(Topic ID: 161613)

ColorDMD Game 40: Spider-Man (Original) -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3321 (resized).JPG
SM_Title_(resized).PNG
Image4.png
Animation1.gif
in_stock_(resized).png
SM_BlackSuit_(resized).PNG
Capturedots_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.52.55_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.53.14_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.37.29_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.31.08_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.30.58_PM_(resized).png
vlcsnap-00267_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
SM_Title_(resized).PNG
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

According to my captures, my game is running 2.6, not 2.61 - I will get it updated today and re-test things and adjust as necessary before release.
Edit: And thanks much for pointing that out!

Cool. Thank you.
I know that a lot of people did not get around to updating or maybe did not know about that final SM update but it does add a little bit more action to the display.

#102 7 years ago

Hope it doesn't screw up all your masks Eric!

Jaz

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Hope it doesn't screw up all your masks Eric!
Jaz

Looks like it's just a simple background effect. As long as it's a different intensity than the text it's a quick fix. Reading about 2.61 it doesn't sound like much else changed, other than 64 bit scoring, which doesn't affect displays in any material way.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Looks like it's just a simple background effect. As long as it's a different intensity than the text it's a quick fix. Reading about 2.61 it doesn't sound like much else changed, other than 64 bit scoring, which doesn't affect displays in any material way.

Can you make the web effect when the pops are hit a different color from the text?
White webs would probably look good with the text being mostly red and blue.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Can you make the web effect when the pops are hit a different color from the text?

Was going to say this

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Wouldn't look right any other way, now would it? No worries.

#107 7 years ago

Yesssss! Bring it on !

#108 7 years ago

Just tried to watch the Texas stream - but the framerate is really choppy, so it's hard to see how it really looks.

Looking forward to a normal frame rate video of Spidey! (in Dots, please....no smear-o-vision!)

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just tried to watch the Texas stream - but the framerate is really choppy, so it's hard to see how it really looks.
Looking forward to a normal frame rate video of Spidey! (in Dots, please....no smear-o-vision!)

It looks good. Real good.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My spider-sense is tingling.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

My spider-sense is tingling.

2.60 tingling or 2.61?

#112 7 years ago

All better. Move along.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.52.55_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.52.55_PM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.53.14_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.53.14_PM_(resized).png

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

All better. Move along.

That was quick.
Is that Dots or DotsXL?

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That was quick.
Is that Dots or DotsXL?

That's plain dots. It actually took more than an hour to do because [boring technical details redacted].

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That's plain dots. It actually took more than an hour to do because [boring technical details redacted].

Do you prefer regular or XL for this title?

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Do you prefer regular or XL for this title?

On the video heavy games like Spiderman and ironman, I use regular dots.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is the ColorDMD ROM compatible with the latest SM code 2.61? I noticed in the Twitch video that the webs were not showing on the display when the pop bumpers were firing.
Video of 2.61 webs on the display:
» YouTube video

I never did the final update myself , but after watching a bit of the Twitch video...I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see it was updated wit da quickness.

#118 7 years ago

On a related note...did any other games use the video clips in full screen like Spider-Man?

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Not boring for everyone!

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

If you have someone locally who can replace a surface mount IC, it's an easy replacement and will be more cost effective than replacing a controller board. The IC that needs to be replaced is U3 near the AUX connector. The new part number is
Cypress S25FL164K0XMFI011
These parts are available from sources like Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cypress-semiconductor-corp/S25FL164K0XMFI011/1274-1097-ND/4457674)
Rob Anthony (Borygard) has indicated he is able to provide this service to customers who need to upgrade a board. Please contact him for pricing.

The fact that ColorDMD offers the actual solution to an upgrade instead of pushing a new sales speaks to the integrity and business ethics that theses folks have.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

On a related note...did any other games use the video clips in full screen like Spider-Man?

KISS?

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

The fact that ColorDMD offers the actual solution to an upgrade instead of pushing a new sales speaks to the integrity and business ethics that theses folks have.

IMO if they knew some video images were going to be above the memory threshold then they should have put in the higher memory chip in the first place. We paid top money for these displays and it should work for every game as advertised.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

IMO if they knew some video images were going to be above the memory threshold then they should have put in the higher memory chip in the first place. We paid top money for these displays and it should work for every game as advertised.

I doubt they knew. The technology has been evolving over the last few years including the coloring tools.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It was never advertised to be 100% forwards compatible for every title that would ever be released in the future. If you bought a pre 1.3B display it supported all the advertised games when you bought it.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

From our FAQ (http://www.colordmd.com/FAQ.html)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will my display work with new products and features released by ColorDMD Displays LLC?

Future products, features, or firmware may require modified hardware interfaces or improved processing power, and may not be compatible with current or prior systems. We make no representation, guarantee, or warranty that a display purchased today will work with future products or features released by ColorDMD. You should only purchase a ColorDMD if the currently available features and available ROMs fit your needs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth, our hardware platform has been virtually unchanged since product launch in April 2012. We didn't add support for videos until Iron Man in November 2015. A lot of work went into improved compression to try to fit into the existing memory, and it just barely fit. We made a decision to increase the ROM size on new production runs in 2016 to plan for future releases.

#126 7 years ago

No worries I just simply voiced my opinion.

#127 7 years ago

I've got an older Sigma display in ST, hopefully it'll be colour ROM compatible (if that's ever colourised), but I'm not 100% certain now.

Will the upgraded boards be available?

#128 7 years ago

THE COLORDMD PREVIEW FOR SPIDER-MAN IS HERE!

Thanks to Eric and Chris for a great preview!

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

THE COLORDMD PREVIEW FOR SPIDER-MAN IS HERE!
Thanks to Eric and Chris for a great preview!
» YouTube video

Awesome work. That looks so good! I just tried to order a display through your site but looks like they are out of stock? More coming in soon hopefully?

#130 7 years ago

Is the colorDMD sold out ?

How long ?

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I agree completely, was even telling my wife (who mostly doesn't really care a whole lot but indulges me) the same thing at dinner last night. They could have said tough luck, buy a new one but instead showed some actual support for their customers knowing this is a do-it-yourself kind of hobby for most people anyway.

#132 7 years ago

Sorry, our store site is currently sold out. Boards are running through assembly now. We're hoping to have more stock by the end of the month or early July.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Sorry, our store site is currently sold out. Boards are running through assembly now. We're hoping to have more stock by the end of the month or early July.

Thanks for the update and hopefully they will be ready before 4th of July...

#134 7 years ago

So not the original "The Amazing Spider-Man"?

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

So not the original "The Amazing Spider-Man"?

Not sure color dmd has a mount to support this one yet :p

#136 7 years ago

Installed the new 64Mb chip and have it running Sigma again, impatiently waiting for the ROM release! I'm guessing anyone who is going to change the chip out themselves knows this but as a reminder make sure you have the ROM on an USB stick to load post memory expansion.

#137 7 years ago

Did you change it out yourself? Was it it difficult? Do you mean we have to have the sigma ROM on the USB or are you talking about the product key?

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Did you change it out yourself? Was it it difficult? Do you mean we have to have the sigma ROM on the USB or are you talking about the product key?

Yes, changed it myself and it was very easy but I do have years of soldering experience. With the size of the I.C. you can just build a nice solder bridges between all the pins on each side and move your iron quickly between them until it just pops right off. Clean up the pads with wick or a sucker then place the new chip. You have to load a ROM first before you can enter your product key which you also need to record prior to the swap. Instructions for loading both are on the ColorDMD website.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

With the size of the I.C. you can just build a nice solder bridges between all the pins on each side and move your iron quickly between them until it just pops right off. Clean up the pads with wick or a sucker then place the new chip.

Can you explain how to build a solder bridge? Otherwise I would just try to heat each soldering pad and suck it up until each leg from the IC chip is free from the surface pads?

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Can you explain how to build a solder bridge? Otherwise I would just try to heat each soldering pad and suck it up until each leg from the IC chip is free from the surface pads?

Either way will work but if done properly the solder bridge is less likely to lift a pad. Just add enough solder to make it bridge all four legs on each side then move the iron back and forth between the sides quickly until all 8 legs are loose and the chip comes right off.

#141 7 years ago

TONIGHT! 8:30pm CST for one more round of Spider-Man in FULL COLOR by ColorDMD Pinball Displays! We'll increase the frame rate a bit this time!
http://www.twitch.tv/texas_pinball

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#143 7 years ago

what mode is the video showing us, hi res? Would have been nice to see different looks, especially regular dots or dots XL. Thanks for the video!

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

what mode is the video showing us, hi res? Would have been nice to see different looks, especially regular dots or dots XL. Thanks for the video!

Just dots. Maybe we'll do it on more time and change the styles a few times.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Either the video resolution is very poor or the video is showing HIRES/SCAN. I cannot see any dots in the video.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Either the video resolution is very poor or the video is showing HIRES/SCAN. I cannot see any dots in the video.

Sorry it's not up to your standards and super high def 1080p. The resolution is not poor. I (and several others) can see the dots just fine. We do the best we can. Streaming is not easy.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Sorry it's not up to your standards and super high def 1080p. The resolution is not poor. I (and several others) can see the dots just fine. We do the best we can. Streaming is not easy.

Sorry. I was not meaning to criticize your presentation. I have no idea what causes one video to be in a higher resolution from another.
I remember Rarehero mentioning that he would like to see some SM Dots mode video after the first twitch you did (implying that the first video was HIRES) and then I saw this second video and could not see the difference so was assuming it was also HIRES/SCAN.

Thanks for any videos you do regardless of the video resolution.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Just for reference, this is what I see in the video:

Capturedots_(resized).JPGCapturedots_(resized).JPG

#149 7 years ago

I think the only solution is an early release of the ROM so we can see it in person and judge for ourselves! pretty please!

#150 7 years ago

was this going to be released today?

sorry, I just found it.... looks like release is this friday

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 25.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-40-along-came-a-spider/page/3?hl=aingide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.