Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

So I've finally gotten around to doing this, but I cannot get the DMD to turn on. I read 12vdc at the connector, and there's a power led on the back of the DMD board that stays green when I turn the machine on, and then there's a prog led that flashes once, pause, then three times, but no video on the DMD.

Any ideas? The power supply is 12vdc @ 6000ma so I would think it could supply plenty of current to the DMD...

#2 9 years ago

Email Randy at Color DMD - he'll help you out............

#3 9 years ago

It's possible (I know, it's happened to me) that the added current required by the ColorDMD causes issues with your supplies and affects other parts of the system. For example, your driver board isn't running properly. It's much more common to have opto issues.

Did you verify that the ribbon cable coming from the video board is still in good shape and connected properly?

What is the game anyway?

Jaz

#4 9 years ago

Do you also have 5V connected to ColorDMD?

#5 9 years ago

Did you take a look at the troubleshooting guide on their website?

http://www.colordmd.com/support_troubleshoot.html

#6 9 years ago

Did you disconnect the old power wiring completely. In the directions it says to but as I found out you have to leave the ends in the main board in.

#7 9 years ago

I was led astray, and probably have blown out my voltage regulator. Gonna send it in for repair, hate when that stuff happens. Thanks for all the replies though guys, Randy does rock!

#8 9 years ago

Bummer, it sounds like you put +12 on the +5.

#9 9 years ago

Yup, I did...

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Did you disconnect the old power wiring completely. In the directions it says to but as I found out you have to leave the ends in the main board in.

I never noticed that in the instructions but it is obvious now that I'm looking at it. Does anyone know what can happen if you don't? I had been running a Color DMD in my STTNG. When I tried hooking up the original DMD, it didn't work, and I noticed I wasn't getting power from the DMD controller board. Could I have damaged it?

I was only swapped out the Color DMD to try in my TAF until I got a 2nd Color DMD. Now I done really need the high voltage section to work, but I am just curious to know what may have happened.

#11 9 years ago

There are two separate harnesses that connect to the WPC DMD controller board. The low voltage connector on the bottom left side of the board powers the logic section. The high voltage connector on the bottom of the board powers the DMD. They are often zip-tied together.

We recommend removing the high voltage harness to prevent live wires from shorting against you or anything else in the machine. Alternately, you could just unplug it but there's some risk that the connectors on the harness may bang into something they shouldn't. It's safer/cleaner to remove it from the backbox.

#12 9 years ago

not very clear. I still don't understand what to plug and unplug. Right now both got plugged back in and I guess I will put electrical tape over the dangling connector that went to the old Dmd.
    Two recommendation for a 400 mod.
    1. More and very clear directions
    2. Preload the software for specific game if selected.

Great support though

#13 9 years ago

So which of these gets unplugged ?image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So which of these gets unplugged ?
    image.jpg 259 KB

The one on the bottom with the orange wire. When in doubt, you can match up the colors of the wiring to tell which connector goes to the old DMD.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks!!

#16 9 years ago

Isnt it even better to just pull the fuses for the high voltage circuit?

#17 9 years ago

Nothing wrong with pulling fuses. But you still need to make sure the connectors on the unused harness don't accidentally short anything.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-external-power-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.