(Topic ID: 151162)

ColorDMD Announces Twilight Zone! -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

install_firmware_(resized).jpg
20160330_170511.jpg
IMG_1950_(resized).JPG
IMG_1949_(resized).JPG
IMG_1948_(resized).JPG
IMG_1947_(resized).JPG
IMG_1946_(resized).JPG
IMG_1938_(resized).JPG
IMG_1944_(resized).JPG
IMG_1941_(resized).JPG
IMG_1940_(resized).JPG
IMG_1933_(resized).JPG
TZ_Hitchhiker_(resized).PNG
IMG_0422_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
pasted_image_(resized).png
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

How fast is their shipping?

#102 8 years ago

Took about a week to get mine in Omaha.

#103 8 years ago

I've gotten them in 2 days from CA to GA more than once.

#104 8 years ago

Just curious if the people that have their Twilight Zone's filled with mods; would you trade all of them for a new TZ color DMD?

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Just curious if the people that have their Twilight Zone's filled with mods; would you trade all of them for a new TZ color DMD?

I have both.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

No way, I would just buy a Color DMD and keep the mods. My TZ has way over $400 worth of mods on it.

#107 8 years ago

Treated myself to one of these for my birthday. Can't wait to get it!

#108 8 years ago

I'm pretty adept at installing these ColorDMD's as I've moved them around from pin to pin, and actually had one previously installed on my TZ and had no issues. I installed it back into TZ on Friday in anticipation of the code, and have had nothing but problems since.

First off, wasn't getting any power to the ColorDMD as well as a mod coming off J116. Couldn't figure out why. Plugged the regular DMD back in and there was a message saying to check F115, F116 and J112. Turns out that F116 was blown. Replaced it, no change. Still no power to colorDMD. Had a buddy come over, he checked a few things out and was finally able to get power to the ColorDMD, but the screen is all garbled. (I've tried installing both Sigma and TZ software on the ColorDMD). I also plugged J604 back in and plugged in the regular DMD and now I get absolutely nothing to the regular DMD.

Any suggestions folks? Here's a pic of what I'm getting on the ColorDMD.

IMG_1933_(resized).JPGIMG_1933_(resized).JPG

#109 8 years ago

Bigbossfan, reseat your big ribbon cable at all 4 of the connections from the top left of the MPU, to the Fliptronix, to the sound board to the DMD controller board.

#110 8 years ago

Thanks Maniac. Done. Although there was an improvement, it did not sort out the problem. Instead of the straight lines, now I'm getting garbled shots. (pics below). Once I saw there was an improvement, thought ok, maybe ribbon cable is pooched. Swapped with my WH20. WH20 continued to work fine with the ribbon from TZ. TZ was the same with ribbon from WH20.

IMG_1940_(resized).JPGIMG_1940_(resized).JPG

IMG_1941_(resized).JPGIMG_1941_(resized).JPG

IMG_1944_(resized).JPGIMG_1944_(resized).JPG

#111 8 years ago

Also, something I forgot to mention. Once I reseated the ribbon cable, and turned on the pin, I was getting the error audible. Naturally I can't tell what error I'm getting.

Also, isn't D19 supposed to turn off once the machine is booted??

IMG_1938_(resized).JPGIMG_1938_(resized).JPG

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Also, something I forgot to mention. Once I reseated the ribbon cable, and turned on the pin, I was getting the error audible. Naturally I can't tell what error I'm getting.

IMG_1938_(resized).JPG

Your WPC DMD controller board may not be receiving low voltage power. Please check that
(1) the connector that was plugged into J116 is properly reconnected to the ColorDMD through the included male-to-male adapter
(2) J117 and J118 are also connected properly
(3) the low voltage wire harness that connects to the WPC DMD controller at J606 is connected properly

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Your WPC DMD controller board may not be receiving low voltage power. Please check that
(1) the connector that was plugged into J116 is properly reconnected to the ColorDMD through the included male-to-male adapter
(2) J117 and J118 are also connected properly
(3) the low voltage wire harness that connects to the WPC DMD controller at J606 is connected properly

Checked items 1-3. All is connected properly. (Even unplugged a mod that was being piggy-backed off of J116). No change.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Checked items 1-3. All is connected properly. (Even unplugged a mod that was being piggy-backed off of J116). No change.

Do you have any cables unplugged from your DMD controller board? The power connector to the DMD is recommended to be disconnected but all the others are still needed.

#115 8 years ago

Only cable not plugged into the DMD controller board is J604 (power connector for the regular DMD)

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Can you unplug the 2 ribbon cables at the top of the MPU and see if the MPU will now boot?

#117 8 years ago

Is the game playing correctly except for the lack of video? Can you post some photos of the backbox so the connections to all the boards are visible?

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you unplug the 2 ribbon cables at the top of the MPU and see if the MPU will now boot?

No change. Top and bottom LED stay lit solid, middle one is flashing rapidly.

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Is the game playing correctly except for the lack of video? Can you post some photos of the backbox so the connections to all the boards are visible?

Tried starting a game. You can tell right away, not getting enough power. Flippers are very weak, ball doesn't eject, volume is very low etc etc. Pics of backbox below.

IMG_1946_(resized).JPGIMG_1946_(resized).JPG

IMG_1947_(resized).JPGIMG_1947_(resized).JPG

IMG_1948_(resized).JPGIMG_1948_(resized).JPG

IMG_1949_(resized).JPGIMG_1949_(resized).JPG

IMG_1950_(resized).JPGIMG_1950_(resized).JPG

#120 8 years ago

There is a connector not plugged in on the third and second last pics? Did you know this?

*edit* I see you mentioned it earlier, my mistake

#121 8 years ago

Sometimes I have to reseat the Z-connector between my MPU and driver board for boot issues. I don't know that it will help this case.

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

There is a connector not plugged in on the third and second last pics? Did you know this?

Yes, thats J604 which is to be disconnected. That's the power cable for the regular DMD.

#123 8 years ago

Flippers very weak means the voltage at TP1 is probably too low. The same supply that powers the ColorDMD goes to the playfield optos and motors. Should normally be over 13V but if your 12V unregulated supply is failing it will be lower. This shouldn't affect the game booting and playing correctly otherwise.

Does the game boot and play correctly with the ColorDMD disconnected?

EDIT: What do you have clipped on to TP1? And what else is plugged into J117 and J118? Disconnect all the mods and see if the game boots and runs. Then connect only the ColorDMD.

#124 8 years ago

Clipped to TP1 is undercab lighting. J117 and J118. Not sure what mod is hooked up to those (got lots). But needless to say, they were all there before when I previously had a ColorDMD installed on my TZ. But, playing devils advocate, I unplugged all the mods, put the game back to stock. No change once a game is started, still weak flippers, no ball eject etc etc.

Checked voltages at all TP's. TP1- 15.8, TP2-4.8,TP3-11.9,TP4-ZC,TP5-GROUND, TP6-75.8,TP7-22.5, TP8-18.3

#125 8 years ago

Would be good to know if the MPU appears to be booting and "playing." If you manually hit switches, are inserts and audio callouts working properly after a game is started?

#126 8 years ago

I think your last sentence is important.
"I also plugged J604 back in and plugged in the regular DMD and now I get absolutely nothing to the regular DMD."

If your DMD isn't working do you think your colorDMD is going to work? Maybe try to get your DMD to work on your TZ and then try the colordmd, or try the colordmd from TZ on another game to prove the colorDMD still works or doesn't.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I'm pretty adept at installing these ColorDMD's as I've moved them around from pin to pin, and actually had one previously installed on my TZ and had no issues. I installed it back into TZ on Friday in anticipation of the code, and have had nothing but problems since.
First off, wasn't getting any power to the ColorDMD as well as a mod coming off J116. Couldn't figure out why. Plugged the regular DMD back in and there was a message saying to check F115, F116 and J112. Turns out that F116 was blown. Replaced it, no change. Still no power to colorDMD. Had a buddy come over, he checked a few things out and was finally able to get power to the ColorDMD, but the screen is all garbled. (I've tried installing both Sigma and TZ software on the ColorDMD). I also plugged J604 back in and plugged in the regular DMD and now I get absolutely nothing to the regular DMD.
Any suggestions folks? Here's a pic of what I'm getting on the ColorDMD.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Would be good to know if the MPU appears to be booting and "playing." If you manually hit switches, are inserts and audio callouts working properly after a game is started?

OK, switches seem to register and make their corresponding noise. Inserts are not lighting up. GI is not lit, Clock is not lit.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think your last sentence is important.
"I also plugged J604 back in and plugged in the regular DMD and now I get absolutely nothing to the regular DMD."
If your DMD isn't working do you think your colorDMD is going to work? Maybe try to get your DMD to work on your TZ and then try the colordmd, or try the colordmd from TZ on another game to prove the colorDMD still works or doesn't.

Actually, yes I did....as it doesn't run off the same connector from J604 (but I'm not that technically inclined!). Having said this, I took the ColorDMD off of TZ, plugged it into my Shadow. Worked like a charm. The regular DMD off my shadow, plugged into TZ. Same result. Nothing.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

OK, switches seem to register and make their corresponding noise. Inserts are not lighting up. GI is not lit, Clock is not lit.

This^

You may get more exposure and help by starting a new thread as it doesn't sound like the problems are related to ColorDMD .

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Can you try reseating the short ribbon cable that runs from the MPU to the Power Driver board?

#131 8 years ago

OK that's good. You know the colorDMD is ok so you can rule that out.

Seems like a problem with 12v and/or the display controller, perhaps ribbon cable, etc. so you can concentrate your efforts there.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Actually, yes I did....as it doesn't run off the same connector from J604 (but I'm not that technically inclined!). Having said this, I took the ColorDMD off of TZ, plugged it into my Shadow. Worked like a charm. The regular DMD off my shadow, plugged into TZ. Same result. Nothing.

#132 8 years ago

OK that's good. You know the colorDMD is ok so you can rule that out.
Seems like a problem with 12v and/or the display controller, perhaps ribbon cable, etc. so you can concentrate your efforts there.

Roger that. Thanks. I know it isn't the ribbon cable. I've swapped them out with ones from WH20. WH20 works fine with cables from TZ. TZ, no change.

As for a problem with 12V and/or the display controller, not a clue what I would do with that. Guess I'll have to be patient until my tech can show up on the weekend. Shitty!

#133 8 years ago

Did you check the short ribbon cable. Pretty sure that's why your inserts and GI aren't working. Probably disconnected it to remove the high voltage harness and didn't align it properly when reconnecting.

That little ribbon cable is what controls the transistor switches for your inserts, solenoids, and GI.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

This^
You may get more exposure and help by starting a new thread as it doesn't sound like the problems are related to ColorDMD .

I was going to do that initially....as I don't think it's a "TZ ColorDMD" issue. But figured......ah never-mind. Who the hell knows what I figured! LOL

Thanks to all though for your help and suggestions so far. One of the many things I love about Pinside, still some helpful folks here!

Reg

#135 8 years ago

Well I had always been on the "not so keen" side of the Color DMD for TZ, I ordered mine and it's extremely well done, and it looks great. Good work!

#136 8 years ago

Hooked mine up this weekend and agree it's really well done.

Which display style do you all think looks best on it? Right now I've got it on tile mode and loving the look.

1 month later
#137 8 years ago

I installed mine yesterday, flashed it with the 3.0 rom file and I love it

I noticed that during attraction mode, when the grand champion score is shown the first two vertical lines of the score (2.290.339.680) are yellow (the same color as the name), the dots in these two vertical lines are supposed to be white.
So far I only tested this in dot mode, but I assume it does the same in the other modes.

I e-mailed this info to the colordmd website hopefully they will fix this minor bug in a future update.
I would also like to see some color during the flipper bonus.

20160330_170511.jpg20160330_170511.jpg

edit**
Chris from colordmd sent me an updated rom version.
he added color to the flipper bonus screen (the tekst is yellow now)
also he fixed the attraction mode grand champion score screen.

I suggested a couple more changes, lets hope they will be implemented in the next update as well.

3 weeks later
#138 8 years ago

Finally got back to LITZ last night for the first time since installing the colordmd ( got to see all those animations)....REALLY looks great!!!...well worth the wait...completes the machine, for me ....thank you, thank you!!!.....Mark

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Dynaglider:

I installed mine yesterday, flashed it with the 3.0 rom file and I love it
I noticed that during attraction mode, when the grand champion score is shown the first two vertical lines of the score (2.290.339.680) are yellow (the same color as the name), the dots in these two vertical lines are supposed to be white.
So far I only tested this in dot mode, but I assume it does the same in the other modes.
I e-mailed this info to the colordmd website hopefully they will fix this minor bug in a future update.
I would also like to see some color during the flipper bonus.
20160330_170511.jpg
edit**
Chris from colordmd sent me an updated rom version.
he added color to the flipper bonus screen (the tekst is yellow now)
also he fixed the attraction mode grand champion score screen.
I suggested a couple more changes, lets hope they will be implemented in the next update as well.

So Is there a newer file than the 3.0 on the site?

#140 7 years ago

ROM UPDATES FOR TZ AND MET!

The color ROMs to support Twilight Zone and Metallical pinball machines have been updated and are now available for download from the SUPPORT page of our site.

TZ 3.1: (04/26/16) Fixed coloring for GS and HS scores over 2B, and added color for flipper bonus.

MET 3.3: (04/26/16) Fixed coloring for ramp combos score, lady just high score entry, and footer text in service menus.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

install_firmware_(resized).jpginstall_firmware_(resized).jpg

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-twilight-zone/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.