(Topic ID: 161613)

ColorDMD Game 40: Spider-Man (Original) -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3321 (resized).JPG
SM_Title_(resized).PNG
Image4.png
Animation1.gif
in_stock_(resized).png
SM_BlackSuit_(resized).PNG
Capturedots_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.52.55_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.53.14_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.37.29_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.31.08_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.30.58_PM_(resized).png
vlcsnap-00267_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
SM_Title_(resized).PNG
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

was this going to be released today?

In post #1 it says it is targeted for Friday.

#152 7 years ago

COLORDMD FOR SPIDER-MAN (ORIGINAL) RELEASED!!!

The color ROM to support Spider-Man (Original) pinball machines has been released and is now available for download from the SUPPORT page of our site.

Thanks to Eric Priepke for his amazing work on this title, and to Trent and Lee for their help with beta testing.

Please note that installation of the ROM file for SM requires a REV 1.3 controller board, and will also require that you store and re-enter your product key. Full installation instructions are linked to the SUPPORT page.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

SM_BlackSuit_(resized).PNGSM_BlackSuit_(resized).PNG

#153 7 years ago

Installed it first thing this morning and I was correct, it's even better in person that the video preview or the TX stream. I'm really impressed with how good many of the nearly undecipherable video scenes now look. Thank you again Eric for all your hard work on this, the game and it's fans sorely needed this!!

Still haven't decided if I prefer Dots, XL or HiRes yet, don't normally like Scan so I haven't even tried that one yet. I use HiRes is all my other games.

#155 7 years ago

A very nice HD customer video has been shared on YouTube:

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

A very nice HD customer video has been shared on YouTube:
» YouTube video

I like how he hinted that Transformers is in need of color.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Installed it first thing this morning and I was correct, it's even better in person that the video preview or the TX stream. I'm really impressed with how good many of the nearly undecipherable video scenes now look. Thank you again Eric for all your hard work on this, the game and it's fans sorely needed this!!
Still haven't decided if I prefer Dots, XL or HiRes yet, don't normally like Scan so I haven't even tried that one yet. I use HiRes is all my other games.

I'm pretty much opposite of you BobUKcat...I have been playing around with the different settings, and so far I have mine on Scan...but that is pretty much what I prefer on all my other ColorDMDs.I haven't really tried Hi Res yet...I've been busy watching/ I mean playing Spidey with the colorDMD... The DOTs and Dots XL don't do much for me... If I wanted dots I could go back to the plain old orange ones. (or in Spidey's case red)

Phoebe

#158 7 years ago

v

Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I'm pretty much opposite of you BobUKcat...I have been playing around with the different settings, and so far I have mine on Scan...but that is pretty much what I prefer on all my other ColorDMDs.I haven't really tried Hi Res yet...I've been busy watching/ I mean playing Spidey with the colorDMD... The DOTs and Dots XL don't do much for me... If I wanted dots I could go back to the plain old orange ones. (or in Spidey's case red)
Phoebe

1. Contrast set to 2

2. Backlight set to 5 or 4

3. Display set to HiRes

This is my personal preference so far. Try it out and tell me what you think.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

v

1. Contrast set to 2
2. Backlight set to 5 or 4
3. Display set to HiRes
This is my personal preference so far. Try it out and tell me what you think.

I set mine to that...looks a little clearer than Scan...will leave it there for awhile and see.
Phoebe

#160 7 years ago

Wow now that is impressive! Awesome work man well done!

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Phoebe

All of my scores have been terrible because I keep looking at the DMD too much! I need a really good player to come over and put it through it's paces while I watch the display. In my limited testing this evening I'm back to liking HiRes again, but I turn my backlight down more because I think it looks better that way - in fact I think I learned that from your AFM a couple years ago!

#162 7 years ago

Is there a wrong way to install the upgraded memory IC chip to the board? The chip has 4 legs in each side so how do you know which side goes to which pads or does it matter?

#163 7 years ago

I took the plunge!I was considering buying a vault edition spidey and then the color dmd announcement hit and pulled the trigger!I got the last one from game exchange,Should be here next week!Awesome game no matter which version plus color dmd now!No Brainer!Awesome!

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Is there a wrong way to install the upgraded memory IC chip to the board? The chip has 4 legs in each side so how do you know which side goes to which pads or does it matter?

There is usually a little half circle looking mark on one end that needs to be matched up with the old chip.

#165 7 years ago

I finally got the ROM installed today. The colors really have been selected to go well with the game, even the translite since there is some yellow text that seems to match the translite to my eye.

SM is probably the game that most benefits from ColorDMD just to give the game a boost on the display which was the weakest aspect of the game. I am not saying it is the best ColorDMD art but just that the upgrade gives the game the visual boost it needed more than most. Well done epthegeek.

My opinion is that SCAN, HIRES, DOTS and DOTSXL are all good choices for this game depending on your preference. I am going with SCAN for a while. I really like the textured look SCAN gives on most games.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Yes, it most certainly matters! Pin #1 is marked with a circle indented in the chip, match that to where the old one is as well as where the board is marked ( I think) for pin #1.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I finally got the ROM installed today. The colors really have been selected to go well with the game, even the translite since there is some yellow text that seems to match the translite to my eye.
SM is probably the game that most benefits from ColorDMD just to give the game a boost on the display which was the weakest aspect of the game. I am not saying it is the best ColorDMD art but just that the upgrade gives the game the visual boost it needed more than most. Well done epthegeek.
My opinion is that SCAN, HIRES, DOTS and DOTSXL are all good choices for this game depending on your preference. I am going with SCAN for a while. I really like the textured look SCAN gives on most games.

That is GREAT news!!!...thanks for the review....I actually use scan in all my others, so super excited for this one!!!

#168 7 years ago

After several games, I lowered the contrast & backlighting some more and switched to dots. HiRes colors look smeared over time.

#169 7 years ago

Got the email in_stock_(resized).pngin_stock_(resized).png

#170 7 years ago

Thanks for the update! I did not get the email but I just ordered mine.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Thanks for the update! I did not get the email but I just ordered mine.

Might want to check your spam box and possibly whitelist ColorDMD -- mail definitely went out. Alternately, if you're a Facebook user, Randy always posts this kind of thing on Facebook as well, so if you added ColorDMD there, that would be another way to get the info.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Might want to check your spam box and possibly whitelist ColorDMD -- mail definitely went out. Alternately, if you're a Facebook user, Randy always posts this kind of thing on Facebook as well, so if you added ColorDMD there, that would be another way to get the info.

Thanks you were right it was in my Promotions email box. Everything ordered so all is well!

#173 7 years ago

Just got mine and installed tonight...looks great!!!...I'm still a scan guy, and lowering the backlight and contrast a bit worked great!!!...seeing scenes I've never noticed before....great work....

#174 7 years ago

Just installed mine yesterday and am overall very pleased with the product, installation instructions, and software updating process. The software does a very good job of emulating a traditional DMD. The only improvement that the company could make is shipping the latest firmware with the unit. Since the units were just released I'm not sure why the firmware couldn't be pre-loaded onto the displays, but this is a minor nit because the update process was super-easy. Well done, ColorDMD!

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I'm not sure why the firmware couldn't be pre-loaded onto the displays

It's just a guess, but I imagine that they have 100 of them all boxed up and ready to ship. When someone orders one, they just make sure to grab a Stern, WPC, or whatever and slap a label on it. If you own a ColorDMD, you need to be familiar with the update process. As you mentioned, it's super easy.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Just installed mine yesterday and am overall very pleased with the product, installation instructions, and software updating process. The software does a very good job of emulating a traditional DMD. The only improvement that the company could make is shipping the latest firmware with the unit. Since the units were just released I'm not sure why the firmware couldn't be pre-loaded onto the displays, but this is a minor nit because the update process was super-easy. Well done, ColorDMD!

Thanks for the favorable review. Would love to see some gameplay videos!

With regard to the question about firmware, the SIGMA firmware is installed by our contract manufacturer prior to test and sealed packaging. All displays ship in the same standard configuration (except for the WPC or Stern wire harness).

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Since the units were just released I'm not sure why the firmware couldn't be pre-loaded onto the displays

That was tried at the beginning when ColorDMD began to ship displays. Who knows...if it had been preloaded, you could have changed your mind by the time that it had arrived and put it in another game. When you do put it in a different game, your screen will not display any animations when I had encountered when I swap between games. So putting it in a different game than was it was programmed for, someone may think there is an issue with the display.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

With regard to the question about firmware, the SIGMA firmware is installed by our contract manufacturer prior to test and sealed packaging. All displays ship in the same standard configuration (except for the WPC or Stern wire harness).

Out of town for 10 days, but will definitely post a vid when I get back....great job as always!!!...mark

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What board revision do you have?

#180 7 years ago

I just got a local guy to install it for me. There is a little dot on the IC chip that makes orientation simple, just match with the old one. Don't know the board revision I had, but chip is in and game looks great in color.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I just got a local guy to install it for me. There is a little dot on the IC chip that makes orientation simple, just match with the old one. Don't know the board revision I had, but chip is in and game looks great in color.

Glad it worked out for you. There should be a label on the board showing 1.3b if it is the latest or 1.3a if it was the older revision.

1 week later
#182 7 years ago

I think I found a small bug in the coloring on the match sequence. In one frame where spider-man falls unconscious, he goes gray and then returns to red. I tried to make an animated GIF to show this off; we'll see if this animation works....
Animation1.gifAnimation1.gif

here is the bad frame:
Image4.pngImage4.png

Thoughts? EP?

btw - not complaining, just trying to help; this coloring job is fantastic!

#183 7 years ago

I saw this on my game yesterday as well. I checked all the match captures I have and they all color correctly in the editor -- so I guess I'll have to do some new captures and see what I can come up with.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Totally makes sense. I'm a software guy and wasn't thinking about the hardware manufacturing part. Again, it's an impressive product in that it's configurable, easy to install, and just simply works as advertised. There are a couple of scenes that are kind of difficult to make out, but that's a function of the scenes selected by Stern and the port to dots. The price tag for the purchase was especially palatable for me since I have a T2 with the original display that was dying...I move the Spider-Man display to T2 when I installed the ColorDMD. Keep up the good work.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

I think I found a small bug in the coloring on the match sequence. In one frame where spider-man falls unconscious, he goes gray and then returns to red. I tried to make an animated GIF to show this off; we'll see if this animation works....

here is the bad frame:

Thoughts? EP?
btw - not complaining, just trying to help; this coloring job is fantastic!

This has been fixed. For the record, EP had it colored perfectly. It was a firmware bug. Update coming...

#186 7 years ago

SPIDER-MAN COLOR ROM UPDATE!

The Spider-Man ColorDMD ROM Version 3.1 has been released and is available for download from the support page. The update corrects a bug that caused one frame in the match sequence to be colored incorrectly.

Thanks to caker137 for reporting the problem and to Eric for assisting with the debug!

As a reminder, please write down and store your product key before installing the update. The key will need to be restored after installation.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

SM_Title_(resized).PNGSM_Title_(resized).PNG

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

SPIDER-MAN COLOR ROM UPDATE!

You guys rock! I'll load this up tonight.

#188 7 years ago

My SM has an older 2.1 rom, do I need to get a new one for the Color DMD to work?

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from cableguy918:

My SM has an older 2.1 rom, do I need to get a new one for the Color DMD to work?

You can update the ROM to the latest version 2.61 from Stern's site for free. You just need a Flash drive:

http://www.sternpinball.com/game-code#

Instructions on how to do the update:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb164.pdf

#190 7 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the fast response. I'll do that now.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from cableguy918:

Thanks, I appreciate the fast response. I'll do that now.

2.61 is noticeably better than 2.1. You'll love it.

#192 7 years ago

I've installed 5 color DMD's no problem, but for some reason I just can't get this thing to accept the code on SM. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

#193 7 years ago

The most common mistake is not hitting the enter button after selecting the last digit of the product key.

The second button from the left is the SELECT.
The third button from the left is the ENTER.

After hitting the last ENTER, one of two things will happen:
(1) The words KEY INVALID should change to PRODUCT KEY if the key was properly entered
(2) The numbers will revert to 8 blank spaces and you'll need to enter it again

If neither of these events is occurring, it's because the last ENTER was not received.

#194 7 years ago

it goes blank when i do that. Does that mean the file didn't transfer properly from the USB?

#195 7 years ago

If it's revering to eight blank spaces, you may have copied the key down incorrectly. Please send a key request with a photo of the COLORDMD INFO screen to [email protected].

#196 7 years ago

sent, thank you for taking a look.

1 week later
#197 7 years ago

Question, i have three stern machines and two Bally/Williams. Do all of these use the same display? And can you add the new led display in any machine or just the CV? I have an IJ, SM, Tron, POTC and CFTBL dying for some color.
Can I just order any LED or LCD screen to fit any of my machines?

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Question, i have three stern machines and two Bally/Williams. Do all of these use the same display? And can you add the new led display in any machine or just the CV? I have an IJ, SM, Tron, POTC and CFTBL dying for some color.
Can I just order any LED or LCD screen to fit any of my machines?

I think the mounting kit and power cable is different for different manufacturers but the actual electronics are the same. Also the ROMs for LCD are different then the ones for LED (Chroma) and they are keeping the number of releases for LED low for the time being to avoid support issues while the hardware is still new and being worked out. So, theoretically you could put the LED version in some of those other games but it would only run Sigma (single color) mode.

4 months later
#199 7 years ago

Just got color DMD for Christmas.
But it refuses to load the USB code.
I have tried 4 different sticks
Reformatted 2 of them and double and triple checked the file name of colordmd.rom
After I hold the button down for 5 seconds the display goes black but no transfer of info takes place on any USB stick.
I can play the game fine in single color mode.
What gives?
I also saw to check for revision 1.3B but I can't find any revision number on my board other then A1.
Here is a photo of my install.
No idea why file won't transfer over.

IMG_3321 (resized).JPGIMG_3321 (resized).JPG

#200 7 years ago

Make sure the file name does not have a (1) or some other number at the end of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-40-along-came-a-spider/page/4?hl=aingide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.