(Topic ID: 180640)

ColorDMD Game 53: Don't Open! Dead Inside!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by epthegeek
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD_BicycleGirl (resized).PNG
IMG_2654 (resized).JPG
IMG_2653 (resized).JPG
IMG_2652 (resized).JPG
IMG_8437.JPG
IMG_0029 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
TWD (resized).png
IMG_7825.JPG
most impressive (resized).png
1j9d2y (resized).jpg
chewy.gif
mowing.gif
maggie-600x395 (resized).jpg
full_prison.gif
IMG_9670 (resized).JPG
There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Ohh yeah one other thing, it will take longer then usual I noticed. So let it run for a minute before you think it's not responding.
I was like wtf but it did take at least 3x longer then usual

Cool, I'm gonna let it run while I grab dinner and hope for the best. Thanks for the help!

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Prison multiball that's Lyman with the sniper rifle, is it also Lyman that's getting his ass chewed up when the ball is in the pop bumpers?

I've always thought that pop bumper animation was a little odd. The walkers look more like aliens than zombies.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Thanks, same results though....crazy. I've done this in the past without issues....

Brand new display == use the chroma rom

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Brand new display == use the chroma rom

Where do I download the Chroma rom? I don't see it on the download page.
Thanks for your hard work on this, I can't wait to finally see it

#156 7 years ago

Bam! Thanks man, that was it! I followed the first link for the "colordmd.rom" version and not the "chroma.rom" version.
Thanks for the help, off to kill some walkers in color now.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Has this been posted yet?
Keith Elwin plays. ColorDMD. Adam Lefkoff and Keith commentate.
» YouTube video

Great video.

Could be best color dots on any game I think.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Bam! Thanks man, that was it! I followed the first link for the "colordmd.rom" version and not the "chroma.rom" version.
Thanks for the help, off to kill some walkers in color now.

So did I and I was like what the hell am I doing wrong. Tried the other file after actually reading their page. And Bam. Looks so good!!!

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

So did I and I was like what the hell am I doing wrong. Tried the other file after actually reading their page. And Bam. Looks so good!!!

I told Randy they should put a big pink sticker on the new LCDs that require the chroma rom. He didn't like that idea

#160 7 years ago

My color DMD should be here in 2 hours

So stoked!

#161 7 years ago

I'm installing mine right now, and I'm at the step where it tells me to attach the ground wire to the DMD. I don't see a ground wire in the machine. Is there one for this particular game? I just don't want to zap myself...

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I'm installing mine right now, and I'm at the step where it tells me to attach the ground wire to the DMD. I don't see a ground wire in the machine. Is there one for this particular game? I just don't want to zap myself...

The metal speaker panel shouldn't need one as the display bracket should be grounded through the panel itself. You can verify this by doing a continuity test with a DMM.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The metal speaker panel shouldn't need one as the display bracket should be grounded through the panel itself. You can verify this by doing a continuity test with a DMM.

Right on, man. Thanks!

#164 7 years ago

So I've played a few games and all I can say is WOW!!!!! Best color DMD yet for the game with the best dots ever.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I didn't even see any mention of Chroma on the trouble shooting page, and because I went straight to the earlier linked post I didn't see the two options on the firmware page. Anyway, it looks awesome! I can't decide if I like the classic looking XL dots or the Hi Rez option better.
Curious to hear others opinions.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I can't decide if I like the classic looking XL dots or the Hi Rez option better.
Curious to hear others opinions.

I had a similar back-and-forth (and I normally don't care for the high rez look. Ultimately, I went with XL.

#168 7 years ago

Eric is awesome. The amount of work he put into this was intense.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Eric is awesome. The amount of work he put into this was intense.

IMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPG

#170 7 years ago

Happy for you walking dead owners ! Randy is a great guy , I wish he would do Slugfest !

#171 7 years ago

Installed mine tonight. Swapped from another game. I cut out a plexi glass piece using the red plastic from the game as a template and it ft perfect. Snapped the blade on my ban saw

I found some spacers and was able to mount the display and it all worked out great. Took a while to get this all sorted out but man it's worth it. TWD looks great in color hi-res. The only game left I need to colorize is the Champion Pub. Maybe one day it will come.

Thanks for making TWD even better.

#172 7 years ago

Swapped my lcd from MET Pro LED to TWD Pro... both are pretty nice, amazing work on TWD!

#173 7 years ago

DOTSXL!!!!!

#174 7 years ago

Got mine in the mail today and installed tonight and played a few games. It really looks amazing and adds a ton to the game! I think my scores suffered a bit because I kept wanting to watch the display instead of play. Eric, you have really outdone yourself with this release! Thanks for all the hard work that went into this. Thanks to Randy too for the quality product and excellent support.

#175 7 years ago

I'm really glad you guys are happy with how it turned out. I was worried about some of the places we had to make concessions on how we wished it could look in favor of making it work.

Randy deserves every bit as much credit for this game being done. This was a long road, and he had to make several large improvements to the ColorDMD system to be able to keep up with all the elements of this game.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Randy deserves every bit as much credit for this game being done

Alright we'll give him a little but not too much we don't want to spoil him, there are many more titles to get done yet.

#177 7 years ago

McSirTuna will be streaming TWD premium with the new ColorDMD tonight. Install and hours of gameplay beginning at 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

McSirTuna will be streaming TWD premium with the new ColorDMD tonight. Install and hours of gameplay beginning at 8 p.m. Eastern: twitch.tv/buffalopinball

I love you guys who do all these streams ahead of us getting hold of games and hardware in the UK, big thank you for doing it, it is appreciated

#179 7 years ago

My game had work done by Pinball Refinery and already had color DMD installed and running it with another cable inserted in to it.
I removed that cable that was feeding it info and tried to install TWDLE file but won't restart with new download.
Is there a setting that needs to be reset when You use that additional port for info from game(PinballRefinery cable).
Also it recognizes my thumb drive as flashes once when inserted.
But my mac will only format fat not fat32.
I am putting file on thumb drive by downloading it and then just dropping it on to thumb drive.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

My game had work done by Pinball Refinery and already had color DMD installed and running it with another cable inserted in to it.
I removed that cable that was feeding it info and tried to install TWDLE file but won't restart with new download.
Is there a setting that needs to be reset when You use that additional port for info from game(PinballRefinery cable).
I am putting file on thumb drive by downloading it and then just dropping it on to thumb drive.

The USB drive must be formatted with fat32. Try this. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-format-a-flash-drive-with-a-mac-to-fat32

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

If you have a older ColorDMD, you need to download the colordmd.rom file. Only the newer ones (Oct 16 and newer) use the chroma.rom files.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#182 7 years ago

I received the new ColorDMD yesterday and installed it last night. It looks fantastic! It could be my imagination, but it also seems a bit brighter than the older ColorDMD in my MET. I'm pretty sure I had previously adjusted the one in my MET so it was as bright as possible without looking washed out. Are the new LCD screens they are using brighter?

#183 7 years ago

In my case it could also be viewing angles

TSPP, FGY & LOTR have upright DMD panels

TWD is leaning back

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I received the new ColorDMD yesterday and installed it last night. It looks fantastic! It could be my imagination, but it also seems a bit brighter than the older ColorDMD in my MET. I'm pretty sure I had previously adjusted the one in my MET so it was as bright as possible without looking washed out. Are the new LCD screens they are using brighter?

Do you have both displays set for the same brightness and contrast? I would have to say no. Adjust to your liking.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you have both displays set for the same brightness and contrast? I would have to say no. Adjust to your liking.

I'm an idiot. I was looking at the MET display from an angle. Of course it looked dimmer ...

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm an idiot. I was looking at the MET display from an angle. Of course it looked dimmer ...

I usually watch my games being played by others looking at a wide angle. I just never really paid much attention how much dimmer they can look. I just take in account the LCD technology in general for the overall look.

In any case, I'm sure you'll enjoy lower scores now that TWD has full color. My scores have not been the same, even after 5 years having my first one in STTNG. I can't stop looking at the color animations!!

#187 7 years ago

I usually watch my games being played by others looking at a wide angle. I just never really paid much attention how much dimmer they can look. I just take in account the LCD technology in general for the overall look.
In any case, I'm sure you'll enjoy lower scores now that TWD has full color. My scores have not been the same, even after 5 years having my first one in STTNG. I can't stop looking at the color animations!!

Strangely, I usually do BETTER after getting color, at least in the short term. I'm too determined to see all the cool shit!

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Strangely, I usually do BETTER after getting color, at least in the short term. I'm too determined to see all the cool shit!

When I was beta testing Judge Dredd, I took the glass off and recorded what I think was every mode in a regular game as well as the super game. That was the only way I was ever going to see all the cool shit.

#189 7 years ago

Heh, thought it was just here. My son and I are complete garbage now! May have to do the glass-off trick to see "cool shit".

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Heh, thought it was just here. My son and I are complete garbage now! May have to do the glass-off trick to see "cool shit".

Giddy up. I will not judge you.

#191 7 years ago

Just updated. Awesome job! I'm very happy to support ColorDMD and I know the r&d dollars are put to good use.

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

The wait is finally over!

Meh. Others have been waiting longer for much older titles.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Meh. Others have been waiting longer for much older titles.

Instead of whining go buy a TWD!!!

#194 7 years ago

In classic USPS style mine was not delivered yesterday, all it shows now is delayed with no new date

#195 7 years ago

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Less than a week from the announcement to in my machine and running. Makes the best match screen even better! I never noticed the little things in the old dmd before like the skill shot and the gun changing to a pistol if you don't hit any of the rollovers, or the difference between hitting 1 or 2 of them. I was not a big fan of the cartoon instead of the dots (scan mode I think it's called), but after trying all options that seemed to me to be the best and I love it. I think I even liked it better than the one above it Hi-rez, but would have to do more playing. Fantastic job though!

#196 7 years ago

After getting the color display I am motivated by this game again and have been hard at work to sprinkle in some Neegan sound and change some things up. Here's my new tilt sound
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85245931/Tilt-That%20Is%20A%20NoNo.wav

And a string of Neegan quotes I'm messing with, obviously I am not using them all. I really just want to put maybe 12 or so in since he's technically not even in the seasons the games focuses on. But some of the quotes are just way too cool to not use.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85245931/Neegan%20Sounds%20For%20Walking%20Dead%20Pinabll.wav

I am still loving this game and the color is an amazing upgrade. I'm back to Dots XL now

#197 7 years ago

So jealous...I have tried everything and cannot get Color DMD to work in my TWD premium. Was really excited about it. Worked with support and still cannot figure out why it will not display properly. I just get messed up junk. Swapped out another Color DMD I know is working and have same problems.

If anyone has run into this and resolved, please clue me in on what may be going on.

Tried swapping power cables, color DMDs, ribbon cables, reinstalling TWD color DMD code, etc. Always same result. Get messed up display that shows it is getting info, but not displaying anything in a way you can make anything out.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

So jealous...I have tried everything and cannot get Color DMD to work in my TWD premium. Was really excited about it. Worked with support and still cannot figure out why it will not display properly. I just get messed up junk. Swapped out another Color DMD I know is working and have same problems.
If anyone has run into this and resolved, please clue me in on what may be going on.
Tried swapping power cables, color DMDs, ribbon cables, reinstalling TWD color DMD code, etc. Always same result. Get messed up display that shows it is getting info, but not displaying anything in a way you can make anything out.

Have you set the display to Stern SAM ? I had jumbled letters and found that mine came set as WPC.

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Mine displayed garbage the first time too. I ended up just pressing the menu button and selected the SAM option, exited and saved. I then had a clear picture. Not sure if this will work for you, just sharing my experience. Good luck

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Mine displayed garbage the first time too. I ended up just pressing the menu button and selected the SAM option, exited and saved. I then had a clear picture. Not sure if this will work for you, just sharing my experience. Good luck

This was my experience as well.

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-53-dont-open-dead-inside/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.