Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pindog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

For a game such as TSPP or MM, does anyone know about how many frames need to be converted for a ColorDMD conversion ? And how long does it take to convert a typical frame ?

I always see comments that it is a lot of work to color a game but I don't recall seeing actual numbers.

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

TSPP isn't finished yet but over a couple thousand, not including sprites. It is indeed a lot of work, a lot of fun, a lot of problem solving. No idea about MM though, you'd have to ask Randy. Just remember that MM was a different case, Randy was developing the whole system protocol, hardware, and coloring engine while he did it so that one was lots more work. He continues to update his toolset though and coloring now is more streamlined than when I started on DW, in some cases, significantly.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

TSPP isn't finished yet but over a couple thousand, not including sprites.

Thanks for the info.
Any estimate on how long it takes to convert an average frame ?

#4 9 years ago

It is a lot of work to color a game.

Well, that's probably an understatement.

If I kept track of the amount of time it takes to color a game, I probably would come to my senses and play more pinball instead.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

It is a lot of work to color a game.
Well, that's probably an understatement.
If I kept track of the amount of time it takes to color a game, I probably would come to my senses and play more pinball instead.

Yes, probably. While doing DW I rarely played it. I spent days and days coloring, then would test for a game or two, then color for days and days. I really only got back to enjoying the game after I was done.

Hard to say how long any given frame takes. Several might take just a few clicks, but many take quite some time. I've certainly done frames that took several to over ten minutes, especially when testing things out. Doing sprites takes longer because of the generation process, but I got fairly efficient. I've probably spent on the order of fifteen or more hours the last week just tweaking my current project and that was really just tweaking and finding and fixing issues. If you are going to do it right, do a title justice, you have to pay attention to detail and do your research. While I hope I never have to play the current game I'm doing without a ColorDMD I know I will, it will be weird. Once you get used to seeing the games frames in slow-motion, knowing every detail, every frame, over a period of hours and hours a week, and a few months at that, it's very strange to go somewhere and the game isn't in color.

#6 9 years ago

In my experience it all depends on how the dots were drawn. But there are several instances where a 3 second animation will take me about an hour to color. I am not sure exactly how long it took me to do Judge Dredd but I know it was in the hundreds of hours. That said each game is different. The current project I am working on is going much faster. Some of that has to do with the experience gained with the first project but the dots in this game are done in such a way that makes things a little quicker.

#7 9 years ago

Absolutely Gov. Experience helps and the tools are always improving but some games are just a bear because of the way animations and transitions occur. My next game is going to be a challenge I can already tell.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

...hundreds of hours.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like doing a conversion takes a big commitment. I applaud your efforts and dedication.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-converting-frames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.