(Topic ID: 176423)

ColorDMD Christmas sale?

By QuarterGrabber

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I don't think they really have sales, because they don't need to - they consistently sell out at their current price.
    Also, I want to give a plug here for Randy at ColorDMD - I've twice emailed him a question after 8 PM, and both times he's responded within 15 minutes or so. Their service is fantastic, as is their product. Big fan.

But clearly whoever is currently manufacturing these for them is too expensive. I would love to know their cost (and profit) on these but I'm guessing it's not nearly as good as it should be. They could probably sell 5X as many as they are currently selling if they got the price much further down. When you can buy a 32-inch Samsung 1080P television for $240 these days (just a quick example) there is no reason these should cost $400.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Economies of scale. Small hobby business versus mass market electronics.

Ridic. After their success the past few years, you think they could not afford to order 1000 of these from an Asian supplier for dirt cheap?

Quoted from flynnibus:

The unit is their only revenue... the margin on that piece has to float the entire business... staff... R&D... and all expenses.
    They cost so much because they know the market will bear the price and because the margin allows them to function as a customer focused business.. and not some bargain bin place.

I own zero, not one. If they even cost just $300 I would probably have at least a half dozen by now. You're right, they are selling, but I'm arguing they could be selling significantly more and they could be ordering these from a supplier giving much better discounts (simultaneously maintaining or even increasing their margin while also increasing their sales numbers significantly.)

How many people are on here who have balked at buying even one due to the steep price tag?

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Nobody works for Free. A lot of time and effort and programming goes into these.

Actually, there are several volunteers out there making the color animations for these. There are people who are passionate about this hobby willing to work for free (or next to nothing). A great thing!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Newsflash... you don't define the market... nor do you define what margins they need.

Newsflash, I better never see you express the slightest disgust with Stern pricing or anyone else's much less express your opinion for what you think their sweet spot should be.

Companies overcharge when they feel they have a monopoly. The fact that they're probably correct doesn't make it ethical, just greedy. Some think greed is great while others would say it's unethical. You're free to your own opinion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-christmas-sale?tu=Brickshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.