(Topic ID: 161613)

ColorDMD Game 40: Spider-Man (Original) -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3321 (resized).JPG
SM_Title_(resized).PNG
Image4.png
Animation1.gif
in_stock_(resized).png
SM_BlackSuit_(resized).PNG
Capturedots_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.52.55_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_7.53.14_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.37.29_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.31.08_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.30.58_PM_(resized).png
vlcsnap-00267_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
SM_Title_(resized).PNG

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you want to borrow anything in my colelction just let me know. Happy to lend it out for coloring.

Lend him that Slugfest before you sell it. It likely will only take him 3 days to finish it.

#52 7 years ago

Great news to start the day!
A big thank you from one very happy spidey owner!
Hopefully Ghostbusters can get the treatment soon as well.

#53 7 years ago

Just sold my SM to get a Tron...would have really liked to have added a color dmd into the SM while I owned it. I'm sure it will look awesome like all the color dmds do. Now I just need to add a color dmd into the Tron- that looks pretty cool as well.
Really glad Color Dmd is pumping these out quickly- would love to see TWD done soon...

#54 7 years ago

However the looks it is still way ridiculously overprized.....

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

We need to find Epthegeek a new game for his collection as it appears that his current collection is now all colorized! I did see WOF on his wishlist. WOF Continued would be pretty sweet

I think Hilton needs to loan him his Congo.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you want to borrow anything in my colelction just let me know. Happy to lend it out for coloring.

And if you want me to video capture anything in my collection I am more than happy to help.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Quoted from TomGWI:

Quoted from TomGWI:

Quoted from TomGWI:

YEEEEEESSSSS!!! PLEASE!!! Or if he was closer he could borrow mine!!

Phoebe

#58 7 years ago

Tough decision. I could see them never doing Congo just to teach you whiners a lesson, or doing it to shut you up.

#59 7 years ago

Congo is not available for me to work on. Ifyouknowwhatimean. WINKYFACE

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Congo is not available for me to work on. Ifyouknowwhatimean. WINKYFACE

whom is currently working on it?

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

However the looks it is still way ridiculously overprized.....

So don't buy it. No one else is going to give it to you in color, so the price is what it is.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

If you have someone locally who can replace a surface mount IC, it's an easy replacement and will be more cost effective than replacing a controller board. The IC that needs to be replaced is U3 near the AUX connector. The new part number is
Cypress S25FL164K0XMFI011
These parts are available from sources like Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cypress-semiconductor-corp/S25FL164K0XMFI011/1274-1097-ND/4457674)
Rob Anthony (Borygard) has indicated he is able to provide this service to customers who need to upgrade a board. Please contact him for pricing.

Does upgrading the IC provide any benefit to an older sigma that I bought for my TRON?

#63 7 years ago

I don't get it, I have a color DMD that was installed in my JD, sold the JD, bought the Stern kit to install the sigma in my SM and now I can't use it? This sucks, what do I need to buy and how do I install it?

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Does upgrading the IC provide any benefit to an older sigma that I bought for my TRON?

No. Only need to upgrade the flash memory if you are adding color ROM to SM. SM is the only one that requires it.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm not limited by just what I own. Thanks to some awesome people I know, I can get things on loan to work on. Like the one I'm in the middle of presently.

I'm calling it right here and now: TWD

#66 7 years ago

I don't usually pay much attention to displays, but got the chance to play Eric's Spiderman a few months ago and the color display really stood out on this game. All of his work is fantastic, but Spiderman seemed to take it to the next level.

#67 7 years ago

Larger flash memory required for SM, as mentioned by Randy throughout the thread. Though, look at the ColorDMD board to see if it has "Rev 1.3B" stamped on it.. If so, you should be good.

Quoted from Dmod:

Due to the extensive video sequences, Spider-Man requires an updated Rev 1.3B ColorDMD controller board. The Rev 1.3B board has been shipped with new displays produced during 2016, and contains a 64Mbit flash memory versus the 32Mbit memory used on previous boards. Unfortunately, earlier ColorDMD controllers fitted with the smaller memory will not work with the Spider-Man color ROM.

Quoted from Dmod:

If you have someone locally who can replace a surface mount IC, it's an easy replacement and will be more cost effective than replacing a controller board. The IC that needs to be replaced is U3 near the AUX connector. The new part number is
Cypress S25FL164K0XMFI011
These parts are available from sources like Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cypress-semiconductor-corp/S25FL164K0XMFI011/1274-1097-ND/4457674)
Rob Anthony (Borygard) has indicated he is able to provide this service to customers who need to upgrade a board. Please contact him for pricing.

#68 7 years ago

So if you can replace the IC with the part listed above my older colorDMD will work with SM?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So if you can replace the IC with the part listed above my older colorDMD will work with SM?

Yes. That is what Randy posted.

#70 7 years ago

I watched just a little bit of the Texas Pinball Twitch tonight and was blown away by what I saw! I'm guessing it will be even better in person but my expectations were limited because of how bad some of those clips look on the DMD and even the Sigma ColorDMD. I have my 64M chip ordered and I'm really looking forward to the ROM release, great work and thank you Eric!!

#71 7 years ago

bobukcat, what ColorDMD board revision do you have that you are planning on using in SM?

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

bobukcat, what ColorDMD board revision do you have that you are planning on using in SM?

It's version 1.3, purchased last year and it's already in SM in Sigma mode.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You can change this part without any problem?

#74 7 years ago

When you go to the link above for part, it says this part can be programmed by Digi-Key? Is this anything to be concerned about or just order as is. Thanks.

#75 7 years ago

That's another game that's been colorized I don't have. Happy for you guys though.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

When you go to the link above for part, it says this part can be programmed by Digi-Key? Is this anything to be concerned about or just order as is. Thanks.

Order it as is. You'll be programming it when you install the SM color ROM.

#78 7 years ago

If you swap out the memory, write down your product key (it's listed on the COLORDMD INFO screen). You'll need to re-enter it and save it to the new memory.

Instructions to re-enter the key are here: http://www.colordmd.com/Support_Keys.html

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I watched just a little bit of the Texas Pinball Twitch tonight and was blown away by what I saw! I'm guessing it will be even better in person but my expectations were limited because of how bad some of those clips look on the DMD and even the Sigma ColorDMD. I have my 64M chip ordered and I'm really looking forward to the ROM release, great work and thank you Eric!!

I was really worried what people would think, because some of the source dots are so grainy/bleh. I did my best, and I'm glad you think it turned out well.

#81 7 years ago

One thing that came up with 2 different beta testers was the look of the shot of Doc Oc in the goggles. Here's the actual film frame for comparison

vlcsnap-00267_(resized).pngvlcsnap-00267_(resized).png

Dots XL:

Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.30.58_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.30.58_PM_(resized).png

HD Smoothing:

Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.31.08_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.31.08_PM_(resized).png

And Stern's version:

Screen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.37.29_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-07_at_10.37.29_PM_(resized).png

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

One thing that came up with 2 different beta testers was the look of the shot of Doc Oc in the goggles. Here's the actual film frame for comparison

Dots XL:

HD Smoothing:

What's your preference? Personally, I go dotXL for my games but that goggles shot looks pretty good.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What's your preference? Personally, I go dotXL for my games but that goggles shot looks pretty good.

I like plain dots for the movie clip games - I think your brain does a better job of making the clips look nice.

The comments about the shot were the color (orange right side, lack of any color on the left).

#84 7 years ago

You can change this part without any problem?

Well, as was stated previously it is an SMD DIP package so you have to be comfortable working with these and have the right tools and skills. The same applies to almost any board work though. It also appears that there will be at least on more step as DMOD pointed out with copying the product key. I'll get the chip later this week and then checkout the website for full instructions. Makes me wish I still had access to kick-ass enterprise grade reflow equipment but I'm sure I can handle this one with what tools I have.

#85 7 years ago

Thanks for that, I only caught about 10 minutes towards the 35 minute mark but it was great seeing the colorized screens I did.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I was really worried what people would think, because some of the source dots are so grainy/bleh. I did my best, and I'm glad you think it turned out well.

The shots with JJJ and Robby in the Bugle offices were particularly impressive, I've seen the movies more times than I can count (well, the first two anyway) and I could not make out what the scenes are even with Sigma mode but in the Twitch video it was perfectly conveyed.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I like scanlines. That seems to make up for the lower res look also.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well, as was stated previously it is an SMD DIP package so you have to be comfortable working with these and have the right tools and skills. The same applies to almost any board work though. It also appears that there will be at least on more step as DMOD pointed out with copying the product key. I'll get the chip later this week and then checkout the website for full instructions. Makes me wish I still had access to kick-ass enterprise grade reflow equipment but I'm sure I can handle this one with what tools I have.

I personally can replace most surface mount parts just using a solder iron. Though I need to use magnifying glasses since I can't see up close to see solder shorts. I found many different technics removing surface mount parts over the years working with different people. Rarely do I need to use a hot air station, but I do have access to one at work.

My question was just probing to see what your comfort level was for changing the part.
I was going to offer my service.

#89 7 years ago

I´m happy to see that ColorDMD goes Spiderman. The video scenes are really bad in the original and the ColorDMD Version makes it much more clear. What would happen, if someone takes the SM VE Rom and use it in the old classic SM ? Do i have the new scenes and the rest fits ? Just an interesting question

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

I´m happy to see that ColorDMD goes Spiderman. The video scenes are really bad in the original and the ColorDMD Version makes it much more clear. What would happen, if someone takes the SM VE Rom and use it in the old classic SM ? Do i have the new scenes and the rest fits ? Just an interesting question

Go ahead and test it out and let us know.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

The SMVE rom doesn't work on the original SM CPU, so you can't just straight up flash it. In addition to that some of the modes are different so "Bonesaw" is "Electro", "New Goblin" is "Jack O'Lantern" and "Rescue MJ" is "Tell MJ". And then also you A) DO NOT have J.K. Simmons as JJJ anymore which is a damn crime by itself, and 2) you have the teenage spiderman voice introducing every bad guy mode in his annoying voice.

#92 7 years ago

Ups, there is a misunderstanding, the Gamecode stays like it is, just the rom for the ColorDMD is getting the SM VE code instead the SM Classic. So all original voices, just the videos are maybe the new onces, would that work ?

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

Ups, there is a misunderstanding, the Gamecode stays like it is, just the rom for the ColorDMD is getting the SM VE code instead the SM Classic. So all original voices, just the videos are maybe the new onces, would that work ?

All the ColorDMD rom does is apply color do the dots the game shows. The ColorDMD doesn't generate the display itself. So, no, that would not work.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I like scanlines. That seems to make up for the lower res look also.

I'm a scan guy too....I get it w the large dots and perception, but my eyes get used to the scan as well, and enjoy that look (on all of mine, actually)......

Shown to ALOT of non pinheads, as well (just casual players over to party)...they take scan over dots every time.....just glad there are choices....

#95 7 years ago

I personally can replace most surface mount parts just using a solder iron. Though I need to use magnifying glasses since I can't see up close to see solder shorts. I found many different technics removing surface mount parts over the years working with different people. Rarely do I need to use a hot air station, but I do have access to one at work.
My question was just probing to see what your comfort level was for changing the part.
I was going to offer my service.

Same here, my first real job was working on double sided fine pitch SMD assemblies (quite rare at the time) at a local manufacturer so I'm perfectly comfortable with it. Thanks for the offer though!

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

All the ColorDMD rom does is apply color do the dots the game shows. The ColorDMD doesn't generate the display itself. So, no, that would not work.

Many Thanks, now it´s clear

#97 7 years ago

Remember if you or a friend has another colorDMD that was manufactured recently it may be version 1.3B and you can simply swap the little board. Only Original Spiderman so far needs the 1.3B board. All of the games so far can work fine with the 1.3 board.

Quoted from bobukcat:

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Is the ColorDMD ROM compatible with the latest SM code 2.61? I noticed in the Twitch video that the webs were not showing on the display when the pop bumpers were firing.

Video of 2.61 webs on the display:

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is the ColorDMD ROM compatible with the latest SM code 2.61? I noticed in the Twitch video that the webs were not showing on the display when the pop bumpers were firing.
Video of 2.61 webs on the display:
» YouTube video

According to my captures, my game is running 2.6, not 2.61 - I will get it updated today and re-test things and adjust as necessary before release.

Edit: And thanks much for pointing that out!

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

According to my captures, my game is running 2.6, not 2.61 - I will get it updated today and re-test things and adjust as necessary before release.
Edit: And thanks much for pointing that out!

Now that is service.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 25.50
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 25.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-40-along-came-a-spider/page/2?hl=jim-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.