released

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The advancements to the coloring engine needed to make this game (and TWD) possible are massive and numerous. Randy won’t ever go in to detail about those things now that other people are actively ripping off ColorDMD as best they can, but trust me, it’s a long line of new capabilities and new tools that are really impressive.
I don’t really expect end users to really care much about the tech it took to get this game done; just know that it was hard. There was a massive amount of effort needed (and delivered).

When people pick apart the "cost" of an lcd screen, thinking that's all they should have to pay for something, they have no comprehension of the work and r&d that has to be factored in to each unit. I'm happy to support ColorDMD as they make these titles possible.

#13 1 year ago

Congrats to everyone involved in getting this one completed. Hopefully the hardest title is done and every other game is all downhill / easier from here.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

When people pick apart the "cost" of an lcd screen, thinking that's all they should have to pay for something, they have no comprehension of the work and r&d that has to be factored in to each unit. I'm happy to support ColorDMD as they make these titles possible.

Great point.

That's why every game I have that had a DMD has a ColorDMD. Ironically, Star Trek got my first ColorDMD screen and will be the last to get colorization code.

#15 1 year ago

I’ve never had a color dmd before. Is it hard to install the software?? What’s required? I just picked up a star trek pro a few months ago.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve never had a color dmd before. Is it hard to install the software?? What’s required? I just picked up a star trek pro a few months ago.

You simply download a file from the ColorDMD site, put it on a USB thumb drive, plug it in, power the game up, and press one button (for 5 seconds).

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

Search on you tube... colordmd install.... its super easy from step a to z

#18 1 year ago

MY STLE is a keeper for me. Love love love this pin and the special detail Stern did on this one. This is one color dmd I will be getting eventually.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

If you buy one configured for the right game software is already loaded. I put one in my MET and installation was pretty straight forward. You do need a kit to install it in metal backbox games if I remember right. It needs spacers and a plastic window. Stern has some hard mounted studs that you have to mount the display back a bit. Is this still correct for ST?

#20 1 year ago

Nice video showing how to install ColorDMD in a Stern Star Trek. Super simple. Of course great install instructions on the colordmd site too.

Quoted from jawjaw:

If you buy one configured for the right game software is already loaded. I put one in my MET and installation was pretty straight forward. You do need a kit to install it in metal backbox games if I remember right. It needs spacers and a plastic window. Stern has some hard mounted studs that you have to mount the display back a bit. Is this still correct for ST?

#21 1 year ago

Congrats to all who were involved in getting this going, and an extra shout out to Randy. I've bought about 10 Color DMDs over the years and the product and support have always been excellent, I actually have more Color DMDs than pins right now

There is no way I would buy a ripped off version from someone else. Great work and looking forward to Ghostbusters

#22 1 year ago

Just a question. Will this require one of the new displays like SM does or can any past ColorDMD be used?

#23 1 year ago

All three games announced this week (ST, WCS94, and Godzilla) will work with any ColorDMD display.

The larger memory added to 1.3B and Chroma boards is not required.

#24 1 year ago

I don't own ST, but I'm certain the color upgrade will look damn fine. Color DMDs are the best mod for any pin, IMO.

#25 1 year ago

Well, there goes another $400. Amazing job!

#26 1 year ago

Congrats to the ColorDMD team!

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why so hard? They do plenty of other games that have full motion video. This doesn't have that much and all the 'custom' animation is cheesy... Yes I own the game.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Why so hard? They do plenty of other games that have full motion video. This doesn't have that much and all the 'custom' animation is cheesy... Yes I own the game.

Full motion video is much more straight forward; it's a set of frames that happen in the same order all the time. Getting the color from the film source onto those images is a different challenge, but ones the tools were built for that the complexity of doing those scenes is pretty much gone.

With Star Trek, almost EVERY mode display is dynamic and reacts to what the player is doing so its essentially different every time you see it, that's what gets complicated.

The 3D rendered assets that get scaled down (and anti-aliased!) to 128x32 are also tricky to color well.

#29 1 year ago

With DH and ST being done. I am finally compelled to buy a couple...

#30 1 year ago

Randy did a lot of work on getting this title done! A lot of changes to the engine that were needed for the guys to push forward after my initial coloring made the difference. Well, that and Chris powering through some of the difficult stuff that daughted me 2 years ago. Of course a single stern code update messed up one single mode that took me 3 weeks to do. Grrr.

So yeah, a huge team effort with coding, key frames and coloring. Many many thanks to Chris, Eric and Randy for getting this one done!

#31 1 year ago

Boo. You suck. Stop this! It's like you are just reaching into my wallet and taking my money!

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

So yeah, a huge team effort with coding, key frames and coloring. Many many thanks to Chris, Eric and Randy for getting this one done!

I didn't really do much on ST, it's mostly Randy and Chris that got it done after your first run at it.

#33 1 year ago

Ordered, and so looking forward to this! Great job Chris, Eric, and Randy @ ColorDMD!!!

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ordered.
Thanks

How?

Do I just order a sigma and wait for software?

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

How?
Do I just order a sigma and wait for software?

Star Trek is on the store already. If you want to prep for WCS or Godzilla, you can just order a sigma with the proper cables.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Star Trek is on the store already. If you want to prep for WCS or Godzilla, you can just order a sigma with the proper cables.

Oh, duh... I see it now

Not sure if I need the extra stuff. Probably, right?

DC0AD7F6-BC03-405A-96BF-3F4F2A180F85 (resized).jpeg

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Oh, duh... I see it now
Not sure if I need the extra stuff. Probably, right?

Star Trek has the metal backbox, so if you're going LCD, then you need the extra standoffs and new clear window, yes.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Star Trek has the metal backbox, so if you're going LCD, then you need the extra standoffs and new clear window, yes.

Thanks for your help.

I’m a little mad about ColorDMD releasing a title I can’t refuse. But I’ll get over once I see all the pretty colors!

9333F3EC-4C34-418B-AD2E-B6DBCB937D30 (resized).jpeg

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Stern Star Trek for PIN2DMD was released long before your release and without having any of the problems you are talking about. So we are ripping off technology and used it months before you made it possible ? Very logical. You are definitely not Vulcan.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Stern Star Trek for PIN2DMD was released long before your release and without having any of the problems you are talking about. So we are ripping off technology and used it months before you made it possible ? Very logical. You are definitely not Vulcan.

I've seen the pin2dmd Star Trek on youtube. It's got more white than color. So ... great job.

There's a ton of new capability in the ColorDMD engine that makes Star Trek actually work in color.

#41 1 year ago

catfight (resized).jpg

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Quoted from epthegeek:

I've seen the pin2dmd Star Trek on youtube. It's got more white than color. So ... great job.
There's a ton of new capability in the ColorDMD engine that makes Star Trek actually work in color.

Not to get in the middle of the whole Pin2DMD vs ColourDMD thing, but honestly this is a milestone title for ColourDMD.

The title that has been on people's wish lists longer than any other title and from the preview images, the years of hard work has paid off as it looks awesome and its without a doubt my personal choice for colourising my STLE.

The amazing work that's gone in to it certainly shouldn't be overshadowed by a dick measuring contest.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

They really aren't comparable projects in ANY way. Pin2DMD colors the rom itself, meaning no guesswork on what might or might not show up, where, in what layers, percentage reveal, intensity... Coloring the finite set of still images in the rom would be a bit of work, but nothing on the scale of problem solving required to color a game without infringing on the copyright of the IP owners (Stern). Coloring a game without altering the roms, and thus violating copyright, requires a much deeper level of planning and as I said, problem solving. It's one of the main things I like about coloring games, even before the amazing toolset Randy has developed was realized in its current form - the hex editor days (which is still actually part of the coloring process). No comments on the rest of the post, these just aren't the same things.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

It’s realy unprofessional of you to post in ColorDMDs announcement thread to promote your own product.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It’s realy unprofessional of you to post in ColorDMDs announcement thread to promote your own product.

True but unfortunately it has become daily practice by ColorDMD guys in our threads. I only wanted react on the accusations.

Quoted from shimoda:

They really aren't comparable projects in ANY way.

Thanks for the confirmation !

#46 1 year ago

Been waiting for 2 years with colorDMD LCD ready to go.

AD39A2B9-7855-4CF3-BEED-E1D7521EFEC4 (resized).jpeg

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from pintechev:

True, but he didn't take the first shot in here and they do it to him in his threads, even though he's not ripping off the ColorDMD process. The whole feud needs to drop, because they're obviously different products and processes aimed at different types of people.

#48 1 year ago

ColorDMD is excited to announce that Star Trek is the 66th game to be supported by the ColorDMD multicolor display platform. With more than 21 responsive, animated modes, Star Trek is the most complex game we have completed and required a team effort. Thank you to Chris Enright, Dave Timmer, and Eric Priepke for their outstanding work on this title!

Star Trek is shipping now from our store site (shop.colordmd.com) and through our distributors. The game is being previewed at Chicago Pinball Expo this week and the color ROM is targeted for release on October13!

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Dmod:

YouTube video

GLORIOUS.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Quoted from epthegeek:

Not impressive

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7,199.95
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Lumberton, TX
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside